Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Getting in and out of the pasture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting in and out of the pasture

I've got a deal with my neighbors to lease their pasture, fencing is in process but taking longer due to how rainy it has been - but happily my 2 geldings will be moving home by end of March! (been a year long process to get the deal in place and fencing installed).

So the original spot the fence guy and I talked through to have access to drive into the pasture with truck & trailer allowed me to be off the road before having to open a gate. He let me know he wanted to show me a better option for line-of sight to get in and out, but we haven't had a chance to meet as he has been there sporadically with due to weather. Yesterday I came home to find the new location with a gate already installed...and Unfortunately it means I will have to stop on our road, get out to open the gate and pull in and vice versa...While I have a horse that will be left behind in the pasture (retired/buddy horse) running loose. I worry because #1) we have some idiots on our road (not a main road thankfully) and #2 managing the buddy horse who will be excited to see us return and being one who does all this in/out alone most of the time, can't count on hubby to be around to help.
    Any tips??

This is all being paid for by the owners of the land, not me, so I really don't have any leverage on the gate going in a place we didn't discuss first -- but I am meeting with him tomorrow and will voice my concerns over it, tho probably too late.
    RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

I'd add my own u-shaped set back entry way (deep enough that you can pull into to get off the road) with t-posts and no-climb fencing. Then, theoretically, you wouldn't need his gate to be closed if you plan on frequent entry.

That way, if you find the loose horse tends to be problematic, you can also have the option to pull into the set back drive and close the road gate behind you before opening the new pasture gate.

Comment

• Original Poster

Interesting idea - It will have an electric top wire so I guess I can always tap into that to do a like temp fenced off area.
      RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

You can offer to pay for a second gate where you initially wanted it.
        Then you will have two choices, use whichever works best at any time.
        You can never have enough gates.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by paintedtrails View Post
          Interesting idea - It will have an electric top wire so I guess I can always tap into that to do a like temp fenced off area.
          That in itself has been a bit of mess with their property manager!
          I had trees cleared in our bordering land (to the tune of $1000) to allow for a 12' gate from our driveway into the pasture (as agreed to with the owner) before the fence was to be originally installed last Sept. The first fencer flaked, and then the Property Manager said that wasn't allowed (so now I get just a man-gate, nothing drive-able thru and our lease states I will replace the gate with solid fence upon termination); they agreed to provide road access, which can only be done by clearing trees off their land. That is true for either location, and I honestly can't afford that extra $3k of clearing & gravel it would run to offer to do that.
          RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

Could you lead the horse through the walk-thru gate and load in your drive?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by avjudge View Post
              Could you lead the horse through the walk-thru gate and load in your drive?
              Definitely not with a car in the driveway - ours is a long 1 car width driveway with a parking area up top that when it is dry I *might* be able to maneuver my trailer in/out of by utilizing the grass area.. I was thinking about playing with this one day with my husband so could help watch the trailer and truck around the obstacles (and the other car way out of the way)

When it is dry enough I do an option of parking the trailer up front or at least loading from the front of our property - but the problem is when wet like now - everything has standing water - I can't tear up the yard getting in and out so I want to keep it in the actual pasture.
              RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

Adding your own inset gate sounds like a good idea to me.

Comment

• Original Poster

thankfully the fence installer is going to work with the owners to make the set-back for the gate so I can pull all the way up to it before opening and be off the road. He is also concerned for my safety and is pushing them to let him move it in another 20'. The issue is apparently cost for the gravel, not the actual fence change. ARGH! :P
                  RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

You should pay for the gravel if you plan to be there a while.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm already covering adding a top line of electric to the fencing because they opted for the cheaper option that places posts 16' apart and it is a knotted wire stretched fence and they want to keep the horses off the top of it.

I had offered and originally planned on an entrance from my own driveway which we would have paid the gravel for. They said they would get me the road-side entry instead...so, IMO this on them. I don't care if there is gravel or not to drive on, but VDOT will.
                      RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

You are the only one who benefits, and you alone know if what you are gaining is worth it or not. I don't know VDOT from my elbow; do they really care if a 'driveway' is grass/dirt v. gravel?

Comment

I absolutely get that this is not an ideal situation, but a really low-budget option might be to ask the fencer to install a hitching post inside the pasture, kind of close to the gate but with plenty of room for you to be pulling in and getting done what you need to. Or even a single extra tall extra heavy duty pole where you could install a tie-ring. That way if push came to shove and your second horse is being too crazy, you've got at least some way of securing him while you go in and out.

As I've been on my farm the last two and a half years, I keep thinking of the phrase "want, settle, get." Meaning I often go with the absolute bare minimum of what I need, and plan for that "settle" and "want" improvement later on. I'd hate to see you shelling out a lot more money at this point when you're not even sure how well this is going to work out.
                          I've never understood the insult calling a person a "fruitbat." It's not much of an insult to the person. More often than not, the persons behavior proves it to be more of an insult to the fruitbat!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TMares View Post
                            . I don't know VDOT from my elbow; do they really care if a 'driveway' is grass/dirt v. gravel?
                            Virginia Dept of Transportation. Apparently they will care if you add an entrance to/from a road that they maintain that doesn't have gravel...but for me I don't care. I camp and have no problem driving on grass. If they don't put in gravel now, they may be forced to in the future by VDOT and that is what the fencer is trying to convey to them.

ladymcts Exactly! I don't know how long this lease will last (hopefully till we are ready to move in many years) and not only am I funding the hot wire, but I'm putting in a shelter that I'm basically forfeiting when we leave - so just trying avoid spending more than I have to on something that isn't "mine". As far as the hitching post - yes, I thought of that too or tying him in the shelter which won't be far from the gate. Still requires leaving the truck and trailer on the road while I go do it, which is what we are trying to avoid by moving the gate further into the pasture to at least giving me the room to pull in and stop and handle the 2nd horse.
                            RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

Originally posted by ladymcts View Post
                              I absolutely get that this is not an ideal situation, but a really low-budget option might be to ask the fencer to install a hitching post inside the pasture, kind of close to the gate but with plenty of room for you to be pulling in and getting done what you need to. Or even a single extra tall extra heavy duty pole where you could install a tie-ring. That way if push came to shove and your second horse is being too crazy, you've got at least some way of securing him while you go in and out.

As I've been on my farm the last two and a half years, I keep thinking of the phrase "want, settle, get." Meaning I often go with the absolute bare minimum of what I need, and plan for that "settle" and "want" improvement later on. I'd hate to see you shelling out a lot more money at this point when you're not even sure how well this is going to work out.
                              Agreed. For me, my road is quiet enough that I could park my big 3H GN with LQ on the road, go in and catch a horse and stick it in a panel pen or tie it, then open the gate, pull in, and close the gate. But we don't know how busy this road is or not. For me, I would be fine with a road frontage gate close to the road, NBD, but only the OP knows if this is manageable or not.
                              paintedtrails I know that the VADOT is, lol, I just was surprised they care about some entrance to a field. I'm in AL though, where you're lucky if they care about anything.

Comment

• Original Poster

Granted I'm not a main road, but is a 35 mph road with windy curves.... the field entrance is on the most straight part with good visibility from either direction, but we do have some notorious jerks/idiots that drive way too fast on it sadly. Those few are my worry!
                                RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

Working...
                                X