• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Barn Interior: should I paint or varnish?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stained mine and used polyurethane.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Amwrider View Post
      EXACTLY!

There are lots of nice barns in my area and in order for me to attract better boarding prices I have to make the barn more attractive. I am working on "curb appeal" and also need to do some interior beautification.

I figure if I invest a couple of hundred in paint, it will pay of in the long run by allowing me to charge higher boarding prices and be more competetive with the nicer barns in the area.
      I would just pressure wash. How long is your lease? Having everything, barn, fencing, grounds being safe and offering quality care would go a long way to attracting boarders. I understand wanting to spruce everything up. But what if the owner decides everything looks so nice, I bet I can charge more?

Comment

Originally posted by LoveJubal View Post
        Dmalbone - That is what a barn is supposed to look like How nice!
        Thank you! And thanks Amwrider. We only have a little barn so I was able to do all of it in a relatively short amount of time and $$$. I love my little barn though.

Comment

We did marine spar varnish in the wash rack and a polyurethane in the aisle and stalls.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1075391436

Comment

DMalbone and inquisitive, those look lovely!

Keep posting your pretty barn photos, it's making me think of what I'd like to build someday
            ---
            They're small hearts.

Comment

Inquisitive: Your place is SCAREY pristine and GORGEOUS. I swear! I can't imagine a horse ever walked thru that aisle, or into that washrack!

(REALLY nice!..does it stay that way 24/7? I'm glad I'm not the stable boy!)

question: the window in the washrack. is it the photo, or...is the window actually lower? than typical solid wall/kickboard height?

....and, personally, for my little ghetto barn:
              I'm still considering if I want to JUST paint the 'trim' and cross x's, etc of the doors/frames ....because, I feel if I left it all 'wood' that the 'chew marks' and 'nicks' would show less.... I'm still debating that one.
              ayrabz
              "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
              --Jimmy Buffett

Comment

You do not want to paint..

Unless you want to keep painting, often. I worked the Standardbred race circuit for years and I wish I had a dollar for every hour I spent painting every race track backside, fairgrounds, etc, stalls we moved into. White with red trim. Looked tuff as hell.... for about a week, and very labor intensive. Not to mention, very expensive.

I have a 12 stall barn now, the beams are old, the wood is new. The barn aisle is 140 feet long, stall fronts are half walls with one horizontal barn on top (so they can't chew) and stall gates. All I've ever done is spray on Thompsons water seal with a pump sprayer every spring, then pressure wash once a summer, and the stall fronts are a lovely color and look as new as they did 7years ago.

Stain and varnish are really, really expensive. Make and keep your place as immaculate as possible, and spend money on fabulous hay, safe fences, and generous bedding. You'll find those are the things that the higher end clients are looking for, not shiny stall fronts. Mats in the stalls will save you on bedding and keep the horses cleaner. Get as big of a hot water heater as you can fit so you don't run out of hot water. Invest in those types of things first.
                I think most on this bb would agree, it doesn't matter how snazzy the barn is if the hay is low quality and not enough fed, the stalls and buckets aren't cleaned often, fence is tacked together piece meal, footing in arena is bad, etc. We've all kept our horses places that LOOKED great, until we started looking past the cosmetic stuff.

Comment

Question:

If the wood is varnished/sealed/poly'd - does it make it harder for spiders to attach their cob webs? I have the Florida house spider all over the barn... which ok whatever I dont mind as it IS a barn, but the wood that was used for the walls from the first owner is not exactly a rough out board but it is NOT smooth like a finished piece of wood. So the roughness really makes a great surface for their webs (they are the kind that spread their webs flat over a big surface) and it is a PITA to clean.

Everyone has LOVELY barns. Super jealous.
                  ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
                    Question:

If the wood is varnished/sealed/poly'd - does it make it harder for spiders to attach their cob webs? I have the Florida house spider all over the barn... which ok whatever I dont mind as it IS a barn, but the wood that was used for the walls from the first owner is not exactly a rough out board but it is NOT smooth like a finished piece of wood. So the roughness really makes a great surface for their webs (they are the kind that spread their webs flat over a big surface) and it is a PITA to clean.

