• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

2+1 Trailer: Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2+1 Trailer: Thoughts?

I've been trailer shopping and have fallen in love with 2+1 trailer configuration for a number of reasons. But like all love affairs, I know the romance wears off eventually. So I'd love to hear from any 2+1 trailer owners about the plusses and minuses.

Here's why they are appealing to me: I just acquired a third horse and I have a two horse slant load trailer. The new horse is a panicky unloader, so I have to open the divider all the way to the wall and hope he waits until I am out of the way before he turns his big self around and runs out (he's 17.2) And yes, we have worked with him extensively. Backing out is even worse!

The other two horses are smaller--14.3 and 15.1, both load and ride fine in the slant. I don't like the idea of having to unload everyone to get to the horse in the front. With two horses it didn't seem that bad but with three... not so much. I like having the option of each horse having his own way to get out.

Questions:
    What about mangers? Where do the straight load horses get their munchies? And would they be able to reach and nibble on the front horse?

I haven't actually seen one live--no dealers around here sell them so any and all feedback is appreciated. Also, good brands?

Originally posted by eesterson View Post

Questions:
    What about mangers? Where do the straight load horses get their munchies? And would they be able to reach and nibble on the front horse?
    Hay bags, and the +1 is (can be) safely configured behind full doors - check out happytrails trailers for plenty of pics.

I used to show out of a 2+1 and they are wonderful, but the "1" is not as big as a full box config - tight space for a big horse, OK for a smaller one. But the layout is awesome for "staging" out of your trailer at a show. At one point I had the 2 stall set up as a box and all my grooming stuff set up in the 1 horse area and just groomed, tacked up and led the horse out via the ramp. He could chill with hay and water when not showing.

But they are long... and they are more expensive, so for my own personal needs, although I really like the 2+1 (Hawk), I opted to get a 2 horse straight GN with a side ramp - enough to get a horse out in either direction, but sacrificing the "I wants" for just the "I needs". (unless when it is time to replace my cuurent trailer I happen to find a good deal on a 2+1 then all bets are off... but people hang on to those).

YMMV
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

I have a Merhow 2+1. I replaced my two horse straight load with this one. I love it! I bought mine right off the lot, and I think it was actually built with draft horses in mind as the two straight load stalls are nice and oversized for my warmbloods. I can also slide the divider in the straight load area to the side and make the trailer into two box stalls. (OR fold back the divider between the stalls and slide the divider and have a HUGE box.)

There is a solid divider between the two straight stalls and the box stall (think stock trailer divider). Mine will fold all the way open against the wall if I need it to.

Mine has ramps. One off the box stall and one off the back of the trailer. I like that I can lead skittish horses straight through. (My own horses are fine, but I hauled a horse for a friend that was trying to run me over and it was nice to not have to walk behind her or deal with trying to back her out of the trailer.)

Mine is set up a little awkwardly for hanging hay bags for them as they have to be hung off the tie rings to the sides. I'm still trying to figure out a way to hang them directly in front without using baling twine.

Comment

I have a 4-star 2+1 and I love it.

When I only have two horses, I use the +1 area as a tack up area. I have crossties there and the horse can then be led out the front ramp.

While you can get door dividers between the straight stalls and front area, the divider makes the front stall very small. I bought mine (gently used) without the divider, thinking I'd have one added. I've yet to add one and doubt I ever will. Without the divider, I am able to fit larger horses more comfortably in the front. I haven't had a problem with the straight stall horses biting. The horses are usually pretty content with their hay. I suppose you could use a grazing muzzle if you had a confirmed biter than had to be in one of the rear stalls.

All horses in my 2+1 eat out of hay nets, not mangers. I also have ramps -- a front ramp and a rear ramp. I love that I can load and unload horses straight, as I have one horse who can be very nervous backing off the trailer.

Comment

When the day comes, I will be upgrading to EquiSpirit's 3-Horse Safe Load (2 + 1). It's a beaut! http://www.equispirit.com/products/3horse.htm

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

I have a Balanced Ride 2+1 sold by Risa @ Happy Trails. I've had it for 1 1/2 yrs and I love, love, love it.
            "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks everyone! This is not helping me fall "out of love" with the idea of a 2+1.
              I also appreciate the brand names so now I can do a little price shopping. Haven't found too many used ones on any of the usual sites...

