• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Looking for farm sitter - interview questions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for farm sitter - interview questions?

I'm in the process of looking for a new farm sitter, as the neighbors who have been taking care of this for us can no longer do so.

Responsibilities would include:
    • feeding 2-3 horses and 2 mini donks once per day
    • checking water tubs
    • one of the horses gets a powdered medication in her feed
    • no stall cleaning or turning in/out, horses are out 24/7 with shelter
    • feeding, watering, and letting out 4 large dogs - feeding AM and PM, letting out AM, afternoon, PM, and right before bed
    What types of questions would you ask if you decide to meet an applicant? I posted an ad a few days ago, and have had 7 responses. Three were deleted immediately There are two that I would definitely like to meet in person, based on what they told me about themselves in their emails and that I've been able to verify the details shared.

I have plenty of questions that I would ask, but more specifically I'm wondering about the mistakes anyone here has made in the past. What did you WISH you had asked, looking back?

I'm extremely unhappy and apprehensive about having a stranger come here to care for my horses and dogs, and I want to make sure I do the best I can while interviewing these folks. There aren't any local kids we know who are old enough for the responsiblility, and we have no family in the area.

Thanks for any ideas!

You're in PA, right? Down around Evansburg Park? I know a woman who just quit her day job and started doing farm/pet sitting full time because a lot of people were asking her to do it. She will house sit, too. She used to work for me (feeding, turnout, stalls, etc) and is really good and very responsible. She lives in Bucks County so I'm not entirely sure how far she'll travel. Let me know if you're interested and I can pm you her email address.

Comment

I used to use pet sitters and I have had some really great ones and not so good. Here are the questions I would ask:
      1. References: ask for 2 or 3 and check them.
      2. Ask for a resume of her experience caring for horses;
      A. experience with emergencies
      B. willingness to stay if there is one
      3. Ability to spot a colic, lameness or horse or donkey that just doesn't look 'right'.
      4. Is she reliable and does she have any job/responsibilities that will make it difficult for her to show up on time to keep the horses' schedule.
      5. Is she bonded/insured?
      6. Does she have health insurance...make sure she signs a hold harmless to be on your property handling the animals.
      7. Make sure you make it clear that she is not to bring friends, ride the horses, or any other thing that you think might happen. I once had a farm sitter use my truck. He was sure surprised when I came home early and my truck was gone! I was, too.
      Good luck. There are some great horse sitters out there so if youfind one, make sure you pay well.

Comment

Sorry...

I think I have you confused with another COTHer whose screen name starts with ASB. Sorry about that. However, should you move to SE PA I have a good farm sitter for you!

Comment

We have a 5-6 page word doc on the computer which we update each time we are away(about 2-3 weekends per year that spells everything out, including all the telephone numbers of the emergency back up help.

We also use a grid sheet of the horse's typical day so we can fill in each step if more than one responsible people are involved:
          SATURDAY
          Am feed: Fred
          Turn out: Fred
          Stalls: Fred
          Midday check: Mary
          Turn In: Mary
          PM Feed: Mary
          Night Check:Mary

Then we fill in one of these for each day we are away on one sheet, print one for ourselves, then copies for all the responsible parties.
          Still doesn't guarantee that the new sitter will pay any attention(we had one like that once). We try to stay away from stranger for hire farm sitters unless they have a reference from someone we know. Make sure you get someone who is not a dog/cat sitter trying to expand their business with horse "sitting".

Comment

pay to have them take care of your house of critters for 2 days while you are still in town. i find this useful in seeing how competent they really are.
            www.destinationconsensusequus.com
            chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I think you might find a more competent, reliable person if you go by referrals from friends, vet, feed store, etc. instead of advertising.

That being said, get lots of recommendations and check them!

Comment

I have a pet sitting business ,(Farm and home personal pet sitters) not to far from you I have horses of my own and I have clients that have horses you can call me to set up an interveiw at 215-858-9542 Most pet sitters are insured for care custody and control and in dealing with horses it is important they a have there own trailer and have a truck , no one should be doing anything with your horses unless authorized .

Comment

fefedog-that was the best thing I have ever heard! Have their own truck and trailer! That in itself will seperate the real deal from the cat/dog, neighborhood kid people!!!
                  www.abernathyfarm.com

Comment

As someone who does farm sit in a pinch, please remember to post your vet/farrier/emergency numbers in a very visible location in the barn, please! It makes it much less nerve wracking when it looks like someones got everything already spelled out for you . I've never hired a farmsitter since my mom or my best friend takes care of my horses if I can't, so I can't help you there. But I do love people who write everything out and post it in one or two easy to find locations in the barn so everything is within sight.
                    "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
                    -fry & laurie

Comment

• Original Poster

Central Iowa, not SE PA. You have me confused with someone else. But I am from Delaware County in SE PA

Thanks for the ideas. I am/was looking for one on short notice. Neighbors crapped out two weeks before the biggest trip of the year, and now we're 9 days from leaving. I think I will be kenneling the dogs and taking the horses over to my dressage trainer's place. Not enough time to find someone competent, so we'll have to do this one the hard way.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Comment

Yes, post important phone numbers, plus a neighbor and relative. Also, normal temps, heart rate and respiration. Weight too. We keep ours posted on a board in the aisle.

