• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

what to do about the barbed wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do about the barbed wire

So we are looking at property and MO seems like acres upon acres upon acres of barbed wire.

One of the places we like has approx 100 acres of BRAND new fenced and cross fenced barbed wire. Nice in the sense that we have metal posts, crappy in that who wants to take down all that fence and replace.

Those of you that purchased old cow property, what did you do? I was wondering if we offered the barbed wire free to anyone who came and took it down? Then I have visions of someone injuring themself, and the potential liability.

Thoughts?
    Celtic Pride Farm
    www.celticpridefarm.com
    Become a fan on Facebook!

Originally posted by okggo View Post
    So we are looking at property and MO seems like acres upon acres upon acres of barbed wire.

One of the places we like has approx 100 acres of BRAND new fenced and cross fenced barbed wire. Nice in the sense that we have metal posts, crappy in that who wants to take down all that fence and replace.

Those of you that purchased old cow property, what did you do? I was wondering if we offered the barbed wire free to anyone who came and took it down? Then I have visions of someone injuring themself, and the potential liability.

Thoughts?
    We have miles of five wire barbed wire fences here, for cattle and horses and rarely have had an injury.
    Then, we manage for it, don't just have little pens fenced with it, add hot wire over the top in the small traps and protect the corners with panels.

Barbwire really is not that aggressive as to jump at someone and attack out of the blue, when you are not looking.

100' of barwire?
    You can just buy 10 10' panels and wire them to that fence to protect your horses at less cost than removing that little stretch, or remove it, should not take you an hour and then put whatever you like there.

Comment

IMO, big pastures with barbed are a non-issue.

My 2 mares are on 20ac fenced/cross-fenced in barbed with no problems.

The only time I have had a problem with barbed was when my silly younger mare had to back up to the gelding pasture to tease the boys and cut her hind leg.

Other than that, no problems.
      No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
      For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion - Unknown
      Pleasure Portrait 1989-2016...sleep well my girl

Comment

We added hot wire in front of the barbed wire rather than take it all down. Someday we might redo the fence but for now adding the hotwire was cheapest and easiest. We have a small pasture so the barbed wire is a concern. Like others, I don't think it would be much of an issue in a large pasture with plenty of grass.

Comment

• Original Poster

"Barbwire really is not that aggressive as to jump at someone and attack out of the blue, when you are not looking."

As someone who has cut myself on the stuff before...you do have to be really careful handling it if you don't have the right tools. It rips skin fairly easily.

"You can just buy 10 10' panels and wire them to that fence to protect your horses at less cost than removing that little stretch, or remove it, should not take you an hour and then put whatever you like there." - This is 100 acres of barbed wire, not 100 feet.

I wondered that too - with so much land is it as big a risk.
          Celtic Pride Farm
          www.celticpridefarm.com
          Become a fan on Facebook!

Comment

Barb wire is just miserable to work with. Heavy leather gloves are a must. On our farm, also pretty large, we capped all the steel posts and ran a strip of Horse Guard Electric Tape on top of any barb wire. It has worked fine. Only our perimeter fence still has some barb, we did take down any barb cross fences. Just too much risk, IMO. You might be able to give it away.

I know many people with huge pastures fenced in barb that have never had an injury. But I also know of more than one horse crippled by it. Of course people with thousands of acres to fence really have no choice.
            Patty
            www.rivervalefarm.com
            Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

40 acres fenced and cross fenced with it....keeps the mustangs and the range cattle out (real problems here). Put hot wire/tape on 8 inch extended insulators on the inside is one good way to deal with it. My horses are all extremely well fence-trained and don't go near the fences. It is hard to control as it is taken down but I have done some older fences and then used the wire to make western themed Christmas wreathes for ranch gates (sell for nice prices but I always end up looking like I was in a fight with a whole pride of lions even with good leather work gloves!)
              Colored Cowhorse Ranch
              www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
              Northern NV

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post

Barbwire really is not that aggressive as to jump at someone and attack out of the blue, when you are not looking.
                But it does if you are working with it, darn sttuff.

I'm shocked to read so many people who are not horrified by the existence of barbed wire, I'm usually the lone voice being shouted at and down.

We have 1500 acres, and the horses have to share the grazing land with the cows, all the big fields are 4 or 5 strand barb wire, the smaller paddocks that still have barb have a hot wire inside them, the smallest of them are hot wired.

