• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Landlord and Ag Exemption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord and Ag Exemption

I lease a small farm for me and my 3 horses. The landlord let me make upgrades. I have a 4 acre field with run in and i fenced 2 more small paddocks. I paid for it all. I have been there 5 months and now my landlord and the owner of the property next to mine have decided to take down part of the fence between my big field and the one next door. That one doesn't have any fences and they own 4 large dogs that scare my horses.
    I put the fence back up 2 times and got home yesterday and it was down again. My landlord said the place was too expensive with out the ag exemption on taxes and the guy from ag said they had to have the fields open to each other to get the exemption.
    My landlord hung up on me when I called to say that I needed the fence up. She knows i don't let my horses wander like the neighbors near me who don't use fences at all.
    What can I do to keep my fence up? Does my landlord have the right to take it down now even if she knows i rented the place as a horse property? No other renters have ever used it as a horse place so they didn't care about the fences.

Check your ag laws for your state. Would a gate serve as "open"? Are you in open range country? So, horses and cattle roam freely? What did your rental agreement spell out? Too little information to help you, really.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Does it have to be completely open, or would a gate do? Could you put up a gate with no-climb attached?

Comment

It varies so from state to state, here in KY you get an automatic exemption at 10 acres but it is far different in other places.
        Can you speak to "the guy from ag" yourself and find out what is going on?
        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
        Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

There was a gate that was overgrown with weeds so I didn't even know it was there but the landlord on that side of me has taken it down twice.
          We are in a very suburban neighborhood. My landlord has put my rental for sale as a gentleman's farm close to the city. HAHA. My contract says that they cannot make me leave until my lease is up.
          I put in the contract that I would be responsible for all fencing additions and repairs. I even put in that no one was allowed to enter the horse fields without me being present.
          There was an opening in the fence on the other side of the pasture before i moved in. I guess it was for the ag exemption too. And I made sure that the contract said that the opening in the fence would be completely closed. Not just a gate.
          I think the ag people know what the landlords are trying to do since they keep coming out to inspect the place.
          I could probably talk to the guy from ag about it but that would make my landlord really angry.
          Right now I've got my pickup truck parked alongside the hole in the fence so my horses can't get out even if they take the fence down again.

The whole thing is ridiculous. The neighbors on both sides have lots of dogs that all run loose and have bitten my dog when I was out riding in my field. They chase my horses too. There is one stallion that has been going after my mare while she's in heat and she's gotten pretty cut up from that too.

I hate this farm.

Comment

He likely has an ag exemption on the property as a whole. They may even have a combined ag exemption across both their properties (I have one like this where we legally have it subdivided into 3 but it has an ag based on the total size). You do not get ag exemptions for recreational horses, you can only get ag exemptions for horses that generate money like breeding. You can have a recreational horse on an ag exempt property if you also have cattle, goats, sheep (or whatever you are using to keep your ag exemption). By clearly delineating the area that you have your horses in and not allowing the animals that are responsible for the ag exemption onto that area, he is effectively removing that acreage from the ag, which potentially could be impacting his overall ag.

The bigger issue is that if he loses the ag on that piece of property it could take him years to get it back. Getting an ag exemption is a very lengthy process. For example, here we have to have livestock on the property for 5 years before they will even give you the ag exemption.

Having said all of that, he should have thought of this before he leased it to you. It is totally reasonable if you are leasing the farm for you to put up fences to keep your horses on and I would have thought it was trespass at minimum for him to be taking them down.

Probably not what you want, but you could very likely break your least and move out with no penalty given how much he is effectively hassling you. Your other option would be to go to a lawyer with your lease and see what he/she says. I don't think you are going to get anywhere with the ag inspector as it sounds like your landlord is breaking the rules anyway and it's not the ag inspector's job to give the guy a break just because he feels sorry for you.

I hope you get some resolution, sounds like a horrid situation.

Comment

I would check the details of the ag exemption. I have never heard it has to be one continuous 10 acre pasture. It is usually 10 contiguous acres total, You can have as many pastures and paddocks as you want as long as the property is deed with at least 10 acres.

I have a 16 acre farm with ag tax exemptions and as long as I don't deed the acreage seperately nobody cares that I have 2 pastures and 5 half acre paddocks. I think your landlord might just be dumb ;-)
              www.abernathyfarm.com

Comment

• Original Poster

My boyfriend did alot of research on local ag exemption rules and there is no way this property should be exempt. The place hasn't been used for horses in over 5 years and for the last 2 years it was used by a guy who installs swimming pools to run his office. I added most of the fencing and fixed up the shed and stalls.
                The only horses using the place even with the gates open are my 3 pasture potatoes and the neighbors old guy that they leash to a stake in the yard so they don't need to fence it. My landlord works in an office and doesn't even own a dog on her property.
                I don't know how the ag guy came out and said it was ok.
                I started looking for another place to lease. My landlord has the house for sale and people keep coming out to look without letting me know. My 2 big dogs are home while I work so I guess they scared the people. I've come home at least 10 times to find my doors unlocked, once the front door was wide open with only the screen door shut.
                I put my rules about all this in the lease adendums. So I'm really pissed off. My lease says anything I put up on the property belongs to my landlord but I'm talking the fences and gates when I leave which will be soon if I find somewhere else.
                I didn't think having my own place would be such a pain between cleaning stalls, fixing fences, my job, trying to find time to ride, buying hay and feed and my crappy landlord.
                I don't think I'm saving any money not boarding them.

Comment

Working...
                X