Everyone has LOVELY barns. Super jealous.
                    Mine is polyurethane and it does NOT keep away the spider webs/cob webs
                    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
                    http://darkstr.webs.com

Comment

Dmalbone:

What brand/type of varnish did you used to get that glossy look? I have almost finished to stain the wood in my barn but I want to get that easy to wash and high end look and can't decide on the varnish!
                      Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
                      Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                        Dmalbone:

What brand/type of varnish did you used to get that glossy look? I have almost finished to stain the wood in my barn but I want to get that easy to wash and high end look and can't decide on the varnish!
                        I used Helmsman semi-gloss spar urethane. It's actually only two coats. I thought I would need more. If I were redoing it I would use gloss just because I LOVE the shiny. I threw it on with a roller in the winter (temps were way below what they should have been for staining and varnishing) so I didn't get the best coverage (read: operator error. )

Comment

Like they say, the beauty is in the eyes ..... You should do whatever you think looks better. You will get pretty much the same result I would say. Before you made a decision, I think it is important to know the difference between varnish and stain. Varnish gives the glossy look, and stain and paint do not.

Comment

Originally posted by romniE1 View Post
                            Like they say, the beauty is in the eyes ..... You should do whatever you think looks better. You will get pretty much the same result I would say. Before you made a decision, I think it is important to know the difference between varnish and stain. Varnish gives the glossy look, and stain and paint do not.
                            As a follow up, here is a good articles that I found on the topic of stain vs varnish. I hope it serves someone. Feel like contributing to the community today lol.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
                              They have wood bleaching solutions at like Lowes or Home Depot. Im not sure exactly how they differ from a bleach diluted mixture but I used the premade product.

Put it into a landscape sprayer (like for pesticide and what not on flowers, etc), spray the wood, and then use a pressure washer to spray it off. Not only takes off the dirt but also any mold/mildew/moss/etc.

I then used a deck stain that protects the wood from mildew and fading due to UV rays. I personally used a semi transparent as I wanted a more opaque look but to still see the wood grain. For my doors, I have the X's on the front, so I used the black stain on the X and around the edge of the door
                              (http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...88002_0001.jpg)

I used this but obviously whatever you have available (http://www.olympic.com/Stain/Find_Pr...protector.aspx)

I was going to stain or varnish the rest of the wood but never got around to it (lots of work). Plus I like the look of the natural wood. But if I had the time and money, I think a clear varnish would look nice.

If you go with the cleaning and then varnish, do the older oak part first. Maybe with the bleaching/cleaning it will lighten up and then when you apply the varnish, you can see what color it comes to and then try to get close with a stain for the inside parts of the doors?
                              Wood bleach is for lightening the color of wood. It's not what you want for cleaning. For bleach run through a pressure washer, I buy the large jugs of germicidal bleach from Home Depot. Start at the bottom and go up. If you start at the top, sometimes is might leave streaks that won't come out. I know it's counterintuitive, but that's the way it works.

I had the chance just yesterday to compare how eight year old lifetime guarantee paint from Lowes and Sherwin-Williams compared under a pressure washer. SW was twice the price, but it would not come off from the pressure washer, while we had to be careful with the part that was painted with Lowes paint. The Lowes paint was on the ceiling of the dog porch, and the SW on the fascia-both yellow pine, which actually was subjected to more sun and weather.

We've found Sikkens to be the most durable stain on docks here, so that should prove true on anything else.

Realize that polyurethane varnish is not really waterproof. Marine varnish is. If you leave water on poly, it will soak in and make the finish cloudy. It will dry out again, but it hurts the life of it.
                              www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

This is our new barn. We did the stalls ourselves. I wanted to put hi gloss varnish over the stain, but DH said it would flake and look gross over time, stain alone is lower maintenance.
                                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Amwrider View Post
                                  Yes I am leasing it but hopint this will be a long-term comittment. My last place I leased I was there for 5 years.

I do boarding, lessons and train. I want to spiffy up the place and give it a face-lift to make it look more "high-end" for business purposes.
                                  I see your location as Tampa.... look at the roof rafters... from the photo you posted I do not see hurricane clips

Comment

Originally posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
                                    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

This is our new barn. We did the stalls ourselves. I wanted to put hi gloss varnish over the stain, but DH said it would flake and look gross over time, stain alone is lower maintenance.
                                    I'm quite surprised at the number of varnish advocates. Partly it MIT be regional, but here, in tx, iwould probably avoid varnish because in the heat and humidity it will crack and flake in no time. Here I would stain with Thompsons or something similar. The semi transparent or colored would give it a nice consistency

Comment

Working...
                                    X