Since I am foxhunting a lot I like the idea of having the staging area--never thought of that--and not having to tie the horse to the trailer on a windy winter morning. Also like the idea of the box in the back and the front--two horse luxury. Now, about that lottery ticket...

Comment

I've got the Trail-et and love it! Mine has back and side ramps as well as an escape door. One of the unexpected benefits is that if I'm loading with no one to help, I can shut the back doors, lead my horse into the "+1" section, turn him and back him into a stall. On a rainy windy night that is a real bonus!

I've also used the front space to haul my little atv--plenty of room for that or a scooter or bike.

Comment

I bought mine from Risa at Happy Trails Trailers and I absolutely love it! It's a hawk 2+1 and it has made my life so much easier. I am always picking up Tb's at the track and it gives so much more flexiblity for loading horses that you don't know much about. When I am by myself using the side ramp and backing them in ensures safety. I love having the option of two box stalls because I own a horse who can throw the biggest fit you ever want to see when he is left alone on a show day when another horse is taken off. When you make a box stall there is nothing for them to hurt themselves on.

Mine has the full door that seperates the front box from the two straight stalls and I find there is still plenty of room up there for a 16h tb. I once put two 15.3 h tb mares up there together for a short trip.

I have the two big hay bags in the straight loads and a hanging bag in the box stall up front. It works well that way.
                  http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

I love the design, but they are a "want" and not a "need" at this point in my life. I just moved up from a standard 2H BP to a 2H GN, and getting used to that is plenty to keep me occupied for a while! I am LOVING the huge dressing room, and in all honesty I think I could fit my Shetland in the space in front of the two stalls (straight load, not a slant person) in a pinch!
                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

I loved the 2+1 but it was a little "too much" for me. But I have a difficult horse, like you. He will not back out of a trailer, would rather die on one than back out. I did the turn around, close my eyes and pray thing for a while, but I purchased a Hawk 2H gooseneck with a front ramp.

It is a very useful design and I really like the trailer. It is easy to get either horse on and off, which I like, is breezy so you can leave a horse on the trailer easily. I had it rubber-lined all around so I can take all out and haul in it without worry. It was at least $5k cheaper than the 2+1 was going to be, and I can easily haul it with an F150 so lots cheaper there too. Just couldn't justify the extra given my hauling needs.

Just another thought if you are looking for other options.

Comment

• Original Poster

Good thought on the "too much"--I have five horses on my place--two are boarders without a trailer who depend on me to haul them to the vet, if necessary, or to shows. I hunt, horse show, go to clinics, etc. but until I got number 3, rarely hauled two horses at once, let alone 3. Now I'm regularly hauling two horses. So do I really need a three horse trailer, just because I own three horses? If we ever had to get everyone off the place for some reason (fire?) it would take three trips.

And then there's the question of the truck. She's hanging in there—127K and two transmissions later. It is an early version of the Ram 2500 --1995--which had its share of problems but I don't have the money for both a truck and a trailer.

I'm assuming a three horse could substantially increase the weight, although my current trailer is 100 percent steel goosneck, so it's pretty heavy already.

Comment

I also appreciate the brand names so now I can do a little price shopping. Haven't found too many used ones on any of the usua sites...
                          You have to look under both 2H and 3H trailers for the 2+1s on the web sites. They are not easy to find, since different people classify them differently. Also be aware of floor length - some people market their trailers as a "2+1" when it is really a 2H straight load with a front ramp (and not enough room for a third horse of any size up front). Also, some people might be marketing their 2H straight load with a front ramp, when it is really a 2+1. You have to be patient and wade through LOTS of ads to find the used 2+1s.

I was ready to buy a less expensive brand new because I couldn't find what I wanted used. Then one night, I was wading through the ads and found my very gently used 4-star on HorseTrailerWorld.com -- for a reasonable price. It was listed under 2H trailers, but is a true 2+1 configuration. (The ad description stated it was a 2+1, but it was listed in the "2H gooseneck" trailer section.) It was 2 states away and I sent them an email basically asking if I could send a deposit to hold it for me for a few more days so I could get there. A few days later, we drove 4 hours or so each way to check it out and bring it home. The guy selling it said he had about 5 calls a day on it, but I got it because I was first. He must have listed the trailer that night and I emailed him shortly after it was listed.

