• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Will getting a rooster really help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will getting a rooster really help?

My hens, just two years old and supposedly a good, sturdy laying breed (Buff Orpingtons) have dried up. Not a single egg in weeks. They eat better than I do, plenty of fresh food, layer mash, calcium, grit, vitamins, bugs, table scraps, you name it. Plenty of turnout. I don't think they're hoarding their eggs somewhere because if I keep them in their run for days on end, still no eggs. No evidence they're eating them. Just . . . done producing.

Friend of a friend's wife is an avian vet and suggested putting a rooster in with them might get things . . . flowing again. I really DO NOT want a rooster! But the alternative appears to be four useless hens.

Oy. Options, anyone? This vet thinks she can find homes for them, which is great. But if they could be useful members of the farm again that would obviously be nice. I hate buying eggs at the store!
    Click here before you buy.

No, I don't think it will help. You have to really want a rooster to put up with the hassles. Now I love roosters, and I think they're beautiful and I don't mind the crowing, and I love watching them take care of their ladies, but a rooster will tear up your hens.
    Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

Are they molting? Our previous flock used to molt every summer. They continued producing eggs until about age 8, when they were finally eaten or died of natural causes. Our current chickens are still youngsters, so we haven't had the first molt. Here is a good article on hens who are not producing.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps029

Comment

Keep an eye on them for molt- if they did not molt last season they are due for one, and will stop producing while they do this...the other question I have- Is your hen house snake proof? Snakes will eat your eggs, and if you have snakes in your hen house your ladies will not be happy and may get upset enough to stop laying.

Comment

A rooster won't help...I think that's an odd suggestion! If they stop laying they can still be "useful" if you compost their manure . I have old hens too - they've slowed down their laying but they're pets, so they stay until it's their time.

Comment

Were they broody over the eggs? One of ours refuses to lay when she goes broody, plus they don't lay when they're molting.
            ---
            They're small hearts.

Comment

That's odd. My hens are the around the same age as yours and they are still egg laying machines. I picked up 14 eggs yesterday out of 15 hens (I have one that went broody and has hatched out one chick so far). I have roosters though. If you were closer, I would let you free lease one to try out the theory.

I'm tempted to think you might have a molt situation going on. Mine molted a few months back and did not lay then. Have you tried feeding them a laying pellet or crumble?
              Rhode Islands are red;
              North Hollands are blue.
              Sorry my thoroughbreds
              Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

The suggestion to add a rooster is interesting.
                Does the avian vet think it will jumpstart hen hormones & inspire egg production?

I'd add a rooster only if I was assured I could rehome the SOB if he got "roostery" - a hormonal male chicken can be not only annoying but downright dangerous.
                Especially to guests/strangers and small children.
                They develop a habit of attacking & flogging with their wings not to mention they possess a wicked pair of spur talons.
                The chicken BB Backyard Chickens is full of tales of people injured by roosters.
                And the most popular solution for resolving the issue is Freezer Camp, i.e eat the offender.

My rooster is just now entering puberty (9mos) and I have to be vigilant as he's already gotten snarky with a visiting friend.
                And yes, he will do some damage to hens mating them - one of my girls is sporting a teeny baldspot & another has lost some back feathers from his practicing mounts.

So far my boy seems to acknowledge me as Top Bird, but if that ever changes he is G-O-N-E.
                *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I always have a rooster for my flock and he is brave (protects hens from hawks), gallant (spends his whole day finding bugs for his girls), and a hassle (constantly chases hens around for sex). He tolerates children carrying him around; he is a real gem. However, I would not think a rooster would inspire hens to lay more eggs, but who knows?

My part-time free range chickens typically keep laying eggs until they are 6-8 years of age, sometimes longer. I have all breeds.

Could they be molting? Or eating their eggs? Check their beaks for dried egg yolk. Once you get an egg eater, the rest follow suit. It's a really tough thing to stop.

Comment

you haven't heard any 'I just laid an egg' cackling all this time? if not I vote with the molting -- if you have heard cackling then I vote with the snake
                    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

• Original Poster

They molted months ago. I've had about six eggs since then.

I am not around enough to hear them cackling.

Snake? Hmmm, maybe. But dang, you'd think there would be an occasional egg left--I check daily. They sit in their nest boxes, but nada. No bits of shell, no yolky beaks.

