• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse trailer dilemma - can you weigh in? Pics on Pg2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse trailer dilemma - can you weigh in? Pics on Pg2

I've been on the hunt for a decent trailer at a cheap price for a few months. I only do recreational trail riding and some local shows - so it need not be fancy and have any bells and whistles. A basic 2H or a stock trailer would do just fine.

Problem is, they all seem to have a ton of rust. And I'm not talking about a $600 piece of crap, either. Trailers less than 10 years old with rust.

So. My friend tells me her friend has an older 2H they want to get rid of, its been sitting. I am like, eh, no thanks. But its 5 min away so we check it out.

It needs basically everything. Its not rusty, but would look good with a paint job. Its the height I want (all the cheaper ones seem to be only 6'6") and it meets the basic requirements.

It needs a new floor, new wiring, some welding, a paint job, probably some brake work, and tires.

Pass, right? Ok, here's the thing. Frame is good. And he wants $150 for it. Yes, $150.

Hubby would do the floor and ramp, he could also do the wiring and tires, obviously. We have a friend who is a welder. So high-balling it, it would cost us about $1500 from start to finish to have it working and looking pretty good.

Would you do it? Or would you just pony up the $$ and get something that's already finished?

My hesitation is that its work, and we are somewhat busy people. There's nowhere I **NEED**to be this summer, but it would be nice to trailer out for lessons occasionally.

My "pro" side is that if its totally re-done, we would know that it was done correctly.

What would you do??
    Last edited by spacytracy; May. 31, 2011, 06:54 PM.

Sounds like a good idea to me if you can plan out some time to fix it. We looked at trailers a couple years ago and could not find anything decent for under $5,000. Trailers that were like 5-10 years old going for only like a thousand less than new.

Comment

• Original Poster

I know! I'm looking in the $3500 range, and I'm shocked at how much trailers are going for. There is NOTHING worth looking at for less than $2000. And every single one that I've seen has so much rust.

I'm thinking, buy it, and if I lose $150 after having someone look at it and say its crap, I'm SURE I could resell it and make more than that back. These people haven't advertised it at all.

Comment

Put a per-hour dollar value on your and hubby's time, figure the number of hours required for that work, multiply and add that to your price. You may find that paying a bit more for a roadworthy-now trailer is actually cheaper. I notice that many people fail to properly value their time when taking on projects to save money; personally, I deem my time to be the most valuable commodity on earth!

If you do the math, assigning yourself and hubby a reasonable "salary" and erring on the longer side when estimating timeframe, and it comes out less than other available options, and you both enjoy (or at least don't mind) this sort of work, give it a go.

If the math doesn't work out favorably, take another look at some of those rusty trailers. You can rent a good sandblaster for not too much money, take an hour or so to blast a small 2H inside and out, another couple of hours for two people to prime. Then you can either repaint yourself (again, 2-3 hours for two people in my experience), or spend a little to have a body shop or maybe a voc-ed student paint for you.

That's my plan for my little 1995 2H GN that has a lot of rust (but not more than surface anywhere) this summer. It'll be a cute little thing again once it's done.

Another thing to consider is that with all that needs replacing on the El Cheapo trailer, there is a reasonable chance that as you enter the project, you could find that there are structural problems with the frame or axle. I've seen that happen often enough.
        Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
        -Albert Camus

Comment

Depends on where you live. I just moved to California and would never buy a tailer here, unless i had money trees growing everywhere. If you live in the eastern states keep looking!!!! If you live in Cali you're shit out of luck restore it... However I would not leap into that hole of fixing a trailer, For instance if you live anywhere near texas look there!!! I would drive the 2500 miles their just to get a good price on a trailer, in the long run would save$$$$$! For instance a $15000 trailer here is like a $6000 one there and a $4000 trailer here is like a $1500-2000 one there!

My advice Keep looking, chances are this $125 trailer will be waiting on you... Take a picture of it and post for better insight.

