Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

We're Back!

We experienced a cyber attack that wiped out the site's content earlier this week via a software vulnerability, but the developers were able to restore everything from backups.

We updated our software to implement available patches and will be making further cosmetic changes to the site to restore it. Performance is slow right now, but by early next week, the developers will have restored a few optimization strategies they usually have in place to keep things percolating smoothly.

Going forward, we will make some changes to the site to limit the number of customizations we implement to the software, so that it is easier to keep current on updates and patches if they are released.

The developers do not believe that this was a "personal" attack, where someone is targeting the Chronicle's site with malicious intent against us specifically. These cyber jerks apparently just cruise the Internet, scanning for known vulnerabilities to attack.

They are confident passwords were not accessed, but even if they were, we store password encrypted, so that should not be an issue. Of course, if anyone has concerns about password security, changing related passwords is always an option for peace of mind.

Please report any glitches in a thread we'll be starting in the Help forum.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Liquid Fertilizer for Grazing Fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Fertilizer for Grazing Fields

I'm actively exploring the use of liquid fertilizer for grazing fields this year.

We have a lot of hilly terrain that is clear and has been used for both hay production and grazing of the years. There are some places where getting a buggy with a couple of tons of material in it is challenging. I've got a 110 gal. spray rig with a 21' boom for the 3 pt. hitch and it works quite well for applying weed killers. It would be an excellent idea if I could find a good quality liquid fertilizer that meets my needs and even better if I could mix herbicides with the fertilizer. That would save a lot of money on diesel and tractor time.

So far I've not found much in the way of a promising program. I did find a couple of sellers of liquid fertilizers that might meet my needs but one is sort of a "high pressure" operation and the other just doesn't look completely "right" in their advertising. I've got a call in to our local County Agent but so far all we've done in play "phone tag."

There have been a few threads I've found on ag. sites and the liquids are usually given little credibility. Sometimes it's on a sound basis, like application of actual material per acre with a liquid vice a solid material (with solid material being much more dense). The main advantage of the liquid is quick uptake by the plants but not much in the way of longer term soil improvement. There is also less risk of run off into waterways with the liquid program.

Anyone ever tried this? What was the result? Or researched it and then decided not to proceed?

Any information would be appreciated.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Have you tried southern states? Even if you do not have one near you, you can still call and ask them about it, or local tsc or feed co op.

Comment

We've been spraying liquid nitrogen on our hay ground/pasture for years. We try to get it on as early in the spring as possible once the snow has melted and the ground isn't so wet that we'll get compaction. Do our best to time it just before a rain. That way the material is washed into the soil root zone rather than volatilizing off into the air. (That's your biggest loss with liquid N.) It gives the hay production a good quick burst to start the season and a better grass yield. We've definitely noticed the difference in years when the application was late.

We do keep the horses off fertilized ground for a few days and in a sacrifice area, usually until the field has been rained on. I don't know that this is truly necessary. We've never had any problems in years where we only got a light rain.

We do have the advantage of having access to a 4WD truck mounted unit that DH brings home from his work as orchard manager. He does get the liquid as part of the orchard bulk order, but you should be able to get liquid N thru most outlets that supply commercial farmers.

Sometimes you can tank mix herbicide and fertilizer, but make sure:
      1. materials are compatible
      2. timing of application is right so they are effective. Timing of herbicide may need to be different depending on target weeds and mode of action.
      A good strong grass stand is often your best defense against weeds. Also, remember, a "weed" is merely a plant out of place. Some forbs such as dandelions actually sequester a lot of nutrients and are good for livestock.

Don't be taken in by some of the high pressure, boutique products out there. Lots of stuff in them that won't help your pasture in a big way and lots of $$$$ spent. Main thing is to know what your ground needs for N-P-K. Basic soil test will tell you that. Local extension agent should be able to help you interpret the results if you don't already know how to do that. They can also help you figure out application rate based on what product you will be using. Keep chasing him/her down!

P & K (and possibly lime) are much slower to break down and act in the soil. They are best applied in solid applications, as need, based on soil tests. Not always needed every year. N is highly soluble and volatile, so typically needs annual application.

