• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I found corn in my grain free dog food :( (Taste of the Wild)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found corn in my grain free dog food :( (Taste of the Wild)

Taste of the Wild has become a very popular food. I was very happy with it- it was very palatable, put weight on my old dog who had chronic IBD related issues.

My dog crashed last month, and I finally let him go

I fed the rest of the bag to the rescue puppy I have who has been keeping me preoccupied. At the bottom of the band, I found several pieces of corn kernels.

I double checked the bag. Corn isn't in the ingredient list. Of course it's advertised as a grain-free, novel protein source diet.

I kept the bag, kept some food, and the kernel. I spoke with a nutrition expert here at school, who said "I'm disappointed but not surprised".

Nutrition and labeling among pet foods isn't so strongly regulated. Not too long ago I switched my horses to a cheapish grain (after seeing a barn full on it, who looked wonderful) and to not fall victim to the marketing scheme of the more expensive feeds.... and they still look wonderful.

I'm looking at sending the food out to a lab to get fully analyzed. Has anyone else ever seen something odd with TOTW food? (I switched the puppy back to a cheaper feed).
    Last edited by FatPalomino; Jan. 6, 2011, 01:37 PM.

The corn probably just slipped in at the bagging facility. Even if they did use corn as an ingredient, they wouldn't be adding whole kernels and they certainly wouldn't be doing it at the bagging facility.

I seriously would not take this as an indication that corn is now being used as an ingredient.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Comment

I am very sorry for the loss of your pet.

As for the feed...
      if it was a Purina product the torches would be lit and the cauldron bubblin'...

Comment

• Original Poster

To clarify, there were fragments of corn kernels in the bottom of the bag..... many of them.... who knows. I know after beginning to eat this bag of food, my puppy got similar clinical signs to my old dog.... we did some biopsy's of her and couldn't find anything definitive. Hopefully we can get the ingredients in this batch identified.... if nothing else, for my own interest.

Thanks for the condolence. He was one of those heart dogs, the kind they don't make anymore

Comment

I switched from Taste of the Wild because my dogs just flat out refused to eat a new bag several months ago. I tried several more bags, same thing. I blamed it on Tractor Supply not storing it correctly. But, it makes you wonder....

Comment

Very sorry for the loss of your dog : (

I would be seriously pi$$ed off if I was paying that kind of price for dog food that was supposed to be grain free and found corn in it. Ingredients shouldn't just "slip in" at the bagging facility. What if you were feeding an animal with allergies? What else is just slipping in? I would be making some phone calls.
            Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
            Proud Closet Canterer!

Comment

I am interested to hear the results if you get the food analyzed. I just switched my dogs to TOTW from another "popular brand" and they seem to approve of it, but that could just be the honeymoon phase of new food.

Comment

It's made by Diamond, I've never been a big fan of Diamond.

I tried it once or twice...but wasn't that impressed. Nature's Variety Instinct is my grain free dog food of choice.

Comment

Look at orijen. It's expensive but a 6 star food and worth it imho. The lack of size of the "stools" in the yard is impressive. I have an 85lb dog but yard "evidence" suggests I have a Lhasa Apso.

I just wanted to apologize for only skimming the title and not reading the whole thread. I'm so very sorry about your dog
                  "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

I think I read somewhere that they use corn to clean out the machines between types of food. Could be you got some of that in your bag.
                    Pam's Pony Place

Pam's Pony Ponderings

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Topaz View Post
                      I think I read somewhere that they use corn to clean out the machines between types of food. Could be you got some of that in your bag.
                      Yes, I think that is the most obvious and reasonable explanation.
                      Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

My 6 year old little dog was on Blue Buffalo lately and the last bag she would not hardly eat it, had much gas and stomach cramping after eating.
                        After trying for a little, I bought quickly a bag of Science Diet and she is doing wonderful on it, eating and no more cramping or gas and is feeling young again.
                        I know, that brand is rated very low by the experts, but if the dog does well, I guess that is what matters right now.
                        Both were their regular adult small dog kinds.
                        Will try another kind next.

A few years ago I tried Solid Gold for a little bit and that clearly didn't agree with her at all, with diarrhea and vomiting.

I don't know how consistent companies are about what they use and where from.

That corn in the bag may have been an accident, but they need to be told about it, so they don't keep having accidents.

Sorry about your dog.

Comment

I'm sorry about your pup

Have you tried calling the company to ask them about the corn bits?

Good Luck

LBR
                          I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Comment

this site rates dog foods. TOTW is rated with 5 stars. I am considering trying it b/c my dog has allergies. To the person feeding Science diet- It's mostly corn- CRAP food for dogs. you'd do better to feed your dog table scraps than SD.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Comment

finding corn in the bag would not alam me much. I consider this to be in the same category as finding a raisin in your hazlenut chocolate. That's why they put allergy alerts on people food when the product comes from a plant that processes those other things as well.

However, dogs going off their food for no reason would alarm me.

In a book about Dalmatians the author suggested to only feed quality kibble: Dals are notorious for skin allergies, so if you feed only one kind of food there is less to eliminate.

On the same token they would also keep an old label on file for instances that the dog changes eating habits to compare to the current bag. They probably changed formula.

From what I have heard, I'd rather feed Pedigree before I opened my wallet for science diet...

Comment

TOTW is an excellent line and I have never seen anything weird in the food in the years I have been feeding it. We go through 2 large bags per month. I haven't read of any contamination issues or seen much negative about this line reported anywhere other than dogs who just don't like the flavor.

I've never heard of corn killing a dog???? They can have allergies to it, yes, I have one of those. But I wasn't aware of an allergy to corn that is so severe they just crash and die. I wouldn't blame the food until I had a necropsy done on the animal and found the cause of death to be corn.

