• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tractor implement/attachment questions! :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor implement/attachment questions! :)

I bought a tractor! I'm sure to many of you it's just a biggish lawnmower but it is going to CHANGE. MY. LIFE. I'm very excited -- it is being delivered on Wednesday.

So now tell me what attachments/implements you have that are of great help. I will not be doing much (if any) field work so I'm not going for the mower/tiller options at this time. I'm more in favor of clean-up and maintenance work at this time.

And one specific question -- the front yard/parking area in front of our leased barn gets very muddy and mucky. Soil from around the edges washes onto the pavement, and we do end up dropping hay as we are wheeling it back and forth. My landlord has always been reluctant to scrape with his loader. (Of course he's reluctant to do much of anything so I don't want to read too much into this!) Is there a better tool for scraping mud/wet hay off pavement? The pavement isn't totally level, there are some divots and rough patches. I could either push like with a snow plow or scoop like with a loader; I see pros and cons to each, so what I really want it to use the tool best suited that will hold up to this use.
    Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
    Starman

You can use the loader edge to scrape anything smooth by putting it down and backing.
    That works well for hard to get small patches, or long stretches of bumpy driveway.

If you get an auger to drill holes, get a hydraulic one.
    PTO ones are just barely better than hand digging holes, not worth it at all if you have other than very soft, sandy soils.

If your tractor is quick-change and you can drop the bucket by pulling two pins, get a pallet fork.
    Those you can use to carry a million things and you can put an empty pallet on it and use it to carry around hay or grain sacks and hoist anything up there, including people and materials.

If you don't have a manure spreader yet, you can load the bucket with manure directly from the stalls or with manure buckets and go spread it by dumping the manure slowly here and there.
    If some falls in clumps, you can back the edge of the bucket over them to spread it more.

Comment

Congratulations on your new machine!

It seems like another lifetime ago, but when we bought the farm and equipment I remember taking video of the brush hog, mower, plow and other implements being hitched up and prepared for duty and also being disconnected. The first year or two it was great to be able to go back to those videos when we forgot something or wondered, "is this right?"

Comment

JoZ, congratulations! What kind did you get?

My husband refuses to buy an actual tractor for our 5.25 acres, but maybe if I could persuade him to move up just a bit from our string of garden tractors (which, I keep pointing out to him, we drive to premature deaths because they're just not sturdy enough to handle the stuff we do with them and don't even take attachments) ... My kingdom for a brush hog and arena drag!

Comment

Front end loader.
          Brush hog.
          Flexible tine harrow.
          Broadcast seeder
          Box blade.
          Snow blower.
          Manure spreader.

Could do without the manure spreader, and we have a new zero-turn lawn mower that makes the brush hog less necessary, but it's still nice to have that for tall/weedy/unkempt areas. Which happen. The seeder is only used 1-2x per year (seed and/or fertilizer and/or lime) but it sure is nice to have it when I need it. The FEL and harrow are used weekly if not every few days. Box blade is very versatile but also on the "occasional" list. Snow blower very, very busy for 3 months out of the year.

There aren't many more implements I feel I need, but I'd like to have an add-on cab for my tractor. A luxury, but one that's badly desired in February when snow-blowing the driveway in 40mph winds.

We never did buy an auger, since they're available to rent close by and we're done putting in fence posts for the foreseeable future.
          Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
            F

There aren't many more implements I feel I need, but I'd like to have an add-on cab for my tractor. A luxury, but one that's badly desired in February when snow-blowing the driveway in 40mph winds.
            Uh, this is what children are for! Some of the best memories of my youth are plowing out the driveways and barn areas on the JD 5600 and Ford 550. It was a right of passage to be in a blizzard on the tractors and then come in covered in snow.

Who needs a cab when you can watch from the window of the house. Just don't burn your lips on the cocoa.

Back blades suck for plowing as well as front buckets. Buckets work in super deep snow (when you can only move a tiny bit anyway) but are poor performers for plowing. A regular blade that you can angle is best. Otherwise, make sure you have a float setting on your loader and just be ready to go over the same spot time, and time, and time, again.

