Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Size of stalls in new barn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of stalls in new barn

The price of a 10x10 stall is less than that of a 12 x 12 stall.

Will a 10x10 stall be too small for a 16 hh horse?

How about 10x12?

Don't bother going 10x10, you'll regret it eventually.

Would it be fine for a 16h horse inside a couple of hours? Sure.

Would a 16h horse be happy in there for longer? Maybe, but not something I'd want to force him to do.

Resale on 10x10 stalls is not nearly as much as 12x12

Comment

I'd go for the 12 x 12. A 16 hand horse will be more comfortable. They can do fine in 10 x 10, but I'd rather give them all the room I could. 10 x 12 is a good alternative if the pricing is a problem.

Comment

Go with the 12 x 12. That's fairly standard size for horse stalls. I wouldn't go with 10 x 10 unless the stalls will be mainly housing ponies, and then it will hurt the property resale as mentioned above.
        Flickr

Comment

I would also recommend 12' X 12'.
          Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Comment

Many of the older barns have 10x10 stalls as is used to be the standard. I have often had 16h horses in 10x10s, but not full time. They seem to be pretty comfortable in for 8-12 hours daily.

If you are not caring about resale value, and it is for your own personal horses, long term property, and you have to find a way on a limited budget, I would certainly go this way. I built my new little barn 8x10 and absolutely love it. That said, usually my horses are only in 8 to 12 hours, and the horses in those stalls are 15.2-3. If you can build it so that 2 of the stalls can be opened up into 10x20 if needed, that would be the way I would go.

The barn I used to manage was totally 10x10 stalls - all 32 of them. Always full with boarders, various sized horses, including 16.2h warmbloods, and sometimes they were in for several days due to weather. They still are the same and charge about $650 a month with no indoor.

Comment

It's harder to keep a 10 X 10 stall clean, particularly with a big horse in it. Your blankets will get filthy, hay gets ruined (stepped and pooped/peed on), and you'll go through a lot of bedding. What's that old saying? "Cheap is more expensive in the long run?"

My Dad's stallion barn had 14 X 14 stalls. I loved that barn.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Fish View Post
                It's harder to keep a 10 X 10 stall clean, particularly with a big horse in it. Your blankets will get filthy, hay gets ruined (stepped and pooped/peed on), and you'll go through a lot of bedding.
                I really don't find that to be the case at all, in fact my husband agues that when I move a piggy horse from a smaller stall to a larger one, that now they trash more bedding, and he has to take out more each day. <We disagree over the reason for this>

The only time I have horses trashing their hay is when they are given too much. Then the piggy ones trash it no matter what size the stall is. Neat horses are usually just that in any size. I have 2 that are super neat in 8x10s.

Some of the messiest are in the largest stalls I have, in fact one mare we moved from an 8x10 to the biggest stall I have on the property when it became available and she went from super neat to a total pig. Her owner is really considering moving her back as she thinks she was happier in the smaller stall.

Comment

I vote for the 12x12. In addition to all the good reasons listed above, a 12x12 can have a wall taken out and made in to a really roomy foaling stall. Also it can be divided into two small pony stalls (6'x12') with the addition of a floor to ceiling support post at the end of the new short wall from which you can hang two stall gates. Ask me how I know
                  ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                  Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
                    I really don't find that to be the case at all, in fact my husband agues that when I move a piggy horse from a smaller stall to a larger one, that now they trash more bedding, and he has to take out more each day. <We disagree over the reason for this>

The only time I have horses trashing their hay is when they are given too much. Then the piggy ones trash it no matter what size the stall is. Neat horses are usually just that in any size. I have 2 that are super neat in 8x10s.

Some of the messiest are in the largest stalls I have, in fact one mare we moved from an 8x10 to the biggest stall I have on the property when it became available and she went from super neat to a total pig. Her owner is really considering moving her back as she thinks she was happier in the smaller stall.
                    I have to agree with this - my 16.3 SWB mare is a pig - and she has a stall which is 10 x 18. She poops, pees all over the stall and walks through it.

The Dutch mare is smaller (15.1) and thus gets the smaller stall (10 x 12). She poops in one spot and eats ALL her hay (unless she talks me into giving her too much ) - a much neater horse.
                    Now in Kentucky

Comment

• Original Poster

I think I'll do the 10x14 - that will get me the almost the same square footage as 12 x 12.

Comment

12 x 12's work better for large horses. They need enough room to lay down with out the chance of getting cast. The horse has more room to move without circling so tightly. Ramm has a sale going on right now and you might be able to get some 12 x12,s at a better price.

Comment

• Original Poster

Do you have a link to Ramm?

I am looking at these http://deercreekstables.com/

Comment

It's not all about square footage, it's about room to turn around comfortably.

Figure about 75"-ish in length for an average 16h horse, point of shoulder to point of butt. That's 6'+. Add another maybe 2.5-3' for the neck and head in a relaxed position. That's pushing 9'. Now hang a bucket or three on 1 wall and you've taken out that extra room.

10' is really not a lot for a 16h+ horse to turn around without bumping into things. They CAN, but...

It's not just about square footage

Comment

Go stand in your shower for about 10 hours and see how you like it, then go stand in your whole bathroom.
                              12x12.
                              "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

On one side of my barn aisle I have 12x12 stalls, on the other side they are 12x14. If I were to build it again I would put 12x14 on both sides. I wouldn't go any smaller than 12x12 though. I think if you have the option to make them bigger for just small up charge now go for it, it is well worth the extra investment.
                                "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

PRS - your sig line!

Comment

PRS, is this a pole barn or a freestanding barn?

I don't understand how one side can be 12x12 and the other 12x14. Help me to understand since that is what I want to do in my new barn. One side for the big horses and stalls to be 12x14, and the other side for the lights and ponies and be 12x12 or even a few 12x10 for the tiny ones.
                                    thanks.
                                    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

I saw a barn built by this company, with portable stalls and they were very stout and very reasonable in price:

http://www.noblepanels.com/stalls-barns.htm

It was this model:

http://www.noblepanels.com/horse-barn.htm

They told me they checked several companies and this one had the best barn for the least money.

Our old race horse barn, built in 1960, had 10'x10' stalls, the ends/corners had 3 10'x14'.
                                      In the 10'x10's, it was a tight fit for some of the larger horses.

Comment

Due to the way my barn was built I had to put in 10 deep x 12 wide stalls to avoid custom fab of stalls to avoid the I-beams. My situation is way different than most in that my horses are only in their stalls with the doors closed when I feed. I have doors on the front (into a concrete isle) and a door on the back ( into a covered 10'-0 shed row) where they can come and go at their leasure to get out of the weather. I was upset that my design of 12 x 12 stalls was not happening in this barn. I have 16 h + thoroughbreds and on many occasions there are 3 adult 16h horses in one stall eating hay or standing under the fan. So much for thinking these stalls are small. If I was building another barn I would make sure there was room for 12 x 12 but since my horse are in and out all day and night my stalls work for me. If I have to confine anyone due to illness I have two stalls with 50 x 50 paddock attached and that has also served me well. Look at Priefert stalls, they are good quality and have many different options.

Comment

Working...
                                        X