• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dodge truck death wobble?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge truck death wobble?

I've been looking at trucks for towing a horse trailer and found a very nicely priced 2004 Dodge 2500. Doing research on the truck uncovered a design flaw which causes the front of the truck to suddenly wobble uncontrollably after it hits a bump. Apparently can happen out of the blue. No one seems to know exactly what the problem is.
    Not sure if this is something I'd want to take a chance on while towing!
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I have three of them (well, one is owned by the practice) and have never heard of such a thing, nor have I ever experienced a problem like you described while hauling that was not attributable to mechanical problems like tire wear, poor front end alignment, a bent rim (Dr Mr G hit a curb) or parts wearing out (the hay truck is old and one of the upper ball joints was close to failure) basic normal wear and tear type stuff.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

"Death Wobbles" are very common in lifted vehicles thanks to messing with the balance of the vehicle and not accounting for it in other areas (struts, etc), but I have never heard of it in untampered-with vehicles. And I know LOTS of people with Dodges.

Comment

I have a 2007 Dodge 3/4 ton Ram truck. Never had that happen. And I have gone over lots of bumps!

FWIW, I love my truck.

Comment

Not sure this applies.

Ford trucks' axels are made from a solid hunk o' steel. That means that if they ever get bent in the heat of battle, alignment afterwards will be a problem. Consider it a scar. But no, I don't see why a wound that didn't kill or significantly cripple the truck would make it unsafe to drive afterward. I suppose a big enough bump plus speed, plus a driver who wasn't used to working around a sub-clinical lameness in front, plus the bent axle that magnified all of these problems could be the end of the world on a bad day.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

My Dad recently just got rid of his Dodge for this reason. In addition to the shaking you are talking about the wheel bearings also would wear out VERY quickly. (I'm not sure how often they are supposed to be replaced but he was forever complaining about having to put new ones in.) Of course he took it to the dealer multiple times but they were never able to correct the issue.

He often towed things with it but I know that he was never totally comfortable doing so.

He also found out that there were a lot of other people having the same issue.

Comment

Have one the same year, no issues to report.
              Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Comment

What kind of rims do you have? The type of rims you have can effect the "death wobble" seen in Dodges. I've seen the most issues with aftermarket rims and alloy wheels.

My best suggestion to you would be a solid steel steering stabilizer bar. Most run under or around $200. The theory behind "death wobble" is that the sector shaft in the steering box flexes, and in return it causes the frame to flex. The flexion of the frame is what we call "death wobble".

Any truck or car can get it, most common in 3rd generation Dodges and Fords. It can be caused by numerous things, and there are various ways to go about solving it. Some people feel "death wobble" from side to side, others can feel it from front to back (feels like the trucks is almost hopping, rather than shaking as it would if it's from side to side).

Some people say it's lifted vehicles that develop "death wobble" over stock vehicles. But I've seen more stock vehicles with "death wobble" than lifted ones. 97.8% of my trucks have been lifted at one point in their life and I have never had an issue with death wobble. Right now, my 2006 F-250 (another truck known for gettin' the shakes) is lifted 8" on 37" tires and I've never had an issue. The aftermarket suspension and lift, aftermarket steering stabilizers etc. etc. that I put in are of higher quality than the stock ones that came on the truck, and have definitely helped out.

Death wobble can be curable in some cases, and others it can be a lot harder to diagnose. Depends on how in depth you want to get with it.
                Originally posted by barka.lounger
                bar.ka here
                h/j riders are used to bending over, every.time they pay their.show bills at the office. event.ers not so mu.ch.

Comment

We had this happen on our 05 Dodge. I just asked the hubby what it could be and he said it could be any of the following: tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, bushings in the front sway bar and steering stabilizer bar (if it has one). He said that all of these are fairly easy to fix but the wheel bearings are the most expensive part to fix. He also said that this is something that will happen in almost all dodge 4x4 at some point. He had 2 that this happened in and he was able to get rid of it. We are on truck #3 and it hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Happens to every year make and model once the suspension gets worn out enough. We had a '72 Ford F250 back when we were poor that slung parts more than once and finally completely busted a tie rod, thankfully at a slow speed. Came to a stop with both wheels fully toed in, looked like it was doing a truck "snowplow".

We're a bit tough on vehicles, we've had others that needed suspension work. If you are used to it often you just ignore it, that is until you lend out the car to a friend and they bring it back after going around the block, white knuckled and shaking .

Frequent and thorough maintenance helps this stuff happen less often.
                    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                    Incredible Invisible

Comment

We have a 2004 Dodge and haven't experienced anything like that. We have been driving it for two years.
                      Mystic Owl Sporthorses
                      www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

I had a similar issue with my 1990 GMC. We just replaced the stabilizer bar and were good to go.
                        "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

Comment

Much as I think my 3/4 ton Dodge is a piece of complete crap (but crap that I own outright,) a death wobble isn't something I've experienced. Many other things, but not that...

Comment

very happy with my '04 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel - been hauling with it the whole time. 78,000 miles to date

Comment

i had the wobbels the other day. turned out the 4 wheel drive was still engaged. it was half in and out. scared the hell out of me. but stopped, pushed it back in 2 wheel, put it in reverse and we were set to role.
                              Memebr of Charlie Horse Riding Club.

Comment

i experienced this in a 1995 F350

it was a crew cab with a full size bed. 4x4. fell in love with it on ebay. flew down to TX to buy it. boy did it teach me a lesson.

the mechanic i had back then never figured out what the 'death wobble' was. it was the scariest thing i ever experienced. the wheels would hit one of those junctions that you see on a bridge and the force of the wobble would yank the steering wheel out of my hands. someone mentioned a stabilizer bar and i wonder if that was the problem. it's been years now, so i don't recall what we replaced in an effort to address this.

so as others have mentioned, i don't think it's a ford, dodge or gmc thing, i think it's a worn out or bent suspension component.

we've had several ford trucks over the years and currently have 3 in the family, all different years and models (1970, 1989 and 1997), and we never experienced that problem with any of them besides that single one.
                                http://www.eponashoe.com/
                                TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Comment

We have one. '04 Dodge Ram diesel did the "death wobble". After many trips to dealer service the steering stabilizer was fixed and have not had an issue since. 175,000 miles now and best running truck we have had. Averages over 25mpg hwy right now.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the stories!
                                    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

I got rid of my last truck because of the death wobble. It was a Ram dually. It would wobble so badly that people around me on the highway would get out of the way. And I would have to slow down to about 15 mph (often on the interstate) to get it to stop.

After - gosh, I don't know - five or six mechanics, one said he thought a stabilizer bar was missing. But by that point I had already found another truck, and it seemed odd that the 4+ mechanics before hadn't noticed a critical part missing. So I just made sure that the dealer I was trading with understood that my truck was a death wobbler and that one mechanic thought it was missing a stabilizer bar. And I washed my hands of the whole situation. Blech.
                                      Last edited by MaresNest; Jan. 21, 2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

#1 cause - wheel bearings

#2 cause - ball joints.

In extreme cases, both.

Once fixed, you also need to determine WHY it got this bad.

Front end is gone on this vehicle, walk, no, RUN, away from it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X