I have no alternative, the big fields will always be wired just out of practicality, but we are gradually working on getting some safe small turnout areas set up around the yard.
                I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Comment

I would never tell others to use barbwire, sure they would have an accident with it.

BUT, I have seen more accidents with all other kinds of fences than I have ever with barbwire.
                  Those I saw with barbwire were at the vet, being treated and I don't know why they got hurt, if the fences were badly managed, not that they were barbed wire.
                  One big no-no with barbed wire is to have horses across of each other, because if one paws at the other, it may get into the fence.
                  It seems that horses just don't seem to have the kind of common sense to know that.
                  Several neighbors at times use pastures next to ours and they always call first, to be sure we don't have any horses across the fence there.

I was just reminded that maybe at times barbwire does grab for you.
                  I was crawling thru the fence after opening the gate to let the horses out a few days ago and my lower pant leg hung up, cutting my pants and my leg right over the ankle and below the knee, cutting my leather glove and also my hand.
                  The lower leg cut probably could have used stitches, but it is healing fine with bandaids.
                  I am on nine years of ten with my last tetanus shot, so I assume good to go there too.

So, yes, there are times barbwire will attack, but I was asking for it right then.

Our old vet used to say that horses were hurt less with barbed wire because they respect it and it hurts, when other wire, barbless, cable, hot wire, baling wire, can cut them and they won't notice it right off, before it does much damage.

ANY wire or fences, really are places where a horse can get hurt if it tangles with it, or hits it hard enough.

Wire of any kind should be the last of our choices for smaller areas, but for larger ones, if you can't spent what it takes for other so much more expensive kinds of fencing, maybe barb wire is a sensible option, if managed properly.

Comment

One Vet says one thing....our Vet says she's seen more accidents with horses and barbed wire than she ever wanted to see. If I ever had barbed wire on my property, it'd be replaced. A "lovely" experience with a horse getting spooked by another and running through a "small section of barbed wire, covered up by trees and growth" and a $$$$ Vet bill has me anti-barbed wire.

I've heard people say, "well my horse is smart enough to know better" or "my horse respects fences," but even the most respectful horse that is spooked beyond belief has accidents.
                    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
                    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
                    Originally posted by talkofthetown
                    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Comment

I can't imagine taking it down - especially that much. I'm sure the wire with the barbs on it is just stiff enough to whip around and slash my face if I were to ever try.

Is there any way, with the metal posts, to run a rail across the top of the wire - either wood or some kind of tubular thing for better visibility? and the also run a wire offset of 6-8 inches with a hot wire inside?
                      Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
                      Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

Originally posted by HydroPHILE View Post
                        One Vet says one thing....our Vet says she's seen more accidents with horses and barbed wire than she ever wanted to see. If I ever had barbed wire on my property, it'd be replaced. A "lovely" experience with a horse getting spooked by another and running through a "small section of barbed wire, covered up by trees and growth" and a $$$$ Vet bill has me anti-barbed wire.

I've heard people say, "well my horse is smart enough to know better" or "my horse respects fences," but even the most respectful horse that is spooked beyond belief has accidents.
                        I think that comes down to management.
                        Any badly built and kept fence can cause injuries or loose horses.

If your fences in GA are like the ones we had in AL many years ago, I can see why horses get hurt on them, they were very sorry, a few strands of all kinds of material here and there, loose wire, some smooth, some barbed, an accident waiting to happen.
                        One place had all barbwire, two or three strands and loopy, little 30' by 40' pens on steel posts, no corners, the wire hanging and horses across from each other.

Still, in the time I was there, no horse was injured in that.

Here in the West, most barbed wire fences are five wire, tight and secure and not hiding in brush or beween trees.
                        In 40 years here, we only had two light cuts and in the 100+ years raising all kinds of horses here, I think you can count on one hand any injuries and those would have happened no matter which fence you had, like a mountain lion running some yearlings thru a fence once.

Sure, if you don't have to use it around horses, if you have other ways to fence your horses, of course there are better fences.

If that fence is already there and in good repair and not in a hidden spot, where something may run into it and no horses across that fence to play and get into it, why not work with what you have?

Now, if you really only have 100', I will say, wire is very hard to keep tight in that short a distance.
                        You either have to stretch it until it almost breaks, or it will just not stay tight very long.
                        100' is such a short distance, it is hardly worth worrying about it.
                        Take it down and put something you won't have by any chance need to regret later, if something gets into it.

