Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

getting new neighbors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting new neighbors

I'd like a thread to just hear from those who had a lot/parcel of land directly on your properties fencline sell and owners begin construction on. Just to know your experiences....the good the bad, the ugly......and if suggestions of things learned, etc. I'm dreading it. These are not horsey people at all and my fenceline and barn are adjoining this parcel --very little space for a home...weird sized 3 acre parcel most in woods/ravine. so they'll be setting the pad very close to back of my barn and attached fenceline that travels our lot line from there to the road frontage.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Well, we were the new neighbors who built when the existing neighbor did not want us or our evil horses there.

In the beginning they did their best to make our lives miserable. Everything we did ended up with someone being called (sometimes they just called us, sometimes they called the town, etc). Even the town was annoyed by them and told them more than once that if they wanted control of this property they needed to buy it.
    We are quiet neighbors, no parties or such. We keep the horse areas clean (pick manure every day).

Lots of years later they seem to realize that having horses next door does not affect them and they now make attempts to be neighborly.

I realize this is the opposite situation as what you are dealing with but I think it shows that even with the most difficult neighbor they can hopefully learn to deal with having horses next door.

Comment

They ought to know what they are in for, since horses are already there, but you may consider getting to know them soon to make sure they understand that horses are not garbage disposals for their old veggies, etc... (yes, we had that issue in suburban barn where I boarded).

If they have kids, there is potential for making nice with you. We made friends with neighbors building nearby and invited them over to tour the farm. That seemed to satisfy their curiosity and we never had any trouble. During the tour, we showed them the feeding routine and we were able to explain how the horses are susceptible to digestive upsets. I think that helped because they asked if we wanted treats for the horses and what kind of treats they ate. An ounce of prevention....

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
        Well, we were the new neighbors who built when the existing neighbor did not want us or our evil horses there.

We have experienced just the opposite. Out large acreage lot is the center of fifteen, five in front, five in back and two on either side..... We are thinking of imposing a Viewing Fee.

People are trying to buy here so that they can see the horses.

(Neighbor across the street the extended family have two of the houses next to each other and have developed a rural compound of sorts...even down to a miniature cow)

We are in the middle of few million people and less than a mile from a $2B mall/shopping complex

Comment

I realize you already have your fence up but depending on how the new neighbors turn out I would consider putting up a secondary fence to keep horses back away from the shared fence (if there is one).

Post signs now about not feeding/petting the horses and one that says private facility etc. at least they'll have a warning before they move in. Hopefully they will be great neighbors.

We got new neighbors (several houses down from us) they have been great, husband takes all our manure for his compost and gives us fresh fruit and veggies!

Comment

I live in an equine development, there are horse farms and just people who don’t have horses but like having a few acres.
            It is always a cause for concern when somebody new moves in.
            However it is usually ok, most people are pretty respectful of their neighbor's and if they are not you can address it then.
            I definitely would not put up signs about not feeding the horses, that seems a little hostile, but if you are concerned about that just talk to them about how delicate horse’s digestion is.
            As far as double fences,that is always a good idea.
            It will probably be fine, most people just want to enjoy their own home.

Comment

My advice would be "kindness" --no matter what --and make sure your fence along their property is child proof and electric and well marked as such. I have four Amish neighbors with loads of little kids --as lovely and well-behaved as those kids are, a toddler running after a puppy or ball should not be able to go under or through a fence --I was chatting with the neighbor who was holding his son on the other side of the fence (we were talking about the new fencing he was considering). I told him to let me know when the fence contractor would be out as my fence is always on --woven wire with a hot wire on top. The dad held his little boy up and pointed at the wire and said: "gevaarlijk!" two or three times. (At least I think that is what he said).

I can't say I always like what my neighbors do ---openly burn garbage (it stinks) put up four duck barns (probably 100,000 ducks) on my property line, built two huge horse barns that shed water into my riding ring (zoning said they were in code --my ring is down hill from their property), and don't vaccinate or worm their horses. Even so, I say hi when I see them, compliment the beautiful care they take of gardens and yards, admire their children's behavior, and generally try to be a good neighbor.

I must say that years ago when I was feeding and soundly kicked by an old mare --the barn boy called an ambulance since I was knocked out and had a broken arm --the Amish neighbor closest immediately came over (I was told) and helped the boy finish feeding the horses and tidy the barn after I was hauled away. He asked my husband the next day if I was ok ----I think that's a good neighbor.

Comment

Double fence if you have the space for it: perimeter fence, mowed section, then horse fence. Though it may be tricky with your lot description. If you can't do that, I would recommend no climb with a hot wire top along the property line. It looks neat, but discourages horses from getting out, dogs from getting in, and people from reaching over. Signs are great, but don't immediately go for the 'in your face' type, that gives the vibe that you are the nasty neighbor, which cultivates them to be the nasty neighbor...
                Because, the hardest thing....is don't assume they will be difficult. Have a plan to go to immediately if they are, but don't assume it from the outset. Even non-horsey neighbors can be an asset, I have cultivated several. They know my horses though they have never touched them. They would know who to call if they saw a loose horse and they are also a second set of eyes watching for the real problem in the area which is the use of the dirt road for illicit activity. I on the other hand, know their dirt bikes on their property, and would know who to call if I saw dirt bikes that weren't theirs where they shouldn't be!
                I'm no saint, I have poor relations with another neighbor though, and nearly had to get a restraining order on a more distant one. But, in the latter case horses had nothing to do with it!
                My theory: protect my property politely, discretely, and securely, make my property look reasonable within what is expected in the local culture so no undue attention either positive or negative comes up, make friendly acquaintances where possible, and where not possible circle back to polite, discrete, and secure protection.

