• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

4 x 12 Garden Bed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 x 12 Garden Bed

I live alone, so don't need a huge garden. In the distant past my vegetable gardening was done with rows just like row crop farming, and I knew how to plant those. The idea of a bed is completely new, and I have no idea how to proceed.

I've just marked off the bed and am in the process of putting down plastic edging. I've already spaded by hand one foot at one end, and the physical labor is exhausting. But I'm planning to spade in manure from the horses to add to the tilth. Got an old dog crate that is 4 x 3, I think, which will be erected at one end of the bed.

So what can one plant in a bed this size? I'm thinking 3 tomatoes, 3 bell peppers, 2 eggplant, and marigolds for insect control will take up 8x4, but what should I do with the other 4 feet?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Cucumbers, beans, lettuce all come to mind as they don't require a ton of space like squash does or overtake the garden, like raspberries do.

Sunflowers are nice as a back row and the birds love them!

Comment

all kinds of herbs. Chives, parsley basil....

You don't have to go in blocks though. you can under plant, edge the bed in marigolds, put garlic in, also good for pest control. sunflowers, something for the eye...

A bit of spinach, or lettuce. though they get to be meh when it gets warm (I just got a bunch of different kinds and mixed it together, my own 'mesclune'.

What else... drawing a blank here...
      I'd say peas, but it's to late for the english kind now. A couple of strawberry plants for snacking (remember, they are perennial!)
      Originally posted by BigMama1
      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Personally I love peas and green beans. I would put in a trellis and grow those. You can also do zucchini and cukes on a trellis to save space.

Comment

oh on Zucs...since you are alone, I think 1!!! mount is plenty....or all your neighbors will hide from you till fall!
          Originally posted by BigMama1
          Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by Heliodoro View Post
            Sunflowers are nice as a back row and the birds love them!
            Horses love them too!!

Comment

My beds are 4x12 on the outside, making them 3x11 on the inside. I can get essentially three rows across.

They say tomato, eggplant or pepper plant needs about 1 square foot. In my typical "Italian food" bed, I get 7 tomatoes down the center, 8 peppers down one side, and 4 eggplants down the other. I put a marigold on each end, with a basil plant on each corner. I put three nasturtium in the center of each long side. You could also put your 3 peppers and 2 eggplants down one side, and use the other side for a row of beans or carrots or lettuce.
              ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Try the Gardeners.com planner. http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandwa...ult/Page-KGPJS

You can enter your bed size, then drag and drop what you want into the grid and it will show you how many go in each square foot. Then you can print it out.
                ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

You would LOVE to get a book on Square Foot gardening

Comment

Check out Square Foot Gardening and rotational gardening...cool season first (radishes, spinach, lettuce, peas etc) while warm season plants are sprouting in pots and then plant the warm season stuff and harvest and then repeat cool season in the fall. Also in beds you can plant a lot closer together than in rows, use edges for herbs etc. Use poles, wire panels etc to grow vining stuff on so you dont use up square footage...ie...you can grow things like cukes or cantelope up a trellis rather than have them sprawl. Use determinant type tomatoes so they don't grow all over the place (or bush type) or cage them.
                    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                    Northern NV

Comment

Or prune them. Tomatoes don't have to be unruly monsters. If you aren't an heirloom fanatic, and just want one good tomato plant for sandwiches and stuff, a single Celebrity plant would probably keep you in maters all summer. I stopped planting that variety because I just couldn't eat them fast enough.

Rotating crops just requires a little study and some trial and error. You can plant peas and lettuce in the early spring and have them out of there in time for bush beans or summer squash to have a full season.

Cukes don't really want to climb, but with some training, you can keep them on a trellis. For some reason, mine always seem to grow to the east, so I always put them on that side of the bed and police them daily to keep them on the up and up.

Comment

• Original Poster

Should mention that the bed is oriented North/South. That means shade from tall plants or trellis in either the morning or afternoon depending on which side they go in. I would consider putting in a few okra plants of the classic variety, but they grow very tall. Should I have oriented the long side east/west?

Tomatoes will be caged. I only plant Marglobes and Rutgers, the old fashioned hybrids. Might get a Beefsteak for the 3rd plant.

