• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How much mud is too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much mud is too much?

The mud at my farm has gotten to an all time high. It's absolutely disgusting in my opinion. Ankle deep (or slightly higher), wet, sloppy, boot sucking mud. The horses aren't very happy about being out in it, and I'm getting tired of hosing off feet every night. I've turned one of my pastures into a "sort of" sacrifice lot, but I'd like to have some hope of getting grass to grow there later on this year, so I'm limiting their turnout in there to a few hours a day. The rest of the time my boys are in a paddock (80x140ish) with free choice hay. Turnout time right now is from 8 am to 7 pm, and the horses are always happy when they go in. They don't like the mud at all. I'm just wondering if everyone else is dealing with this crap too. This is my first spring as a real farm owner, and I'm mainly just worrying I'm doing something wrong.
    My plan this summer is to put footing into the paddock to act as a dry lot so I won't have to worry about this mess next year, but for now I'm dealing with mud.
    So am I doing something wrong?
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

still frozen

Up here on the North Coast we are still frozen. We had 2 feet over the average snowfall this winter. Your plan for mud avoidance sounds good. Beyond that, what can we do........once everything thaws I will be dealing with the same thing. You're not doing anything wrong. It's just one of those things.....

Comment

if you're only worried about ankle-deep mud in the paddock you don't have enough mud- can I send you some? my car is coated with mud (inside and out), my boot got sucked off in the mud, resulting in a hilarious (to others) little event, and I have returned from outings with mud in my hair, among many other locations.

Comment

Years ago I remember having a conversation about mud, which in CA meant thick clay pottery type stuff that would NOT dry up once created or would dry into the craters of the moon. The thing was to keep the horses out until the ground had a chance to dry, before they made mud at all. We didn't even think of putting in a base and good draining footing back then, which is really the way to go and it seems to be on your to-do list as well. So you are just traveling along the learning curve with the rest of us.
        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
        Incredible Invisible

Comment

Its not you, its spring.

Add to it the pounds of manure that get squished into it and downright impossible to remove, and you've got a sesspool (sp).

We joke that the horses smell like 'pond'.

Every spring, I feel like a horrible horse owner when they are roaming around through the mud.

My problem is that I can't turn them out on the newly delicate, growing spring grass, so they are secluded to the dry (mud) lot until the constant rain goes away and the pastures dry up and grow a little more. So they've been on dry lot all winter, to save the grass.

Then, summer comes, all the gross winter coat is gone, all the mud is gone, and the horses are pretty again!

Comment

What y'all need is a gravel sacrifice lot - that's the way we do it here in the PNW...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/notsour...ry/5275917214/

Comment

What size gravel do you use and what is underneath it? After the super wet march we had here, I am looking for improvements I can do to make next year better. I think at this point my 3 arabs are voting to go back to the SoCal desert.

Comment

We used 5/8 minus gravel (though I might have preferred 3/8 minus if it was easier to find). We had a good solid hard-pan base underneath so all the hubby did was dig out the loose dirt/grass and then lay in 6" of gravel. Then we compacted it with a plate compactor and the horses and rain did the rest.

If you've got soft ground you'll likely want to put down landscape fabric and then perhaps a base layer of bigger rocks and then the top finish layer.

Horses with good feet (like the chestnut) are okay on ours barefoot as the gravel still has give to it. That silly paint in the photo has seriously crappy feet (thin walls / soles) and he was okay bare in the front but needed hind shoes all winter. I'm hoping with proper preparation he can go barefoot on it next winter.

Comment

Ha, come to Ireland! The happiest I've been over here was this past winter when for 6 weeks we were frozen. We have a lot of rain coming this week so I have to bring the outside ones back in. Grrrr. They hate it and so do I. In past years I've had woodchip pens but not now. This meant I had to have stables for everyone. It just sucks. I have 2 groups. Each of their fields has a roped off sacrifice section. Once the rain goes I will be fertilising, seeding, spraying, harrowing and rolling. Once those are good, I repeat for the sacrifice sections and then open it up again. It's just what you do. Every year I think I will never get the ground back, but I always do. It's funny how one second your waiting for grass to grow and the next you need the topper.

