• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

BO/BM Rant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BO/BM Rant

When you run a boarding barn is it your job. When I interview for you to care for my horses it is like interviewing someone to take care of my kids. I tell you up front what I am looking for, clean stalls, WATER for my horses, good hay and grain. I want my horses fed at the same time every day or close to it. I explain the turnout I am looking for, how my horses are cared for, the supplements that I feed them. I pay what you are asking in return I expect you to do the job we agreed upon. It is a job, just like every other job. When you go to work there are set hours for lunch, when you need to come in etc. You have duties you have to do. You can't just pick and choose when to do things, it doesn't work that way. This is no different. You can't just decide to leave for the weekend and let some yahoo that doesn't know how to feed my horses or clean stalls in charge of my horses care. You can't just waltz into the barn at 7 on a sunday night to feed my horses because you were at Easter with your family. WTF. I pay you to care for my horses. Simple as that. I water the arena, drag the arena, clean my own stalls when they aren't done when I get to the barn. I have to come to the barn and look after the people you put in charge when you are out of town, because they are STUPID!!!! I buy my one horse his own grain and get no discount.....is it to much to ask you to do your job????? I was a BM for 2 years, I missed family get togethers because they decided on a time that didnt work for me because of the job at the barn. I didn't get to leave on the weekends here and there, because I had a job. All horses were cared for the way the owners wanted them to be, all 20 of them.....all stall horses. You have 6 stall horses, 3 of your own, and 10 rough board horses, 2 of those your own. What is up with that? I don't think it is to much to ask you to do your JOB and take care of my boys the way we agreed before I moved into your barn.

Perhaps you need to move to a barn that is more willing to meet your demands.

I can understand some of your concerns but I have to say the one about getting there at 7pm because they were at a family gathering, to me, is just a non-event. Yes, horses are creatures of habit but are they going to fret and die because once the BM fed a bit later - most likely not.

And, she can "just waltz into the barn" whenever she likes, because it's her barn. Unfortunately like any business, if you don't like her product, then you buy someone else's.

Comment

Well........I was with you until

I was with you until you complained about your horse getting fed later on a Holiday. Sorry but even though you are paying for a service your barn owner has a life and Family and often Easter is a HUGE Family holiday. How many holidays has this BO missed so that she could care for the horses? Do you get any time off from your job? Do you get OT on Holidays or weekends?

The reality is that most barn owners make less then what people will pay for an hour massage on their horse per month and work 7 days a week 365 days a year. In my case my "pay" is less then 6.00 per hour. If you can be so selfish as to begrudge this person a few hours away from work, you need to look at buying your own place or self care.

Comment

I can agree with some of your points, but the reality is that people need breaks too. As a barn owner/manager myself I stick to a schedule all the time and I do my best to care for everyone's horses the way they want them to be. I have no issues letting horses out individually or in small groups- whatever their owner's preference is. And I don't charge extra to put in supplements, change the blankets, do medications, etc. I make certain all stalls are cleaned daily (holidays too), horses have fresh water and high quality hay and grain. However, if I am an hour or two late to clean the stalls (trust me they will definitely be cleaned that day) because I have something to take care of (example- an injured horse, running my dog to the vet clinic, putting a newly delivered load of sawdust away before it rains- things like that) it's not the end of the world. Your horse (and I mean this in general, not you specifically) is not being neglected at all. I don't make much money if you break down what I earn vs how many hours I work. I don't mind that at all as I knew the reality going into this business. However, I do expect my boarders to understand that I need breaks too and I have other things going on that have to be taken care of as well (it's called Life!).

And yes- I am entitled to go for a movie on a Sunday afternoon if I choose to do so and I can take my lunch breaks whenever I choose.
        www.springwillowsfarm.com

Comment

If you truly did discuss everything you expected before you signed the contract including your unwillingness to be a little flexible about the small stuff I'm really surprised they took your horse in the first place.

I take care of my own horses and quiet frankly they do much better when off the farm competing and have less stress because they are NOT tied to a strict schedule at home.

Yes, hay, grain and water are a must. But there is a big difference in standing in filth all day and the temporary help not doing a great job cleaning a stall.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh she has breaks - M-F from 8:30a.m. until 5 pm and then from 6 pm - until the next morning. She doesn't work off the farm. Her farm is also paid in full, her father bought it for her, she pays taxes with the money she gets from leasing all her other acres out to the other farmers in the area. We know what she makes per horse. I know she doesn't always grain the outside horses, or if she is short on hay that she brings over from her house in her truck then they just get what she has, she isn't going back to get more - however that isn;t of my concern, I only care about my boys. If the roughboard horse's owners don't check up on their horses then thats their deal.

