• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Smartpak dog food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartpak dog food

From what I can tell this seems like a great bargain and I'm considering switching my dog over.

He's a Lab who eats like a vaccuum cleaner though. Can anyone tell me the kibble size on this? Specifically the LiveSmart Chicken and Brown Rice Weight Management formula. If it isn't a larger kibble, he won't chew it. And we know where that leads.

Thanks!

In my opinion, there are much better dog foods out there for the same price as the Smartpak food. They use beet pulp as a cheap filler, which is great for a horse whose gutt is designed to be filled with bulk forage, but for a dog who is a carnivore? Eh, not so much. Cheap filler. They also use undisclosed "flavors" and cheap grains such as oats and barley. Dogs are not horses. They are not designed to eat grains and forage filler type products. They are carnivores.

I love Smartpak and buy just about everything from them but I think their dog food line is a huge thumbs down.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com Pick a 5 or 6 star category food and go with that.

Of course the Smartpak food is a step up from junk like Pedigree and Iams, but is not worth the price they charge for it.

Taste of the Wild, Fromm, Innova, Blue Buffalo, Wellness..........there are plenty of foods out there that are significantly better than the LiveSmart line.

Edited to Add: I just looked at the specific formula you are interested in. In addition to the other cheap fillers, they include alfalfa meal and powdered cellulose. Neither of those are appropriate carnivorous foods. I would not feed that food to any of my dogs, if I had a choice in the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by evans36 View Post
      He's a Lab who eats like a vaccuum cleaner though. Thanks!
      We have one dog who inhales food without chewing and then vomits, gets horrendous gas, and is uncomfortable. For him we made our own "no bloat" bowl by placing a smaller bowl inside of a larger bowl. The smaller inner bowl is placed upside down (with the dome side up). When you pour in the food, it slides down between the two bowls and he has to lick it out with his tongue. It slowed him down so much that we had to train the other dogs to leave him alone so he could finish eating. It eliminated all the problems we had with him, and didn't cost a dime.

Comment

I haven't tried the SmartPak dog food, and I likely won't... I am not impressed with what I have read about it, though they don't seem too bad compared to most dog food.

I feed my dog Canidae All Life Stages (a 5-star rated feed on that web site the AP posted). It's around the same price as the SmartPak feed and MUCH better food. Check out those reviews and information on that web site. You'll be sure to find a better food, at a price you can afford.

FWIW, the kibble size of the Canidae is small. It's for all life stages (including puppy), so the kibble is sized accordingly.

ETA -- The SmartPak food is better than Purina and just about anything you'll get at a chain pet store... I just think there are better products out there. They certainly aren't "bad" foods.
        Last edited by Phaxxton; Jan. 4, 2011, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
          We have one dog who inhales food without chewing and then vomits, gets horrendous gas, and is uncomfortable. For him we made our own "no bloat" bowl by placing a smaller bowl inside of a larger bowl. The smaller inner bowl is placed upside down (with the dome side up). When you pour in the food, it slides down between the two bowls and he has to lick it out with his tongue. It slowed him down so much that we had to train the other dogs to leave him alone so he could finish eating. It eliminated all the problems we had with him, and didn't cost a dime.
          Brilliant. I got one of those bowls with the pole things in the middle and it helped a little - until he just took his paw and knocked the thing over. We tried putting in rocks and he tried to eat them. I will be trying this and hopefully he'll get a few weeks in before he figures out how to knock this over too!

As far as the smartpak food - thanks for the input. I had seen the good reviews on the SP website and then nosed around a tiny bit and saw other good reviews on the internet - hadn't seen anything negative until now. Figures that it wouldn't be as good of a deal as the Wellness since it's cheaper.

A2 - what do you feed your dogs? Is kibble size an issue at all with your bloater? After trying a smaller-sized kibble food and seeing what happens, I'm really reluctant to go that route again, even with a magic bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by evans36 View Post
            A2 - what do you feed your dogs? Is kibble size an issue at all with your bloater? After trying a smaller-sized kibble food and seeing what happens, I'm really reluctant to go that route again, even with a magic bowl.
            Mine eat primarily Taste of the Wild - all flavor varieties except the new "Lamb" one, and the Fromm Four Star line - any of those flavors. We mix and switch things up every couple of bags so they don't get bored. And they eat Fromm cans - 1 can split between the 3 of them each night just for something yummy and exciting to look forward to.

