• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

More snow--lots of snow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More snow--lots of snow

And this time I'm not properly prepared at all. It's been snowing for hours and is expected to snow at least until sometime tonight. Look like eight to ten inches this time.

Most snow we've had in decades.

How do people for whom snow is a common occurrence deal with and prepare for it?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Can't help you with snow, but I'm good with hurricanes. Just wanted to wish you the best dealing with the snow. It must be a royal pain. Stay safe.

Comment

Every fall I start making sure to keep a lot of canned food for everybody (people, dogs, cats). Extra hay and grain for horses. Gas for generator, vehicles gassed up, antifreeze topped off, windshield wiper fluid full. Fences and sheds in good condition. Heaters for water tubs a nice idea if you have access to electric. Lots of candles,flashlights, and batteries, books, movies and board games. Then only go outside as often as neccessary to take care of horses, otherwise hunker down inside and wait it out.
      Stallions are from Mars.
      Mares are from Venus.
      Ponies are from Hell!

Comment

We had 6" of wet snow last week, down to -7.
        We had 7" of dry snow last night, down to -2, but are back to 20 right now.
        It is sitting in big drifts, on top of what was left of the old snow.

The horses are fine, playing in the snow.

Comment

When you live in the land of snow, you get used to being prepared for it. We have the equipment to deal with it, our lifestyle and our horses lifestyles are set up to handle it, and life goes on as normal. Now, there are days when you look out side and think "is my journey really necessary?" and if the answer is "no" you stay home.

From a work perspective, in the winter I always make sure I take something home with me i could work on the next day if the weather closed in overnight.

I make sure my feed and hay stocks are such that we don't run into problems if we can't get out, or don't want to get out, for a couple of days. I have basic vet stuff on hand.

We had about 10" on Monday night. Snow's clean. I'd rather deal with it than mud. It's the cold that I find wearing, though.

Comment

I'm seeing forecasts of 5-7 inches, highs tomorrow in the mid/upper 30s, highs Friday in the 40s.

You'll make it

Comment

Prepare for it? We do the same thing today that we did yesterday. Get up, layer, plow, shovel, salt, curse.

The pantry is full. The generator is on standby. When we do get out, we stock up again. Can't let stuff like sawdust, feed and milk run low. And I'd hate to be caught without wine or chocolate.
              ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Originally posted by SmartAlex View Post
                Prepare for it? We do the same thing today that we did yesterday. Get up, layer, plow, shovel, salt, curse.
                This X 10
                Repeat as needed until Spring finally comes.
                Then curse the mud.
                & consider relocating to somewhere that has better weather
                *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

vineyridge - If it makes you feel any better, I have not been off the yard save for one trip for diesel in over two weeks. I manage a trip to the city about once every three weeks, buy enough food for me and the kitties for that long, and just tough it out. I clean out the yard every couple of days or as needed, do chores while I am doing it and just deal with it. I have not seen a person in in 10 days and only talked to a few on the phone. We have well over 4' of snow here, and drifts ranging from 6' to well over 15'. I have no fence now, havent seen the east fenceline since mid-November, horses stuck inside until spring. Two barn cats have moved into the house, the others are too wild.
                  Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Here is one long range weather report, for what those are worth:

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-...ough-2011.html

Weather affects all of us, especially those caring for animals, here horses.
                    The weather makes it easier or harder and what we feed our horses cheaper or harder and more expensive to find and buy.

Lets hope the coming weather will be kind to all of us, our horses and us too.

Comment

Wow, I'm sure you're not prepared for snow where you are! I would imagine yours will melt in only a few days. But in the meantime, any sort of wide, flat shovel can be used to clear a path, and if you have some icy/slippery patches you can spread shavings from your stalls (if you have stalls) over the ice. I actually find that the shavings from the wet spots work best
                      Do as little driving as possible, if you're not used to snow it's better to just stay home.
                      If the footing is solid underneath and the snow is soft & fluffy, hop on bareback & go for a ride! But beware, horses usually love snow & cold and will be pretty full of themselves.

Comment

• Original Poster

Bluey, the weather forecast was very interesting because the weather these last few years has definitely reminded me of the weather that we had in the 50s and 60s. My mother always said that the Bible was right, and that weather came in seven year cycles. I know we had very droughty weather in the 50s, and my father put in irrigation. Then the weather changed, and the irrigation wasn't needed for 20 or 25 years. All the irrigation equipment had long since been sold, so it was replaced with a "supplemental" system that has been working full time over the last five years. I even remember how much snow we used to get in the 50s and 60s, something that hasn't happened here until now. And, as a consequence, I'm convinced, the tick population exploded; of course aerial spraying with pesticides helped keep the ticks down also. If this and last year's very cold weather and snow do anything to cut back on fleas and ticks, the inconvenience is so worth it.

I have several of my grandfather's farm diaries from 1910 to 1935 or so, and he kept pretty good records of temperature and precipitation. Guess it might behoove me to go back into them and see what they have to offer, since I'm housebound.

