• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can I make due with 4 acres?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I make due with 4 acres?

I said I had stopped looking for farms. I lied. I found a place that is IDEALLY located. However, there are only 4 acres of pasture. I would need to turn some of that into an outdoor ring as well. I plan on a sacrifice paddock off the barn and feeding hay. I just don't want to look at a cesspool all summer long.

Mainly for two-three horses.

Should I wait for more land? I'm ok on the house (it is the opposite of charming--built in the late 70's--basically a rectangle). It has some pros (totally updated, new roof, windows, furnace, walkout, custom cabinets, etc.) and it has some cons (built wayyy too close to the road, but it is a quiet road, smaller than my current house, small bedrooms).

There is an existing (ugly) 30 x 56 foot shed with no overhang and no natural light. It is set up very oddly (two super long super narrow stalls and then a 30x30 storage area). But it is in good shape.

It isn't my dream property, but it is very affordable (even with putting in flooring, fencing, etc.). I can ride a bike to work--it is just outside of town (but not in the direction they will/are developing). Or I can wait...
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Sure you can.

We have 5 acres, 4 horses for now and we'll have more. With proper management, it can work just fine!

Just be prepared to provide hay year-round.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales
    Facebook | YouTube

Comment

If it wasn't so close to work, would you still want it?

Sounds like the answer is no. I would wait. Prices will continue to drop, more inventory will be coming on to the market in the next couple of months. The perfect place will pop up.

Good luck

LBR
      I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Comment

You don't like the house, you don't like the barn, you don't like the size of the property... remind me, why are you considering this place again??
        --
        Wendy
        ... and Patrick

Comment

The answer to the actual question asked is yes, you can do fine with small acreage. Plan to have a dry lot that is used frequently; turnout on grass pastures will be a treat (with frequency of treating depending on how many horses, weather, ground conditions, etc.). You will spend more on hay. But it is imminently doable, if not the ideal of acres of lush pasture that most of us have in our minds.

But I have to echo other posters who question why you are considering this property that seems to have little to recommend it to you. What DO you like about the property? What DON'T you like? Longer list wins.
          Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
          -Albert Camus

Comment

I would agree, you CAN make do with the acerage but if you can afford to hold out until you find something you're more happy (house/facility/land wise) with and do not have to invest a lot of time giving it a facelift, why rush?
            Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
            RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
            RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
            RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Comment

Don't settle for 4 acres for 2-3 horses when the rest of the property isn't tripping your trigger.

Keep looking

Comment

• Original Poster

Good thoughts!

I just REALLY like the location...and the price! Would save a fortune on commuting (cuts out 30 miles a day between hubby and I).

But I do sound like I'm settling too much don't I?

I feel this pressure because I believe interest rates are going to keep climbing. But I've waited years, so what is a bit more.

Comment

Here's your answer

"make-do"
                  "settling"
                  land and ammenities not up to par for your likes or needs

You really oughtn't purchase a place because its close to work and priced well; that's more of a reason to rent.

When the right place comes around, and it will, you'll know it. And meanwhile, don't lie to COTH! We can hear you slowing down in front of "for sale by owner" signs, how the gravel crunches under the tires when you come to a stop, how the car door slams so you can walk up to the sign and write down the number. Heck, we can see your beady eyes shifting right and left, left and right, as you tool down the state highway - how they lock on the roof of a barn from a distance, we know you choose to go the rural route rather than by the turnpike so you can scout out places!

Because that's what we would do too!
                  Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Just remember, what you're saving in commuting, you'll be spending in hay!
                    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
                    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
                    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
                    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Comment

• Original Poster

Sssshhh

Originally posted by AnotherRound View Post
                      And meanwhile, don't lie to COTH! We can hear you slowing down in front of "for sale by owner" signs, how the gravel crunches under the tires when you come to a stop, how the car door slams so you can walk up to the sign and write down the number. Heck, we can see your beady eyes shifting right and left, left and right, as you tool down the state highway - how they lock on the roof of a barn from a distance, we know you choose to go the rural route rather than by the turnpike so you can scout out places!

