Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Link for Search

Since our sidebar with the Search feature has been dealing with poltergeists, and tech support may be a little wonky, here's a direct link to the Advanced Search feature for relative convenience:

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/advanced_search
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Florida Living

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by btswass View Post
    Are horses smart enough to go in on their own during a bad storm?
    not really, they often seek shelter in natural settings thus standing next a tree could be hit by lightening ....none of ours have been hit but I have seen horses knocked to the ground by lightening striking pipe fencing

Also several of the horses that I took care of while in college once they were retired from showing turned out to pasture were kill by lightening when

Comment

• Original Poster

So are horses more likely to get hit by lightening at night or during the day? For people that work during the day you can’t just run home to bring them in how do you deal with that?
      Hudson Valley's Premier Tack Shop www.argentoeq.com/

Life is happening for us not to us

Comment

Most of the storms are in the afternoon, but they can pop up at any time. I just have a run-in and my mare always heads inside when the storms start. Eventually, I'd love to build a small concrete block barn. It's a pain each year to make sure I have a place to take her if a hurricane hits.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Belair View Post
          Most of the storms are in the afternoon, but they can pop up at any time. I just have a run-in and my mare always heads inside when the storms start. Eventually, I'd love to build a small concrete block barn. It's a pain each year to make sure I have a place to take her if a hurricane hits.

We’re planning to build a 32x36 concrete barn. Will be more expensive but I’d rather hold off on an arena and have them safe in the barn and not have to worry about evacuating.

Comment

We moved to Florida last summer, we spent about a year looking at different areas and ended up buying near Bushnell. It’s about a hour to Tampa, Orlando and Ocala we chose the area because of the proximity to the cities for work. Prior we lived in the Midwest and the northeast I had always said I would never move to FL due to the summers but between polar vortex’s and increased temperatures in the summer I realized there would be fewer overall weeks of miserable weather.

We have three horses on ten acers I just started feeding hay about two weeks ago, because we picked up hay in the field the price wasn’t outrageous BUT I have easy keepers with no health issues so that wouldn’t work for everyone. I was told to buy about a months worth of hay at a time due to mold loss and also if you feed any grains that’s prone to spoil to only keep a weeks worth.

The big negatives so far have been my mare rolled on a fire ant hill (vet visit & steroids), opening my front door and finding a coral snake eating a garter snake there and the armadillos.
            The great horse community, the educational opportunities & shows, and the diversity of people makes up for a lot. Also we are very lucky to have had a breeze nearly everyday last summer which made being outside bearable- not pleasant but bearable. The softer ground means my horses are now all barefoot, I haven’t had any skin or foot fungus issues. We have had no ticks and no horseflies along with minimal other bugs but our horse community is all like minded in horse care, manure management etc which was just luck.
            Re lightning and hurricanes of course I worry but having been in a area with a lot of tornadoes and flooding I decided there’s only so much you can do I take reasonable precautions and then don’t allow my mind to overwhelm me with “what if’s”

My neighbor works in hotel construction (iirc a job site foreman) he said part of the reason they chose this area was the relatively easier drive to neighboring states for jobs. Idk if that would factor in for you but it also was a consideration for us.

Comment

Can’t find the original source, but I think this was originally a joke blog entitled Diary of a Northerner Living in Florida
              //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

April 30th:
              Florida is fantastic! Just got here and love it already. Now this is a state that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

May 14th:
              Really heating up. Got to 89 today. Not a problem, live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sun worshipper.

June 5th:
              Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. NO MORE SHOVELING SNOW EITHER! Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 1st:
              The temperature hasn't been below 90 all week, not even at night. Where are those ocean breezes we heard about, still seems hot. Getting used to it will take a while, I guess. I sure miss my LP collection, though.I'll have to remember not to leave anything made out of plastic in my car. Got one of those fuzzy steering wheel covers, Cheaper than the burn ointment for my hands. I always wondered what burnt flesh smelled like.

July 15th:
              Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.). Missed two days of work, what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though: got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 25th:
              Ocean breezes, my ass. Hot is hot!! The home air conditioner is on the fritz and AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts. Only hope for a break in the heat would be a hurricane.

July 30th:
              Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. Swatting the swamp mosquitos that are as big as B-52's. $2,500 in darn house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

Aug 4th:
              100 degrees. Finally got the air conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to about 90. The electric bill is almost as much as the house payment. And two old lady drivers almost ran me off the road. I hate this state.

Aug 8th:
              If another wise jerk cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to tear his head off. Damn heat! By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like roasted Chicken !!

