• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hay Racks/Mangers in stalls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hay Racks/Mangers in stalls?

How many of you use hay racks/mangers in your stalls? Do you like/dislike them? Do you notice that the horses waste less hay, since they can't kick it around? Any issues since they aren't eating off the floor?

I am referring to these types:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/hay-rack/p/X1-4799/c2p/cs/
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...7&cm_vc=Search
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I don't currently use them, but have in the past. I liked them. Seemed to be less waste.

Comment

We have the steel racks that are wall-mounted, with doors made to feed from the aisleway. REALLY does help with the wastage, they still tend to pull out big wads and then do the sorting on the floor, but usually not the WHOLE bunch of hay at once. Since they are still feeding from a natural position (ie, head down) I see no health issues - and not having the hay confined in a bunk or tub lets them keep from being immersed in whatever dust may be there. Our stalls are all rubber matted, it's easy to sweep the feeding corner and keep dirt to a minimum. Ours are mounted in the opposite corner from the automatic waterers - they still get some hay in the waterers, but it's not a big deal.

Downsides - we have some BIG horses, and they like to scratch their butts and shoulders on the just-right not-sharp corners of the racks - a few have been mangled, and a couple broken. Hubby welded the broken ones easily, and they can be bent back to some semblance of normal shape with a bit of effort. Also, you need to attach them ruggedly, with either bolts or heavy lag screws, for those same reasons.
      A couple of the kids who are always STARRRRRVING!!! and impatient learned to shove the entire load of hay UP and out of the rack. I learned to tie a net of hay twine up from the rack to the top of the stall wall, to disallow this behavior
      Homesick Angels Farm
      breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
      standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
      www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Comment

I feed off the ground in the stall. I don't like hay racks. I would rather waste some hay and not have something that could cause an injury. I have used a hay bag for one horse, but it wasn't long before the tabs on the bag ripped.

Comment

I have them in two of our five horses stalls. One for a messy/hay waster and the other for a horse that due to an injury is often in. I don't think they really slow down consumption, but they do help cut down the mess for horses that like to mix their hay into their bedding rather than eating it. They are mounted with the bottom about four feet over the floor. I'm not sure what the injury risk would be -- unless you have youngsters that do a lot of rearing up in their stalls. I occasionally use hay nets for the other guys if everyone is in for bad weather -- I think they're riskier. I wouldn't recommend using the metal racks if your hay is dusty or has lots of small particles in it though. I find I only use them in the winter when the horses get more hay.
          "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
          <>< I.I.

Comment

I feed my hay in tubs on the ground. I have a paint that is uber-sensitive of dust/bugs/etc. Starts her ears watering, and then they get pussy and gross. Feeding in the tubs seems to contain some of the mess.

Comment

I have never been a fan. To me, they are an accident waiting to happen.
              FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

Comment

I'm not a fan either, although our new barn came equipped with them in almost every stall. If anyone in the Frenchtown, NJ, area wants about 8 of the black metal kind, let me know!
                Kendra -- Runningwater Warmbloods
                Home of EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) and Donatella M (Furstenball/ Jazz Time)
                'Like' us on Facebook

Comment

I have them in most of my stalls. I use them 75% of the time. I do not leave halters on in stalls, I have never had an accident though I can see the concern.
                  Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

I know of a few accidents that happened from horses rolling and getting a leg stuck in them.

Comment

Tried 'em. Horses trashed 'em.
                      Looking for horse activity in the Twin Tiers? Follow my blog at http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

We've been using the corner ground feeders I built myself for 30+ years. I make them using 4.5 feet long rough oak boards and stacked 28 inches high. I have never had a problem and when bedding on sawdust it keeps the hay contained better. The racks are nailed to the two walls with just two nails and if a horse did get a leg hung inside, he could easily pull the rack off the wall.
                        www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                        Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Have one, have not installed it.

I just place hay on ground. But use old water troughs rubber tubs in the pasture to feed hay so it doesn't get scattered (can't find round bales right now), and am thinking might use this idea in the stalls using the smaller type water troughs. Hmmm food for thought.