When I got up this morning, the snow was unbroken, the sun had just come up, and the light was exquisite; kind of a pinkish golden that filled the air and the snow. Now everything is flat, white, and glaring, with a cloudless blue sky above.

If I had condensed milk, I'd make snow ice cream!
                        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                          When I got up this morning, the snow was unbroken, the sun had just come up, and the light was exquisite; kind of a pinkish golden that filled the air and the snow. Now everything is flat, white, and glaring, with a cloudless blue sky above.

If I had condensed milk, I'd make snow ice cream!
                          It sure is pretty to look at, not so pretty when you have to shovel it. I would send you my snow shovels that I brought with me from CT, but they make very handy barn tools for scooping up barn sweepings and manure.

I saw pictures from a friend in Arkansas yesterday, they got 18 inches of snow, it looked more like New England!

Hope you and your animals are all holding up okay.
                          There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

If you live in N.E., the first thing you do to prepare is to go out and buy milk and bread. Somone in an earlier post just moved to this area, and posted questioning why we all did this. By now, I think she knows!

Best of luck with your storm. Agree: hunker down and wait it out, then shovel and curse.
                            "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

We used to live in Upstate, NY. Dug in in November...dug out in April. But we had a huge 30 stall barn with indoor track and indoor arena!! Moved to NC where we enjoyed life for 16 years. Then moved to OK where we have witnessed in the past 5.5 years - Lucky Us - the worst drought in centuries, the worst rain/floods in centuries and now SNOW and COLD!! Last week we got 20 inches of heavy wet snow, then a few days later we got 4 more inches. This week they predicted 4-6 inches...we got over 24 MORE inches of light powder and strong winds. Yup, drifts over your head. Temp last night was supposed to be minus 4...is was MINUS 28 degrees this morning. Coldest in recorded history. Do you think that WE are just bad luck???
                              www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                              Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Eggs Chief...you forgot to mention eggs on the Official Nor'Easter Grocery List.

See, when it snows in New England...the law is that ALL citizens must drive to any location that sells these three staples. Then park badly, clog the aisles and get into fist fights over these items.

It doesn't matter if you're a household of one, allergic to flour, have high cholesterol and are lactose intolerant...you MUST buy many loaves of bread, at least 3 dozen eggs and a few gallons of milk.

Because apparently the only way to survive being snowed in for 12-24 hours is to stand at your cooktop and make endless French toast.

I find it a better time to bake...when not outside clearing. Because every person with a plow or tractor in my neighborhood stops by for something fresh bakes and a cup of coffee or cocoa. I don't know why...they just do.

Crosscreek..with that kind of luck, please don't consider a move to CT.
                                You jump in the saddle,
                                Hold onto the bridle!
                                Jump in the line!
                                ...Belefonte

Comment

Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post
                                  We used to live in Upstate, NY. Dug in in November...dug out in April. But we had a huge 30 stall barn with indoor track and indoor arena!! Moved to NC where we enjoyed life for 16 years. Then moved to OK where we have witnessed in the past 5.5 years - Lucky Us - the worst drought in centuries, the worst rain/floods in centuries and now SNOW and COLD!! Last week we got 20 inches of heavy wet snow, then a few days later we got 4 more inches. This week they predicted 4-6 inches...we got over 24 MORE inches of light powder and strong winds. Yup, drifts over your head. Temp last night was supposed to be minus 4...is was MINUS 28 degrees this morning. Coldest in recorded history. Do you think that WE are just bad luck???
                                  Wellll, I wouldn't want you to move in next to me.....

Comment

Yeah, Crosscreek, we've got our hands full as it is! Only joking.

How could I forget the eggs?? We need it for making french toast on the hibachi when the power goes out.

MistyBlue is right about the strange grocery habits of New Englanders, right down to the fist fights in the aisles. We tend to go a little wacky ahead of the snow. She's also right about the coffee and baked goods offerings when neighbors drop in. Or the vet. Or the farrier. Or the guy who plows you out and takes it to go.
                                    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                                      It doesn't matter if you're a household of one, allergic to flour, have high cholesterol and are lactose intolerant...you MUST buy many loaves of bread, at least 3 dozen eggs and a few gallons of milk.

Because apparently the only way to survive being snowed in for 12-24 hours is to stand at your cooktop and make endless French toast.

I find it a better time to bake...when not outside clearing.
                                      I keep a couple of the Tastefully Simple beer bread mixes in the pantry. I don't even have to wait for it to rise. Open the mix, pour in a can of beer (we always have plenty of that stocked up) and an hour later...viola' instant bread!

Then we just sit around, drink wine and eat bread until the butter runs out
                                      ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

I am hoping to get out over the weekend. Despite the more moderate temps, that whitecrap is still blowing around and piling in the lane. Spent some time contemplating the tenfer sale at one of the grocery stores last night, looking at things I can stock up on - winter ain't over here by a long shot.
                                        Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Working...
                                        X