• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Finding decent farm help...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding decent farm help...

Strike two so far...paying $8/hour cash and want someone to come in daily and clean up manure in common areas. It takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.25 hours depending on the time of year. We provide an ATV and cart to do the job with. First person was taking 2+ hours because of all the cell phone breaks and the fact she insisted on coming after dark most days. Needless to say, we had to fire her. However, based on that experience we decided to go to a per-cart rate for next person.

Right now it takes a little less than an hour to fill the cart. We decided to pay the new person $10/cart to make it worth her while and to allow some leeway. At first, all was great. Then, carts started coming in 3/4 full and manure left in areas. When we tried to address it, person said it was supposed to be $10/hour and that was all she could do in an hour. When I referred back to the written parameters of the job that she had been given at the beginning, she had mysteriously "lost" her copy and looked at the new copy I had available like it was from another planet. She hasn't shown up since.

Suggestions? Neither the per/hour nor the per/job approach has worked thus far...is it just the type of work or our approach? I'd like to be able to add on some other responsibilities eventually, but if you can't show up regularly and follow simple directions regarding manure removal, how can I trust you with feedings???

Seriously..theres not enough money to be made to cover the cost of gas..if it takes 45 minutes to 1.23 hour..just do it your self.
    I pay way more to get 11 stalls cleaned.

Comment

You are offering a low wage, very part time job that involves manual labor....what kind of people will be attracted to that? Either make the job have enough hours to be viable -- who needs $10 - 20 a day when gas is approaching $4 a gallon or pay better wages. Honestly, you can make more babysitting and it's easier work.

If this is all you can pay, then I think Otherwise, you'll be spending all your time trying to manage a string of unsuitable workers who won't last.
      Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
      http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

I am a "Jill of All Trades" I do all sorts of jobs to earn money to supplement my income. No way would I be able to afford to work for you, it's just not worth my time to travel to your place for $10 - $15 a day. If you really want someone to come muck out your stalls, and it only takes about an hour, pay them $25.00 a day and be done with it. I would come and do that for $25.00 a day if it really only took about an hour. If you can find someone, then don't stand over them and watch their every move. So what if they are on the cell phone? People call me all the time to book a job, I am charging you a flat rate, and honestly, I will give you your money's worth.

Comment

Pay versus gas cost...no wonder you can't get or keep good people. I wouldn't even apply.

Comment

There is NO WAY I am paying someone $25 to muck four stalls...um, minimum wage isn't even $8/hour and taxes get deducted out of THAT. Let me put it to you this way...most substitute teachers that I know in my area get paid $100/day for 7 hours...that is less than $15/hour. And then it gets taxed. And those people have at least a B.A., if not a Masters degree. And no one pays for THEIR gas. You are all correct - it is unskilled, manual labor. So, $8-$10 hour cash is like $14 on the books. As far as me paying you to talk on your cell phone... No wonder there are so many illegal immigrants running around this country "taking all the jobs".

I'd like to give someone more hours, if you read my original post, last line. I guess I need to rephrase my question: Hourly rate versus a per-job rate? Most farm owners I've talked to say the per-job rate is the better approach but that didn't work out any better for us...

Comment

I too have the same problem-with needing about an hour a day to muck out pastures. Fortunately I have a wonderful woman that does this. I really do NOT want to do it, have done it for 5 years, and I clean the ten stalls in AM, so I hire it out. When she isn't able to work, I have a teenager come after school. I mean, $10.00 for 1 hour of work 5-6 days a week, that's not bad!

Comment

I think what people are trying to say is that the job is too small for anyone to be interested in. Therefore, you will have to overpay to get and keep a person. I've been in that position before also and that is what I had to do.
                Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by alter4areason View Post
                  There is NO WAY I am paying someone $25 to muck four stalls...um, minimum wage isn't even $8/hour and taxes get deducted out of THAT. Let me put it to you this way...most substitute teachers that I know in my area get paid $100/day for 7 hours...that is less than $15/hour. And then it gets taxed. And those people have at least a B.A., if not a Masters degree. And no one pays for THEIR gas. You are all correct - it is unskilled, manual labor. So, $8-$10 hour cash is like $14 on the books.
                  Substitute teachers are paid a day rate, so that is worth their while to show up. I am talking about the 1 hour a day rate.

