• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My entire chicken flock wiped out(neighbors again) update and it could be bad.post 99

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My entire chicken flock wiped out(neighbors again) update and it could be bad.post 99

My beautiful, friendly best ever dozen hens were slaughtered by the neighbors dogs, although I cannot prove it.

Some may remember the issues with the neighbors and noise and paint ball guns with the horses last fall.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked him to keep his 4 dogs at home, since they seem to be up at my house often, like in 3-4 times a day. These are not friendly dogs. Now that the snow is gone, its about 300' from my barn to their house.
    He told me to put up a better fence! My fence keeps my horses in, my lone dog does not wander. This is not a state where I am responsible for keeping animals out, plus we have a leash law.

Ok, last week...come home after being gone a few hours, around dusk, and his dogs come down the drive from my barn, barking at me, keeping me in my car. No owner call for them. My drive is visible to them.

3 days later(Sunday night), I had to go to a fund raiser, left around 6 and home at 7:30 to find a line of dead chickens from their property to my barnyard. It was a sport kill, and around here, it is too early for the foxes to have their kits hunting yet(we don't have that issue till late may). It was not in my experience a wild animal killing.
    I am livid.
    All this week, their dogs have been in and none of us have seen them. Last night, one of the kids yelled to another kid going into the house, "Don't let the dogs out, they were bad".

I have called ACO, but there isn't anything they can do without proof. They agreed it was not likely a fox, coyote(only chicken predators we have around here) would take out a dozen chickens and leave them. You could see the bite marks on them.
    This was a wonderful flock I got last year, and were handled by the two boys who work for me, so they were super friendly, laid their eggs in their boxes, and each night I collected about 10 eggs. I am heart broken, and I have had chickens for 40 years, and lost many to a fox. But this was a waste, plus to allow your dogs to cause that kind of havoc makes me wonder how sicko the parents are. Plus, they were really nice chickens, and I am fond of their eggs, but never attached to my hens, but this group was very special.

The cops are sympathetic, but tell me I need to document..which I think is a waste of energy but they suggested a camera since it records, and then I present them with the information...less negative expenditure of energy.

Now, I am looking into cameras, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
    I need cameras that will record, as well as not needing to be hooked up to electricity.

My property surrounds their 1/2 acre, and I have a 5 acre field there. At this time, I am bringing horses into their stalls when no one is on farm. One side of the property I can see what is going on, but the far side, I cannot see what is happening in my field..which makes me nervous. Some may remember, last year the kids built a tree fort in my lower field and were scaring the horses when they were up in it. Yes, as I write this, I think, this is a sicko family.

I am nervous about him shooting or harming my horses. He already drove past one of my help last week who was out walking my pony, and her herdmate was whinnying for her. It is obnoxious, I agree, and it only lasts for 1-2 minutes. The horse is my coming 3 year old and whinnies if anyone is taken away. I want him to learn that his herdmates leave and get over it.
    The neighbor drove by my help, screamed at her and turned around and went back home. I guess whinnying bothers him, but his dogs can bark for hours at a time and that is ok.

Soooo, this is not a good situation at all.
    Unfortunately, I have learned, unless you can prove it, not much the law can do. Plus, even if you do...not so sure what good that will do. How many of us have seen abusers get a slap.

Ack, looking for some commiseration, vent and ideas on cameras that dvr and run on batteries.

This is really a very bad situation, and I am quite afraid, I or mine may be the ones to be harmed, well, already my hens are now gone, so they have demonstrated to me their ability to do harm.
    Last edited by fivehorses; Apr. 24, 2011, 02:52 PM.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

*** SSS ***

ETA - we have installed security cameras. it is actually very easy to do and not that expensive. I wish you luck. I also do NOT like bad neighbors

Comment

game camera
      Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

I sympathize with your loss. Forty Layers! Knowing how expensive it is to fence properly, there is little you can do except surveillance and trapping. I would probably buy/rent a live coyote trap from somewhere and start trapping the dogs and sending them off to the local pound every time I caught one. Surely the dogs have obvious points of entry to your property? Put the traps there, baited well with 3 day old steaks or something, and chained and locked to your fence posts.
        "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Why not confine your chickens where nothing may harm them, fox or neighbor's dogs?