She could have cleaned the stalls in the morning easter morning, hers were cleaned, I asked her what happened, she said she was tired driving back from her boyfriends the night before so she left mine until that night. I was there the night before, took time away from my step sons wedding in high heels and black dress checking on my horses, cleaning up their stalls, making sure they had water, etc. Why do I have to do that??? Because there are times when they have been without water, the autowaters have been plugged up and not working, or the people she has running the barn didn't fill up the buckets. Sorry but my horses will not go without water not at all.
            She goes to her boyfriends in another state a couple weekends a month - great so tell me, I will do my horses myself, I don't have a problem with that. But don't have some dimwhit take care of my horses.
            Yes she has a life, and she has plenty of time to enjoy it.

No my horses won't die if there stalls aren't cleaned, but will they get cleaned if she is running late? I have seen her run in and not have time to do her horses stalls, put the horses in there, feed them and go....why won't she do that to mine??? So I do it myself.

The only thing that makes me mad is most boarding places say yep I do that, yep thats not a problem, yep that is how it is done around here, and then the first couple months great, then it goes down hill from there.
            If you run a boarding barn and you don't like the hours or pay then get out of the boarding business, don't complain about it and do thing half a$$.
            I could go somewhere else, but there isn't anything decent until you go about 1 hour away, and that doesn't work for me. I have 3 horses that are worked 6 days a week, I don't have an extra 2 hours for travel.

I just wish people would do there job, that isn't much to ask.
            Last edited by ArabX3; Apr. 25, 2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

SUBK - I am flexible if you are 1/2 hour to an hour late feeding fine, but 2 1/2 hours is a little much. I am not flexible about no water, never will be. I am flexible about when stalls are cleaned, morning or afternoon, whatever, but they need to be cleaned daily.
              My horses complete at many shows, they are fed on the same schedule as they would be at home, only difference is they have hay in front of them at all times at the shows so graining them is around the say time as they would get it if they were at home.

Comment

Originally posted by ArabX3 View Post
                She doesn't work off the farm. Her farm is also paid in full, her father bought it for her, she pays taxes with the money she gets from leasing all her other acres out to the other farmers in the area. We know what she makes per horse.
                I couldn't even read your whole post. (Paragraphs would help but this time it was as much content.) How she acquired her farm and what you think she does during the day and how much money she makes per horse has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything. It's just you being mean or jealous or a busybody.

If the care does not meet your specification then leave.

Comment

• Original Poster

DREWSBADBOY - (However, if I am an hour or two late to clean the stalls (trust me they will definitely be cleaned that day) because I have something to take care of (example- an injured horse, running my dog to the vet clinic, putting a newly delivered load of sawdust away before it rains- things like that)

Yep that I can understand those reasons, but because you went to dinner with your sister, your boyfriend called or because you wanted to shop at the mall a little longer........nope I don't understand that and never will.

Comment

Originally posted by subk View Post
                    I couldn't even read your whole post. (Paragraphs would help but this time it was as much content.) How she acquired her farm and what you think she does during the day and how much money she makes per horse has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything. It's just you being mean or jealous or a busybody.

If the care does not meet your specification then leave.
                    Agreed completely. How she has her farm or what money she has coming in are absolutely none of your business.
                    www.springwillowsfarm.com

Comment

Time for you to move.

Comment

It seems to me that the issue is more with the competence of the substitute help. Has the OP discussed these concerns with the BO? Since the OP wants to stay at this barn, it would be advisable to get a handle on the anger and see if some reasonable expectations can be reached with the BO.
                        Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                        http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Wow. Lots of anger, OP. Maybe they need 2 water buckets? That would help alleviate the water issue if they are indoors. If stalls are dirty when you get there and you do them, that is all you.

I think quality care is important, however, unless you are paying high-end fees, some of your complaints are a bit much.
                          Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Sounds like you need to move or get your own place/do self care. Some of your complaints are reasonable but some of your demands are a bit over the top, especially for a small single-person operation. Your wants and needs do not fit in with the barns mode of operation. It is too bad that this was not openly addressed in the beginning.

At my farm horses always have water and generally always have hay (some are fat hoovers that gobble up their hay instantly, so they don't *always* have hay). I clean stalls daily, feed all supplements, etc. But my feeding times DO vary. If that is not okay with people upfront, I tell them they should not move in. They won't be happy and I don't want the headaches.
                            2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Comment

• Original Poster

I am not angry - I just wish people would do their job. I know what she makes etc. because she tells me and my boyfriend and give us all sorts of information, we really don't need to know.

We did have 2 water buckets over the winter but the autowaters are now on and one horse needs a bucket still because he dips his hay, I told her just to shut off the autowater so he doesn't dip his hay and plug up her waterer and cause a flood - that has happen 2 times now, she still thinks he should have it on, so fine it is her barn.