Comment

I personally would be very hesitant to buy any horse trailer that needs welding. There would be very few places where I would be comfortable with that. If the trailer is in such bad shape that it is worth only $150 I would be running away. In my area it would be worth more than that as scrap. Even after a lot of work will you ever be comfortable putting your horses in that trailer? The obvious lack of long term maintenance would concern me.

I also find that I underestimate time and money on projects so I would add at least 20% to your money estimate for things like: need more paint than you thought, needed more of those expensive screws, missed something that needs replaced.

I personally would keep looking.
            Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

• Original Poster

There is NOTHING near me for less than $2000, and thats something with issues. Called about one the other day, asked how the brakes were, person said she didn't think it had brakes". That was $2800.

Went to look at one for $3500, SO much rust. The photo she had was from like 10 years ago when she first got it. That was 4hrs wasted driving to see it.

I'm hesitant but wondering if I've hit a diamond in the rough.

I should have taken a photo but I didn't. Maybe I'll ask them to come back out and shoot a few pics.

Comment

hmmm i would think about taking a trip.... look on EquineNow.com Equine.com (most websites that sell horse sell trailers, also look at driving 5-600 miles...) its almost summer, grab u your hubby and make a little trip out of it... i would continue looking and not just in a 60mi radius. Also craigslist!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Sure, but the problem is, you're taking it on faith and photos that there's something 500 miles away that might work. Then drive out there for....a hunk of crap, maybe. And with full-time jobs, and a 3 year old, little trips aren't exactly in the equation.

I do understand what you are saying. I see much better deals down south - which is so odd to me. But taking the weekend to find something that may or may not be what its advertised, at the price of gas for a truck, no thanks. At that point its miles on the truck, gas, time, etc.

Comment

For $150 hell yes I'd take a chance, been there and done that, and ended up with a nice trailer.

No DH and I didn't charge ourselves for our labor, we did it as a labor of love, (Me cos I loved the thought of being mobile, him because he loves eating and I'm the cook)

I can't remember all the costs, this was a few years back and in the UK, but we bought her cheap, put in a new floor, sanded her down and repainted, had to rewire, and fix up the brakes. I think we spent twice as much on improvements as we spent on the trailer, I ran it for a couple of years then sold it for a nice little profit at the end.
                    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Comment

so i guess this $150 option is looking like your best bet for now... something you can take home and restore. Good Luck!!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

yea, probably. Not my favorite option but then again I don't have 10K lying around to go with option A! lol.

I'm sure being in CA you are in a similar (although pricier) dilemma!

Comment

you know, when you're fixing a vehicle, especially one that's been sitting, there's always more than meets the eye.

Frankly, re-wiring is a deal breaker. Had my last trailer re-wired professionally- all new lights and all new wiring harness, new battery, etc- cost about $1200. Would NOT have been worth the cursing and swearing from the hubby if he'd done it.

Needs brakes? BTDT- you may think shoes, but if its been sitting, its likely it needs new rotors, or hubs, etc and a $100 job turns into $600 overnight.

Needs welding? Well, if it sold enough to ahve worn through in one or two spots, you can bet there will be 3 or 4 more that need it after the first time you haul with it and hopefully the horse doesn't get hurt meantime.

It needs new tires? hell- I'd walk right there. A trailer that's been used enough to need new tires has tons of miles on it. The one I rewired and sold did not need new tires and I'd had it for 12 years. What else is worn out?

Oh yeah, the floor. and everything else.

Plus, I want to know where you can get all that work done AND A PAINT JOB for under $1500? (Maybe I don't want to know) The automotive paint and primer alone to cover such a large vehicle is going to run several hundred dollars. The enitre job professioanlly done, even by a cheap outfit like Maaco will run over $1000.

Up here, brand new trailers on close out, such as you describe are running under $6000. Worth a drive to Alberta to pick one up?
                          "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh, I'm definitely NOT set. I've been hemming and hawing over it all night! And basically changing my mind a thousand times!