Aug 10th:
              The weather report might as well be a damn recording: Hot and sunny. It's been too hot for two #@*& months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. And who came up with the statement "it maybe hot, but at least you don't have to shovel it" should die from heat exhaustion. Doesn't it ever rain in this God forsaken place??

Aug 14th:
              Welcome to Hell!!! Temperature got to 102 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the windshield out of the Lincoln. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $2,500 house payment to bail me out of jail.

Aug 30th:
              Worst day of the summer. I'm not leaving the house. The monsoon rains finally came and all they did is to make it muggier than hell and drove the damned roaches out of the ground. I wasn't aware they could fly!The Lincoln is now floating somewhere in the Caribbean with its new $500 windshield. That does it, we're moving back to New York where all you have to worry about is getting mugged, I hope this state breaks in half and floats to Cuba.
              Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are.

Comment

So about lightening. People seem to be saying they don’t turn out at night because of storms but I thought the storms occurred more in the afternoons? We plan on having stalls lead right out to the paddocks. Are horses smart enough to go in on their own during a bad storm?
                From what I've learned, the biggest risk is when you have them out in a field that has just one big tree. They huddle under that one tree, which of course is a magnet for lightning. If the pastures have multiple trees, it's not as big of a risk. This is just what I've found from hours of research so, take it with a grain of salt.
                I agree with the person that said they'll usually choose to take shelter under a tree before the stall, even with free access to the stall.

During rainy season (summer), yeah the storms and showers are *usually* between 1-4pm, but they can pop up any time. No one told me, before we moved, that "rainy season" actually meant "thunderstorm with insane lightning season." That first storm was terrifying.

In the dry season (winter), rain is rare, but at least where I am, when it rains that once per month or once per six weeks, it RAINS. For like 12+ hours straight, down-pouring. The winter rains are usually just rain, not as much thunder/lightning.
                Custom tack racks!
                www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

I lost one of my favorite cows to a lightning strike. She was under a big fairly isolated oak tree in the higher part of the pasture. After we lost her, the other cows never grazed the grass under that tree. It was always long.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for continued info.

Good news is that I sold my business! That’s a huge weight off my chest and one step closer to Florida.
                    Bad news is houses with land near Wellington area are beyond expensive its crazy. I know many people mentioned other parts of the state but thats where our family is (Jupiter and Delray) and we really want to be near them.

For those who live in a horse community how do you like it? We’re interested in a house in Caloosa. Seems like it would be really nice to be able to go for a trail ride without having to trailer out and having arenas to use without needing to build our own and maintain it. Living with like minded people and being able to walk down the road without idiots flying past me sounds lovely.

For those in south Florida is it even possible to get a halfway decent house with 4-5 acres and barn for less than $500k? Doesn’t seem like it...unless for some reason a lot more properties go for sale after WEF ends. It’s insane how much home prices have increased in just the past few years. They’ve pretty much doubled

Comment

HI. I used to live in Stuart. There is a very nice equine community in Palm City, just west of Stuart and just north of Jupiter. Easy commute to Wellington also. It's in Martin County, so IIRC stricter development rules.....
                      On another note, Caloosa was very wet when I lived in Stuart (and I also lived in western Palm Beach County, for a while). Be sure the land you are considering has good drainage. Remember winter is our dry season.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by lorilu View Post
                        HI. I used to live in Stuart. There is a very nice equine community in Palm City, just west of Stuart and just north of Jupiter. Easy commute to Wellington also. It's in Martin County, so IIRC stricter development rules.....
                        On another note, Caloosa was very wet when I lived in Stuart (and I also lived in western Palm Beach County, for a while). Be sure the land you are considering has good drainage. Remember winter is our dry season.
                        Good info thanks. We have been looking in Martin county as well. We’re heading down mid April to spend a week driving around. When would you consider “winter”/dry season ending? Not until June?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Dressagelvr View Post
                          Can’t find the original source, but I think this was originally a joke blog entitled Diary of a Northerner Living in Florida
                          //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

April 30th:
                          Florida is fantastic! Just got here and love it already. Now this is a state that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

May 14th:
                          Really heating up. Got to 89 today. Not a problem, live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sun worshipper.

June 5th:
                          Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. NO MORE SHOVELING SNOW EITHER! Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 1st:
                          The temperature hasn't been below 90 all week, not even at night. Where are those ocean breezes we heard about, still seems hot. Getting used to it will take a while, I guess. I sure miss my LP collection, though.I'll have to remember not to leave anything made out of plastic in my car. Got one of those fuzzy steering wheel covers, Cheaper than the burn ointment for my hands. I always wondered what burnt flesh smelled like.

