Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Going “Hog Wild” on a barn build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going “Hog Wild” on a barn build

So. Keeping in mind that SO and I work full time and are minimally handy. I’ve started collecting quotes for “turn key” barn builds (as opposed to me playing general contractor). On a whim, I requested quotes for my dream barn, 36x36 center aisle with a 12 ft overhang on one side, cupola, Dutch doors, pretty sliding aisle doors, hurricane rated, insulated roof from several large companies. MD Barnmaster, Morton, National Barn.

Seems like this project is going to run $40k plus. Probably closer to 60k once it’s all said done and finished. Double ouch! I’m fairly certain that if I want to GC myself I can save some serious dollars, but that is going to cost me time (that I could spend earning more money at work) and probably a bunch of stress and pita factor, etc. At the end of the day, $60k will barely buy me a brand new dually. Sooo, thinking from that perspective this barn suddenly seems a lot more reasonable.

Has anyone else said the heck with it and gone hog wild in the barn build? How do you feel about it now?

Note this is for my private use only.

Experience is a necessary evil. It's like good horsemanship - having the foresight to prevent a problem = making it look easy.
    The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by pony grandma View Post
      Experience is a necessary evil. It's like good horsemanship - having the foresight to prevent a problem = making it look easy.
      Thank you. That makes a lot of sense!

Comment

Picking the site - drainage, sun/wind?, physical and utility access is so critical before adding the structure. Lots of threads here to research. Someone should assemble them in a sticky!
        The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

Original Poster

Picking the site - drainage, sun/wind?, physical and utility access is so critical before adding the structure. Lots of threads here to research. Someone should assemble them in a sticky!

A sticky would be nice! I’ve been reading tons of threads and they are very helpful. Sure are a lot of things to consider. I’m in a hot climate in a hurricane zone, no snow ever, so my needs are different than someone in Canada for sure. I think here, we need protection on the east side from hurricane winds and prefer peaks of roofs to run North and South so the roof isn’t taking full sun all the time.

So much to consider! Hay storage, manure management, fencing materials, driveway access!

Comment

I also have a containment fence around 3/4 of the barn, we have one horse who opens stall latch doors, they have to be chained! That way if the back door is open for air no horse can escape out to the road. The containment fence also includes the arena/pasture accesses.

Comment

Original Poster

I also have a containment fence around 3/4 of the barn, we have one horse who opens stall latch doors, they have to be chained! That way if the back door is open for air no horse can escape out to the road. The containment fence also includes the arena/pasture accesses.
              That’s quite smart. I’ll keep that in mind!

Comment

We have a neighbor who got sued big time when his draft horse got hit/and killed on the road, made for an even bigger impact the horse being so large. Happened in broad daylight right in front of the rural elementary school across the road.

Comment

Originally posted by lenapesadie View Post
                  So. Keeping in mind that SO and I work full time and are minimally handy. I’ve started collecting quotes for “turn key” barn builds (as opposed to me playing general contractor). On a whim, I requested quotes for my dream barn, 36x36 center aisle with a 12 ft overhang on one side, cupola, Dutch doors, pretty sliding aisle doors, hurricane rated, insulated roof from several large companies. MD Barnmaster, Morton, National Barn.

Seems like this project is going to run $40k plus. Probably closer to 60k once it’s all said done and finished. Double ouch! I’m fairly certain that if I want to GC myself I can save some serious dollars, but that is going to cost me time (that I could spend earning more money at work) and probably a bunch of stress and pita factor, etc. At the end of the day, $60k will barely buy me a brand new dually. Sooo, thinking from that perspective this barn suddenly seems a lot more reasonable.

Has anyone else said the heck with it and gone hog wild in the barn build? How do you feel about it now?

If you have not worked in construction, you may not know how little you know.

It probably will end costing you more to source materials than professionals pay.
                  Also, the better tradesmen, if you can find them, will cost you time while waiting for your work between other jobs.

The better builders have the better workers and the best system, which in the end pays in quality and quick work.