Don't despair, it will work out.

Terri
                  COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Comment

I am no fan of mud, and don't believe its part of the annual rite of spring.

It started when I was in my 20's and the farm I kept my horse had mud that the horses had to go thru to get to pasture.
                    After the umteenth infection, my farrier told me bluntly, you keep your horse here another year, and he will be dead. It cannot tolerate the mud.

So, I share this because there is a reason why I am not a fan of mud. Later in life, I have a horse who is prone to scratches, cellulitis and lymphangitis.

I have pastures, that horses are not allowed out on till the soil is dry.

I also have my winter paddocks. Those paddocks are filled with stonedust, which I replenish every other year.

I try to keep them clean throughout the winter, but in the frozen tundra its hard. Come spring, raking and picking up hay and poop is done.
                    I also keep one paddock pretty unused, so if anyone has an injury they can go in that and its clean and dry.

If you contact NRCS(natural resources and conservation service) they can come out and advise you and possibly even give you money or cost share making mud free paddocks.
                    As a new farm owner, remember, the cooperative extension and your state or county dept of ag are your friends...use them as a resource. Some are better than others.

good luck, and enjoy your new farm.
                    Being a steward of your land is an important aspect to being a good farmer.
                    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

I have a 20x60 sacrifice area that DH made last fall. He scraped off the grass and topsoil, then laid 8 inches of modified down on the hard pan. It doesn't get any mud, until the spring thaw, when the manure that has been too frozen to pick up finally thaws. 3 weekends ago I spent 2 days picking up all the defrosted muck. Then we got another freeze. So I will be doing it all again in a few more weeks, once spring is finally here, at least it will only be a few weeks worth instead of months!

I am thrilled with the area and we plan to add 1B stone (pea gravel type) on top of the modified, now that we have a good compacted base that got snowed and walked on all winter long. My herd is allowed to go into the big field (not roped off) but they choose not to because they don't like the mud either and the hay is in the sacrifice part!

Comment

ick. any mud is too much for me.
                        Ditto putting in a properly drained, and based and footed paddock for your horses for the wet season. They will suffer less being confined to such a dry sacrifice area than they would squooshing through 40 acres of swampland.

Think rainrot, mud fever, hoof abcesses, not to mention those hours lost scraping the clay out of their coats and off your boots and equipment.

Or the cost of getting a backhoe into dig your truck out when the SO decides that if it was dry enough for the pickup in AUGUST, its fine in MARCH.
                        Our properly drained, ditched and gravelled paddocks and drives were installed ASAP after that.

:rollyeyes
                        "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

This thread kind of makes me laugh...kind of. We had some terrorist deer take done a section of the very back of my large pasture fence - posts and all - and since the ground was too frozen to fix it, I had to rearrange some turnouts and put the main group in a smaller side paddock. The mud in that paddock was not bad at all - it was barely up over the sole of my boot, and completely dry in some places.
                          But nonetheless, I had one boarder complaining about her horse "standing in mud" and how he'll probably get thrush.
                          Yeah, he probably will - but not because of that paddock. But because its MICHIGAN! In the SPRING!

I'm lucky - it hasn't been bad on my place....yet. But to the OP, this too shall pass. We all have mud. It's kind of like death and taxes. In a month or two it will but a memory

Comment

Count me in

As a Charter Member of the MudHaters Association

I am in my 7th year of dealing with this Rite of Spring.

Setting aside a sacrifice paddock - mine is between pastures - seems to be about the only way to deal with the ground thawing, snow melting & grass reemerging.

FWIW:
                            I am no slave t omy pastures & never keep the horses off them, even now.
                            As a result my grass is not what you'd call lush, but enough comes back to keep 2 horses happy & their Summer hay consumption way down.
                            *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                            Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                            Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                            Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Working...
                            X