• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spin-off: Raised Garden Beds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin-off: Raised Garden Beds

Reading the soil additive threads inspired this spin-off. I want to put in a vegetable garden this year. I have done this before, but I'm on a new property that doesn't have the best drainage and is low to begin with, so I'm leaning towards putting in raised beds this time.

I'm wondering what would be inexpensive material to use for the beds themselves. I hear a lot of recommendations for treated lumber, but I'm not thrilled about using something chemically treated for a garden. Trying to be eco-friendly without breaking the bank. I'm assuming non-treated lumber would just end up rotting...

Also, is there anything different about maintaining a raised bed vs. a traditional one? I've heard maintenance is actually easier, which would be a good thing - I do NOT have the greenest thumb in the world and this is going to be my first time doing the garden thing on my own.

My mother is into gardening and her and my father (slave assistant #1) built their raised garden beds this past spring. Let me tell you, when I showed up I thought my mother was growing the Amazon jungle in the back yard. The plants were HUGE and thriving. She is still getting carrots out of the garden in the middle of this interesting New England winter!

My father used pressure treated lumber to put it all together. They as well weren't thrilled using something chemically treated in their garden, but so far it seems to have no ill effects and everything has held up great!

Not too sure about the maintenance, but I know she had some nice mixture of soils (can ask for specifics when I talk to her) and tilled it before planting all her seeds. I kid you not when I say that it was the most maintenance free space and the plants were gigantic! Almost too big to be honest.

I'll press her for more details when I see her, hope that was somewhat helpful. I have zero green thumb, but when I used to visit and watch her tend it it all seemed stupid easy....
    Originally posted by barka.lounger
    bar.ka here
    h/j riders are used to bending over, every.time they pay their.show bills at the office. event.ers not so mu.ch.

Comment

I asked this on OT day.

Best idea I got was old haybales as the walls. Cheap, friendly, makes mulch when your done.

Or use cinderblox if this is forever.
      “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

We used pressure-treated landscaping timbers and lined the bed with 5 mil polyester film to keep the chemicals from the timbers from leaching into the garden soil.

Comment

I have some with PT lumber and some with white pine bought at the home improvement store. Some others are southern yellow pine milled from some trees we cut down on the property. None of it is going to last forever sitting there in contact with the ground and being watered regularly.

I vaguely recall a study showing that the stuff in the PT lumber doesn't migrate too far, but in general I figure I'll die of something far less interesting. Unless you're trying to be certified organic I wouldn't worry too much about it.

There is some new plastic lumber sold for use as deck boards that looks interesting, but it's expensive!

And this is HR because I'm growing carrots for the pony.
          --
          Wendy
          ... and Patrick

Comment

I can't remember where I read it but the treated lumber is not all that terrible as Organic Gardening likes us to believe. But if you have old bails, those work fine, Cinder block (which will leach calcium into the soil, only important when you want to grow azaleas or blueberries...)

A great alternative are those planks made from recycled materials.
            Originally posted by BigMama1
            Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

^^ I recall reading the same but don't remember where.

my raised beds are basically mounded with PT framing.

I am commandeering a forgotten portion of a neighbor's yard (with permission of course ) and too lazy and cheap to make a new raised bed. I'm also overflowing with rich heavy compost this year so I'm doing smart pots: http://www.smartpots.com/why-better

I also half thought about this:
              http://www.gardeners.com/Composite-L...efault,cp.html

and this:
              http://www.gardeners.com/Grow-Beds/V...efault,cp.html
              Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

We put in 9 more raised beds last year because our soil is terrible and super wet and nearly impossible to get prepared in the spring. We bought PT wood (can't remember the height) but they are 6' x 10'. We put landscape fabric down then put the wood on top and bought a really nice 4-way soil mixture. We made sure to place them far enough apart that we could get the riding lawnmower between them to mow. That way it is really easy to maintain the area around them and it looks really nice with grass.