Comment

Do you have a survey? Like, are you SURE 100% that you know where your lot lines are? I'd get one asap if you don't. It's a whole lot easier to have a pleasant conversation citing pins and surveys early on rather than trying to play catch up later, should there be any confusion on their part.

Comment

During construction one thing I'd be watching for is how the contractors are disposing of garbage. I can't tell you how much crap I've dug out of my yard, and I don't have acreage! Just make sure it doesn't somehow end up on your side of the fence, is all I'm sayin'......

Comment

Originally posted by B and B View Post
                      Double fence
                      yes .... we are double fence on the public side and on adjoining areas where others have had livestock.

Our insurance carrier suggested the double fencing on the public side since we have three schools within a half mile. At least the sidewalk is on the opposite side of the street of the of the property .... but with the horses behind two fences which have a ten foot gap and the horses being no closer than 150 feet to sidewalk kids just do not make the effort to make an up close view of the horses..... well helps to have a large GSD that has free run of the area between the fences

Comment

Original Poster

thanks all! I Admit i'm expecting some hassels. however, i'm also checking in to my 'own' privacy fencing run, even if added to my own fenceposts on that side, to keep it on our propery.

ayrabz
                        --Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Another vote for putting a 2nd fenceline inside the existing to leave a wide berth between your horses & Looky(orFeedy)Lous.
                          Since you mention a privacy fence of some sort between your properties, maybe let them know you are doing so to avoid any problems, not to be un-neighborly.

I had a neighbor - from across the road! - who thought she was doing me a favor by feeding my horses a teeny "bale" of alfalfa from her son's deceased hamster
                          I kindly explained it was important for me to know exactly what my horses ate & when they ate it.

Another lady stopped her car on the road - a good 75' from my pasture & separated from the road by a berm - so her kid could feed baby carrots to the (Shameless Beggar) horses. Nearly including the plastic bag the carrots came in.

IIWM, I'd be proactive & take some cake or cookies over to welcome the Newbs, being sure to mention that you welcome their interest in your horses only if you are present.
                          Blame potential biting, delicate equine digestion, whatever it takes to make them understand - as politely as possible - you are not a Petting Zoo.
                          And do mention that if they have any concerns - smell, flies, etc - you will do whatever you can to correct the perceived problem.

Fingers Crossed you get some good neighbors!
                          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

BTDT. Put me on the double fence list. Post the property and make sure PD knows about it. Make sure you have liability that covers the horses. Be very assertive when it comes to what you personally can tolerate re: neighbors "visiting" horses and make sure they know the boundaries from the beginning. Be nice, but be firm. Very firm.

Comment

Original Poster

Yes. When I was out picking the paddock right on the property line I did indeed welcome them, and expressed we thought they may had moved away (were supposed to build after purchasing but never saw them again until this past day with their builder and surveyors) anyway. bad blood between us from the start. They were (are? dunno anymore) 'best friends' with the neighbor who split parcels out of his land and sold to them. that neighbor and our family had a falling out after i moved in (2014) to care for my mom. they felt mom 'didn't need' her dementia care, her walker, etc. We tried to be kind and thank them but that we were working with her Drs. --- long story short, they began driving in our lane, and walking into our house when they knew I was over at the barn (monitors, cell phone and beeper in hand for mom)...they frightened her, just walking into her bedroom. (mom had been fighting bronchitus, and had to decline a get together invitation at their home, and i guess they didn't believe us) anyway. it got so bad, we had to get social services involved, and they finally backed off, as it would have progressed badly for them. So. what I'm trying to share that long backstory for is: these 'new' neighbors are their best friends. and I'm sure have heard maliciousness for years over this. So, yes, i'm expecting a hard time. my poor mom. she's 86, and this is one more thing in her diminishing health she doesn't need.
                              ayrabz
                              --Jimmy Buffett

Comment

In that case, I would never go an inch on their property. How horrible for their friends to trespass, and harass your mother, and you. From the first second, set a firm boundary, and don't let them start like their friends did.
                                You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Besides the fencing additionally and talking to them about treats, I would also add the comments about mown grass to make sure they do not try to dump clippings right along your fence thinking they are giving the horsies extra green yummies. If they are nice maybe they will even try to mow where the clippings go away from your fenceline. Ask if they garden and maybe you can make friends offering compost to them too. All the best of luck!! My neighbors luckily were excited when we started putting up our fences that they would get to see horses out n about. I let them get compost from me provided they do it when I am home, since electric fences and horses lol.

My one neighbor gets apples n pears from our orchard, I made sure all neighbors have my number God forbid anything happens n horses get loose while I am at work. They also were introduced to both dogs and the outdoor cat so they know the cat is vaccinated and playful in case he wanders over by their homes and they get a scratch while playing with him and they know if one of my dogs ends up by their place to call me since they are indoor dogs and that means I do not know they are out n about lol.

Go talk to them and get a feel for them, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Comment

That's why I suggested you post signs about not feeding or petting the horses and private facility etc. now before they move in, so they don't think you are targeting them specifically with the signs. When you do it after you catch them in the act of feeding or petting, it doesn't go over very well, I know from experience.

Comment

That's why I suggested you post signs about not feeding or petting the horses and private facility etc
                                      one thing I was told about signage was it can be used against you also ..unless you go to the extra effort to mitigate the problem. (also Signs are worthless when it comes to minors who are not expected to read or understand the meaning of the signage)

Nice to have, but make sure you have done everything within reason to eliminate the problem

Comment

OP, these old neighbors resent you for moving in to take care of your mom? I guess they were friends of hers? Are they closer to her age? Might be seeing their own mortality. Either way, maybe the new neighbors will try to be a bridge between you and their friends. With their house being so close to your barn, they might prioritize being friendly with you.

Comment

Working...
                                        X