Comment

Originally posted by JoZ View Post
              Is there a better tool for scraping mud/wet hay off pavement?
              A powerful leaf blower. (then put down some crush 'n run on the mud that washes)
              The most useful tool you will always love for a tractor is a quick hitch. http://www.greenwellmfg.com/
              As for all the other goodies, I would say wait until you need something and buy used.
              Box blades suck - get a straight blade that has all the adjustments.
              A chain drag for your ring.
              A sprayer with a PTO pump.
              A PTO driven manure spreader. (You don't have to be moving to dump the doodoo)
              A finishing mower.
              ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

We never did buy an auger, since they're available to rent close by and we're done putting in fence posts for the foreseeable future.
                No no no to the auger! We had one growing up, then dad bought a post driver. HEAVEN!!! I will never put in fenceposts with an auger again. He specially welded up a smaller 3 pt hitch attachment system to the driver to fit my little tractor and hauled it to Indiana last year to drive in a new fence line. So worth it. You can get more done in a day than we used to get done in three or four days with the auger.

For the scraping mud/wet hay issue, I think you could probably do a pretty good job with a FEL on float and a lot of patience. The more time you spend on the tractor the more precision you will acquire.

For snow I have a front blade and extra hydraulics that allow L-R angling, which is key since I have a very long driveway, about 1/4 mile. I spend a lot of time plowing in the winter since we get lots of lake effect here.

I have a 40 year old manure spreader that is a nice addition to keep the manure pile down. A spike harrow for the sand ring. A brushhog, absolutely necessary for keeping pastures nice. Forks, which are useful for various purposes. And a 6' underbelly mower, which I use for mowing my yard except for trim, which I do with a push mower. I don't really need anything else though I wouldn't turn down a box blade or a sprayer!
                Last edited by fordtraktor; May. 18, 2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Amen to the patience fordtraktor.

The problem with most augers is if you do not have hydraulics to drive the screw down, then the only force pushing down on the bit is its weight. We put a 10 foot iron pipe section that stuck out from the auger and then sat on that while the bit ran to get any good holes dug. It was a painful ride when you hit rocks though. Most small farm tractors don't have a hydraulic set up to push down on the draw bar or attachment.

Comment

JoZ, huge congrats! And don't be worried about your tractor being a big lawn mower...I just bought a new smaller tractor because my 33hp midframe was just too big and bulky for daily use on my 4.5 acres. I bought a 23hp instead, that small difference in size makes a big difference in how useful it is to me. It fits in the barn, can scoot around tighter corners, is more stable on steep slopes (which I have a lot of), can fit through the heavily wooded areas and still has more than enough hp to do everything I need it to do.

What attachments you'll get the most use out of depends on what you'll be doing with it and what type of land your 5 acres is made up of.

A brush hog is a great attachment, Mr Blue wanted one but we really don't have enough use for it. I have more woods than brushy open areas. Take a good look at your land and decide if the attachment will get used more than 1-2 times annually. If not, then there are other ways to get it done or you can rent something for a day. And even renting one once or twice annually is a hella lot cheaper than buying one. Plus it's one less attachment to store.

A box blade is also nice to have, but I went with the front blade instead. I can use it for snow removal, smoothing, moving earth, etc. More uses and a smaller attachment.

We got the landscape/york rake. This one came with tires on it and fixed tines, haven't used it yet so not sure how useful it will be. My bigger tractor has the 6' loose tine rake without the tires on it and boy howdy did we get a ton of use out of that. Did everything from smoothing our dirt paddock, raking grooves in it after rain to keep it from puddling, raking thick carpet of dead leaves out of the woods, yanking up small stumps, snow removal if there was less than 8" of snow (makes nice grooves so if it melts and freezes again it's not a smooth slick of ice and still has tons of traction) and turning the top of the manure pile. (it's easier to go into it backwards so the big tires are on the manure and not the skinny front tires that sink)

A snow blower is awesome if you have really long paths/drives to do and you get a lot of snow. A plow can only push it so far and after multiple snowfalls the edges get built up really high. With a blower you can keep going without losing power and throw the snow well out of your way. They're not cheap though.