Building anything is an exercise in frustration, the best lined up job will still have things that didn't work quite right, didn't get done in time and slow everyone else, the wrong materials were delivered, someone misread a page in the plans, etc.

After you have build once, I doubt you would consider being your own GC and hope to save some money.

I vote for letting a builder do the building.

Also would say, have a shell built and put in there portable stalls, so if needs change all can be altered easily.
                  Life has a way to change our needs, portable is your friend.

If you go that route, you can add portable stalls yourself easily.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Bluey View Post

If you have not worked in construction, you may not know how little you know.

It probably will end costing you more to source materials than professionals pay.
                    Also, the better tradesmen, if you can find them, will cost you time while waiting for your work between other jobs.

The better builders have the better workers and the best system, which in the end pays in quality and quick work.

Building anything is an exercise in frustration, the best lined up job will still have things that didn't work quite right, didn't get done in time and slow everyone else, the wrong materials were delivered, someone misread a page in the plans, etc.

After you have build once, I doubt you would consider being your own GC and hope to save some money.

I vote for letting a builder do the building.

Also would say, have a shell built and put in there portable stalls, so if needs change all can be altered easily.
                    Life has a way to change our needs, portable is your friend.

If you go that route, you can add portable stalls yourself easily.
                    That’s exactly why I got these quotes. Surely I will make every rookie error possible if I attempt to GC myself. Granted my dad is a GC and could probably help me avoid some errors, but he’s busy running his business too!

These companies that are solely in the business of building barns know a lot more than me about the process!

Yes to the shell! My official quotes are for just that. I’d have them do the aisle doors and Dutch doors, but I can source stall kits and tack room kit (surely such a thing exists?) myself. Probably putting those together will be enough of a stretch of my handyman abilities!

Thanks for your thoughts! Much appreciated!

Comment

I strongly recommend you having a talk with Morton's, the barn builders. They build very good barns, can put in any kind of the details you could wish for, using their own stalls, or other brands. They have the BEST guarantee on materials, workmanship, of any barn company, and they are nationwide. If any issue develops, call them to fix it. They even come fix barns if you purchased a property with a Morton building on it!

They use their own steel, manufactured and painted to their specs. They are more expensive, but worth it for the extended xervice provided. With so much experience, they know drainage, wind forces, perhaps making a raised layer under the building for flooding issues on the property, drainage. They have choices in cupolas or can fabricate what you want. Cupolas that can WORK in hot locations, not just decorative.

You might want to discuss your barn design, not be locked into what you think you want. Again, they have done many designs, might have some useful suggestions you can use. From my experience, you may want to add some size to the footprint you have, maybe add wall height. We also had a "perfect" design, a space for everything. My BIL the barn builder said we should make it bigger. If we could fill the space now, it was too small for the future needs. We added 20ft in length, but wish we had gone with 14ft walls instead of only 12ft. Could have stacked the hay higher to get more in. The 20 ft length is full of hay and daily-drive carriages. Our favorite discipline changed from all riding to mostly driving these days. We have more horses than I ever dreamed of owning, needed more stalls! We have added on the barn side twice, to gain trailer, truck, tractor and carriage storage. We are planning to build another barn for the hay making equipment we purchased to put up our own hay. Can't leave it out in the weather and expect it to work well.

So definately, add some more footage to your design! Not sure what other "fancy" ideas you have in mind. A perimeter fence is a great suggestion, just make sure the main gate is kept closed! Fence won't help if gate is commonly left open.

Which brings to mind, you want a wide, SOLID driveway to handle trucks and trailers, a firetruck, trying to get to the barn. Straight is best. Going for heaviest, firetruck can weigh 100,000 pounds around here, very wide. Getting it stuck in the driveway will block any help getting in. A gravel truck with fill is also really heavy, hay wagons or big horse trailers, so a good base under the drive is essential The good driveway probably should be your first step towards building the new barn. A wide pad area in front of the barn so you can drive a BIG circle to turn around makes life a lot easier. That big pad can also work as a long lining area, small ring, if your other footing is too wet to use! We use our pad area a lot in winter for long lining.

