Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

barn size too big

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

barn size too big

Hello,

My husband and I have been looking for a while now for horse properties. I plan on having one or maybe two at most horses. I would prefer something with the infrastructure already in place and enough land to be able to ride outside of a ring. We have looked at many properties. It is VERY hard to find what I am describing at a price that is doable.

Now we have come across a property that is 30 acres and has about 10 of it I would guess fenced. There is a small house, which is fine, and a gigantic (4000 sf) barn. It was a boarding barn at one point and has 26 stalls. With me only really needing a small barn, is this just too big to manage? What would you do with all of the additional stalls? I don't mind just leaving them, but I want a clean barn and minimal critters. Is this just too big? The land is perfect, and as I said, it has been incredibly hard to find something with the acreage, a decent commuting distance into town, already has the infrastructure in place, and is a price that is affordable. Would you proceed?

If the Only worrisome thing is the big barn ???!!

IMHO ~ one should snap the property up !

A large sound barn is always Helpful for :

storage .... for EVERYTHING !
    indoor riding / ground work
    isolation if need be

* most of the time one finds horse / home property

trailer trash home with huge nice barn
    or
    million dollar home with a shitty shed

Good Luck ~ Jingles for your move wherever you decide to land.

* always best to find a property with the main structures as re-modeling is less stressful then building from scratch ...
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

boy do I wish I had that problem! My barn was perfect when I moved in, but we've outgrown it and are looking to do a second expansion.... But not everyone collects horses, or gets into sporthorse breeding.

If the only problem is the barn size, and the property and price are perfect, I wouldn't hesitate.
      You could use the empty stalls for hay (much easier to keep hay on a ground floor, not in a loft), shavings (loose or baled), convert one into a "blanket room" (hang drying racks on one wall, shelves for Rubbermaid tubs for cleaned/stored blankets, and blanket bars to hang coolers, scrims, etc), if there's no workshop, convert a few into one (you'll acquire lots of power tools, attachments, spare parts, etc. Much easier to have a large area to store and use them).

You could even modify them and offer them as storage units (if you're willing to have a small handful of strangers have access to your property. I wouldn't want that, but I've heard of people doing that (storing cars, RVs, boats,
      etc) and making a fair bit of side hustle money.
      A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Original Poster

Yes, I am worried that it will take too much upkeep, that areas not used will be full of cobwebs and mice which brings snakes unless cleaned regularly, the cost of heating it (not sure if there is anything in already in place), lighting it inside and out, and things like siding/paint or reroofing it would be a major expense, etc. There is a large tack room, wash station, office, and a hayloft that spans the entire upstairs of the barn. I will probably not use 90% of it and am worried about the cost of maintaining it and the time in keeping it up. I don't want to start a boarding business, so I am just wondering if having 26 stalls when I will need at most 2 is just too big to manage. My husband will be helpful, but the workshop is more his hobby, so this will primarily fall on me to keep up.

Comment

Buy it !!

Sell some of the stalls you don't want and free up that space for storage. Trailers, lawn equipment, hobbies...all of that can happen in that space.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions ElementFarm. I wouldn't call the property perfect, but it is the closest we have found to fitting our needs. It has been sitting vacant for a while, and all of it needs a LOT of work, which is why the price fits our budget. With all the other things this property will need, I am worried about the expense of taking on such as large barn. We are generally pretty meticulous about maintaining things. We talked about maybe boarding and that sort of thing, but we don't want the people coming and going. I'm leaning towards moving forward, but I thought maybe there were things I hadn't thought of that would stop someone more knowledgeable than myself from moving forward.

Comment

I understand your ^ concerns .... perhaps ask a horse friend to go ‘look’ and critic / problem solve ... usage and upkeep ideas.

A large barn does not require you to have more horses or boarders or have storage renters ....
              just for you and yours ..

I, honestly believe a large barn offering offering space for tractor / trailer storage if need be ...
              winter turnout
              a round pen for ground work

cobwebs and snakes and other critters will happen regardless of the size of a barn just part of equine activities

While I commend your idea of a clean barn ...

I encourage you to focus on your horse fun and let some of the cobweb control go.

ENJOY !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wisteria View Post
                Yes, I am worried that it will take too much upkeep, that areas not used will be full of cobwebs and mice which brings snakes unless cleaned regularly, the cost of heating it (not sure if there is anything in already in place), lighting it inside and out, and things like siding/paint or reroofing it would be a major expense, etc. There is a large tack room, wash station, office, and a hayloft that spans the entire upstairs of the barn. I will probably not use 90% of it and am worried about the cost of maintaining it and the time in keeping it up. I don't want to start a boarding business, so I am just wondering if having 26 stalls when I will need at most 2 is just too big to manage. My husband will be helpful, but the workshop is more his hobby, so this will primarily fall on me to keep up.
                And taxes on structure/assets you don't need or will use.
                Does make more sense to pass that one up.

Still, for the right price, why not, if there is nothing else that will work for you?

