• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

BM is afraid of my horse. What to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BM is afraid of my horse. What to do?

I have been at my current barn for over a year now and BM is becoming more and more afraid of my horse...but ONLY the BM. When I moved to the barn I was VERY upfront about my mare having a history of rearing with new people. She does not strike or attack, just pops up on her hind legs. In almost 4 years she has only reared once with me while turning her out (and granted my dog had just run under her legs)...I put her in her place and that was that. She has never tried it since with me.

At the last barn I was at I gave the same warnings, told the BM they fully have my permission to do whatever they think necessary to reprimand this behavior. Horse would rear with a new handler, punishment followed, and mare never reared with that person again. Handlers had no problem handling horse knowing her behavior and had no problem issuing punishment.

At the current barn I have been very diligent about asking all the handlers regularly (there are 4 or 5) if they have had problems with her. Most say no problems, one said she reared one time but has not since (and I know this person is a confident handler and would have put her in her place). But the longer I am at this barn the more the BM complains about her being a safety risk. BM currently is hardly willing to turn my horse out (full care with daily turnout). She is only willing to turn my mare out in one of ten paddocks because it is the closest to her stall. Mare does not get to go out on grass because of how far away the grass paddocks are and BM says “she can’t be trusted” and she “can’t take the risk.” BUT…I hand walk this mare ALL over the farm, at all times of day, and NEVER have a problem. I come early in the morning, before they’ve been fed, take her out, no problem. I take her around when other horses are out and ripping around, no problem. I take her out of pasture and hand walk her while the other horses are coming in and being fed dinner (this is the when they usually get riled up the most) and NO problems. Yes, she a fit horse and bound to act like it, but I cannot get this horse to rear or even act up…The other night BM even asked the most timid boarder to bring my horse in (because I have been giving boarder lunge lessons on the mare) and boarder had NO reservations about it or problems with the mare.

The absolute LAST thing I want is for anyone to get hurt handling my horse and I have offered many times to handle the horse for the BM. I have even adjusted my schedule so I can “conveniently” be there to handle the mare….

So, I guess my question is: is this my problem and tough cookies? Do I say something to the BO about it? Is it the responsibility as the BM to learn to handle these horses? What is going on between BM and Mare???

the long and the short:

start looking for a new facility.

It is starting to look like the horse is slowly being set up to fail.
    Originally posted by BigMama1
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

I'm going take the other side and say that your horse is a huge liability risk.
      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

I think your BM is wrong.

You fixed the mare yourself. In fact, you can't get her to make the rearing mistake with you so that you can train her again.

You told everyone. You gave them permission to handle or train her as they saw fit so that she would be safe with them.

Other people have figured out this mare.

Your BM seems to be the one person unable or unwilling to do this with your mare.

Why do you think that is? Can you help the BM get over this? BM handles the horse with you there telling her how to make a correction that will stick?

I'd start with the BM-- on how to fix the problem with the mare first. No accusation, just "what's the solution? I'm sure we can find one."

I think people, especially pros, who feel challenged by horses eventually come to resent them. If your BM has already tipped over this threshold, you may have a problem. Do you get the sense that the BM takes orders from the BO? In so, you can try with the BM and then ask the same question about fixing the problem with the BO, too. Do your best to listen to what they say, not just defend your mare.

If this creates animosity, then I think you have your answer. It will continue as is until your mare gets an undeserved reputation.
        The armchair saddler
        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

If the BM is allowing your horse to rear and not reprimanding her when she does it, than he/she is teaching the horse that rearing is the answer and therefore making her MORE dangerous. I'm on your side, they should be helping you fix the problem instead of making it worse, as well as neglecting to give your mare the turnout time she needs.

I would be outta there if you depend on full care. If you don't and everything else is good, stay and take care of her yourself.

Comment

The other night BM even asked the most timid boarder to bring my horse in
            somehow I missed that in the OP...

a special reason to get a timid boarder to bring in this horse?
            Originally posted by BigMama1
            Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

You can go to the BO, but what is he/she supposed to do? If the BM is frightened, there's no amount of bossing that's going to change that. You have three options: do all the handling yourself, schedule handlers other than the BM, or move.
              "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
              http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

Sadly i would say the BM has 'the right' to not handle any horse she/he feels is dangerous. You've already asid your horse rears on occassion, while most horse savvy poeple won't have an issue with it, BM obviously does and doesn't want to risk being injured (which I can TOTALLY understand).

I would move.
                I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Comment

Its her barn her rules. If she doesnt like your mare you need to either fix the mare or move. I love my BM but shes a chicken.

I live in 2 barns. I switched 2 of my horses because I needed an indoor for a few weeks last winter. "Roy" was taken to chicken BM.