Comment

I’m in a hurricane area like you too but most of what we get here is tornadoes. I got a lot of grief from my boyfriend about what I was spending on the barn. He looked at the plans, saw the wind ratings & changed his tune.

With all the rain here it’s taking forever for us to get fencing done. We both work full time so doing things in the evening doesn’t work. He was off for a month because of covid & during that time got the water & electric done. I still need to level stalls & put in mats. Morton had my barn done in a little over a week. It’s 36x36, 2 stalls with Dutch doors, a cupola & I had them do the concrete. I didn’t do insulation, maybe just the roof in the future. It’s usually pretty breezy here & if not the barn is comfortable with the doors open & the cupola fan running.

Get what you want & don’t settle. I didn’t need fancy stalls. We’re also in the middle of nowhere so it was less hassle to have the builder do it than to do the work ourselves & be gouged on shipping. Everything else we are doing ourselves. Do shop around. I was going to order mats & lights until my quote was $5500 for 2 mats & 4 light fixtures with shipping. Shipping was $1500 out of that. I found mats & different lights from the same manufacturer elsewhere & saved about $3000.

Comment

Originally posted by lenapesadie View Post

I donno, I think $40-60k for a 36x36 barn with the features you mention seems like a steal I feel like I see the prefab buildings from Horizon et al going for more than that. But then, it's not my $

To answer your Q about to GC or not, I would say not unless it is something you are very knowledgeable about. Pay the experts to be the experts- will likely save you time, headaches, and possibly even $ as they will have far more connections for materials and trustworthy sub-contractors than you. Good luck!

Comment

She's Pure Gold it may not be too far off, I called Barnmaster/MD to ask about how much mine cost (materials) when I refinanced my property and it was somewhere around $29k I think for the kit and shipping, I added the cost of the concrete and went with that because labor would never get factored into a barn for a refi. So it may not be far off. FWIW, my barn is a 36x36 center aisle with four stalls, one on one side and three on the other. However I then emailed asking for a quote for a shedrow barn and it was $26k for kit, shipping, engineering, and install (site had to be prepped already), so it makes me question my price on my current barn.
                            COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

To the OP, I vote let them do all the work. Subcontracting sorta sucks.
                              COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

See if you have a large animal rescue group in your area (rescue like my horse is stuck in a pond, not like my horse is too skinny). They will probably be happy to do outreach and talk with you about making your barn safe. Stuff like making it fire truck accessible, etc.

I went to a seminar once and they convinced me of the importance of outside stall doors.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by goodhors View Post
                                  I strongly recommend you having a talk with Morton's, the barn builders. They build very good barns, can put in any kind of the details you could wish for, using their own stalls, or other brands. They have the BEST guarantee on materials, workmanship, of any barn company, and they are nationwide. If any issue develops, call them to fix it. They even come fix barns if you purchased a property with a Morton building on it!

They use their own steel, manufactured and painted to their specs. They are more expensive, but worth it for the extended xervice provided. With so much experience, they know drainage, wind forces, perhaps making a raised layer under the building for flooding issues on the property, drainage. They have choices in cupolas or can fabricate what you want. Cupolas that can WORK in hot locations, not just decorative.

You might want to discuss your barn design, not be locked into what you think you want. Again, they have done many designs, might have some useful suggestions you can use. From my experience, you may want to add some size to the footprint you have, maybe add wall height. We also had a "perfect" design, a space for everything. My BIL the barn builder said we should make it bigger. If we could fill the space now, it was too small for the future needs. We added 20ft in length, but wish we had gone with 14ft walls instead of only 12ft. Could have stacked the hay higher to get more in. The 20 ft length is full of hay and daily-drive carriages. Our favorite discipline changed from all riding to mostly driving these days. We have more horses than I ever dreamed of owning, needed more stalls! We have added on the barn side twice, to gain trailer, truck, tractor and carriage storage. We are planning to build another barn for the hay making equipment we purchased to put up our own hay. Can't leave it out in the weather and expect it to work well.

