• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ford F250 2wd or 4 wd drive? or something similar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford F250 2wd or 4 wd drive? or something similar

My husband and I are looking at Ford 250's between 1999 to about 2004. What is best....

diesel over gas?

4WD over 2WD?

Any certain year over another?

Any other trucks to consider?

This will be a secondary vehicle for a 2 horse bumper pull/stock combo for local to 2 hr excursions in East TN.

Anything in particular to watch out for with these?

All info is appreciated.

Happy riding,
    Jessie & The Stinky Pony

Those that have Diesel seem to swear by them.

4WD, 4WD, 4WD, am I being clear?
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Comment

I have a 1999 F350 diesel. Everyone swears by these years, and the 7.3 diesel, and without a lot to compare to (this is my 2nd truck, previously had a 1997 F250 gas) it's hard for me to say. My truck has had a lot of very $$ problems (mostly of the computer module/sensor variety) but I'm told that the later models are worse.

FWIW I have 2WD and regret it occasionally. My truck cost half, yes truly half, of similar models/mileages because it is 2WD and manual transmission, and that I don't regret, but there are like ~5 days a year when 2WD really limits me.

Comment

Trucks

We have an 05 GMC diesel 3/4 ton. It will pull a trailer (fully loaded) and the fender and the 300 lb gate it hooked right off. Plenty of torque. It also gets about 17-18 mpg with the diesel. We borrowed a friend's 3/4 ton gas truck once to get our trailer and watched the fuel gauge visibly drop as we went down the road. Also have a 97 1/2 ton GMC gas truck which pulled the same trailer(Trailet NY Eventor..a largish, heavy bumper pull) until we got the Duramax. It did not get rave reviews from the rear cab passengers(pretty cramped). Many eventors like the Fords for trailering..we found the ride quite stiff. We have liked the new Nissan Titan trucks for cab room, power etc. Unless you are absolutely going to assert that you will never go on grass, you will not need 4WD. Of course you need 4WD! I found we need it more so with the diesel as it's high torque will spin the rear wheels sooner than the gas GMC.

Comment

Personally prefer diesel and would insist on 4WD! I am sure others can tell you which are better years for Ford's as some are more problematic then others!
          www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

I have a 1999 4X4 F250. I love it. Except for the gas consumption. I am looking for a small beater for around town.

Oh, the truck. Bought it used is 2006 or so. Only major repairs since then have been replacing the brake lines (if you get in the truck and your pedal sinks to the floor--get out and call a flatbed) and we replaced one coil (something in the engine). I really like it.

Comment

I traded my 4WD in -- never used it. Have 2WD now. Love it, never regret it for a second -- less weight, less maintenance and totally not necessary where I live. Most folks just need to learn how to drive.
              Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
              We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
                I traded my 4WD in -- never used it. Have 2WD now. Love it, never regret it for a second -- less weight, less maintenance and totally not necessary where I live. Most folks just need to learn how to drive.
                Wow, I use the 4 X 4 constantly. In winter, it is essential. In mud, I would never get out. Farm work, all the time.

Comment

Most folks just need to learn how to drive.
                  We have been severely limited by 2 wheel drive, where we can park with the trailer at shows or foxhunting, lots of places we go to ride don't have large amounts of parking where we'd be able to get out. Same thing hauling hay - we have to live by the weather forecast or pay someone with 4x4 to haul our hay in.

The winter of 2009/2010, we were barn bound for three months in the snow and ice by not having 4x4.

That said, we have a 1990 F350 7.3 liter diesel dually. Bought it used in 2000 and the only problems we've had other than having the transmission rebuilt at a little over 200,000 miles have been things that my husband has been able to fix with not a huge amount of trouble.

Given my choice, I'd take a F250 4x4 and extended cab. I don't haul heavy enough weight to really need the dual rear wheels. Since we'll be buying used, we are looking for another 7.3 engine. Our current one is almost at 300,000 and going strong.
                  "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Comment

I'd go with 4WD if its within your budget. You can't always count on good parking surfaces at events. It's amazing how fast fields or unpaved tractor paths can turn into quagmires if it rains the morning you send 30 trailers over them. One of my friends tows with 2WD and is notorious locally for getting stuck. It's at the point where people who know her always make sure someone hangs around until she's safely onto a paved surface. On a good day she just needs to lighten the load by taking the horse off the trailer until she gets to a solid surface. (Helpful to have a friend who will walk behind the trailer leading the horse in this situation.) On a bad day she'll need to hook chains to another vehicle to extricate her rig.