Comment

SSS

the dogs will go away after that...

I feel for you and I do have to agree, that that was dogs killing your chickens.

Game camera, and while it is not you obligation to fence them out, for my peace of mind, I'd put the nastiest thorn shrubs around their little piece of heaven, no dog would ever cross it.

(don't they make skunk stink you can apply to the dogs...I am sure somebody can come up with a way to apply it long distance!)
            Originally posted by BigMama1
            Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

THIS !!!!!!

Originally posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
              *** SSS ***

ETA - we have installed security cameras. it is actually very easy to do and not that expensive. I wish you luck. I also do NOT like bad neighbors

THIS !

HUGS and GOOD LUCK ~~~

A TERRIBLE PLACE TO BE IN ~
              Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

I agree with you...retaliation from them is always a possibility.

Game cameras will do the trick for providing proof, but would that make them change their ways?

Perhaps the better fence might be the best idea...what about a low string of electric if you can't re-fence with "no-climb".
                "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Comment

That is a tough situation you are in.
                  Normally I'd say that at this point you should shoot the dogs. Find out if you have the right to do so WHILE THEY ARE ON YOUR PROPERTY endangering your livestock. I'll bet that you do. But I can see why you would hesitate to do so.
                  I feel really bad for you, and not to add more to your already full plate, but I would worry about a dogpack like that going after the horses too (nevermind children). Of course after the first human attack law enforcement will do something. I just pray that it doesn't come to that for you guys.
                  "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

Comment

Oh yeah, BTW, you can get fake cameras that look just like the real thing, even have a flashing red light on them from a AA battery. Posting those and some signs saying "You are being recorded" might make the neighbor be more careful and cost you less than the real thing.
                    Of course they wont help you prove your case.
                    "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

Comment

Game cameras, look for those. Motion activated, so not running down batteries too fast.

Also, do look into getting a large live trap. Trap the dogs. There's your proof that they're on your property at least. And document each and ever trapping...make sure your digital camera's date stamp is correct and log every single time a dog is caught by photographing with date stamp and then keeping a written log. Call each trapping in, reporting trespassing dog. Then bring dog to pound or call animal control for them to come get the dog. They might return to the neighbor immediately, but at least there's third party legal proof of the dog's trespass and capture.
                      You jump in the saddle,
                      Hold onto the bridle!
                      Jump in the line!
                      ...Belefonte

Comment

were I live, EVERYBODY knows that their dog WILL come up missing (permenantly) one day, if the owners behaved like that. unwritten law. People around here are very serious about it, and they have no mercy. Its a huge "dairy" area. funny we just dont have a "dog" problem around here.... now ferel cats! another story, grrr!

Comment

I would grab the dogs when they came on my property and take them to the pound. They will get a fine and I am sure if they get hit in the wallet that they will be a little better at keeping them home.
                          RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
                          May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
                          RIP San Lena Peppy
                          May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Diamondindykin View Post
                            I would grab the dogs when they came on my property and take them to the pound. They will get a fine and I am sure if they get hit in the wallet that they will be a little better at keeping them home.
                            This. IF you don't want to SSS. When you find their dogs on your property get a line on them. Put them in the truck and dump them at the pound.

Comment

I would invest in a motion camera for game animals. They can record video or take stills depending on how much you want to spend. Good luck...
                              http://jconnors1982.blogspot.com