So definately, add some more footage to your design! Not sure what other "fancy" ideas you have in mind. A perimeter fence is a great suggestion, just make sure the main gate is kept closed! Fence won't help if gate is commonly left open.

Which brings to mind, you want a wide, SOLID driveway to handle trucks and trailers, a firetruck, trying to get to the barn. Straight is best. Going for heaviest, firetruck can weigh 100,000 pounds around here, very wide. Getting it stuck in the driveway will block any help getting in. A gravel truck with fill is also really heavy, hay wagons or big horse trailers, so a good base under the drive is essential The good driveway probably should be your first step towards building the new barn. A wide pad area in front of the barn so you can drive a BIG circle to turn around makes life a lot easier. That big pad can also work as a long lining area, small ring, if your other footing is too wet to use! We use our pad area a lot in winter for long lining.
                                  I’m pretty sure I read some of your responses to old threads. I recognize the carriages comment Originally, I was considering a smaller size, but took your thoughts to heart and sized up a fair bit! No doubt I’ll appreciate the space!

Most likely my idea of fancy is “not obviously cobbled together from recycled materials” lol.

The turn around is tricksy. This is a very small property. The best solution I’ve come up with so far is like a T. If I had a bit more room I’ve always thought a circle drive around a round pen was a good use of space! Good news is that barn sites are all relatively close to paved road access. I am committed to providing good access for emergency vehicles. Having the fire dept out to help with that is on the to do list.

Perimeter fencing is also a bit tricky due to layout of the house and it’s driveway, but I believe I can get it sorted. I certainly don’t want any horses in the road!!!!

Comment

Original Poster

goodhors I am still waiting on my Morton quote!

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Living In The Sticks View Post
                                      I’m in a hurricane area like you too but most of what we get here is tornadoes. I got a lot of grief from my boyfriend about what I was spending on the barn. He looked at the plans, saw the wind ratings & changed his tune.

With all the rain here it’s taking forever for us to get fencing done. We both work full time so doing things in the evening doesn’t work. He was off for a month because of covid & during that time got the water & electric done. I still need to level stalls & put in mats. Morton had my barn done in a little over a week. It’s 36x36, 2 stalls with Dutch doors, a cupola & I had them do the concrete. I didn’t do insulation, maybe just the roof in the future. It’s usually pretty breezy here & if not the barn is comfortable with the doors open & the cupola fan running.

Get what you want & don’t settle. I didn’t need fancy stalls. We’re also in the middle of nowhere so it was less hassle to have the builder do it than to do the work ourselves & be gouged on shipping. Everything else we are doing ourselves. Do shop around. I was going to order mats & lights until my quote was $5500 for 2 mats & 4 light fixtures with shipping. Shipping was $1500 out of that. I found mats & different lights from the same manufacturer elsewhere & saved about $3000.
                                      Wind ratings are a big deal! My boyfriend is also giving a bit of grief, but he’ll settle down

Do you have slider doors or roll up doors on your aisle? I’m more familiar with wind rated roll up doors and worry that might be a better choice than sliders.

It would be fantastic if I could get the builder to do the concrete too. I’ll check into that!

Shopping around is a big deal!

Best of luck with your fencing and thanks for your thought

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by She's Pure Gold View Post

I donno, I think $40-60k for a 36x36 barn with the features you mention seems like a steal I feel like I see the prefab buildings from Horizon et al going for more than that. But then, it's not my $

To answer your Q about to GC or not, I would say not unless it is something you are very knowledgeable about. Pay the experts to be the experts- will likely save you time, headaches, and possibly even $ as they will have far more connections for materials and trustworthy sub-contractors than you. Good luck!
                                        Well, I won’t be getting an inside wash rack, so that’s kind of a spendy option I didn’t include. Also only 3 Dutch doors, as I’m only planning on three stalls. My quote is actually under $40k but doesn’t include stalls. I haven’t got my Morton quote yet and I’m thinking they will be a bit more expensive.

Thanks for helping! I’m glad I don’t sound silly to want to pay someone to do this!

Comment

Working...
                                        X