• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

2+1 Trailer: Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love mine, I wish I used it more often...

It was great for camping, feed and horse supplies in the +1 and tack and sleeping up front. Would aslo be great for showing!

Is great for horses that are uncomfortable with unloading since there are many ways to do it.

Mine is HUGE, so no problem fitting any of my horses.

Full gates between horses and I hang hay bags for feed.

My only complaint is that the outside ties are NOT secure. My horse leaned on one and it popped right off. I have a Kiefer all aluminum.

It is heavy, 5400 lbs and the GVWR is 10,400, which can be a prolem in some states.
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Comment

2+3/4 with no tack room

I have a hawk with 2 straight stalls plus Extra room in the front with the side ramp. It was used and came with a bar that pops in to hold the front pony at an angle. No full door dividers. The gooseneck has a gate that flips down to keep the stuff falling into the horse compartment.

I find it to be the best of both worlds. It's not too long. I pull the horse up front to backup. The tack in right there so I don't get wet. It cool and shady to hang out in front. In a pinch I can bring an extra pony with me

I wouldn't change a thing but would have preferred one in white. And maybe 1 extra foot in the front that would let a small horse in the front my friend puts her huge 17.1h horse up front with just 2 ft more than i have Oh and my hawk is very very heavy so gas mileage is low. I had a custom fab 2h stall that I bought on eBay. It was super to pull but it never worked for me. I had wanted a gn with a dressing room that wasn't too long. It was a mistake. So I lost the dressing room but gained the space I needed.

Comment

OP, I won't help you be realistic, but will help you romance the 2+1 as I do that, too.

Great info on this thread!

I'd want the 2+1 for the amazing "staging" option and room for all the crap and feed/bedding I like to bring with me to shows.

Since you foxhunt (I've done that, too), I think the staging factor would be especially useful for you and kind for your horses. Pre-hunt, you have a safe and convenient place to tack up your fit, amped-up field hunter. Post-hunt, when he's tired, you have a box stall in which he can chill in any position(s) he likes. He's safe inside out of the weather and other horses while you are at the hunt breakfast.

All things being equal, I'd choose a gooseneck over a bumper pull for all the well-known reasons.

I wouldn't object to a heavy, long trailer. But then I'm already willing to drive a 1-ton diesel.

The thing that does stop me is the cost of these mobile living rooms. I can't justify it for what I do. If/when a gently used 4-Star comes my way, that might change and I might find myself borrowing money to buy that trailer a ring. But I purposely don't go to the bars where those hot, hot, hot 2+1 aluminum trailers hang out. I just ogle other peoples' right now. It's kind of creepy.
        The armchair saddler
        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I just picked up my new Kiefer Built 2+1 with a dressing room. I love it! Pulls better then my old bumper pull and I love all of the options for configuration.
          www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

Can you tell me which manufacturers have straight wall dressing rooms versus slant walls? I think Hawk & Exiss only have slant walls and 4-star, Adams, & Merhow are straight. Any more information is greatly apreciated.
            Positive Step Farm

Comment

Originally posted by titan View Post
              Can you tell me which manufacturers have straight wall dressing rooms versus slant walls? I think Hawk & Exiss only have slant walls and 4-star, Adams, & Merhow are straight. Any more information is greatly apreciated.
              My Kiefer is straight

Comment

Kiefer is straight as foggybok said. Mine also came with the door leading from the dressing room to the horse area. Gore is straight as well but the door would have been an extra option.

I ended up choosing the Kiefer because a) I had been very pleased with my 2 horse bumper pull I had. b) I preferred their options c) the price was very competitive and d) I like the warranty

With my Kiefer everything is removable inside if I want one huge box. I can fit a horse (although not a HUGE one) in the front area with the dividing wall in place between the two straight stalls. Or I can remove the straight stalls and push the diving wall back and have two equal size boxes. I am really happy with my trailer so far!
                www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

MY Hawk had straight, my New Balance made by Hawk has a straight and 4-Star can also have a straight wall.
                  "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

my daughter has an Adams 2+1.They let her design what she wanted,including lengthening the +1 part so big horses are comfortable. Adams are very well priced as well.

Comment

I have one of the first 2+1's that were on the market and after 8 years I still LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
                      If I were buying a new one, I'd probably make a few changes (full doors between the box and the stalls--they weren't an option back then, 2 more feet in the DR, etc)
                      It is SO useable and easy to work out of. It still makes me happy

Comment

Which brand makes you so happy???? Thanks.
                        Positive Step Farm

Comment

Originally posted by FairWeather View Post
                          I have one of the first 2+1's that were on the market and after 8 years I still LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

It is SO useable and easy to work out of. It still makes me happy
                          Add me to that group of people who have one, love it, and wouldn't even try to talk you out of one.

I've had mine for about 11 yrs now, and I too LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!
                          Mine is steel, 2+1 GN with DR Sundowner, rear and side/front ramps.