All of the higher end foods have a very small kibble size. This is one difference between poor, low end foods, and high end premium foods. It seems like the more premium the food, the smaller the bite size is. I suspect it is cheaper and easier to manufacture large chunks of food rather than the tinier ones.

So of all the 4-6 star premium foods I've fed (In addition to the ones listed, I have also tried Wellness but they didn't like it, Chicken Soup, Innova, and several varieties of Nutro), the kibbles have all been roughly the same size - very small.

Comment

Funny, these are the very first negative comments I've ever seen regarding the Smartpak dog food.

Here's a pretty positive unbiased review:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...mart-dog-food/

Also, the Whole Dog Journal approves the Smartpak food, so is that a load of crap? Are they not reputable?
              I'm sure there are better choices, but there are ALOT worse choices as well. My lab loves the Livesmart food, and he's been raised on the puppy formula, and now is on the adult formula. I certainly have no reason to switch and am very pleased with the product. I don't do the individual servings, but purchase the 30lbs bags.
              The kibble size is pretty darn small, about dime size.
              Cindy

Comment

I don't think they are terrible. I just think there are better foods for about the same price. I also don't care for beet pulp in dog food. Just a personal preference. They are certainly better than anything you can buy in Petco.

I also find it odd that SmartPak advertises them on their web site as "high protein" diets for dogs when all of the ones I have seen are lower protein as far as dogs are concerned (about 24%). That's not necessarily a bad thing. My doberman is intentionally on a below-average protein diet compared to most commercial feeds.

Comment

evans36 - have you thought about taking a cupcake pan and superglueing (or bolting) the pan to a piece of plywood? The way, your dog has to stand on the holder to get to the food, so he can't tip it over, and lick the food out of the cups.

StG

Comment

I do get my dog food from SmartPak since I just get it shipped with my horse's supplements. I get the Wellness food though, I didn't want beet pulp, and it's fabulous stuff.
                    Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                    We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I agree that you can get a better food for the same price. Several others posted great suggestions, Blue Buffalo, Innova, Taste of the wild, etc. I dont think that the smartpak food is bad, but there are better foods.

I love smartpak for everything else.

ETA: I feed my guy the Innova and they have a 'small bites' option. He has a slow down bowl too. Its similar to this:

http://www.smartpakcanine.com/Produc...5&cm_vc=Search

but I got a cheap one at Petsmart for under $10

Comment

Between the Dog Food Analysis site and the Whole Dog Journal, I'd take their advice over the posters here. I switched my dogs to the Livesmart brands and they are doing amazingly well! They have no more digestive upsets and their coats are gorgeous.

I think Smartpak has very good dog food, esp. for the price.
                        \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Comment

Blue Buffalo! Great food. My dogs are at a perfect weight, healthy shiny coats. I don't make eye contact when people comment, 'wow, their coats are so shiny and clean." They just came from the barn, so not clean...but very shiney thanks to the food! heehee!
                          "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
                          "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
                          Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Comment

IMHO Taste of the Wild is one of the best for the price. I love Orijen/Acana but they are to pricey for our SIX dogs. I also used Innova for a bit but we have a dog with a poultry allergy and another that could not adjust to the beef formula (too rich) and we got tired of buying two types of food. It was also confusing for our pet sitter, and if she made a mistake, the results were messy.

These days we stick with TOTW Salmon formula. Everyone tolerates it well. It is also grain free which makes the -um- output more compact so yard clean up is easier.

For a food bolter, try serving it floating in water. Not just moist - float the whole meal in water. Our little piggy dog destroyed her anti-bloat bowls. Now we just feed her 1/2 cup at a time, in a cup of water OR her meal comes in one of several treat dispensing contraptions so she has to work for it.

http://http://www.animalbehaviorasso...-tug-a-jug.htm The Tug-A-Jug worked well till she chewed the rope off.