Comment

Something is eating your eggs. Snake, rat, hen, who knows, but something is eating your eggs. I love roos, and wouldn't trade my good ones for the world, but I doubt they help my girls lay. In fact, some of them probably inhibit the laying due to their propensity for raping on laying biddies. A roo will, however, be aggressive towards intruders. That may be all it takes to start seeing some eggs again.
                        ETA: I think you may have mink up there too. They can pretty sneaky, as can weasels.
                        "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
                        http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I agree on the egg eating. Hens will do it. I had to destroy one hen not long ago who was taking several eggs (at least) a day. I finally caught her in the act and that was it, lights out. Can you try a change of scenery..put them somewhere else, change nest boxes, do something to change their routine. See if they lay an egg or two then. Sometimes doing that can upset an egg eating hen. I generally did not find remains of eggs either but I'd find yolk on the other eggs she didn't eat that were in the same nest.

It is certainly possible that something else is getting eggs also or that they are molting. Buff Orps are broody suckers and make sure one hasn't' hidden a nest somewhere. One of my Buff Orp hens did that recently and there were 14 eggs in it by time I found it. I had to throw them all out as I had no idea how old they were. At least my broilers could eat them so it was not a total waste.

Comment

• Original Poster

I wonder if I isolate one hen at a time that will help me find the potential egg-eater. Or maybe I can put my foal watch camera in the nest box!

Thanks for the shared wisdom.

Comment

You can also clip back the top part of their beak (very carefully!) so that they can't crack it. I've three Red Leghorns that wait for my Aracuna to lay so that they can go for her egg. A little judicious snipping and no more egg breaking. But the hens usually just eat the inside and leave a good part of the shell there and there would be a wet spot. If you don't have any of that then you don't have egg eaters.

I vote for snakes. We've big TX rat snakes here that will eat every egg in the roost in one night. I've just gone to checking the nests in the morning and at night.

Oh, another thing...what are you feeding your chickens? I switched feeds because all of a sudden I had no eggs. And voila, oodles of eggs.
                              Horse Feathers Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

They get the same layer mash I've always fed, plus scratch grains I mix up (wheat, sunflower hearts, flax, corn, millet), calcium, fresh fruit and veggies plus they forage outside most days.

I'm not letting them roam until I figure this out. Checked several times today, no eggs. I even put a store egg on the nest box, so if that's still there tomorrow it's a hint to the "no production" vs "somebody's stealing them" theory.

Comment

• Original Poster

So I had a lovely dream last night wherein I opened the nest box to find a few dozen snakes writhing around. I killed them. Anyone care to interpret?

I put a store-bought egg in there to test the "somebody is eating the eggs" theory. The egg is still there, alone. Maybe the hens and snakes don't like store eggs, either?

I'm going to leave them confined rather than set them ranging for a week in case they were hiding eggs. If that fails, I think I'll have to call it premature henopause.

Comment

I'm not the chicken whisperer in the family...

but my DH is..He has 5 Red Star hens that have continued to lay throughout the winter and now into spring pretty regularly. He believes that they must have sufficient protein in their diet in addition to laying mash in order to lay eggs so he gives them sunflower seeds and fish meal every day plus garden vegetables. Maybe try that if the other theories don't pan out.

I know I know it sounds completely batty but we also play intellectually stimulating games with our chickens. DH plays "jump grub" with them..ie he finds a grub in the manure pile and stands in the middle of the flock and says "ready girls?" and throws it up and they leap up and catch it like a jump ball. It's hilarious..We also put single golf balls in each nest at night and they move them around into different configurations.. They will even fly or hop up to the second level of nests with their golf balls (yes we've seen them) tucked under their beaks and collect them into one nest. We really need a hidden chicken cam like they do with eagle's nests to catch them in their wiley ways.

Our chickens are also seriously bad a$$...They are so tough if someone they don't know goes into the pen to change the water they will attack like velociraptors! The new Dobie tried running up and barking at the cage and they all rushed at him with their wings out and squawked "Bring it!" at him so he fled.. LOLOLOL...shoulda had a camera. Totally youtube worthy...

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                      If that fails, I think I'll have to call it premature henopause.

Comment

Deltawave, you're supposed to be able to check their vents and tell if they are laying or not. I've never done this, so maybe Google it or check in a chicken book. This is how egg raisers cull non-laying hens.

That's a really good idea to put the storebought egg in there to see if they are eating them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X