• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

HIT DrainGrid System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIT DrainGrid System

Has anyone used the HIT DrainGrid system? Any reviews, thoughts on the product? Thoughts on pricing and instillation? Is it everything you thought it would be and more or is it kind of over rated?

http://www.footingsolutionsusa.com/p...-draingrid.php
    That's the link to the product, for those who haven't seen it before.

Any feedback and thoughts on it would be very much appreciated. Also, I might have some questions that may need to be taken to PM if some of you have used it. Thanks a bunch!!!
    -CJS

We moved your thread here to Around the Farm, where it might get some more eyeballs on it/not get lost in the shuffle of Off Course.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

Comment

bumping this in case anyone has not seen it.

Not sure if the OP is looking at the hit drain grid for arena footing, or other uses.

I have been curious about using the hit grid in stalls over appropriate draining footing to keep the stalls drier. I've wondered if it is difficult to muck over (does the pitchfork get stuck in grids), and if it is soft/flexible enough to be comfortable with moderate bedding on top (not scarce bedding, and not to-their-knees-deep-bedding).

I imagine it also is great in heavy traffic areas like gates...?
      The Farm: http://1738farmllc.blogspot.com/

Comment

We have HIT/Grid. It is quite durable and works very well. I have it in my stalls and the gate area to the fields. I am very pleased with this product.

There is no problem with it in stalls. They clean just like a regular stall, but horses can't dig holes in the flooring. My stall drain well. And it definitely helps in the gate areas -- no more boot sucking mud.

HIT/Grid has a competitor in Stable Grid. It's the same product. She was a HIT/Grid distributor but figured out how to manufacture and distribute a similar product herself. Check out her prices. Depending on your location, shipping could be cheaper, too. I have both HIT/Grid and Stable Grid. They both work exactly the same.
        Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
        http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

I used a similar product called Groundmaster flooring in stalls previously. Drainage was amazing, of course we actually put in more base than suggested. Forks do not get stuck in the holes - something I had wondered as well - because you top with stone dust and the surface ends up being amazingly flat... forever. no holes!

I use an enzyme based product to help break down the urine to avoid any ammonia smell. I loved the fact that I could strip the stalls and HOSE them down!

When we moved I did not put in this type of flooring in our new barn, but kind of wish I had. However, economically, when our horses are actually out 23/7 it's kind of hard to justify that kind of cost inside.

Comment

To those of you that use this system, please tell me more!

I looked at both the websites posted and didn't seem to find what exactly do they recommend to use with the grids? One website said to NOT use gravel.

What do you have under and what do you put over it?

I would use it for outside paddocks. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'd put on top of it. Shavings would be out of the question at least in the rainy season.

Comment

The product that the OP is asking about seems to be designed specifically for arena and similar use as it not only has the stability of the grid, but incorporates an underground irrigation system. Would be nice for watering the footing and keeping the area level and stable, and assisting drainage. And I'm sure it costs a fortune.

I have used another grid product (Hoof-Grid, similar to Stable-Grid and other similar plastic grids) in my paddocks off the stalls. This isn't the same as what the OP is asking about, as it does not incorporate the drip irrigation lines. Great product, anyway, and I'm so happy I put it in as last month we had rain pretty much every single day and I don't have mud. Mine do have gravel - 5/8" gravel underneath the grids, then a layer of pea gravel within and on top of the grids, all recommended and approved by the Hoof-Grid people.

Comment

I have Stable Grid in all my stalls and outside run-ins. In the stalls we excavated each stall by hand (ugh!) filled with pea rock, laid the grids, then a layer of coarse sand. Stalls are very dry, easy to clean, grids don't shift, and horses can't dig them up. For run-ins we laid the grids directly on the sand base of the run-in: the goal was to stabilize the floor for horses coming and going.

I've had the Stable Grid system for about 4 years, it's holding up very well and I feel it was worth the time and money to install it.

Comment

Originally posted by blue&blond View Post
                  To those of you that use this system, please tell me more!

I looked at both the websites posted and didn't seem to find what exactly do they recommend to use with the grids? One website said to NOT use gravel.

What do you have under and what do you put over it?

I would use it for outside paddocks. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'd put on top of it. Shavings would be out of the question at least in the rainy season.
                  I have plain old regular sand, quite plentiful & cheap in my area, over the grids in my outdoor spaces.

Comment

Mine were for stalls. I would love them in an outdoor area (it's mud season here right now) but I recall the product not being UV resistant, so it would have to be heavily covered. Of course, in the stalls we covered them with shavings.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with this kind of product in paddocks that get a lot of snow/ice? Does it suffer frost heaving?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X