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Genius-Ex.../dp/B003JVDV6W Current method of food intake slow down - but it only holds about a 1/2 cup and I need a funnel to load it.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=10572 Squirrel Dude was one of the best and had a long life. We just have not replaced him.

Edited to add - SmartPak dog food is not a "bad" food per se. It is just overpriced for what you are getting. It won't hurt your dog but it's sort of like paying for organic ground sirloin when your really getting ground chuck.
                            Last edited by JWB; Jan. 5, 2011, 09:18 AM.
                            The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

Originally posted by Mary in Area 1 View Post
                              Between the Dog Food Analysis site and the Whole Dog Journal, I'd take their advice over the posters here. I switched my dogs to the Livesmart brands and they are doing amazingly well! They have no more digestive upsets and their coats are gorgeous.

I think Smartpak has very good dog food, esp. for the price.
                              Well bless your heart.

But as far as I can see, Dog Food Analysis does not have the SmartPak food on their site. If you've found it, please provide a link, because I cannot find it. And I know for a fact that the reviewers there do NOT appove of unidentified "flavorings" (which could be anything), powdered cellulose, and beet pulp in dog food. Those items usually land the food down in the 1-3 category somewhere.

I don't know what Whole Dog Journal is, but if they recommend a food which is slim on meat products and heavy on cheap fillers, I can't say I'd be terribly interested in their reviews anyway.

Yes, the Smartpak food would be better than the truly trash foods like Pedigree, Iams, Diamond, Science Diet, Alpo, etc. but for the $$$$, there are much better choices out there. You can buy top end, high premium foods for the same cost or only a tiny bit more.

Another thing is that SmartPak does not declare that their fish sources are ethoxyquin free, which isn't a HUGE deal because TOTW doesn't either. But some of the premium foods in that same price range do use only e-free fish sources.

And I also have a bit of a problem with them advertising their food as "high protein" when it's not. Protein levels in the 20s is not high. For example some of the Innova varieties are in the 40s, TOTW in the 30s, Orijen 40, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Phaxxton View Post
                                They are certainly better than anything you can buy in Petco.
                                Not necessarily. I was just at Petco the other day and they carry several of the top end premium brands. (Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Before Grain, Canidae, etc.) I was really surprised to actually see that their aisle of Pedigree, Bil-Jac, and Iams had shrunk considerably. There were 3 aisles full of premium brands, and 1 aisle with junk food.

Now Petsmart is a different story ENTIRELY. Their dog food stock is 90% crap and they only carry a couple varieties of Wellness and I think that's it.

I hadn't been in a Petco in years but got a gift card for Xmas. I was pleasantly surprised!

Comment

evans36- I used to soak my bolters food. You have to do it before every feeding, normal portion, pour over hot water, let soak and cool, just like beet pulp!! Even if they get it down quick, good luck with that, it's not hard kibble, sort of pre digested like soft food.

LBR
                                  I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Comment

Check to make sure there isn't citric acid in your dog's food if you're going to get it wet. It increases chances of bloat.
                                    Pam's Pony Place

Pam's Pony Ponderings

Comment

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
                                      Not necessarily. I was just at Petco the other day and they carry several of the top end premium brands. (Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Before Grain, Canidae, etc.) I was really surprised to actually see that their aisle of Pedigree, Bil-Jac, and Iams had shrunk considerably. There were 3 aisles full of premium brands, and 1 aisle with junk food.

Now Petsmart is a different story ENTIRELY. Their dog food stock is 90% crap and they only carry a couple varieties of Wellness and I think that's it.

I hadn't been in a Petco in years but got a gift card for Xmas. I was pleasantly surprised!
                                      Hmm, interesting! I guess all of the stores are different. I feed Canidae and I have never found it in any of the Petco stores near either of our homes... And I was in Petco yesterday. Most of what the stores near me carry is crap. I'm glad they aren't all that way.

Comment

Also, if you are soaking / wetting your dog's food to prevent bloat, make sure you are brushing their teeth regularly.

Comment

Working...
                                        X