True soil building is a very long term (years) process that involves adding organic matter. Simplistically, adding composted manure is the easiest method but there is really MUCH more to it if you want a vibrant living soil. There are resources out there if you want to educate yourself, enjoy chemistry, entomology, and a host of other sciences. It will be an ongoing work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by fjordmom View Post
        We've been spraying liquid nitrogen on our hay ground/pasture for years. We try to get it on as early in the spring as possible once the snow has melted and the ground isn't so wet that we'll get compaction. Do our best to time it just before a rain. That way the material is washed into the soil root zone rather than volatilizing off into the air. (That's your biggest loss with liquid N.) It gives the hay production a good quick burst to start the season and a better grass yield. We've definitely noticed the difference in years when the application was late.

We do keep the horses off fertilized ground for a few days and in a sacrifice area, usually until the field has been rained on. I don't know that this is truly necessary. We've never had any problems in years where we only got a light rain.

We do have the advantage of having access to a 4WD truck mounted unit that DH brings home from his work as orchard manager. He does get the liquid as part of the orchard bulk order, but you should be able to get liquid N thru most outlets that supply commercial farmers.

Sometimes you can tank mix herbicide and fertilizer, but make sure:
        1. materials are compatible
        2. timing of application is right so they are effective. Timing of herbicide may need to be different depending on target weeds and mode of action.
        A good strong grass stand is often your best defense against weeds. Also, remember, a "weed" is merely a plant out of place. Some forbs such as dandelions actually sequester a lot of nutrients and are good for livestock.

Don't be taken in by some of the high pressure, boutique products out there. Lots of stuff in them that won't help your pasture in a big way and lots of $$$$ spent. Main thing is to know what your ground needs for N-P-K. Basic soil test will tell you that. Local extension agent should be able to help you interpret the results if you don't already know how to do that. They can also help you figure out application rate based on what product you will be using. Keep chasing him/her down!

P & K (and possibly lime) are much slower to break down and act in the soil. They are best applied in solid applications, as need, based on soil tests. Not always needed every year. N is highly soluble and volatile, so typically needs annual application.

True soil building is a very long term (years) process that involves adding organic matter. Simplistically, adding composted manure is the easiest method but there is really MUCH more to it if you want a vibrant living soil. There are resources out there if you want to educate yourself, enjoy chemistry, entomology, and a host of other sciences. It will be an ongoing work in progress.
        Thank you for the excellent advice, above. We done some of this, as dictated by our climate, soil, and rain patterns. If I were going to go for maximized hay production I would not be looking at this route. But the same field that will make you money by producing hay, or being good graze for cattle or sheep, will kill a bunch of horses. So, you as you "feed to need" you also raise your feed to fit that need. I don't think we are going to make any hay this year as we have several sources of good quality hay available. And if we do the fields right we won't use any hay until sometime in December, or even January. And we're done in mid-April. We've done the "yellow pad analysis" and think that we've got a very viable plan. Assuming, of course, the weather cooperates. That item is what make farmers the World's Greatest Gamblers as we rely on something we cannot control!

I'll continue my research and will be making final decisions by mid-week.

G.

Comment

Now if you figure out how to get the weather to cooperate please share that secret. Good luck with your decision making. If I'm lucky enough snow will be gone in 6 weeks that I can begin to think about getting fertilizer on.

Comment

Here our grain elevators sell liquid fertilizer.
            May want to ask your local ones.

Comment

I just bought some fertilizer in bags that you mix with water and apply, and you can use herbicides with it. If you'd like, I will look at the bags tomorrow when I go out to the barn.
              "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
              -Richard S. Bach

Comment

Originally posted by Unfforgettable View Post
                I just bought some fertilizer in bags that you mix with water and apply, and you can use herbicides with it. If you'd like, I will look at the bags tomorrow when I go out to the barn.
                Thank you, that would be helpful. I've read about these in a couple of comments but no links to products and they've not shown up in my searches except for one product in five pound bags for home gardeners. That is not terribly helpful at this point!

G.