They are out there, but they can be hard to find. Sometimes, you just get lucky if you take a lot of time to wade through the ads online.

I did compromise and got a trailer without a dressing room. However, I love my trailer and wouldn't trade it unless for the exact same one with a dressing room. We have a 4-door cab in our truck, though, and a gate across the gooseneck for storage. On the plus side, without a dressing room, the trailer is silghtly shorter. (We also have a 2H trailer with a dressing room if we REALLY need a dressing room for a certain event - but we pretty much always take the 2+1.) I honestly don't think I'd mind the extra length of the dressing room, though.

4-star is an excellent brand, but can be very pricey. Hawk is also an excellent brand and can be a little pricey, too. I believe Hawk is a steel frame, aluminum skin trailer. 4-star is an all aluminum trailer.

Good luck with your search!

Comment

Good thought on the "too much"--I have five horses on my place--two are boarders without a trailer who depend on me to haul them to the vet, if necessary, or to shows. I hunt, horse show, go to clinics, etc. but until I got number 3, rarely hauled two horses at once, let alone 3. Now I'm regularly hauling two horses. So do I really need a three horse trailer, just because I own three horses? If we ever had to get everyone off the place for some reason (fire?) it would take three trips.

And then there's the question of the truck. She's hanging in there—127K and two transmissions later. It is an early version of the Ram 2500 --1995--which had its share of problems but I don't have the money for both a truck and a trailer.

I'm assuming a three horse could substantially increase the weight, although my current trailer is 100 percent steel goosneck, so it's pretty heavy already.
                            If it helps, my 4-star all aluminum 2+1 without a dressing room weighs approximately 4,200 pounds empty.

I have 3 horses, and it was on my mind that I wanted to be able to haul them all at the same time if necessary in case of an emergency. Of course, I boarder on paranoid sometimes. Even though we rarely trailer 3 horses at once, I LOVE having the option to haul 3.

Comment

If you plan to use the +1 feature, you might want to consider ensuring the frame (undercarriage?) is upgraded. I also worked with Risa at happy trails and that was her recommendation when I ordered mine.

Comment

Another vote for the Equispirit. That's my trailer plan, post lottery =D
                                I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com

Comment

Originally posted by passinthru View Post
                                  If you plan to use the +1 feature, you might want to consider ensuring the frame (undercarriage?) is upgraded. I also worked with Risa at happy trails and that was her recommendation when I ordered mine.
                                  Good advice. Another reason why EquiSpirit would be my choice: undercarriage is already "upgraded"--it's part of their standard design on all their trailers, even my EquiBreeze
                                  <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Maybe it was the axle up grade / size increase you are thinking of due to trailer size?? Frame upgrade not required on a Hawk ( G )
                                    Thanks,
                                    Risa
                                    www.HappyTrailsTrailers.com

Comment

I'm interested in purchasing one asap. Anyone have an Elite? Likes/dislikes? There are not many 2 + 1 trailers available near me in MI and I don't want to wait for one from a factory if I don't have to.
                                      Positive Step Farm

Comment

Phaxton, I have a 4star 2+1 too, and love, love, love it. No dressing room either.

my configuration is a gate in front of the head room in the 2 straight load part...to keep things from the front box from rolling back or to keep a horse from jumping the chest bar to get what was in the front. It swings and I can hook it to the front side wall when I off load on the side ramp.

I have a few paranoid horses about the trailer, and we have been doing lots of practice loading...and they think its a game, walk on the back, walk off the side. I never considered how beneficial it is to have a side ramp.

Another thing, I can take out the dividers and have a single horse in the straight load part. That is super helpful when I trailer my percheron mare who likes a lot of room.

I don't think the front half would be that comfortable for a full size horse however and maybe would go another 2' to create 2big box stalls.
                                        Can't remember the measurements, but believe my trailer is 17' on the floor, that does not include the goose measurement. So, the front box is only 7' long or so, as I recall.

I am also having a metal grill made to slip in and out for the side ramp upper door. That way I can travel and leave it open and if there is a horse in the front box...they can not take a jump out or put their head out the window.
                                        that upper door on the side ramp also makes it very comfortable and a feel of less enclosed for the horses travelling in the back area.

Hope this all makes sense.
                                        save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Working...
                                        X