• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

HELP me brainstorm- no money coming in.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP me brainstorm- no money coming in.

I have two boarders leaving because they bought their own farm and I only have one other after that. I have no one inquiring about lessons or boarding. Been advertising EVERYWHERE. I don't understand, some one brain storm with me and help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    I charge $125 self, $180 partial care, $325 full care and work with people in between those.
    I am always friendly, I have a very nice barn, lots of trails, and turnout.

Where on earth are you?

Comment

Look at other barns in your area that are more full. How do you compare in amenities and pricing? Is there something you are lacking in comparison that can be easily added to bring in more business? Have you had a business problem that might be affected your reputation in the area, fairly or unfairly? Are you visible at shows/organizations/ community events, besides the advertising?

Comment

If you put your location on here that might give people a better idea of what to recommend in the way of places or publications to use for advertising. Is there a college near you? A big riding club? A big breed organization? Have you posted something at the local vets? Feed stores? In 4-H or other organization newsletters? Are you near a racetrack or other large operation that might need layup or retirement boarding? Or is there demand for retirement boarding? Are you near a Military post where someone who's deploying might near a year or two of boarding with a trustworthy person?
        You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

• Original Poster

I am in Franklin Ohio. We have posted flyers everywhere, including gas stations. I put business cards anywhere I can.
          We just opened and the old owners ran the farm into the ground, but word is getting out slowly that they are out and we have done major clean up. The boarders I have had all love it here, and anyone who has come to look says it looks great, but then I never heard from them again. I'm wondering if maybe changing the name would help any?

Comment

Have you thought of putting out a press release for area news media, or perhaps writing a human interest story or offering to do an animal advice column? If the old place developed a bad reputation, changing the name is definitely a good idea. Your press release could say "Barn XYZ, formerly owned by xxxx, is now under new ownership/management and has a new name. Barn ATB (absolutely the best) is accepting new customers for boarding, training and lessons. Please stop by to visit...etc with location.
            Jeanie
            RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

If the previous owners gave the farm a bad name, Id absolutely change the name. If you dont change it, you need to say 'new owners/management' on the flyers or ads.

There was a barn in my area that had a terrible reputation. New owners came in and the barn is still under the same name. Barn still has a terrible reputation. I dont know if things have changed or not. I still hear people having a converstaion like this:

"So and So barn has nice arena"
              "I heard that blank happened to a horse there"
              "its under new management now"
              "really? I didnt know"

dont forget that craigslist can be your friend.

Comment

I'd advertise in free places, like craigslist. And do a Facebook page -- I have actually had someone call me based on mine, although they were not a good fit. But at least you can point someone to it so they can see pictures.

Are you hooked in to the horse community? Tell everyone you know, especially vets, farriers and trainers. I've gotten referrals from two trainers. The other way is really word of mouth -- I sent an email once to everyone horsey I knew describing my place briefly and asking them to pass the word. They did, and that's how my most recent boarder came.
                https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

Have you thought of having events that would bring people in to the farm to visit- see your facilities, see how your run things, take care of the horses?
                  - schooling shows
                  - clinics
                  - 4-H or Pony Club meets
                  - Barn Open House with wine and cheese, BBQ
                  "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
                  "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
                  Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Comment

Make a dramatic change to the public entry to your farm, even if it is paint the fence and plant flowers. Nice crisp new signage should be there to make it easy to find you. Right now, focus on the things that can be seen, unless other priorities involve safety. Post a "To Do" list prominenty in the barn so that prospective boarders can seen where you are going - and keep moving on the list.

Good Luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

I was getting lots of hits from craigslist under the farm and garden sales, and then when they cracked down about having to put services in the farm and garden services section, my calls dropped down to none
                      I will be having a tack sale/exchange in May. Schooling shows are out of the question because there is no large areas for multiple horse trailers. Been thinking about clinics, but the footing in my outdoor needs redone first.
                      Any other good ideas that could get people out there?

Comment

Either change the name or put 'under new management' on everything. I would change the name and put your name on everything as owner. And I second the signage/farm entrance idea. I hate trying to find somewhere and they only have a tiny sign or unmarked drive. And on flyers do a little map or good directions.
                        You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Contact your county parks & rec dept and see if you can become a vendor. We run a small program that brings in students some of whom continue on with our regular lesson program.

Contact the Girl Scouts. They have a horsemanship merit badge and will certify vendors for their camp list.

I also agree that changing the name is important. If the place had a bad reputation before, even advertising that it is under new management probably won't be enough.
                          Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                          http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Change the name. Advertise under new management. Maybe get your boarders now to write a testimonial for you. Start working on your arena. Its takes time to build a good reputation and about a day to ruin it! Get out to the shows with students or volunteer in the local HSA. Horse people take their time when it comes to changing stables. How is your fencing? Pastures? Good fencing is a must.

Comment

What kind of horses/riders do you have or watn to see? Show season is starting so you might think about hitting some of the local shows around here (I'm just west of Dayton) and putting up fliers. If you're looking at trail riders, take out an ad in the next Horseman's Council newsletter or something of that type... same with 4-H or pony club.
                              "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

Don't forget to mention to your vet, farrier, hay guy, and any other equine service provider, that you are looking for boarders.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
                                  My dream would be to make it a dressage barn. But for right now being realistic, I'm going to be mainly targeting trail riders.
                                  I also need to build up my reputation as a trainer before targeting show people.

Comment

Also you could call local realtors, when they help people from out of state they could offer your nname if asked about boarding.

Contact your local Welcome Wagon people, offer them a coupon for a free or discounted lesson, for the baskets.

Talk to your local tack stores about putting together a little horse goodie basket to raffle, include free/discounted lesson coupon.

Hold a monthly tack swap at your barn, open to the general population.

Have a monthly open house.

Offer guided trail rides for newbies.

Have the name, phone number, and website of your barn printed on your vehicles.

Good luck

LBR
                                    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Comment

Do you have lesson horses? I found my lesson horses were the gateway to getting boarders, otherwise you are looking at having to get clients mostly by luring them from other facilities. A training program if you train horses can also help get boarders; people send the horse to get trained, then stay on for a bit to keep up the work.

When we first openned, I did have some boarders lined up, and had some lesson horses, so I ran some clinics where you could use your own horse or bring your own. The clinics went well and were good advertising. I didn't get boarders out of the clinics directly, but I did get some training horses, and then some referals which turned into boarders.

Other than that, you need to look at what barns in the area lack; for my area our draw was that our facility was heated and that it was relatively quiet with a limited number of boarders, so I played up those factors when advertising.

Find out what other barns don't have that you do, and then play that up.
                                      Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                                        Do you have lesson horses? I found my lesson horses were the gateway to getting boarders, otherwise you are looking at having to get clients mostly by luring them from other facilities. A training program if you train horses can also help get boarders; people send the horse to get trained, then stay on for a bit to keep up the work.

For the type of barn you describe I think CHT has hit the nail on the head. Lesson horses mean lesson kids, lesson kids get hooked, parents eventually succumb and buy a horse, then keep it in your barn. That's by far easier than luring people in from other facilities especially if they are pretty happy. It doesn't matter if your place is nice if the place they are already at is OK; oftentimes look at the threads here, it is fear of the unknown that scares boarders from changing. The devil you know keeps people at barns where things are acceptable but maybe not ideal, because barns that look good at first could be a disaster once you get there. Boarding changes are a big deal to most horse owners.

Comment

Working...
                                        X