• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Type of contractor needed for outdoor arena construction? (NC)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of contractor needed for outdoor arena construction? (NC)

We are gearing up to build our outdoor arena from scratch. I want to start talking to different contractors -- but exactly what type of contractor do I need to look for? Ideally, I'd like someone who can do everything except fence it in -- essentially need someone to do the grading, drains, and compacting the sub-base and base, arrange for materials, etc. I plan to ask if they have experience doing riding arenas, but I need somewhere to start. Do I look for contractors who specializing in excavation / grading / site prep and roads?

If anyone has specific recommendations for someone who does this in the southwest area of NC (or the Charlotte area), please let me know. I do have one recommendation from a COTHer on my list so far, but would appreciate others, too.

And yes, I do have the USDF booklet, Underfoot.

Call World Tractor and ask if they have any recommendations. They probably know all of them in your area. They probably won't want to answer the question, but may give some advice and a starting place.

World Tractor & Equipment Company, LLC
    10600 Nations Ford Road
    Charlotte, NC 28273 USA
    PH: (704) 544-7740
    FX: (704) 544-7616
    www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

I went with the excavator who put in my septic system. He did both pads for barn & indoor. Also brought in the base & final sand footing for the arena, crusher-run for barn & stalls.

The one FBI (barn builders) recommended was not returning their calls.

This guy was the Da Vinci of excavators, took him weeks to level to his satisfaction, but it paid off.

He had never done an arena, but took the time to read my copy of Underfoot & look up a local guy with an indoor so he could get the sand I wanted.
      He even brought me a bucket of that guy's arena sand for my approval.
      6 years later floor in barn & arena both serve my needs & no problems with drainage or footing.

Like TK suggests, contact local agency and/or talk to people in your area who have existing arenas for referrals.
      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Good for your contractor! I don't have a great arena, esp. now that I let weeds take control over the summer, but I used my local grading/excavator guy and was pleased. I studied the Under Foot book too and knew what I wanted when I talked with my guy. He had done enough work in the area to understand what I needed done and also had done a few rings in the area, not dressage though, and so he listened and learned too :-). I don't like the ring as it is small arena size...I prefer the standard size, but I don't have enough space without sacrificing more pasture. I need to add sand this year as well....but my sub base/base is great!

Comment

I was curious what is the under foot book you are referring to?

thanks

Comment

https://www.usdf.org/cgi-bin/commerc...&key=UNDERFOOT

Comment

I would use some specialized in road construction.....we had a paving company put in our ring.

Dalemma

Comment

IDK but I started a thread on wondering what it cost folks to put an arena in. I'd love to know at the end what it did cost ya, if you don't mind sharing...
                "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalemma View Post
                  I would use some specialized in road construction.....we had a paving company put in our ring.
                  I'm going to use the same guy that did the digging and excavating for our house that is under construction. He also has extensive experience building parking lots and access roads for utility companies--these are roads that go through private property that are finished with grass over them so they aren't noticeable, but will hold up to the traffic of very large vehicles in wet weather. I've been told that these guys really understand what "hard" means when you're talking about subsurfaces.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalemma View Post

Dalemma
                      The guy I used does just that - paving. But he also has the added bonus of having done more than a few rings as well. He TOTALLY understood the importance of NOT having any low spots.

The first guys I hired, and eventually fired, said they did roads too, as well as building pads. They obviously did NOT understand the importance of not having low spots They were also the guys I fired

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        The guy I used does just that - paving. But he also has the added bonus of having done more than a few rings as well. He TOTALLY understood the importance of NOT having any low spots.

The first guys I hired, and eventually fired, said they did roads too, as well as building pads. They obviously did NOT understand the importance of not having low spots They were also the guys I fired
                        I am going to be calling your guy first, by the way.

Comment

I hope he can help you!

Comment

Mine had also done several rings and understood exactly what I needed plus they had the best laser grader operator in the area.

Dalemma

Comment

I'll add - I know it CAN be done without one, but it takes a very, very patient operator who truly understands what he's doing to grade a ring with anything but a motor grader. I DO know people who have beautiful rings done with a bulldozer.

So be very picky about what equipment is used. I knew a MG should have been used, but my first guys insisted they could to it all with dozers and bobcats and surveyor's equipment, and I believed them, 'cause after all, they'd done roads! But GAH what a mess they made!

