• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Just got a Centaur Installation estimate...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a Centaur Installation estimate...

$10.75 per linear foot for 4 rail 5" CenFlex with 10' post spacing. Flat ground, no rocks, etc... One gate.

From what I've been able to figure, a little less than half of that is for labor.

My fencing experience is extremely limited, and I realize that markets vary around the country, but could anyone tell me if the above is the norm?

I had less than 500' to fence (a long and short side of a half finished long rectangle). I wasn't expecting the estimate to be over $5,000.

Also, could anyone explain the difference between Centaur HTP and CenFlex? I had asked for a Centaur quote and they came back with the CenFlex quote... I can see that it has a shorter warranty and that it's less expensive.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I would be curious to know also, since I close on my farm at the end of the month and will be doing some research on fencing options. So any information would be greatly useful.

Comment

$10.75 a foot? Is it gold-plated?
      I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Nope, it's not gold plated, just the estimate.

Figured it (without a diagram) using our prices $1657 or $3.30 a foot (not counting shipping because I don't where the OP is located) for CenFlex or $2239 for Centaur. Posts and concrete usually run about $1.50 a foot so another $750 for those. Sounds like the difference is labor without seeing your quote which would be about $5 a foot.

There are big differences around the country on installation costs. Larger installations can get better per foot prices than smaller ones.

Cenflex is a tad thinner than Centaur but break strength is the same. The bracket looks similar but is one piece instead of two piece. Same tensioning systems, etc.

Doesn't hurt to get more than estimate. Many customers buy from someone like us with discounted prices and then hire the pros to set the posts, etc.
        Some do it all themselves. Some have the posts set and hang the rail themselves. Often the material to go on the fence is the least expensive part of the project.

Comment

Installing centaur fencing is pretty easy. Far easier than doing board fence. I'm also wondering why they recommended doing posts every 10'. When we did ours they recommended 12-16'. That's 8 more posts right there.

Flat ground, no rocks and one gate. That sounds pretty straight forward. You could have all the posts in in one weekend and hang the fence the next.

Comment

We got fence quote too. Now doing it ourselves

We just had a local fencing company out to give me a quote on putting fencing (the centaur type) for one acre, with 1 gate.
            Quote was $4600 (and I provided Gate as I have one already).

Ouch. So we are looking into doing the project ourselves. Figure should be able to do project for half that quote, hopefully even less.

Anyone use the corded flex Electrobraid rope? I saw it at the PA Expo and really like it. Thinking about sending them my fence plan layout and measurements to get a quote for a DIY project.

BTW we are getting our local lumber mill (where we custom order wood for our barn stalls) to make out fence posts. He does them for all the local fencing companies and if I get them direct from mill I save $3.50 a post.

Comment

• Original Poster

HuntToLive, I've never seen properly installed Centaur fencing and I'm not sure if I could get it up myself. Can it be attached without a helper?

I've nailed up enough replacement boards to know I could do that...

What's worrying me are the posts. I can not dig the holes and set the posts myself and have nobody to help me, which is why I figured I'd have it professionally installed, but if they're going to charge me $40 a post hole for installation...

I've got calls in to two other fence installers. Worst case scenario, I'll go with wood (would just need the post holes dug, posts set and the boards delivered), nail on the boards myself and hot wire the top.

lostkiwi, that quote is insane. Please post pictures when you're done with it.

Comment

Centaur's max recommendation for post spacing is 12 feet. Rolls are sold with
                brackets for 8, 10 or 12 feet and price varies with post spacing due to the number of brackets required. 12 foot is the least expensive due to less brackets required.

10 foot is gonna of a middle of the road spacing--looks closer to four board spacing of 8 feet. Spacing choice sort depends on types of horses--with
                mares and foals, we tend to recommend 4 rail and closer posts. For quiet guys, 3 rail with 12 foot is probably fine. Other questions are are there horses on the other side of the fence, any escape artists in the crowd. How hard are posts to set on your place...easy ground or rock to deal with. Just a lot of variables to take into account along with the $$$ involved.

Another question is are you thinking of running some electric also, especially
                with horses on each side. Centaur's coated electric wire is often used between rails as well as the non-electric coated wire.

We try to emphasize for the DIY folks to follow the directions for the corner
                and end/gate post bracing. No shortcuts, no reinventing the wheel. Just follow the manual.