Comment

Have a 1999 F250 Diesel Super Duty. LOVE it. 4x4
                      www.Somermistfarm.com
                      Quality Hunter Ponies

Comment

4WD

7.3 diesel

(my 2000 F250 has both )
                        No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
                        For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion - Unknown
                        Pleasure Portrait 1989-2016...sleep well my girl

Comment

2004 F250 diesel, extended cab, bought new. We haul an extra tall, xtra wide, 3 horse gooseneck. Had problems with the turbo in the first year, twice, but Ford repalced both and haven't had any problems since. My truck has a 3/4 rear end. Because of this and since I live in SoCal, and haven't traveled far afield, I don't need 4WD.
                          I plan to buy an F350, double cab, 4WD when I move out of state in a few years.
                          "And I will be an embarrassment to all
                          Who have not found the peace in being free
                          to have a horse as a best friend."

Comment

I always recommend 4WD. Whether you use it every day or not, you never know when you'll need it. If you're going for the '99-'04 range, stick to the '99-'02 7.3L diesels. The 6.0L started in '03, and '03-'04 were the worst years for it (that being said, the 6.0L is not the most reliable diesel engine out there). I always recommend a diesel as well, for the most part. They handle better to the wear and tear of towing and are built to last longer.

You'll never kill a 7.3L. I had a '94 with 650k on it before I let her go. Solid truck for many, many years and never once gave me an issue. Regret selling her
                            Originally posted by barka.lounger
                            bar.ka here
                            h/j riders are used to bending over, every.time they pay their.show bills at the office. event.ers not so mu.ch.

Comment

Originally posted by IFG View Post
                              Wow, I use the 4 X 4 constantly. In winter, it is essential. In mud, I would never get out. Farm work, all the time.
                              That's where I said I didn't need it where I live. I live in NC. You live in MA -- different road conditions, different demands. I did not know where OP lives, but thought I would chime in to say that not everyone feels that you will die a slow horrible death waiting in a bog if you don't have 4X4. I did have it for ten years, got tired of maintaining something I don't use. If you know you have a need for it, well, that you probably already know and you wouldn't ask random internet people about it.
                              Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                              We Are Flying Solo

Comment

diesel kicks ass for towing, 4wd can be optional, depending on where you live.

Having towed (family wise) for years and years with 2wd cars, along the famous lines of my dad: if we need 4wd we stay away.

also, with 2wd you can get away with a pair of new tires...4wd always requires a whole set.
                                Originally posted by BigMama1
                                Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

My F250 is a 1999 diesel - the 7.3L that everyone raves about. For hauling, you can't beat the diesel for power, but it's also true that they cost more, both upfront and to service.

I live in the northeast and frequently haul to shows where we park in grass fields. Without 4WD, I'd frequently not be able to get in/out of those spots, even if it's just due to showing up in the early morning when there is dew on the grass. After heavy rains or in any kind of snow, it's an absolute necessity. (And I have found that it's been needed just to move the trailer around at home in those conditions - for example when the BO wants to plow in wintertime.)

I did a lot of research and drove a lot of trucks before choosing mine, and have been super happy with it. It's a very popular model - mine is the extended cab, long bed version and I tend to be approached by all sorts of people who ask me to let them know first if I ever want to sell it. I figure that is a pretty strong endorsement too.

The one caveat I will pass along with respect to the 7.3's is that they are known to experience cps failures. CPS stands for cam position sensor, and is a cheap part... if you have one in your glove box, you can replace it yourself if necessary without much time or trouble. Or you can simply have the original replaced at the time you purchase the truck so you don't have to worry about it - assuming it has not already been replaced.

Happy shopping!
                                  We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                  -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Haven't read the other responses but....
                                    4wd. When you need it, you need it.
                                    I like diesels anymore but for no scientific reason.
                                    If you have the mts I think you do in east TN (I used to live in Blacksburg, VA) be sure you have enough power to get up the "hills".

Comment

We went through the 2WD vs 4WD argument for the last two trucks we bought. Both times we went with the 2WD. Both times, in less than 1 year, we wished we had the 4WD.

I'm always the one saying, let's just get it for crying out loud. DH is the one looking to save money and also the one later saying; "if only we had 4wd". I am insisting the next time which should be in a couple of years.

Comment

This is crude, but 4x4 is like a gun or a condom. You don't always need it, but when you do and you don't have one...you regret it! I stole that off Predator v Alien, when the character said a gun is like a condom. Ironically, I mentally added 4x4 the first time I heard it.

I had a 7.3. LOVED it. Hated the transmission, it was on its third one and I'm pretty sure it was thinking about shredding that one when I traded it at 223,000 miles. The only reason I traded was because the tie rod ends needed replacing, a cylinder needed replacing and the fear I had over the tranny, and a monthly truck payment was more feasible for me at the time than the $3k in repairs. Plus I had a little manual-everything Ranger that needed some servicing and four new tires, so I traded both for my current truck.

It's an 8.1L gas Chevy. I love it, but damn it gets horrible mileage. Usually 8.9 mpg . Still, it's awesome, can tow a house, and has all the creature comforts (aka seat warmers, oh yeah!).

I do miss that truck.
                                        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Working...
                                        X