Comment

Check the actual law in your area (and no, local cops are not always a good source for this info). Here, property owners may shoot dogs damaging livestock of any kind (and chickens are included)...period. If you don't want to shoot a dog but can prove (as in call the sheriff out BEFORE removing dead birds) that there was a loss of stock or injury to stock (you can take to a vet) the dog owner has 3 days to pay the full amount of the damage. If he fails to do so there are continuing deadlines and each one not met doubles the previous value of the stock/damage claim. Had a neighbor whose GSD was kept outside (daughter was allergic) and came through stock fence, jumped/climbed over 6 foot chicken wire (on 2 x 4 framing) fence around chicken coop/pen and killed about half my flock. I didn't know the rules at that time but found them out quickly. A week later he did the same (and blessings....it had snowed so there were prints from his house!) but this time I caught him, hen in mouth, as he tried to climb back out and got a foot hung up in the chicken wire. Put him on a chain, called sheriff and they came out, photos taken of dog, prints and all the dead chickens (polaroids). Deputy and I went to the neighbors and got the wife to answer the door. Got the "what do you want us to do? He has to stay outside because of Sweeties allergies and it is just too much work to keep him on a chain, it tears up our yard and besides, Sweetie LOOOVES him". WTF? Sheriff asks me for value per bird....I'd had some layers and some young roosters headed to freezer so gave him a price on each.....came to $150. Deputy told her that it had to be paid in 72 hours or would double. 3 days...no payment. I called deputy and he said "let it ride...they'll find out". Well, they did.... they submitted it to their insurance company for payment and it took almost a month. The bill by that point was $2400. You never heard such screaming and hollering. Most expensive chickens I ever owned.
                                Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                                www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                                Northern NV

Comment

I like the idea if there is a skunk or stinky spray you can spray on them from a distance. A few times of that and going back in the house, they wont be let out anymore.
                                  I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Comment

COOL!

Originally posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
                                    Check the actual law in your area (and no, local cops are not always a good source for this info). Here, property owners may shoot dogs damaging livestock of any kind (and chickens are included)...period. If you don't want to shoot a dog but can prove (as in call the sheriff out BEFORE removing dead birds) that there was a loss of stock or injury to stock (you can take to a vet) the dog owner has 3 days to pay the full amount of the damage. If he fails to do so there are continuing deadlines and each one not met doubles the previous value of the stock/damage claim. Had a neighbor whose GSD was kept outside (daughter was allergic) and came through stock fence, jumped/climbed over 6 foot chicken wire (on 2 x 4 framing) fence around chicken coop/pen and killed about half my flock. I didn't know the rules at that time but found them out quickly. A week later he did the same (and blessings....it had snowed so there were prints from his house!) but this time I caught him, hen in mouth, as he tried to climb back out and got a foot hung up in the chicken wire. Put him on a chain, called sheriff and they came out, photos taken of dog, prints and all the dead chickens (polaroids). Deputy and I went to the neighbors and got the wife to answer the door. Got the "what do you want us to do? He has to stay outside because of Sweeties allergies and it is just too much work to keep him on a chain, it tears up our yard and besides, Sweetie LOOOVES him". WTF? Sheriff asks me for value per bird....I'd had some layers and some young roosters headed to freezer so gave him a price on each.....came to $150. Deputy told her that it had to be paid in 72 hours or would double. 3 days...no payment. I called deputy and he said "let it ride...they'll find out". Well, they did.... they submitted it to their insurance company for payment and it took almost a month. The bill by that point was $2400. You never heard such screaming and hollering. Most expensive chickens I ever owned.

Comment

SSS. This is truly a case where it's appropriate.

Comment

I'm very sorry about your hens. Poor chooks. :-( I would be heartbroken also. I have to echo Bluey's comment a bit. You really should consider confinement. I have found the electric poultry netting to stop ALL land based predators but still allows them to free range a good bit. I managed to stop hawk attacks by a scare owl and hanging cds to blow and flash in the wind/light.

Ask Animal control to borrow a humane trap. When you catch a dog on your farm, call them and they will come, document it and take it away. That is the best legal way to get your neighbors to be responsible. When they start having AC visits and fines, that might get their attention.

I hate people who let dogs just run loose. I had a similar situation last fall when what I believe were dogs dug under a wall into a chicken coop and killed a bunch of my little broilers. I had a conversation with my neighbor (who owns the dogs) as well as AC and we've not had another problem. I kept a loaded 22 rifle in my kitchen and I was prepared to shoot. We had a trap set up but all we caught was a possum and a barn cat. I'm pretty sure it was my neighbor's loose dogs.

I told her point blank that I would shoot to kill if I saw them again over here and she believed me. She's finally kept them confined. They were a major nuisance getting into people's trash and out on the road so much that I'm surprised no one else shot them. Here in the south, that is what you can expect to happen to your dog if it becomes a nuisance.

Comment

Working...
                                        X