"Roy" wasnt turned out by Chicken becuase the weather was nasty and the water would freeze. So Roy was energetic. OK more than that. He was nervous . He didnt like the dark barn where he was. He pawed and bucked and kicked, he went nuts when the horse next to him left to be worked. We came in and set him strait every time and let him loose to play. The BM wouldnt even go in to clean his stall. Was he a danger? Nope. But I know this horse and my kid rides him. So I know why he was acting up. But she was scared of him. Really scared he would kick or rear or hurt her. She swears he kicked at her with both feet I know this horse. My kid wouldnt be near him if he kicked. But she swears it.
                  “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

While I think she sounds like a weenie, I can understand why she would want to be extra cautious with her job. You can't exactly work at a barn if you're busted up. However, the fact that she had a *timid* boarder bring in a horse that has a history of rearing with new handlers and who she herself is scared of? That is absolutely not okay and leads me to question her judgment.
                    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

I would find a new barn if possible. If BM is that afraid of your horse what will happen if there is an emergency and your horse must be moved immediately?????

Comment

Wouldn't it be best if he horse could be on 24/7 pasture/paddock and a BM would only have to feed and water through the fence? You could even offer to build a portable stall yourself.

Might even find another boarder willing to keep her horse with yours, out 24/7 with some kind of shelter.

Comment

In your BO's defense, it seems that a lot of owners have a sort of 'barn blindness' about their horses. For example, I board one mare who would viciously charge at the bars at the front of her stall whenever another horse went by...I mean barring teeth and slamming the bars. Most learned to ignore her, but the last straw was when I was leading a new timid mare by and the mare freaked (the one I was leading) and went down in the aisle, with legs flailing.

That was the last straw, and the witch was moved to a back corner where she can't scare anyone.

The owner, when informed, said 'really?''she does? as if she'd never witnessed this (yeah right, after a year?) the burn marks on the rubber mating kind of backed me up.

I don't think most owner's see their horses during times of stress (ie turnout in the morning, bringing in a night), when the horses are a little anxious....that's when the true colors come out. Or more often, live in denial....not saying this is the case with the OP, but I've seen it so many times.

Comment

I have to agree with the horse being a liability.

No, it is not the BM's responsibility to "learn" to handle your horse, especially with its past history of rearing on its handlers.

Your best bet is to move where hopefully you can find a barn where the BM doesn't have an issue with this.
                            I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Comment

Given the OP's name "Dangerhorse" it sounds like he/she is very aware of her horse's behaviour. The tough thing is that your horse is random, so your opportunities for teaching the horse are limited. I would say that if you are not worried about your horse being dangerous then you need to get a bunch of your friends (because your horse isn't dangerous - right?) and get them to lead the horse in and out and in and out, so lots of "new people" are handling the horse and hopefully providing learning opportunities.

If you weren't concerned about your horse's behaviour you would never have alerted the BM when you moved to this barn.

It is not her responsibility to take risks or teach your horse manners.

Comment

I can sympathize with the OP. It's really hard to 'discipline' your horse for behavior it never, ever displays with you. Honestly, the longer I am around horses, the more I realize there are an awful lot of people out there who "love" horses, but who are deep down (and sometimes, not so deep down), scared to death of them. They are fine with the super quiet, totally non-reactive animal, but cannot handle even the slightest 'deviation' from 'equine saint.'
                                Donerail Farm
                                www.donerailfarm.com
                                http://donerailfarm.wordpress.com/

Comment

Find a new barn.
                                  I have a perfect gentleman of a TB, but he was by far and away the biggest horse at my old barn at 17h. He was put in a stall with limited turnout (as opposed to field board) due to an injury, and naturally became agitated (pacing). The BM refused to touch him. I left shortly thereafter. What if she was the only one there and: he was cast in his stall?? Got loose and was running merrily around? Got caught somewhere and was panicked? I didn't want to wait to find out.

That being said, good manners on the horse's part are necessary if someone else is going to be handling them. My oldest Morgan was a jerk and would routinely throw his shoulder into the lead rope and take off. A few months of a chain fixed that, and until he learned how to walk like a gentleman, no one else touched him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate66 View Post

It is not her responsibility to take risks or teach your horse manners.
                                    Ditto this.
                                    Alis volat propriis.

Comment

If the BM feels he is dangerous, it sounds like time for a new barn.

I have one that goes up when he's afraid or very nervous (never under saddle). We don't let many people handle him because of it. Unfortunately, which I'm sure you know, OP, horses read people very well. If OP is afraid, it's probably upping the anti.

Right now, with AniMed VitaCalm, and as long as you stick to a fairly consistent routine, he's the calmest horse in the barn. Go figure.

Comment

Something doesn't add up here. While I can understand BM being afraid of a horse that rears, it shocks me that BM would send a boarder to get a horse that BM considers dangerous. I'd want to have a serious convo with BM to see if there is any solution, and make clear that if the answer is no that you'll be looking elsewhere. Like others have said, if BM is letting the horse get away with bad behavior, its just creating more of a problem for OP in the long run. Maybe an offer to be there while BM handles the mare so you can assist if an issue comes up?

And I really sympathize with OP because my first horse would similarly test the waters with new people and rear on the lead. We were at a self care facility at the time though so pretty much only myself and my trainer handled my horse which made it easier to reprimand for bad behavior.

Comment

Working...
                                        X