Because that's what we would do too!
                      LOL! [[clapping]]

Comment

I lived in NE Indiana for 5 years and had three horses on an eight acre field. They had nearly 24/7 access to it (only kept in for the worst winter crud, and then only overnight) and they wrecked most of that ground quite efficiently each winter. Fortunately, it was big enough that plenty of grass came back each spring/summer (they didn't eat anything but pasture for June-October). There's no way I would have gone with less than four acres... the clay in that area doesn't drain well and so the ground is particularly susceptible to the damage of hooves. It also holds a ton of water for a looong time... if you don't want standing swampland, you either have to be really lucky and have great natural contours to the land (which we did) or do a lot of preventive excavating. And of course the clay means DEEP footprints once the ground is soggy, so forget about riding on an outdoor unless you have it engineered with a really excellent (and expensive!) base for good drainage.

I had a 50x100' paddock attached to the barn (with a contiguous run out to the field). The first winter, because my ex was concerned about cost, we left it in grass. It wasn't long before it was a complete mud pit (even with the horses just passing through and hanging out there a bit). The next summer, we had it excavated and topped with crusher run and fine gravel.

Since you don't really like a lot else about the property, I'd say hold out for something with a lot more room, especially if the land is flat.
                        Patience pays.

Comment

You did not say how many horses you have.
                          If you have 2 it is not a bad set up.
                          And remember paint covers a multitude of sins..
                          You willl need to cross fence and section off the acres to rotate the pastures. How is the drainage? Is the land prone to flooding?
                          An arena can be made to use comfortably. While 60 X 100 would be good I have used smaller.
                          Sit down and write the pro, and cons of it and discuss it with your signifigant other.
                          Don't settle for something that does not fill your needs.
                          Larger land means higher property taxes.
                          If everything is good but the barn, then it can be replaced. But if the house is in need of major repairs, think twice.
                          JMHO
                          sadlmakr

Comment

Unless you build your own place, nothing will ever be perfect. Don't dismiss the commute issue. It's HUGE. When you have your own place, it's upkeep will suck your time dry. Removing a lengthy commute from the picture for both you and your DH is nothing to sneeze at.

That being said, and in response to your question, I would want about 10 acres for 3 horses, particularly if you live in an area with a less than ideal climate. 4 acres for 3 horses will mean no grass...
                            Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

Originally posted by EquineImagined View Post
                              Just remember, what you're saving in commuting, you'll be spending in hay!
                              That may well be....But to truly sustain horses on pasture your talking 5 acres per horse.
                              I have 30 acres and we need round bales all winter and not every spring/summer gives you lovely ideal grass growing weather.

I'm not so much a downer on the place without seeing it and the perimeter lay-out.

Plan the location of your ring and its size (bigger isn't always better) carefully, we use ours as a T/O in bad weather while we muck to give horses a leg stretch and a buck. They haven't ruined the footing and yes I do have to pick it up afterwards.
                              One of my small sacraficial T/Os has a stone dust base and I use it as a free school/ round pen even though its square. I pick it up and we drag it to keep it level. Plus since its in no climb wire and has a solid lower gate panel we can park the dogs in there if we need them out of the way for short periods.

Fence the whole permiter or the whole front and gate driveway. You can always plant Butterfly bushes or Cypress across front for noise block and privacey.

Re configuring the stalls while you put in flooring is do able. Maybe small runs off stalls while your doing it so they have 24/7 acess.
                              Nows you chance to get those GFI outlets for water buckets by each stall and the lighting you like best!! A new tackroom with heated floor..so practical and effective for winter work, lots of built in open deep shelves for blankets.

Using you pasture space wisely and keeping it picked up and carefully mowed can be very rewarding. In dry weather I have sectioned off and put a sprinkler up so we could move horses to fresh grass and keep it viable..(have a good deep well)
                              Try doing good soild perimeter fencing w/ one strand of Solar electric along top and then doing moveable electric interior fencing so you can save or open up pasture as weather needs require.

The money you save on gas n commute time as well as buy price could get you some home renovations or possibly that 1 dreamroom you live in the most. Making buying the less than ideal home more accepting. Of course splurging on some window treatments fresh paint and bedroom linens will help make more welcoming to you personally.

They are predicting home prices to keep falling and interest to rise??? so who knows....thre is always a silver lining sometimes you have to dig for it.

Bigger property means bigger farm equipment, more fuel and time spent mowing, less time to enjoy your ponies.

Our next place will be about 5 acres max and room for 2 horses......

Comment

I'd almost rather rent and board than own a horse place with too little land.

Even after you change the barn, accept the house and enjoy your bank statement and commute....

You will spend every day looking at dry lot or mud.