They don't just dump whole kernel corn into bags of dog food when it's made with corn, so the whole kernels you found were undoubtedly leftovers in the bagging machine process. Don't think that TOTW is now making their food with corn in it just because you found some whole kernels.

And like Alagirl said, I've found oddities in my own human food from the manufacturing process, and like she said, it's why allergy warnings are printed on non-allergy foods.

So I'm very sorry your dog died but it seems like you're jumping to conclusions without any evidence of why the dog really died.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                  My 6 year old little dog was on Blue Buffalo lately and the last bag she would not hardly eat it, had much gas and stomach cramping after eating.
                                  After trying for a little, I bought quickly a bag of Science Diet and she is doing wonderful on it, eating and no more cramping or gas and is feeling young again.
                                  I know, that brand is rated very low by the experts, but if the dog does well, I guess that is what matters right now.
                                  Both were their regular adult small dog kinds.
                                  Will try another kind next.

A few years ago I tried Solid Gold for a little bit and that clearly didn't agree with her at all, with diarrhea and vomiting.

I don't know how consistent companies are about what they use and where from.

That corn in the bag may have been an accident, but they need to be told about it, so they don't keep having accidents.

Sorry about your dog.
                                  I'm not sure why you felt you had to go from a high end premium food down to the trashiest garbage food known to man? You could have tried another premium food - there are about 100 to pick from.

Isn't that like saying "I'm allergic to shrimp and lobster so I'm going to eat McDonalds fries the rest of my life."

And be aware that once dogs have been fed junk corn food their whole life and then are switched onto a high protein meat based food, most all of them WILL have gas, bloating, vomitting, diarehea, etc. If you lived on candy bars and cake and suddenly started eating 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, I guarantee you'd have a gutt ache too Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. When I adopted a vegetarian lifestyle I had to be careful because I was not accustomed to that much fiber.

When I switched my dogs to a high protein premium food, I had to do it SLOWLY. Very slowly. And we have a horrible time with the stray who had been living on the street eating out of garbage cans. He had diarehea and gas for months when he came here. I actually had to buy him a bag of junk corn food and mix it with the high protein premium because his system could not handle that much protein. He just wasn't accustomed to it. He's now fine, but it was a long acclimation process.

I learned a hard lesson the nasty way when I thought I was being smart and buying raw bones as a treat for my mutts. All 3 of them got a nice raw bone with a little meat left on it. That night we came home to dog crap ALL OVER our house. Literally. It was summer and they had even clawed a hole in the screen in the bedroom window trying to get out. NOW they can eat whatever meaty raw stuff they want and have no problem but it didn't start out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
                                    TOTW is an excellent line and I have never seen anything weird in the food in the years I have been feeding it. We go through 2 large bags per month. I haven't read of any contamination issues or seen much negative about this line reported anywhere other than dogs who just don't like the flavor.

I've never heard of corn killing a dog???? They can have allergies to it, yes, I have one of those. But I wasn't aware of an allergy to corn that is so severe they just crash and die. I wouldn't blame the food until I had a necropsy done on the animal and found the cause of death to be corn.

They don't just dump whole kernel corn into bags of dog food when it's made with corn, so the whole kernels you found were undoubtedly leftovers in the bagging machine process. Don't think that TOTW is now making their food with corn in it just because you found some whole kernels.

And like Alagirl said, I've found oddities in my own human food from the manufacturing process, and like she said, it's why allergy warnings are printed on non-allergy foods.

So I'm very sorry your dog died but it seems like you're jumping to conclusions without any evidence of why the dog really died.
                                    Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
                                    I'm not sure why you felt you had to go from a high end premium food down to the trashiest garbage food known to man? You could have tried another premium food - there are about 100 to pick from.

Isn't that like saying "I'm allergic to shrimp and lobster so I'm going to eat McDonalds fries the rest of my life."

And be aware that once dogs have been fed junk corn food their whole life and then are switched onto a high protein meat based food, most all of them WILL have gas, bloating, vomitting, diarehea, etc. If you lived on candy bars and cake and suddenly started eating 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, I guarantee you'd have a gutt ache too Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. When I adopted a vegetarian lifestyle I had to be careful because I was not accustomed to that much fiber.

When I switched my dogs to a high protein premium food, I had to do it SLOWLY. Very slowly. And we have a horrible time with the stray who had been living on the street eating out of garbage cans. He had diarehea and gas for months when he came here. I actually had to buy him a bag of junk corn food and mix it with the high protein premium because his system could not handle that much protein. He just wasn't accustomed to it. He's now fine, but it was a long acclimation process.

I learned a hard lesson the nasty way when I thought I was being smart and buying raw bones as a treat for my mutts. All 3 of them got a nice raw bone with a little meat left on it. That night we came home to dog crap ALL OVER our house. Literally. It was summer and they had even clawed a hole in the screen in the bedroom window trying to get out. NOW they can eat whatever meaty raw stuff they want and have no problem but it didn't start out that way.

You missed the dogs not eating it anymore or doing poorly on it. No reason to continue feeding it when there is an albait cheaper (not SD though) alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                      You missed the dogs not eating it anymore or doing poorly on it. No reason to continue feeding it when there is an albait cheaper (not SD though) alternative.
                                      I did not miss it, that was my point. If the dog isn't doing well on it, then switch, but don't switch to garbage food. Find another good food.

Comment

The last dog I 'fostered' ate ToTW and Diamond naturals mixed with some yogurt. I am surprised to hear that you found corn in it. This particular dog couldn't keep most other foods down, including canidae, California Naturals, and Evo, I am not sure why. I never had a problem, but I would be concerned too, if it were me finding it and it's obviously not part of the ingredient list! I hope it was a sincere and unusual mistake.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.

Comment

Working...
                                        X