• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Which lumber do you prefer for stall walls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which lumber do you prefer for stall walls?

Just putting together the contracts for building a new 6-stall barn, and thinking about which lumber to use for the stall walls.

The wall boards will be 2xsomething, probably 2x10 or 2x12, 12' long. They'll sit in a metal channel so we can pop them out to double the size of the stalls if necessary.

Previously we used green hemlock, but as it dried it bent slightly - no biggie - but it also splintered, so there were jaggy bits sticking out in the stalls - BIG biggie.

So - what other woods suit? We can get spruce, ash, oak, hemlock, pines, poplar, milled locally to any dimension we want.

I'd love to know the pros and cons, and what people's experiences have been.

We also have a MOUNTAIN of 100yo barn board, having just had to demolish the old barns which is probably pine, and there are enough boards in good enough condition to use - thoughts?

TIA!

I use pine tongue-in-groove for stall walls. The TIG helps keep the walls 'square' and minimizes warping. And down here, about all you CAN get is pine.
    Donerail Farm
    www.donerailfarm.com
    http://donerailfarm.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by cyndi View Post
      I use pine tongue-in-groove for stall walls. The TIG helps keep the walls 'square' and minimizes warping. And down here, about all you CAN get is pine.
      Interesting. I wanted a 1-2" gap between each board for ventilation (helps with the light, too), but I can see what an advantage t/g would be for keeping the boards both aligned and straight.

The boards will lie horizontally, not vertically - should have explained that.

Does you pine have a rough or a smooth finish, and how wide/deep and thick are the boards?

There are enough barn boards from the big barn that were used for strapping the monster roof that I could have them t/g'd for us, I think.

Food for thought - thanks!

Comment

I'm in CT and sounds like I have similar stalls to yours. Metal channels where 2x12s slide into the channels length wise horizontally.

I put in white pine. Seems to work well, it does warp a tiny bit but not enough to really notice or stress the channels. It's a smooth pine, not rough. Relatively inexpensive. Simple to pop out between stalls as long as you don't put the grills on top. But it does warp like hell if you hang floor mats from them on a stall kicker's walls. I wouldn't recommend that. (don't ask how I know that, LOL)

It also takes a decent amount of abuse if two stalled next to each other decide to kick a bit or run their teeth up and down it. I would've gone with the hard-as-hell oak but boy howdy was that expensive around here.

FWIW if you haven't built the stalls yet...I'd recomment looking at the Priefert stall systems instead of the "do-it-yourself" type of channel stall systems. That was my first choice when building and last minute I swapped it to the stalls I have now and have kicked myself since then. I swapped them solely because I was ordering so much other stuff from one company that they were bringing it on a flat bed and if I added stalls from there too they voided the shipping charges. Dumb. The Prieferts are welded complete walls that you just measure and slide the wood into and then stand up and bolt/drop pin together. MUCH easier to build and get them perfectly square but also easy as pie to swap out a broken board and even easier to remove a center wall to double a stall size. Just remove end pins and slide the wall out. And they're around the same price. (and better looking)
        You jump in the saddle,
        Hold onto the bridle!
        Jump in the line!
        ...Belefonte

Comment

Oak.

Comment

Well dried Oak is probably the best...it is also very expensive. I used 2x12 treated pine and did exactly as you describe with the channels. The barn has been up for over eight years and there has been some warped boards. They don't all lay flat BUT I like the ventilation. Being in the south we build for ventilation not weather proofing. I used treated pine so I don't have to worry about termites and dry rot destroying my barn.
            "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

Oak.

Any time I've seen pine used, even TIG, the horses always manage to gnaw it up. Worse if you're planning to leave space between the boards, but even for a smooth wall they love to chew it up. Even my pair of beavers don't touch the oak

Comment

We used mostly rough sawn oak in our stalls. Our newer barn does have some pressure treated pine down low to the ground. If you want to keep your walls straight, I highly recommend stall stiffeners http://www.woodstarproducts.com/Stal...87c71ab47f1598. They came with our stall kits for our newer barn and we liked them so much, we bought more for our older barn.
                Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

Rough oak straight from the saw mill, and as bludejavu said, treated pine for the two boards closest to the ground. For a stall stiffener (hadn't see this product), we used a piece of decking board on each side of the wall with a lag bolts (3, I believe) holding them together. We recessed the bolt heads/nuts/washers into the wood, so there wasn't a protrusion.
                  www.hollyrunstables.com

Comment

I have rough cut oak and hickory in the run-in shed, and I'm planning to use the same for stall walls. Boards will probably have to run vertically since I don't have enough 12' tree sections to make what I'd need.

(Seriously leaning towards those Priefert components, though having metal on the ground edge doesn't seem like a good idea. Or is it up off the ground a bit? I can't tell from the pictures.)
                    --
                    Wendy
                    ... and Patrick

Comment

Oak ~ put through a "finisher" to protect blankets ~

Oak boards and have them put through a "finisher" to prevent blanket snags ~
                      Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

We used a channel system (had a local fabricator make the u-shaped channels, and it was WAY cheaper than the stall kits) and a mix of lumber types. Treated lumber for the boards closest to the ground, to protect from moisture, then pine, since that was the most cost-effective, then rough-sawn oak for the tops and any high wear/stress areas.

The oak is really sturdy, but it was pricier, heavier, and definitely needed to be pre-drilled when we were building the doors.

The pine was cheaper, softer, lighter, and oh-so tasty and chewable.

I'm pleased with our results, functional and cost-effective, but I do have at least one friend who is disgusted by the "patchwork" appearance of my stalls. Too bad, my barn, I don't take boarders, so it's just me and my horses that have to like it
                        "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                        -Edward Hoagland

Comment

Ours are 2 x 8 pine. I did keep the boards weighted on a flat surface until they were bone dry, so minimal warping. Tongue-in-groove is nice, but wasn't in my budget and I've had NO problems with my boards warping or shrinking.

Every surface within reach of a horse's teeth is sheathed in lightweight galvanized metal, so no chew-marks anywhere.

2 x 10 or 2 x 12 are nice, but HEAVY. Take that into consideration if it's a DIY project!
                          Click here before you buy.

Comment

I'm an oak fan too.

Comment

Previous barn had one stall with a removable wall (u-channels and boards) and yes, the 2"X12"s are really heavy.
                              If you think you'll be removing them yourself, go for the 2"x10"'s, it does make a big difference.
                              You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Comment

PT lumber. I also have bars across the front of stalls. Horses haven't really chewed it. I have 2 12x12 stalls and the wall that divides them was put on sliding stalldoor hardware. The entire wall just pushes back against one wall to create a foaling stall. Wall is pinned into which ever position you are using. Really awesome design, super easy. No taking out heavy boards and than having to store them somewhere. I will try to post a picture later.

Comment

We have smooth southern yellow pine T&G boards on all 4 sides of the stalls. We have not had any problems with horses getting a hold of them with their teeth, and there is no warping. We can remove the divider walls from a channel to double the stall size.
                                  Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Comment

If cost is not a concern, then I think oak is your best choice. I used a combination of T&G pine and spruce. The stalls are about 10 years old and I haven't had any trouble with warping or chewing. With bars on the top 1/2 of the stalls, there's really nothing for them to get their teeth on. However, they have chewed the casings on the exterior door openings (which are easily replaced) and around the window casings.

Comment

Here is a picture of the Sliding wall hardware (I hope)
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Pics of pin which holds wall in place. These are on both sides of wall, top and bottom. Please excuse the cobwebs
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X