You will also spend a fortune (both time and money) on manure removal and reseeding. That will never go away, so you'll know what you'll be doing after you get home from work "early."
                                The armchair saddler
                                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I will be the odd person out. I have a small ranch house (that I never thought that I would live in), and although we own 5 acres, only 2 are usable (the rest is swamp). We live really close to work and town, which is awesome. I have only one horse here. I could do one or two more. Sometimes, compromising for a shorter commute is worth it. I feed hay. Horse is out 24/7 with access to his barn. Footing is always good, because we hired a contractor with that goal in mind.

Comment

I currently have 40 acres with a highway through the middle, two homes (both older mobiles but very livable) and 22 head of horses plus two that my renter has. NO grass in the fields so feed hay year round....the lack of grass is due to the area (desert) and lack of irrigation rights (costs about $5K per acre to purchase and then you have to have irrigation system/equipment AND pay yearly fee...cheaper to feed hay) but the horses do have lots of room for running/playing. Will be building paddocks this spring (each about 65x100 feet) with one to two horses per paddock....and planting some of the desert areas with dryland pasture mixes that don't need irrigation...will provide SOME grasses for occasional grazing.

My old cutting trainer had 8 acres in central Ore, one 5 acre pasture (irrigated) on which cattle were grazed part time as were horses on occasion. Between his own horses, his landlady's horses in training with him, client horses in training/prep for sales and a few breeding horses he had 40+ head...biggest problem was getting rid of bedding/manure. Had good sized indoor/outdoor arena, large round pen (100 ft diameter), double wide mobile home, hay storage barn, mare motel with pens, 10 or 12 stall barn with tack room/washroom, hot walker. It was very organized!!
                                    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                                    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                                    Northern NV

Comment

My farmette is 5ac total with probably 2 of those for house & lawns.

2 horses do very well on the remaining 3ac that contains the barn w/attached 60X120 indoor & 2 pastures.
                                      Both pastures are accessible through the sacrifice area that surrounds the barn.
                                      Horses are out 24/7 with free access to stalls.

My pastures are not lush, but grow enough grass that I usually have to mow at least twice during the growing season to keep the weeds down & the roughs cut back.

I do feed hay year-round, but considerably less hay in the Summer.
                                      250 50-55# square bales was a year's supply for my 2 horses. Should go farther now that I have one horse & 1 pony.

My house is a characterless raised brick ranch but the interior had possibilities when I looked at it (including an open floorplan for kitchen/LR).
                                      I joined 2 small BR to create a Master Suite. One ofthese BR had a powder room bath - toilet & sink - that I expanded to include a large shower stall by doing away with a small closet.
                                      It is now quite a comfortable place for me.
                                      & I am 10 minutes from work.

If you can make your life easier by doing away with a commute then I'd take a good, hard 2nd look at this place.
                                      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I think that amount would be fine for 2-3 horses if planned correctly. And there is a LOT to be said for a good commute.

Personally I would set it up so that you would have a lovely all-weather area with perfect drainage attached to the barn, that was big enough to ride in -- 100 by 200ish. Then keep it perfectly picked and maintained. Then open the rest into rotatable pastures. Spend good money on the "sacrifice paddock/ring" area to get it really nice -- total crushed stone or sand, with hay feeding confined to one area, preferably covered, so they don't trash the footing with hay pieces. You can shut the other ponies in their stalls and ride any time, which is super-nice. IF you keep hay raked out of the sand, it stays really nice and perfect for a personal use place.

I have a separate small "ring" that was preexisting on my small farm, but if I were building from scratch and watching pennies, that is how I would do it to maximize value and get a 2 for 1 on space. I follow a similar practice near my barn to control mud and it works great to keep the footing good all winter. I'm in northern Indiana so have some of the same weather challenges you would have.

I am a fixer -- I don't mind taking on places that need some work to be what I need, but LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. If the price leaves you some funds to make it what you want and you are handy/like fixing it up, then I would give it some thought. I love a good project.

I got lucky with my current house and love it but my previous one was a box in the city with no charm. Good landscaping and some new paint/redecorating made it totally adorable and we sold it during the worst of the housing crash in a single day. We bought it during the height of the bubble when everything else was selling in one open house with bidding wars, and it had been on the market for months -- it was that charmless before. You can do a lot with boxes! HGTV could be your new best friend!

Comment

Working...
                                        X