Comment

I bought mine from SmartPak but not the corner style, the style that is flat against the wall. Really reduces hay waste and if I want to feed extra I can put 3 flakes in the feeder and a couple underneath.

The key, IMO, is to have them high enough to be out of the way of legs if a horse rolls but not so high the horse is on tippy toes with his neck outstretched trying to nibble.

Comment

Long ago (5+ years) my friend and I fed another boarder's horse M-F and in return he made us wooden hay feeders. We were so excited!

And a few years later we were equally excited to get rid of them.

Of course I doubt anyone is considering a WOODEN feeder and some of the problems (chewing, for example) were entirely because the feeders were wooden.

But it also was difficult for us to lift the hay up and over, and any mess that it saved in the stall was counteracted by the mess we made in the aisle (stalls are pipe panel so we were standing outside the stall hoisting the hay up and in). And our horses were able to make percussion instruments out of them... "It's time for dinner... BANG! hurry up with the hay... BANG!" Once I had read a number of articles indicating that ground feeding was more natural and healthier, I was happy to say buh-bye.
                              Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
                              Starman

Comment

I use muck buckets as hay mangers - hung in a corner at the same height as their feeders. They hold several flakes of hay - my old wall feeders did not hold enough. They're cheap and even when stupid filly climbs into one, she does not get hurt. I have had the metal racks mounted to the walls, and they still lets lots of stuff fall on the floor. Much less waste with this method. And I think I've been using them for 6 or 7 years and no one has ruined one of them yet.

I will never have the metal hay racks attached to the wall again - I had a horse get a badly scratched cornea from having hay fall in his face while eating out of a wall-mounted hay rack.
                                Last edited by cyndi; Dec. 29, 2010, 12:13 PM.
                                Donerail Farm
                                www.donerailfarm.com
                                http://donerailfarm.wordpress.com/

Comment

We have the hay mangers with bars above and a pan below, but our horses didn't like them and I think their eyes can get irritated from the hay and dust above their faces.

They also make great scratching posts.

We went back to feeding off the ground on rubber mats and really don't have any more waste than we did with mangers.

We still have them, in storage, for the rare horse that may have problems eating from the ground and needs to have it's feed elevated, as may happen from a sore neck from a wreck or a reaction to a shot.

Since we feed alfalfa hay, we are not talking large amounts of hay and they clean it very well quickly.

The idea of the big manure buckets is interesting, but feeding all as a group, the wander from flake to flake easier without anything in the way.

Comment

I use a ground manger for Mr. I Can't Eat Hay I Have Stepped On. It's a really high tech device: a 30"x60" framed out 3/4" plywood board snapped to a corner of the stall w/screw eyes (stained and spar urathaned because that is how I roll). Hay goes behind it. Horse eats hay out of manger and unless he's in a speshul mood, doesn't drag it out of the bin. That's a lot less hay and wasted shaving for me, thank you very much. It cost me about $25 to make and it's been in maybe 7 stalls over the years?

Mr. Easy Keeper Chowhound has a corner box slow feeder. That IS a high tech device and it's a damn good thing I can build reasonably heavy duty stuff, because that was a project in a half. Not one I'm likely to repeat anytime soon.

here's a slideshow of the higher level assembly and if you hang around you can see exciting pictures of monopods and bottles of well named wine as well (bonus round)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2459472...th/3177812117/
                                    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

DMK, how was the Bitch wine?
                                      Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

I bought and installed ProPanel feeders this fall and I love them. They fit into the corner, right under the feed door in the stall wall. They're probably 3 feet high from the floor of the stall, and the hay just goes in the middle compartment. The horses are essentially eating off the ground, but the hay's contained. I have virtually no waste since they just don't pull it up and out anymore. There are two smaller compartments and I put their grain in one of them. They weren't cheap, but I am so glad I have them. I had a lot of wasted hay before when I was just feeding them on the floor.

I don't know how to post a link, but it's propanel.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X