Comment

They can't keep this in stock- sells out quickly!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ents-2-1-2-gal
                  When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
                  www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
                  http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ASB Stars View Post
                    They can't keep this in stock- sells out quickly!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ents-2-1-2-gal
                    Looks like they also have that with a herbicide already added to it?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=IOPDP2

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post

Looks like they also have that with a herbicide already added to it?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=IOPDP2
                      Yup. But he asked for fertilizer. TSC sells every variety of mix under the sun. But he asked for fertilizer.
                      When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
                      www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
                      http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ASB Stars View Post

Yup. But he asked for fertilizer. TSC sells every variety of mix under the sun. But he asked for fertilizer.
                        I was adding that because the OP stated:

---" --- It would be an excellent idea if I could find a good quality liquid fertilizer that meets my needs and even better if I could mix herbicides with the fertilizer. That would save a lot of money on diesel and tractor time."---

Comment

Guilherme The stuff I use is from Peters. They have several different kinds, the 20-20-20 works best for my soil. Will send a link to where I bought it via PM.
                          "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
                          -Richard S. Bach

Comment

Originally posted by Unfforgettable View Post
                            Guilherme The stuff I use is from Peters. They have several different kinds, the 20-20-20 works best for my soil. Will send a link to where I bought it via PM.
                            Thank you. I will check this out!

G.

Comment

I don't know much detail but I do know, where I used to self-care board my horses, they did organic hay for many years using liquid Fish Emulsion. The results were amazing. Granted, the smell for a few days wasn't pleasant if you were down-wind, but it was worth it. May be something worth poking into?
                              <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

I've used both the liquid fertilizer and fertilizer herbicide mix from tsc. That was primarily because I didn't have a spreader for dry fertilizer. It was ok, but I wasn't thrilled with the results from the combination so I went back to doing them separately. There's a few weeds... (Cough cough teaweed cough cough) that need extra herbicide saturation so individual attention is warranted. But I have to work small acreage that is carefully managed in non growing months. Now I have atow along spreader, so no more liquid fertilizer. I still use pasture pro has a herbicide though...
                                Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Most of the liquid Nitrogen I have found is a Urea type. I thought this was not a great type of Nitrogen for horse pastures. Am I wrong? Are there liquid Nitrogen products out there that are not Urea based?

Comment

Originally posted by jawa View Post
                                    Most of the liquid Nitrogen I have found is a Urea type. I thought this was not a great type of Nitrogen for horse pastures. Am I wrong? Are there liquid Nitrogen products out there that are not Urea based?
                                    I don't know about liquid, but I have heard that urea can cause founder. I used 100lbs each of lime and triple 19 on my acre or so two weekends ago and my grass is already much greener though. I have my two off that field till April, and as soon as this rain will dang stop...I am going to level and till my quarter acre area with the chain harrow and then do that one with 50lbs of each. I have them off that till April too as of this past weekend. My local Southern States said I could put them back out after one rain, but I feel better letting the urea really soak in for a couple weeks at least to dissipate and avoid hoof contact. If you find a good non urea fertilizer anywhere please share it, nowhere in my area has any!

Comment

I'd get a soil sample first, then speak with the local extension agent. I did that and I put on Trimec and CorRon --Trimec is a broad leaf herbicide and CorRon is a fertilizer.
                                      I am very hilly --but use a hand boom on the hills I can't do with the tractor --works good. Both liquid, can do in one pass. $32/acre. I buy at Helena Chemical Co where I have my soil sample tested. They give me the mix percent each year.

Comment

Originally posted by carman_liz View Post

I don't know about liquid, but I have heard that urea can cause founder. I used 100lbs each of lime and triple 19 on my acre or so two weekends ago and my grass is already much greener though. I have my two off that field till April, and as soon as this rain will dang stop...I am going to level and till my quarter acre area with the chain harrow and then do that one with 50lbs of each. I have them off that till April too as of this past weekend. My local Southern States said I could put them back out after one rain, but I feel better letting the urea really soak in for a couple weeks at least to dissipate and avoid hoof contact. If you find a good non urea fertilizer anywhere please share it, nowhere in my area has any!
                                        Urea is not a great thing to use around horses but if you follow the standard practices (which usually means keeping the horses off a fertilized pasture until you have a rain or some days pass) means the risk is minimal.

Get a soil sample. It will save you time and money. This is an absolutely true statement and of the few absolutely true statements you will ever read on this service!!!

I never cuss the rain but I will speak badly about its parentage!!!

G.

Comment

Working...
                                        X