As far as me paying you to talk on your cell phone...
                  If you are paying a rate as opposed to an hourly wage, what do you care?

No wonder there are so many illegal immigrants running around this country "taking all the jobs".
                  Really?

I'd like to give someone more hours, if you read my original post, last line. I guess I need to rephrase my question: Hourly rate versus a per-job rate? Most farm owners I've talked to say the per-job rate is the better approach but that didn't work out any better for us...
                  Per job would probably work out better for you.

Exactly Bird4416! No way am I driving to your farm for an hours work and getting paid $10.00. It barely covers my gas and wear and tear on my truck.

If you have other jobs/more hours, then that's a whole different ballgame, but you won't get anyone that's reliable or good based on .75-1.25 an hour @$8-10 only.

Comment

There is NO WAY I am paying someone $25 to muck four stalls...um, minimum wage isn't even $8/hour and taxes get deducted out of THAT. Let me put it to you this way...most substitute teachers that I know in my area get paid $100/day for 7 hours...that is less than $15/hour. And then it gets taxed. And those people have at least a B.A., if not a Masters degree. And no one pays for THEIR gas. You are all correct - it is unskilled, manual labor. So, $8-$10 hour cash is like $14 on the books. As far as me paying you to talk on your cell phone... No wonder there are so many illegal immigrants running around this country "taking all the jobs".

Yes, but OP the substitute teacher spent much less of the per diem rate just getting to the job.

Maybe you do need to make this job bigger, not smaller, from the beginning in order to have it make sense for someone to take.

But please (please!) don't imply that the working poor are stupid, lazy or unethical. What they are is constrained in a way that really isn't quite like the middle-class farm owner. In this case, the poor SOB spending, say, as much time to get to the job as he is doing it has to make a calculation: What will I earn by the time I consider my expenses? And the stakes are high because the pay is so low! They have the same 24 hours to make enough to pay for food, shelter and all as everyone else. They simply can't *afford* to take little jobs like this one.

But the suggestion of having a teen come do this job after school might work. I think you'd need to make it more than a cash gig and maybe create a Working Student-like position. They clean up four or five days a week after school for a lesson on Saturday mornings. The kid can afford to do this low-paying job and also get something more out of it.
                    The armchair saddler
                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I feed/muck/etc. at up to three farms a day. The smallest of them I handle two days a week minimum, two trips a day for a total of maybe 1 1/2 hrs. I get paid $30/day now and I'm about to ask for a raise, because like any business, I need to maintain my profit margin and gas is expensive. Moreover, I have to look at the big picture. If she decided she only needed me one day a week, I'd likely give notice. I could take the time I'd alloted to her, and find someone with more work to offer.
                      The last time I checked folks were paying for degrees, not getting paid for degrees. Wages are not immune to the law of supply and demand. There's a pretty high demand for competent manual labourers. I know this because in addition to owning a construction subcontracting company, I co-manage one of the aforementioned barns and have struggled with hiring help myself. You'll always get your money's worth. You have to decide whether you want the bargain or the work done.
                      Frankly if I were you, I'd bite the bullet and find another hour in the day to do it myself. Unless you are really averse to mucking, I don't think it's worth the hassle or money to fuss with an employee.
                      "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
                      http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

Strike two so far...paying $8/hour cash and want someone to come in daily and clean up manure in common areas. It takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.25 hours depending on the time of year. We provide an ATV and cart to do the job with. First person was taking 2+ hours because of all the cell phone breaks and the fact she insisted on coming after dark most days. Needless to say, we had to fire her. However, based on that experience we decided to go to a per-cart rate for next person.
                        In the first post the OP clearly states that they went from a "per hour" to a "per cart" rate BECAUSE someone was talking on their cell phone. Therefore, they were paying that person by the hour to talk on their cell phone, which isn't right no matter how you spin it. They then changed to the per cart rate, so the person could talk and scoop and it didn't matter how long they took to do it. I know we are all busy people and probably skim posts, but people have been taking shots at OP when they misunderstood her post.