Definitely green beans and or limas on a trellis, but wondering again about shade. Haven't planted crawling ones, but always went with bush beans We used to plant lady peas or crowders, but they crawl everywhere. I guess there's a reason they are called field peas.

It's too late here to plant cool season veggies--that means lettuce, radish, carrots, green peas, etc. are out. It's almost too late for summer squash and zucchini. One of each should be more than enough. I've heard that planting tomatoes on the outside of a compost bin is a good thing, so I could spade around the dog crate and plant there.

I'm so used to having so much gardening space for everything that trying to imagine how to grow sprawlers in a small space is mindboggling.
                        Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 7, 2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

have heard on several gardening shows (Victory Garden for one) that '3 sisters' works great -- corn, beans, squash grown together -- the beans use the corn as a trellis and the squash grows around the bottom -- and each provides aid to each other
                          Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the Gardener's Supply Website. It's really helpful.

Comment

You can grow sprawlers on the edge if you don't mind stepping over them.

My beds run pretty true north to south with a little extra sun on the west side, so with the tomatoes down the middle, each side gets a little shade. I've found bell peppers actually prefer a little filtered sunlight on the east side. Bush beans though, did better on the west side for afternoon sun than they did on the east side. If you plant your tomatoes across the north end instead of down the middle, you won't have to worry about it at all.

Comment

Hard to have success with corn in a small plot.

My bed is about 8x8 and I normally do one tomato, 3-4 bell peppers, one whole row of broccoli, one cuke, one zucchini, some leeks, and the rest is for experiments. Not all of which work out, like the asparagus that the dog used for a nest and the "mini" pumpkins that sprawled everywhere!

One corner is for basil and parsley, and the mutant potted strawberry plant that will NOT DIE. I may do some bush beans this year--not wild about things that climb.

My garden sits on the east side of my barn and really likes the afternoon shade. Our summer days are LOOONG and it's just too much sun for a lot of veggies.
                                Click here before you buy.

Comment

ahh deltawave -- you are much wiser than I (my thumb is fairly brown -- I have to plant only indestructable varieties)

http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html
                                  says at least 10x10 for success

I currently have some tomatoes, fennel, herbs in pots and have not yet killed them -- but give me a little more time
                                  Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

I tried 2 of the 3 Sisters last year - pumpkins planted at the base of sweet corn.

Something ate the corn before it had a chance to grow more than a foot tall.
                                    But the pumpkins were HU-MONGOUS!
                                    I planted both on my compost-based "barn garden" - really just a pile of stall cleanings right outside a fenceline.
                                    This year potatoes are going there along with another try at sweet corn.

OP:
                                    I have a small Just Me garden - maybe 16' square with four 8' square beds at each corner & paths across the middle.
                                    I get plenty of produce from these beds & really only plant 3 of them as the 4th has a rhubarb plant that takes up the space.
                                    3 or 4 tomato plants give me enough for eating & surplus to freeze, a couple zucchini plants more than keep me, friends & coworkers in zukes.

I've experimented with eggplant (fail), bell peppers (fail), onions (major fail) & potatos (Success!) along with basil & butternut squash (Major Success!!).

This year I wintersowed seeds for carrots, beets, corn & cucumbers.
                                    All sprouted and as soon as we have our last frost (near Mothers Day) the seedlings will go into the ground.

Don't worry about planting more than you can use. You can always freeze the surplus - I don't even bother to blanch or cut up things - just wash & fill freezer bags.
                                    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

1 cucumber and 1 pepper will feed a person easily, but the cucumbers I have had have needed more space than the squash! How to I grow them on a trellis? I love fresh green/yellow beans, so they are a must for me. Cantaloupe?

Comment

• Original Poster

If I were to make a bed of nothing but barnyard muck, which is mostly composted manure + a bit of soil + straw and hay that the horses have scattered around, can I grow a couple of watermelons?

From my choice of veggies, you certainly can tell what region I hail from. Some of them didn't even make the Gardener's Supply website, although I'm not sure that limas aren't included in generic "beans". They don't even have field peas mentioned on their website.

Has anyone here tried Jerusalem artichokes. Native, tall sunflowery looking plants that have tubers. Down here, once started, they are very, very perennial.

Comment

Working...
                                        X