One of the worst injuries I saw was a horse flipping over a nice board fence and degloving from his knee to into his shoulder.
                        He fell into a snow drift, or he may just have broken his neck also.

Comment

Originally posted by mayfair View Post
                          We added hot wire in front of the barbed wire rather than take it all down. Someday we might redo the fence but for now adding the hotwire was cheapest and easiest. We have a small pasture so the barbed wire is a concern. Like others, I don't think it would be much of an issue in a large pasture with plenty of grass.
                          This is your most practical solution. When I was in college I boarded at a farm that came with barb wire when the owners got it. They had big pastures but ran hot wire inside anyway and did not have problems.

Even in a big pasture, I would not just have barbed wire. I know someone who lost her horse to barbed wire and have seen another horse cut all over by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
                            I can't imagine taking it down - especially that much. I'm sure the wire with the barbs on it is just stiff enough to whip around and slash my face if I were to ever try.

Is there any way, with the metal posts, to run a rail across the top of the wire - either wood or some kind of tubular thing for better visibility? and the also run a wire offset of 6-8 inches with a hot wire inside?
                            This is where the use of the Horse Guard tape is so "handy". You buy t post caps. The caps have a bracket that holds the tape. It is an inch and a half wide so very visible. The whole process is quick, cheap and easy and will turn an "accident waiting to happen" fence into a safe fence.
                            Patty
                            www.rivervalefarm.com
                            Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Since you don't own the property yet, you *could* make it a condition of sale that all the barbed wire is removed. Just a thought.

(You could ask that the posts remain).
                              https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                              Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                              www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

Originally posted by SMF11 View Post
                                Since you don't own the property yet, you *could* make it a condition of sale that all the barbed wire is removed. Just a thought.

(You could ask that the posts remain).
                                I think this is a really good idea. If you really don't want it (and I wouldn't want it either), ask in the offer that the sellers to take it down before closing.

Comment

While I'd never install barbed wire, I can (and do) live with what was already here when I bought the place. I've replaced a lot of it, and small pastures are barbed wire free (that's where the young stupid horses are)but it remains along 3 sides of the big pasture, where the old mares spend their time. Injuries are rare and minor- horses usually don't mess with fence in large areas. I really don't have a problem with the stuff in certain situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                    100' of barwire?
                                    You can just buy 10 10' panels and wire them to that fence to protect your horses at less ...d then put whatever you like there.
                                    LOL - not 100 feet - she said 100 acres!

But I certainly would consider if the areas are big that the wire would not be a problem, and that adding a hot wire just inside it would be appropriat, along with panels on the corners, or where they might come to the fence on a regular basis. But my evaluation would be subjective to the particular place.
                                    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherRound View Post
                                      LOL - not 100 feet - she said 100 acres!

But I certainly would consider if the areas are big that the wire would not be a problem, and that adding a hot wire just inside it would be appropriat, along with panels on the corners, or where they might come to the fence on a regular basis. But my evaluation would be subjective to the particular place.
                                      Thank you for making that clear, at 100' it didn't make much sense not to just change that bit of fence anyway.

At 100 acres, if that is a good, tight fence, without sharp corners, or half hidden in bushes and trees, the easiest for now seems to be to add hot wire to it somehow and keep a clear, larger path mowed and short around it, so horses learn it is there.

Comment

My farm is a tenth of the size of the one in question, but was perimeter fenced with barbed wire when we bought it. I took all the barbed wire down by hand before we moved the horses here. I rolled it up, tied the rolls (small ones, lots) off and took them to the dump. Today if I had to do it over I'd advertise them for free on cl, but I'd still take it down myself. That way I know it's all gone.
                                        My neighbor up in Live Oak had a 40 acre pasture fenced with BW. His horses lived there for many, many years with no problem. They were older appys and well used to it.
                                        Then about six months before I moved his sweet old mare (28, I think) somehow got a leg caught in the fence. Imagine someone cutting a hind leg off, most of the way, above the hock, with a chain saw.
                                        I will never forget the sight of that poor, sweet mare, still alive. Nor will I ever forget the sound of the two shotgun blasts it took to take her pain away.
                                        It's a personal thing, I guess. But my subconscious will not let me put horses out in barbed wire.
                                        "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

Comment

Working...
                                        X