So yeah, unless you have a really, REALLY good reason not to, insist a motor grader is used. My first guys said the job wasn't big enough to warrant one

Comment

I'll add - I know it CAN be done without one, but it takes a very, very patient operator who truly understands what he's doing to grade a ring with anything but a motor grader. I DO know people who have beautiful rings done with a bulldozer.

So be very picky about what equipment is used. I knew a MG should have been used, but my first guys insisted they could to it all with dozers and bobcats and surveyor's equipment, and I believed them, 'cause after all, they'd done roads! But GAH what a mess they made!

So yeah, unless you have a really, REALLY good reason not to, insist a motor grader is used. My first guys said the job wasn't big enough to warrant one :rolleyes:
                                Well in my opinion having a lazer grader is much quicker....we did ours in a one 12 hour day.........it comes down to how many days do you want to spend on a lesser piece of equipement ......it should do the same job for a cheaper price if not you should be looking at what makes the job go quicker and easier.......after all isn't that how contractors make their money.......by getting in and out (and doing a good) and moving on to the next job.....no point in spinning your wheels.

I know when we do a job.....we look at what equipment bests fits that job........it seems to me lazer graders are extremely well suited to building rings.......why would you use a different piece of equipement that would take you days to get the same results that you could get in done in one day with the grader. 12 hours cost me $1200.00.

Dalemma

Comment

Maybe we're talking about the same thing? Can't a motor grader also be laser?

Comment

Maybe we're talking about the same thing? Can't a motor grader also be laser?
                                    I don't know JB.......its possible they are the same thing? I'm not sure what you mean by motor grader? I know the lazer grader eliminates the need for a transit.....as the lazer is what determines the slope and keeps it consistent......but the machine is only as good as its operator.

Dalemma

Comment

JB .....I googled motor grader then lazer grader......basically a motor grader has a motor ........a lazer grader can be several different types of machine set up with attached lazers or built in lazers which allows you to get with 1/8" of being level.

The lazer grader we used was one of the big ones you see building highways..........I see from googling there are much smaller ones.

If you do a google I think you will understand the difference.

Dalemma

Comment

Laser controls are available even for some Bobcat attachments. Laser levels are good if you want something flat.

Our dressage ring has a 5" crown in the middle, just like I wanted, so we have one level 20 meter circle. It could not have been done with any kind of laser control on a machine that I know anything about, or certainly no one around here has one.

Here's a few simple rules that can be passed along to a Heavy Equipment Contractor about building a ring.

1.Any fill has to be compacted. Any fill needed has to be packed for every few inches of fill just like building a pad for a building on a slab.

2. The base needs to be graded so it sheds water. This can either be a slope or a crown. You do not want ANY sized spot to hold a spoonful of water. It will just get bigger, softer and deeper.

3. Any surface water needs to drain away from the whole arena. No spot can hold any water.

4. Surface water ABSOLUTELY CANNOT cross any part of the surface at any time. Not only does it need to be graded to shed water, but some provision has to be made to carry it away.

5. I've known some operators for all sorts of equipment that can do wonders with what they have operated for years, but no one can work magic without the proper piece for any part of the job. Do any immediate pass on anyone who tells you that you don't need a motor grader. Anyone capable of doing what you want for this job will have one.

6. Required equipment, with good operators, includes a Motor Grader, and at least a 20 ton Vibratory Roller. The roller might need to be brought in by a paving contractor-bigger is better. If any fill is needed you need either a dedicated packer or a big sheepsfoot roller behind a 150 hp tractor. Whatever is used to move dirt, like a dozer or a pan, doesn't matter, BUT you don't want a shovel full of dirt cut off too much and have to refill.

7. All this requires good, big equipment with very good, experienced operators. No piece of equipment is worth it's cost without a good operator in the seat.

8. reread #3.

This is just for the sub base that's under everything else.

Footing needs to be the same depth all over. This is not something that anyone I know can do from the seat of a tractor or grader unless it's a laser guded machine over a flat laser guided base. I made a "paver" by welding some big angle iron skiis on the sides of a box blade, leaving the right footing depth under the blade (the big spot welds were ground off to put the box back to being a box after the job-no big deal). This was operated just like a paver, with another loader keeping the box full. Tracks left for the skiis were filled in by shovels from a loader bucket.

Comment

Working...
                                        X