I think it is the ideal, multi-use configuration, even if you have only one horse.
                          It is perfect for teaching young horses to load - I put down both ramps, take out the partition. It is perfect for difficult horses - walk on the back, walk off the front..and it is perfect for someone who often needs to trailer alone.

I had to trailer a lot with my stallion, showing and collecting, - loading/unloading 2xs - and sometime there just wasn't anyone to help me.
                          He loads and trailers perfectly, but I still didn't feel it was all that safe loading and unloading on my own.
                          With this configuration, I take out the partition, so that it is a box stall,and load him from the side ramp, (back doors up) and just walk in to the box.
                          So easy, so stressfree. So SAFE for horse and handler.

If you are in an emergency situation, ie a colic that has to go to the hospital - you might very well be on your own at 3 am...you can be independant, and get things done as fast as they need to be.

They are ideal too for trailering mares and foals, and safer for the handlers to get out of the way at the front.

As others have mentioned, if you are at a show, or hunting - or in any situation where the horse has to stay on the trailer for a while - you can just take down the front ramp, and there is plenty of breeze, and also out of the cold and wind... the horse can relax safely and so can you. I have set up my cooler and my lawn chairs in that area.. out of the sun and the rain.

The front 'box' area is fairly small in my trailer, but for a smaller horse or pony, perfect.

Can you tell I love this configuration? I have a breeding farm, and it has been perfect for me, but even if I had only one horse, this would be my preferred trailer.
                          Yes, it is kind of big - someone called it a living room ...but it pulls easily, and once you get used to it, easy to turn and park.
                          A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Dance_To_Oblivion View Post
                            Kiefer is straight as foggybok said. Mine also came with the door leading from the dressing room to the horse area. Gore is straight as well but the door would have been an extra option.

Yes, this is a nice option!

Comment

Which brand makes you so happy???? Thanks.
                              An acquaintance has a new Dream Coach.

That thing is NICE.

Look at this one.

http://www.dreamcoachtrailer.com/warmbloodtb.htm

I don't need a new trailer but if I did, and had the money - a 2+1 would be awfully awfully tempting.
                              Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                              Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Now that I have discovered the 2+1 concept, I am a convert. Add me to the list of people trolling the used trailer ads!
                                ~Veronica
                                "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

We have a very large Jamco 2+1. It can also be configured as a 3+1, but the horses would have to be pretty small to make it work. We tried it just for fun and our 17H horses were touching both dividers. Needless to say, it makes a very comfy 2+1. The +1 is great for going to clinics and such as we can put all of our stuff there plus a bunch of hay and shavings.

Love it nose to toes.

Comment

Add me to the list of 2+1 fans. Mine is a C&C, with full side and rear ramps plus a dressing room, and I love it... even though I normally only ship one or maybe 2 horses in it at a time. That front section is super as a staging area, or simply to load up all the stuff you want to bring with you for an extended trip -you can easily get the wheelbarrow/trunks/scooter/hay etc for a week or two up there without a problem and it's all easily loaded up that side ramp, keeping the dressing room clean and tidy as well.
                                    Attached Files
                                    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Add me to the "loves my 4 star crowd"

Got mine from LA Trailer sales in NC. They always have one in stock and gave me a good deal on the trade in. They delivered my new one, wrote me a check for the old one and drove it away.

Note: there is a 4 star dealer in Lexington, less than 40 minutes from my house. After having left several email and calls and going down there, he was not interested in helping me.

I was thrilled with LA and their service.

I have a huge draft cross, haul by myself. I L O V E the side ramp and truly, unless you have a really enormous horse (my guy not only fits, but will turn around, even with the "doors" open (and you could always shut them and hang a hay bag from it. ) You'll be fine. Mine has the walk thru to the dressing room, which I love.

Get one.

Comment

Many great comments, thanks. Do any of you find that you really miss the "escape" door on the curb side? Is it a pain to have to drop the ramp to get access to the horses from that side?

Comment

I have a Hawk that I modified quite a bit from the standard floor plan.

You can see the floor plan here: http://gregh.smugmug.com/Animals/Haw...997470&k=tKEDL

My modifications did make it longer than the standard floor plan but I love working out of this trailer. I love that I can walk from the very front of the trailer to the rear of the trailer without going outside (I camp out of my trailer and later added a weekender package for some more creature comforts). The modifications also make the front wall straight - and I moved the doors around so that I could access each horse easily. The +1 horse has a box stall that is nearly 9' long. I tie that horse so he rides backwards facing his buddies in the two straight stalls. I also added a saddle rack post to the box so that I can move the racks from the front to the box and use that as a mid-tack when the box is unoccupied.

I'm very pleased with how the Hawk is holding up. Prior to this trailer, I had a 2-horse straight load Kiefer that was having some fairly significant issues by the time it was 4 years old. The Hawk has passed the 4-year mark and still looks great.

Just keep in mind that you don't have to buy straight off the lot - Hawk was VERY easy to work with when it came to making the changes to the floor plan.

Comment

Working...
                                          X