Comment

We paid to have our posts set and we installed the flex rails ourselves. It was pretty simple and was a good "bonding" experience with my husband. I love the look of the Centaur fence and we've been very pleased. No escaped or injured horses and we've had the fence for about 5 years or more.

Best of luck.

Comment

• Original Poster

GallopHer, do you recall what you were charged to have the posts set?

Comment

Originally posted by GallopHer View Post
                      We paid to have our posts set and we installed the flex rails ourselves. It was pretty simple and was a good "bonding" experience with my husband. I love the look of the Centaur fence and we've been very pleased. No escaped or injured horses and we've had the fence for about 5 years or more.

Best of luck.
                      This. It is excellent fence. Love it.
                      www.Somermistfarm.com
                      Quality Hunter Ponies

Comment

I have about 9 acres to fence and have been setting fence posts myself for what seems like forever. I do what I can on the weekends when the weather allows. We have rock and the back half of my property is fairly steep. I am doing no- climb wire and wooden posts.

Can I say, I hate it...I just hate it. If I EVER have to do this again, I will pay some one to do it and I would use something like Centaur.

I keep thinking, if I had just bitten the bullet and PAID the $$$$$, this would all be done...alas, I tried to save money and do it myself....live and learn.
                        Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
                        Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
                        Green Alligator "Captain"

Comment

That's almost to the penny what we paid last year to install 5000 feet of 4-rail vinyl Gardner fencing. That included 9 gates, all hardware, and each post set in concrete. They had a crew of 6 and the job was beautifully done in 10 days. We live in Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by zakkandtoto View Post

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

start dranking...

Tamara
                            Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                            I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

A lot depends on where you live too.

I have Ramm fence (similar to Centaur) and had my fencing redone last year. I had one paddock we put up ourselves 6 years earlier that got removed and redone in straight lines (instead of the drunken ones we had) and had the second paddock fenced.

I had *all* materials. All posts, brackets, insulators, coated wire, Flex fence, ground rods, charger...even all nails, screws and bags of quik-crete. They only had to bring the manpower and machinery, that's it.

Had 680 linear fence done, 4 gates. (had all gates too) Top rail flex fence, 4 rails coated wire, one line electrobraid.

Cost was $5k for installation only.
                              And I painted my own posts.
                              And they used my chainsaw because theirs sucked and wasn't cleaned so it didn't cut much of anything.

Fence posts were mostly pounded, a few had to have crete due to the wet because it was early spring when it was done.

I'm in CT. Where everything costs a freaking arm and a leg.

I will say though that my fence looks fantastic. (it better for that price, LOL)

The larger places around here that actually have big pastures...have no bloody idea how they afford to fence it in.
                              You jump in the saddle,
                              Hold onto the bridle!
                              Jump in the line!
                              ...Belefonte

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Comment

We've got Centaur (that we ordered from DoubleJ... I guess that'd be basquemom. Hi Julie!) and absolutely love it! It took forever to set some of the posts as we ran into some really hard ground, but others went right in. If you're not wanting to rent or buy an auger to make the post holes, you might be able to find a local fencing company to set the posts for you fairly cheap and then install the Centaur (CenFlex / whatever) yourself. It's just a matter of being able to use a drill with a screwdriver bit and attaching the tensioners.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
                                  David A. Staples
                                  Pony Tail Acres | Find Us On Facebook

Comment

Sparky -

may I ask who you used? That seems like a pretty good deal!

Comment

I'd personally rather have (at least the line) fence posts driven in instead of dug in and placed anyway. Is that not recommended for Centaur installation--maybe that is different?

If I were you, I would hire the posts set (and they can do the corner bracing too if you want) and then put it up yourself. But I'm a big DIY kind of gal. I've also helped build tensioned fence before, so I have a reference point, which is that it really isn't that hard. But maybe Centaur is different.
                                      DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd suggest you pay someone to dig the holes or to drive the posts, and then consider the rest of the installation yourself. You do need at least a second person to put posts in and it's essential the end posts are set in concrete and properly braced.

The shorter your fence run is, the higher your cost is going to be per foot, just to get the laborers to your site and to deal with the startup costs. Centaur is also much more expensive for a corner or gate end than say a plain board fence because of the bracing.

I have a similar RAMM fence in combination with no-climb, and I'm very pleased.

But, yes. Fence is really expensive.
                                        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Working...
                                        X