Hubby is a hobby mechanic, does custom stuff, kit cars, etc - so for the most part I trust his judgement on what is sound, etc. He rebuilds cars, etc. His good friend is a welder (and also a mechanic) so most of the work would be done "in-house" so to speak. His other friend does high-end classic cars for clients, and has a spray booth, so we could possibly do the painting ourselves. He did my husband's show car and it looks fabulous.

My worry is that we buy it, rip out the wood and hello! its a hot mess. Oh well, out $150 - so what.

Then again, it'd be nice to just have a finished, clean trailer. Ugh! This is quite the dilemma!

Comment

My first trailer was a freebie, the twin to what you describe above. I spent $900 fixing it up, did some of the work myself, and sold the thing for $2500 after using it for several years. It was a great trailer and I liked knowing that the work was done the right way. I say go for it!!

Comment

I've rebuilt a trailer. The frame under the floor had to be re-welded, but that was the easiest part of it. New ramp, replace floor, paint, re-wire... It adds up. It's a heck of a lot more work than you think it is. and relying on a friend to do the welding, if you don't plan to pay him, will mean it won't get done. So unless you plan to do most of the work yourself, it'll probably still be useless in 2 years.

I ended up learning to weld to get mine done. I knew how to do the rest of the work, but had I not learned to weld, I would have had to ship a horse to our new residence 1000 miles away, and hauled an empty trailer. Trailer was road-worthy, but the ramp wasn't safe.

If you do decide to go through with it, crawl up under the thing to look for rust. Jump up and down on the floor. If the floor needs to be replaced, you're likely to have some issues with the supports underneath. That's the first place rust appears, and the last place most people look for it. Learned that the hard way.

But really, unless your horse is over 15.2h, a 6'6" trailer is plenty big. Mine is 7', and it's overkill for the young horses. My two little ones hauled 17 hours in a 6'6" trailer, and they were just fine. They are both 15.1h+. If the length and width of the stalls is fine, the height just isn't a huge deal unless the horse is tall. Not that I haven't seen 6'6" trailers that would barely fit a pony, but there are some smaller ones out there that will work just fine for smaller horses.

Comment

Just stalk the classifieds in your area. That's what I did, and got what I wanted for under 2k. It needed some work, but my father did most of it as my christmas present. But nothing major like a new floor. It needed one new floor board.

But you have to know what you want and be ready to POUNCE.
                                  ==================
                                  Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

http://reriderandpony.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

I think we decided to haul it home tomorrow, (less than 5 min away) and put it on the lift in our shop to have our welder friend take a look.

And yes, we would pay our friends. All of my husband's friends are mechanically or carpentry inclined, so they all kind of help eachother out with stuff. In this case though we would pay them, although I'm sure it is significantly less than a pro shop.

We ballparked $1500 or so. If I can keep it below 2k and come out with a nice looking and well-running trailer, I'd be wayyy ahead of the game.

I am not concerned about the height, my last trailer was 6'6" but it seems that the shorter height ones are shorter-length too and that is my concern. A bigger horse can fit height-wise, but not length wise.

Believe me I'm a stalker. Daily (sometimes twice) of searchtempest.com (searches all of craigslist), tacktrader, horsetrailerworld, equine.com, equinenow, ebay, the works.

Comment

Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
                                      ... my last trailer was 6'6" but it seems that the shorter height ones are shorter-length too and that is my concern. A bigger horse can fit height-wise, but not length wise....
                                      My 6'6" trailer is long enough to fit the mare who takes a 78" blanket. The little horses fit in there with plenty of room to spare. They both wear 74" blankets.

Maybe I need to ask more for my little one. It was $1500, ready to go. I found many around here for that price, some even lower. For $3500 I could have gotten a WB size, pretty new, with dressing room, ready to haul.

Comment

• Original Poster

Really? Mine was a 6'6" and my 14.1 barely fit, length-wise. But it was only 10' overall length, so I'm guessing the horse area was only 8'.

Maybe I need to go to FL!
                                        The prices here are ridiculous!

Comment

Working...
                                        X