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks TMares! I didn't know there would be a market for the stalls. I think this would work out! Much easier to maintain the open areas, and this property will definitely need some equipment to keep it up. Let me ask this - would it bother anyone here that a murderer lived on the property prior and that he burned his victim out on the back of this land? I've gotten mixed reactions from friends when I tell them this little piece of info. It really doesn't bother me, but if we ever have to sell, I am wondering if it would be a major drawback. I have the feeling that is one of the reasons it is not selling and is currently below market.

Comment

What region are you looking in? I only ask because the facility my retiree just moved out of (because it's for sale) sounds exactly like what you're looking for, it's in the Cincinnati, OH (Loveland) area.

Comment

Original Poster

I am in central Virginia. Here is the Trulia link.

https://www.trulia.com/p/va/chesterf...1#lil-mediaTab

Comment

Original Poster

This link starts with the first picture. For some reason the prior link started halfway through.

https://www.trulia.com/p/va/chesterf...0#lil-mediaTab

Comment

If you only are considering having 1 horse it may be much cheaper and easier to find a really nice boarding situation and not worry about upkeep of a farm, farm equipment, and all else that comes with it. Board and keep looking for a small m
                          easily manageable property.

They don't show the interior of the house?, from just the one picture of the interior of the barn I can see cob webs hanging from the rafters, the outside looks like it needs repair. Fence needs paint and there is a lot of fencing. You can see that it has bee mowed, that many acres for 1 or 2 horses is too much and too much work.

You are correct in thinking it will be a lot of maintenance and you will need farm equipment to keep it that way; i.e. tractor, pasture groomer, bush-hog.

From just the pictures, just looks like a lot to maintain, a swimming pool, deck that needs re-staining, barn needs repairs, maybe some parts need new roof, it needs repair and cleaning, house interior???, fence needs repainting, property is lovely but I think if you aren't willing to invest the time and money for fixing it up and keeping it up I would pass.

If you don't own a horse now there is no rush, find a small property and build the barn that will suit 1 or 2 horses and enough land to fence that will meet smaller horse needs and a house that will suit your needs and have better resale.

Comment

Lovely place that, but yes, maintenance there will be a full time job.
                            Those kinds of wood structures keep needing labor intensive repairs very often, even when not in use, or they start falling down.

With all those ponds, will water regulations be harsh, where you can't use some of that land?

Maybe check with your local Farm Service agency, request their maps, see how that is listed, if you can graze by that water or has to be fenced with a certain set-back distance, etc.

Comment

For those who have done this before, are the stalls shown in the pics the type that would be worthwhile to disassemble and sell? They’re not the usual freestanding type or the metal kit type that I’m familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by wisteria View Post
                                Thanks TMares! I didn't know there would be a market for the stalls. I think this would work out! Much easier to maintain the open areas, and this property will definitely need some equipment to keep it up. Let me ask this - would it bother anyone here that a murderer lived on the property prior and that he burned his victim out on the back of this land? I've gotten mixed reactions from friends when I tell them this little piece of info. It really doesn't bother me, but if we ever have to sell, I am wondering if it would be a major drawback. I have the feeling that is one of the reasons it is not selling and is currently below market.
                                How long has it currently been on the market? How well publicized was the murder and disposal on the body?

I believe in many states it is law that you have to inform buyers of things like this. There is no doubt that for some people it would be an issue.
                                "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

Original Poster

Hi Bluey, the ponds aren't so much of the problem as the creek that runs along the back of the property. The creek creates a 100-year flood plan for the whole back portion of the land. While I am free to use the land, there are restrictions on what I can do with it. I can't build any structures or put fencing back there, which is fine, since there is more than enough land fenced and the other structures are out of the flood plain. I would use that portion of the land for riding horses and ATVs, etc.

I do think the barn is too close to the property line and wouldn't pass proper setbacks by today's standards, but it must be grandfathered in because it is listed with the county as a permitted structure.

Comment

I rescind my two previous posts ...

I visualized an empty barn with stalls running down one side with Lots of open space.

it is not ^ ....

imho ...TOO many maintenance issues with this set up - inside and outside

I would pass on this property and continue to look •

Good Luck ~

Comment

there are several things that concern me but primary is Why is that one pond in the center of the property Lime Green ? Appears to be contaminated, possibly there is a septic system running into that pond

Other things none of the structures appear to be of any value so is the land worth the asking price?

Comment

Original Poster

It has been on the market a while. The murder was a big deal here. The guy killed his ex-wife's boyfriend and shot her (pregnant) multiple times at a different location, but she managed to survive. He then brought the boyfriend back to this place and tried to burn the body. He then got his mother, brother and a friend involved in a murder for hire situation where he wanted them to go kill the witnesses to the murder. He is doing 2 life sentences plus 40+ years.

Here in Virginia, you don't have to disclose that sort of thing. Virginia is a buyer beware state, and the onus is on the buyer to do their homework. It doesn't really bother me, but I think, based on the mixed reactions from friends, that it could definitely be an issue for some people. I wouldn't expect to have to sell it, but I do a lot of real estate investing and having an out is always a consideration before purchasing.

Comment

Working...
                                        X