OP, I agree with the poster who said to make the job a bit bigger so you can pay a bit more to make it worth someone's time to come. I also like the idea someone put out about giving a lesson or two on the weekends as an incentive. I would try to find someone VERY LOCAL, so that gas is not such an issue. Call the high school counselors and see if you can advertise a position there. Of course, if you get a teenager, you want to meet the parents and get their permission

If you find a horse crazy teen and let them have an opportunity to learn about horses, that may be your best bet. When I got my first horse, I boarded with a friend of my mother's. She and her family were big into the barrel racing scene and also had Quarter horse race horses. They all also had outside jobs (the wife was a nurse), and since this was Michigan, the horses were in a lot in the winter. My parents used to drop me off Saturday morning early and pick me up at dark. I would also go out any other time I could. After I rode my horse and played with her, I would clean all the stalls for about 12 horses. I LOVED doing it, and did it for free and without being asked. Needless to say, they loved having me as a boarder! I was so horse crazy that cleaning stalls was fun! I learned so much from those people, so I got a lot out of it too.

Comment

I'm with mvp on this one. The job isn't big enough for the low wages to justify the expense of going to it.

Comparing manual labor rates to teaching rates is silly. Teachers are underpaid for the education requirements of their job. They also don't work for one hour a day.

As for cell phone use -- welcome to the modern world! People have cell phone conversations all the time at work. I run a non-profit and every person in my office has a cell phone and makes/takes cell phone calls while on the job. That includes me. The younger people like to text. It's not something to get excited about.

The question about per hour versus per job -- sometimes that works but the job needs to be defined. I don't think a "per cart load" measure is particularly good. There was a disagreement about the cartload size. So just pay $X for cleaning manure in the common areas and be specific at where these areas are located and the amount of cleaning to be done.
                          Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                          http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Unless you have a teenage neighbor (and I wouldn't think of paying less than $10/hour), you're probably going to continue having a problem.

Gas is $4.00 a gallon! How are they supposed to get to your farm, pay for their gas and have anything left over?

My daughter has a job that is 40 (correction, 50) miles away. She figures it takes her 2 1/2 hours just to pay for the gas to get there and back (vehicle choices are a jeep and the farm truck) and she doesn't have the money to pay for a more fuel efficient car. I'd be mucking it myself, or at least have someone come every other day (if the paddocks are large enough that it's not a problem). Up the pay a bit, and problem solved. Or, do it yourself.

Why should some poor hourly worker take a loss or work for free because what you pay barely covers their transportation?

Oh, and by the way, since it sounds like you're paying them under the table, what happens when someone gets hurt and needs workmen's comp?

Comment

Do you have any kids at your barn (clients) in the lower income range - i.e. the ones struggling just to afford a horse or better yet the ones who can afford lessons, but no horse? Find one who's really keen, that will do anything to just be around horses, and who is hanging out at the barn anyway. Then, stress the importance of hygiene (poop picking) to the overall health of the horses and the pastures and how important it is to do a good job of this. Then, be prepared to offer little extras, every once in awhile, in addition to the regular pay. Extras like a free lesson, or a chance to ride a better horse, a day out with the trainer/barn owner at a show or sale. A lesson in the finer points of horse care - eg show braiding. I know when I was an early teen, 12-16, I would have picked poop until the cows came home for that. I hope there are still a few of those kids around (I know there have been a few at the various barn's I've boarded at).

Comment

Originally posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
                                As for cell phone use -- welcome to the modern world! People have cell phone conversations all the time at work. I run a non-profit and every person in my office has a cell phone and makes/takes cell phone calls while on the job. That includes me. The younger people like to text. It's not something to get excited about.
                                Wow, I have a problem with that if the cell phone use is private but on company time. Just as I would have a problem if co workers were conducting private calls on a lan line. Where is the work ethic???

