• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Wash Stall - Help/Ideas needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wash Stall - Help/Ideas needed

    Ok, so here's the deal. When the barn I was renting was built, the contractor that did the wash stall didn't do it with any slope for the water to drain. There is a drain hole, but everytime it's used water goes into the neighboring tack room.

    I am trying to find a way for it to be useable. Here is what I am thinking:

    *jack hammering all the concrete out, have dirt floors with gravel and mats. That way it just drains into the ground.

    *adding an additional layer of concrete over the existing concrete at a minimal grade to allow water to drain in the middle

    Has anyone ever had this problem? Any other ideas would be great

  • #2
    When I built my barn, the contractor put the slope "away" from the drain hole, which is at one end of the wall... Can't understand what they were thinking... Anyway, I got them back to put another layer over the existing concrete so it slopes properly. I think this will be your least expensive option. To bust out the existing concrete and rebuild it might be too expensive.

    Comment


    • #3
      Could you rent one of those concrete grinder things and just add some slope to the drain?

      Comment


      • #4
        Mine doesn't slope at all. I put stall mats in, cut a hole for the drain (and kept the cutout...I plug it if I'm using the washstall for grooming or the farrier) and it seems to be draining fine. Except right now because the ground is so saturated, there is no where for the water to go. I have an outside wash stall too.

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          Originally posted by Gloria View Post
          When I built my barn, the contractor put the slope "away" from the drain hole, which is at one end of the wall... Can't understand what they were thinking... Anyway, I got them back to put another layer over the existing concrete so it slopes properly. I think this will be your least expensive option. To bust out the existing concrete and rebuild it might be too expensive.
          This is what I am thinking. I do AP at a concrete lock company, so I deat with concrete contractors all day I was talking with one guy today that said he wouldn't put any LESS than 4 inches new over existing at a 1-1.5 inch slope. Anything less and it would crack.

          Do you know how much your guy laid down?

          Comment

          • Original Poster

            #6
            Originally posted by pds View Post
            Could you rent one of those concrete grinder things and just add some slope to the drain?
            Thats a good idea...I am just not technical enough to even attempt to get the slope right....

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
              Mine doesn't slope at all. I put stall mats in, cut a hole for the drain (and kept the cutout...I plug it if I'm using the washstall for grooming or the farrier) and it seems to be draining fine. Except right now because the ground is so saturated, there is no where for the water to go. I have an outside wash stall too.
              Do have a gravel floor? Or is it concrete?

              If it's gravel, you shouldn't need a slope because all the water soaks into the ground. Mine is cement, so it just site there...or in my case--leaks into the adjoining tack room

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah ummm me telling you my wash stall works, doesn't really help you, does it?

                I would guess the concrete guys have it right, but dang that's a lot of concrete to add in. Could you perhaps pour just enough to create a sloped 'berm' as it were, along that tack room wall? so the water can't run 'uphill' and under the wall.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sar2008 View Post
                  This is what I am thinking. I do AP at a concrete lock company, so I deat with concrete contractors all day I was talking with one guy today that said he wouldn't put any LESS than 4 inches new over existing at a 1-1.5 inch slope. Anything less and it would crack.

                  Do you know how much your guy laid down?
                  4 inches over existing? Mine is like 1 inch over existing concrete at the tallest part... I have not noticed any problem. I think they had to do something to bind the new layer to the existing conrete though.

                  I think there might be a confusion here. You want at least 4 inches of concrete or it will crack, but that does not mean 4 inches over existing concrete...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by katarine View Post
                    Yeah ummm me telling you my wash stall works, doesn't really help you, does it?

                    I would guess the concrete guys have it right, but dang that's a lot of concrete to add in. Could you perhaps pour just enough to create a sloped 'berm' as it were, along that tack room wall? so the water can't run 'uphill' and under the wall.
                    I like that idea of a berm, but concrete doesn't adhere to old concrete easily, you will have to caulk along the edge.
                    Why not try caulking from the concrete to the wall of the tackroom, if that is the only place you have a problem leaking and maybe have some concrete company cut a few lines in the concrete from the hole to 2/3rds up, shallower as they go up, so the water may follow them into the drain?
                    That should not cost much and you can keep them sweeped clean easily.

                    I would see if the ones that poured that will make it good on their penny, that should not be your problem, unless you don't want to see them again, afraid they may mess things more.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Gloria View Post
                      4 inches over existing? Mine is like 1 inch over existing concrete at the tallest part... I have not noticed any problem. I think they had to do something to bind the new layer to the existing conrete though.

                      I think there might be a confusion here. You want at least 4 inches of concrete or it will crack, but that does not mean 4 inches over existing concrete...
                      All concrete will crack sooner or later, but I think 1" concrete over concrete and the weight of a horse will mean concrete that will crack quickly, too thin for that use.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                        All concrete will crack sooner or later, but I think 1" concrete over concrete and the weight of a horse will mean concrete that will crack quickly, too thin for that use.
                        That is why they did something to bind the old to the new one so the new layer isn't just "float" on top of the existing concrete. Can't remember the details but I vaguely remember they scraped off (buffed off?) a thin layer from the existing one, vacumed it clean, poured some kind of binding agent, and then pour the new layer of concrete. As far as I can tell, the new one is now part of the old one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gloria View Post
                          That is why they did something to bind the old to the new one so the new layer isn't just "float" on top of the existing concrete. Can't remember the details but I vaguely remember they scraped off (buffed off?) a thin layer from the existing one, vacumed it clean, poured some kind of binding agent, and then pour the new layer of concrete. As far as I can tell, the new one is now part of the old one.
                          That explains it, sounds like some good technique they are used to.
                          I was also wondering how they could put any reinforcing wire on just 1" thick.
                          There are some fiberglass they can add today to concrete to minimize cracking, we have some like that, but still needs to be treated like regular concrete.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X