Something to consider when building raised beds is the size. My neighbors but in one large bed instead of many smaller ones. It ended up being a PITA because it was so big that they couldn't reach all the plants from outside of the bed so they had to leave areas unplanted to walk in.
                RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
                May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
                RIP San Lena Peppy
                May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

I'm using scrap lumber from some farm buildings that are falling down. Also have used cinder blocks, old hay/straw bales, railroad ties, and even just mounded the dirt. All worked well and no health problems noted....from my understanding any leaching of chemicals usually goes downward with the water flow so not out into the beds anyway. You can always line them with some kind of plastic liner if you wanted to. I'm making mine 24 inches tall which sounds pretty tall (and is) but it 1) keeps the rabbits out...even the jackrabbits aren't climbing that tall and 2) makes the beds very accessible to me when I'm a bit stiff and sore or to older friends that stop by or even elderly guests (looking at doing adult care in my home). I'm making sure they aren't too wide to reach across and that there's space enough for walkers/wheelchairs to go between (using gravel or wood shavings for walk ways...over layers of cardboard or newspaper to block weed growth.
                  Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                  www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                  Northern NV

Comment

I recycled old decking that was 17 years old when I put the beds in. I lined each of them with heavy duty plastic just in case… Here it is all cleaned up & ready for the growing season.

In case it needs to be HR, I used composted straw bedding.
                    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Comment

Here is a zen garden someone posted a while back.
                      Just think how many carrots you could grow for your horses there:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1300918323

Comment

I had hubby build me these in our last place:

http://www.ipwoody.com/

They were BEAUTIFUL and the veggies grew like nothing you had ever seen before and it was SO easy to maintain and weed as you werent bending or kneeling down all the time

I'd love to do them at this place as well ...
                        www.TrueColoursFarm.com
                        www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Creaghgal View Post
                          I recycled old decking that was 17 years old when I put the beds in. I lined each of them with heavy duty plastic just in case… Here it is all cleaned up & ready for the growing season.

In case it needs to be HR, I used composted straw bedding.
                          That is absolutly great! JEALOUS! I had raised beds when in MA and a picket fence with flower beds and flower boxes by the gate, but it was much smaller than your garden. I was planning to do some this year, but I think I may just do what my SIL always does - tuck some vegetable and herb plants in my regular landscaping around the house. She has a way of mixing and matching that looks great, so I'll need her eye so that it doesn't look weird. We both have houses that look like cottages, so it fits. If I do any raised beds, I will copy Creaghgal's!

Comment

• Original Poster

These are all great ideas...I'll have to see what might be lying around the place, although right now I'm leaning towards those grow beds posted by Buck22 as a good balance of cost and convenience. Since this is a rental, they will not be permanent, and I could take those with me when/if I moved.

Now, if spring would ever get here...it is hard to imagine that I'll be able to plant anything anytime soon as it is a whopping 28 degrees here today...

Comment

I put in a raised bed using 2x8 non treated wood. It was one of those temporary things, intended to last only a year or two until I had a better idea of what I wanted to do with the space. The sides remained intact for over 10 years, to my great surprise.

Comment

Our raised beds were built with the synthetic decking material you can get at Lowes. Ours are gray. I think it also comes in brown. It is expensive but it won't rot and it's not chemically treated like PT wood or creosote. PT wood these days does not have arsenic in it but I think it does have salt. Salt can leach out and inhibit plant growth.

Comment

Square foot gardening looks really easy
                                  http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf40575731.tip.html

Comment

We get our cattle minerals in plastic tubs.
                                    Those tubs are used by many for water or feed in horse pens.

Some are putting dirt and compost in those tubs and raising garden plants in them.
                                    Easy to get around them, easy to weed and tend to the plants and harvest from them.

Old manure buckets would also work the same way.

Comment

It's past time to have most things in the ground where I live, and I am out of time/energy to construct.

I grabbed 4 old metal troughs from our storage barn, bottoms rusted mostly through. They look surprisingly awesome by the house with a sort of industrial vibe. Filled with compost from the manure pile, they're ready to go.

A bonus for me is that, filled only halfway up with dirt, my young tomatoes are protected from the wind that whips around on our hill. Bonus.

For climbing things this year, I built a Secret Garden Clubhouse for the kids. I cut a 4x25 hogwire panel in half, laid them next to each other so 8x12ish, screwed 2x4s together on 2 sides, and popped the frame up in an arch. (Think about a tent pole - same idea.) Anchored it to the ground with u-shaped rebar, and the girls are planting cantaloupes, grapes, cucumbers, and something flowery. Good fun, cool shade, and easy harvesting!
                                      "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Comment

Forgot to mention -- hubby is thrilled with troughs compared to our normal in-the-dirt gardens, as he can wheedwhack way more easily and not have to worry about accidentally hitting garden plants.
                                        "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Comment

Working...
                                        X