Toirider, thanks for pointing out the erroneous attack on the OP.

OP, a 10 an hour job seems like decent pay, and it is when you are paying for 4 - 8 hours a day, but to expect someone to come to work for you for 1 hour a day and get 10 is somewhat unreasonable, unless they live very close by or was a hs kid with a job to do after school.
                                I pay the boys who help me two days a week, 2 hours a day 40 bucks. Yes, that is good for hs kids, but I also want to beat out the competition by paying them more so they stick around. Hiring new people and the training involved is time consuming.

Sooo, I would expand the job, groom each horse, or scrub water buckets, put hay in stalls, fill horse buckets with water, rake the yard, etc, etc.
                                Have the person work at least a couple of hours, or pay them 20 bucks a visit, with expectations of what is to be done.
                                Ie, entire paddock(s) should have manure picked up. If it takes them a half hour or 3 hours...not your problem, you are paying by the job.
                                Be reasonable with your time it takes to do the job. In my previous life, I use to do job task anaysis, so I am fairly accurate about job flow, average time to complete a task/job.

Also, treat them like gold, and really appreciate them...that helps keep them around.
                                If they do any extra, give them more money, if they need a hat to keep the sun off...buy them one. If they need gloves, etc
                                The days of finding plentiful help to do manual labor is long gone. Most Kids aren't brought up to work manual jobs, and most adults just won't do it.
                                You have to give them an incentive...pay is one, and being kind and appreciative to them is a bonus.
                                Good luck.
                                save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

It sounds like the part-time job would be well-suited to a young, high school teenager, one who cannot get a local minimum wage job in town. It's not easy for teens to get work, as there is too much competition from adults who have been displaced in the work place. So that is where I would tailor this job to if I wanted to successfully fill the position.

If an adult is looking at getting a job, they are looking at all of the parameters to see what they are getting into. If it's only mucking common areas (I thought that meant pastures) and then there are four stalls to be mucked, that's not a lot to keep someone in what is essentially a dead end job on any farm. Young teenagers don't look at things this way, though, and if it is an after school job, someone might just be willing to take you up on it. That would give you the latitude you feel you need to expand the job into feeding based on their mucking performance, or leave the job as it is. If you remain pleasant as a boss, the teen might stay on for a while, or add it onto a second part-time job. Good luck in filling the position.
                                  "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Is this an everyday job? And is it just stalls, or pastures/padocks too? I agree with everyone else, it's just not profitable enough to keep any good help around. If I were you, I would see how I could shuffle things around to get the help to come out every other day or twice a week, and pay them two or three times as much. It's the same amount of money for you, but less time for them, which makes it more profitable.

Also, this isn't a job for an unemployed, looking for work type person. This is a job for a highschooler (or a middleschooler within walking distance), college student who's conveniently close. Are you paying someone to come out to your personal farm, you don't have boarders or lesson students who would be interested in working off some of their money owed?

Comment

Definately the per job rate is better for you. I've been ...done over a few times by the per hour thing. last time by my stepson and he did a royal job of it.
                                      Never again.

With the gas thing the way it is you ARE going to have a hard time getting someone unless you pay a reasonable amount unless they live just right down the road or next door.

Good luck.
                                      You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

I pay my farm sitter...

$25.00 per visit (so usually 50/day for am and pm checks). That is for 3 - 4 horses that in most cases are out on pasture full time. No stalls to clean, just check/fill troughs, sometimes depending on the time of year and if the pasture needs supplementing, throwing some hay or grain. Look at each horse and make sure they are ok.

I am relatively sure it takes her less than an hour -- maybe less than 1/2 hour a day. But she has to arrange her schedule around it, drive here and home or here and to work, and as everyone says has to be worth her time and effort. $8.00 or $ 16.00 an hour wouldn't be.

The high school kid that cuts my inlaws small lawn at their river cottage gets $30.00 a week for what probably amounts to less than 1 hour a day per week. But he is concientious and plenty are willing to pay it for the piece of mind.

Comment

Working...
                                        X