I talked to her about the help, each time she says ok not a problem I will fix it, and nothing is fixed, so I offer to do my own horses when she is out of town, just let me know.

My boyfriend use to be a trainer and helps her daughter with her horse, at no charge, he fixed her tractor that froze up over the winter because she didn't winterize it, at no charge, helped her put up tongue and grove boards on her wall, at no charge, we both have taken care of her place when she went out of town twice, at no charge. I don't mind helping out, I don't expect to be paid, but I do pay big $$, (cash) to her in board and I expect our agreement to be held up on both of our ends. (yes I get receipts). I am paying for a service, I should get it. Clean stalls, water, grain, and turnout. I do my own blankets so she doesn't have to, I handle my own vet and farrier. I sweep her whole barn before I leave each night, and shut the light off over her show gelding (she has him under lights for his coat) because she hasn't gotten a timer yet, and I make sure the horses without the autowaters have full buckets, because she says she comes up for a night check and she doesn't ever do it. (per the trainer on the other side of the barn) So I do it at 8:30 -9 when I leave.

I am not a b$*ch, I am not jealous, I am not asking for much, what if I had an emergency and spent my board money for it, and couldn't pay her what then?? Hmm I know the answer to that. I pay my board before any other bill, always have for the 15 years I have owned horses, never late, always on time. My end is to pay, her end is to provide a service.

And she and I agreed on the care before my horses came into the barn.

Comment

I totally understand what the OP is going through.

By the time someone like OP complains here, things have really kept happening till you want to scream. And it's not micormanaging horse care. It's being promised that things will be done, and they aren't done. So a late Easter feeding, standing alone, isn't bad. But on top of dirty stalls, incompetent workers, etc., it's one more thing.

The problem is that BOs will promise you everything, and then not do it. I'd much rather have a BO tell me "no way am I gonna do that" than tell me sure, fine, and then not do it once I move there. I pay for all extras, I did a lot of work at barns FREE, feeding every night for 2 years at one barn, cleaning my own horses' stalls, buying hay and feed when BOs "forgot" to pick some up and I still didn't get the services I paid for.

One barn I boarded had did things the "right" way,, i.e., the way all the books and articles and experts say to run a barn. (She has retired.) The rest around my area just want our $ and resent it when we get mad and move.

So I totally understand where OP is coming from. Being late for Easter feeding is not a deal breaker. But it can be the final straw.

Comment

I don't know how you can title your post a "rant" and then say you're not angry. You're clearly angry about the care provided by the BO/BM. While I don't necessarily agree with the things that you consider shortfalls, that doesn't matter. If you're going to board somwhere, it should be a place with which you are satisfied. You've voiced your concerns, they haven't been satisfied, so move...but not to my barn, we'd never meet your standards.

Comment

• Original Poster

JASMINE - I don't need control of everything, I just ask for water, and a clean stall and grain. No they will never be somewhere with free choice hay, my older guy lives on air. He would explode. I also supple my own grain for him because he only gets a little oats with his supplement.

These are my horses, and in the end my responsibility so I can handle all the rest of their care, but feeding and clean stall, I am paying for something aren't I.

Comment

"The only thing that makes me mad is most boarding places say yep I do that, yep thats not a problem, yep that is how it is done around here, and then the first couple months great, then it goes down hill from there.
                                      If you run a boarding barn and you don't like the hours or pay then get out of the boarding business, don't complain about it and do thing half a$$."

THis goes both ways! I have a pasture boarder who claimed to feed her horses every day so I did not charge her labor, guess whose feeding 2 times a day? I was also assured that the pasture/run in would be cleaned by the boarder. I will just say as a barn owner if I EVER left the run in the way it looks right now, I'd have some boarder hoping on a message board complaining about the run in! This same person wants her horses (one very old timer) on plain oats, but wants me to add 3 supplements 1 a coat conditioner, twice a day at no charge. Good Lord I could swear Nutrena makes fortified feed which provides all the essential nutrients a horse needs.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hinderella - probably not your barn, but I bet you would have told me that when we first met and I was looking to board at your place correct???

Not angry - just needed to vent......maybe I used the wrong word.

The facility is nice, stalls are nice, arena, etc........ so I will continue to board and pay big $$$ for not much, and in addition I will continue to go out every night, even when my horses have the night off, and I will continue to go out 2 times on the weekend (I usually ride in the morning, but to check things at night) so I know they have water, and have been fed and stalls cleaned, and if not, do it myself. I will continue to pay on time, and help out when I can but DAM IT I don't have to like it. So much for ME getting 1 night off from the barn a week, I guess I will continue to care for my guys and pay someone so I can care for my own horses........sounds stupid to me, but I guess I am in the minority.

Comment

Working...
                                        X