An attachment to really consider is a weight box for the back. If you're lifting anything heavy or shoving a lot of snow, having the back counter-weight makes a world of difference.
                    And get the tires filled for weight.

I'm going to assume a front end loader is already on it? If not, definitely an FEL. And do go with a quick-attach or i-match if possible, makes changing implements sooo much easier and less labor intensive. Nobody wants to need half a day and 2 burly guys just to change out your attachments as needed.

I didn't go with any mowers for mine. I don't have a ton of area to mow and have a ride on mower for that. A tractor is a lot harder to do a lawn with if you have to manuever around stuff, it has a much larger turning ratio. I have ag tires for traction and those chew up my lawn and the mowing bed would have to go on only for mowing. Otherwise I lose a ton of clearance under the tractor.

We just got our tractor on the 13th and for starting out with this one we got the front blade, FEL, 5' landscape rake, i-match and quick attach for front and rear, weight box and had the tires filled before delivery. Mr Blue wants a box blade and backhoe. I have no idea why, he's never used either one and he's already dangerous on any tractor, LOL! I'd like to eventually get a hard cab for it for winter snow removal. Those are wicked nice, but also not cheap.
                    I got the JD 2320, here's Jane:

(I have to paint the rake green, it's been too wet out to paint. And I'm just anal enough that I like all my implements to match, LOL)

So what did you get???
                    You jump in the saddle,
                    Hold onto the bridle!
                    Jump in the line!
                    ...Belefonte

Comment

Uh, this is what children are for!
                      Reed, you've MET my kid. A 40mph wind would blow him halfway to Canada. Maybe when he's old enough to reach the pedals . . .
                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

Reed, you've MET my kid. A 40mph wind would blow him halfway to Canada. Maybe when he's old enough to reach the pedals . . .
                        Why wait? My suggestions; seat belt, wood blocks bolted to the pedals, and slide the seat forward. Then again, you are right, I met your kid. He would be disassembling the tractor in no time. Forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                          Amen to the patience fordtraktor.

The problem with most augers is if you do not have hydraulics to drive the screw down, then the only force pushing down on the bit is its weight. We put a 10 foot iron pipe section that stuck out from the auger and then sat on that while the bit ran to get any good holes dug. It was a painful ride when you hit rocks though. Most small farm tractors don't have a hydraulic set up to push down on the draw bar or attachment.
                          Ah yes, my other problem with augers -- I've been bucked off a time or two! Great fun when you are a teenager, not so much at 30. The other issue, most have a good PTO guard for that reason but you need to be very aware should you take a tumble off the top. No sport in getting an arm or leg yanked off.

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post
                            No no no to the auger! We had one growing up, then dad bought a post driver. HEAVEN!!! I will never put in fenceposts with an auger again. He specially welded up a smaller 3 pt hitch attachment system to the driver to fit my little tractor and hauled it to Indiana last year to drive in a new fence line. So worth it. You can get more done in a day than we used to get done in three or four days with the auger.
                            We've got an auger but even in our almost rock-free soil it takes a bigger tractor to sink that sucker. The 50HP tractor can do it, but barely- it just doesn't have enough down pressure. Even with the bigger tractor we have to use a pipe or something to hold down pressure a lot of the time. I covet a post driver, but they're too expensive to just have sitting around. They're also quite dangerous, so no place around here rents them.

Comment

True shakeytails, my dad has 300 acres, my uncle has 600, my brother has 100 and is a vo-ag teacher, I have 19 -- we are a farming family, mostly livestock, and set a lot of fence. It is worth it for us to have one in the family, not so much for the average small farmette who is going to use it once every 10 years and might maim themselves with it.

But maybe worth it to pay someone to drive the posts and to he!! with the darn auger, unless you have teenagers you need to get out of the house or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X