Comment

I was able to find an extremely responsible pet sitter through my barn. She is a college student who takes impeccable care of her own animals so I knew mine would be in good hands. Do you know any of the boarders/students at the dressage trainers place well enough to have one of them over to do it? I wish I knew someone in the area that I could recommend, but everyone has moved away. (Or is completely incompetent.)

Comment

My best advice - make sure they can read and FOLLOW written instructions. That has been my number one problem over the years and I've had some great people work for us, but just because they can read doesn't mean they understand it. I started doing a test period of a day or two with potential people, asking them to follow written instructions, just to make sure they could do what was needed.

References can be faked, and in fact, any info they give you can be learned book info - I wanted someone with hands-on experience. A trial period can be extremely revealing in just how much they know.
                            Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

When a petsitter comes for the first interview they should provide you with the nessary vet permission to treat form as well as a contract. you should provide all the nessary info including but not limited to description of each horse dog possibly at pic with a description of animal (his her) dislikes ,vices feeding regiment as well as pasture arangement,if they are not to be in with certain horses and so forth.

Comment

Regardless of who you hire, lock up all valuables and make note of how things were left when you went away.

Our pet sitter robbed us. She took some of my medications, (she has since been convicted of DUI with the same drugs) in a different case, and she (and her boyfriend she brought over) took other things as well. Her jury trial is scheduled for Oct. 4th. (we installed cameras so we could watch the horses and ended up catching a crook) She was sneaky about what she took. Nothing real 'valueable' but I have my suspecions if things would have disappeared one by one over time.

In my case, we hired ours several years ago. We thought all was well and she checked out at that time. Something obvously happened because she went bad. She got caught DUI drugs, possession, child endangerment, and a long list of things late last year. Then... (I didn't know this at the time) she was pulled over again THE WEEEK BEFORE pet sitting for us for drugs, dui, etc... , Then she pet sit for us and took things from our house.

You can't be careful enough and I'd try using those online sources to do background checks now. It wouldn't have helped in our case because nothing had gone to trial yet.

I can't wait for her trial. I want to see her handcuffed and led to prision.
                                Fresh, Frozen & ISO Warmblood Breedings FB Group

Comment

Word of mouth really is best.

I have been on the other side-- and had to deal with broken well pumps, snow storms and the like.

What surprised me is the stuff farm owners hadn't thought of: Did they have emergency instructions and spending limits for all animals in writing? Not usually. Did they have a truck and trailer hooked up, or should I plan on using mine if need be? Did they think to tell me who their neighbors were and who was likely to be able to help with this or that fubar situation? Again, I usually asked this first.

My best advice is to have that face-to-face meeting and give a tour of your farm and duties. Watch for what *they ask you.* The person who asks detailed questions about your animals, facility, and schedule is probably the one who will make sure that your place is taken care of the way you'd want.
                                  The armchair saddler
                                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I've hired pet sitters and do some farm/pet sitting myself. I start by asking other people who they use, and if they recommend them. I've also asked my vet, and have asked at the clinic if there's a tech or assistant that does stay-over pet sitting. I'm not crazy about having strangers in our house, either, and the one time I went with someone who was recommended by only one person, I wasn't real happy with her.

Given that you need 4 dog trips per day, I"m assuming you'll have the person stay over. If not, you'll need someone who lives close enough to drive back and forth four times/day... I wouldn't take that job unless I could stay there. So, ask the person what their typical day's path of travel is. Even if you're near their home or workplace, can they make four trips per day?

Let them know if your animals are on a rigid schedule, or if they're flexible, and how flexible. One place I house sit says they're just as likely to feed their horses at 4:30 am one day and 8:30 the next, depending on work schedules; another considers 15 minutes away from the target time to be "early" or "late." Ask the person how flexible THEIR life is, vs. how rigid -- are they going to be racing to pick up a kid at day care after throwing feed to your horses, or can they stick around to watch someone who doesn't look right? Can they go into work late if they have to wait for the vet? Can they swing by to give the dog a thunderstorm pill if they see on the radar that storms are headed your way?

If the person is going to stay at your house, think about whether you're comfortable with having them STAY around your house for an entire week or weekend. We had one woman who didn't leave for 2-1/2 days... kinda weird... turns out afterward we learned she was in the middle of an ugly divorce and was avoiding home and hubby, but our house is a pretty boring place to be so we still don't know what she DID for 2-1/2 days... she didn't spend her time brushing the cats or walking the dogs, we could tell. When I house sit, I try to spend time with the house animals at the house so they get some attention, but I don't (usually, unless there's a snowstorm or the place is really remote) completely hole up.

Ask if the person has ever owned horses and if they've ever had them at home.

Comment

barn sitter

The only way I would consider a barn sitter is through someone I knew really well, ask your local vet, they sometimes have someone working with them who may need extra cash. Your time away will be ruined if you are uncomfortable due to worry

Comment

Pet sitter and farm owner here. I would go by word of mouth and not by ad responses
                                        "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Working...
                                        X