July 15th:
                          Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.). Missed two days of work, what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though: got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 25th:
                          Ocean breezes, my ass. Hot is hot!! The home air conditioner is on the fritz and AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts. Only hope for a break in the heat would be a hurricane.

July 30th:
                          Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. Swatting the swamp mosquitos that are as big as B-52's. $2,500 in darn house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

Aug 4th:
                          100 degrees. Finally got the air conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to about 90. The electric bill is almost as much as the house payment. And two old lady drivers almost ran me off the road. I hate this state.

Aug 8th:
                          If another wise jerk cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to tear his head off. Damn heat! By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like roasted Chicken !!

Aug 10th:
                          The weather report might as well be a damn recording: Hot and sunny. It's been too hot for two #@*& months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. And who came up with the statement "it maybe hot, but at least you don't have to shovel it" should die from heat exhaustion. Doesn't it ever rain in this God forsaken place??

Aug 14th:
                          Welcome to Hell!!! Temperature got to 102 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the windshield out of the Lincoln. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $2,500 house payment to bail me out of jail.

Aug 30th:
                          Worst day of the summer. I'm not leaving the house. The monsoon rains finally came and all they did is to make it muggier than hell and drove the damned roaches out of the ground. I wasn't aware they could fly!The Lincoln is now floating somewhere in the Caribbean with its new $500 windshield. That does it, we're moving back to New York where all you have to worry about is getting mugged, I hope this state breaks in half and floats to Cuba.
                          The difference up north is when our furnace finally dies its $10,000 to fix it and there is no getting around it by dealing with the cold because then all the pipes will freeze and burst. A couple years ago came home to what sounded like a gushing waterfall in our basement. On Valentine’s Day. Still say I’d rather deal with it being too hot than too cold.

No frozen pipes, no cracked windshield from ice, no digging out of snow, no slipping on ice, no frozen water buckets or frozen hoses, no cold hands and feet and noses and everything, no hibernating and getting fat all winter, no mud. I could go on. I know there are plenty of cons to living in Florida but right now the pros outweigh the cons

Comment

Good info thanks. We have been looking in Martin county as well. We’re heading down mid April to spend a week driving around. When would you consider “winter”/dry season ending? Not until June?
                            April is the driest month historically.. It starts getting rainier in May. Here is a graph. If you really want to see if the land is well drained, check back at the end of the summer, say in August. Scroll down the page a bit. Lots of info on this page.... https://www.weather-us.com/en/florid...-beach-climate

Comment

You sound pretty set, and certainly winter in Florida is FAR preferable to the NE. (My parents are in Maine. I know of what I speak.) However, for what it's worth, we have an "off season" here too--summer. You may think you understand heat/humidity. You have NO IDEA. You may think you understand wet, and bugs--you don't. I lived in Gainesville for seven years, then southwest FL (same latitude as WPB) for 8, and now am thankfully back in the northern part of the state. You couldn't pay me to go back below Ocala. Between the sand and the wet, their feet fall apart in the summer (good luck keeping shoes on). From July-September it's too hot to ride unless you ride at night (when it will still be 90 degrees, just not with direct sun) or have a covered arena. When I say too hot to ride, I mean both you and the horse are in imminent danger of heat stroke from walking. Heat indexes are regularly around 115-120. For a non-sweater, increase that danger about a thousand-fold.

I've had a $500 vet bill for a horse who was bitten in the face by a snake in his pasture.

Yes, horses frequently get struck by lighting. They can also be injured when lightning strikes near them-- a friend's mare was not directly struck, but was in the pasture, and the charge traveled through the ground and shattered the mare's coffin bones. I've never met one yet that was smart enough to go to shelter on its own, and lightning strikes outside of the rainy area. A horse that reliably goes inside during rain can still get struck.

In all honesty, I've met a number of northerner horse people who moved here....and wish they hadn't. I'd strongly encourage you to plan to spend time here in August, before buying anything. What looks great in February is VERY different in the midst of a Florida summer.

Comment

Thanks for continued info.

Good news is that I sold my business! That’s a huge weight off my chest and one step closer to Florida.
                                Bad news is houses with land near Wellington area are beyond expensive its crazy. I know many people mentioned other parts of the state but thats where our family is (Jupiter and Delray) and we really want to be near them.

For those who live in a horse community how do you like it? We’re interested in a house in Caloosa. Seems like it would be really nice to be able to go for a trail ride without having to trailer out and having arenas to use without needing to build our own and maintain it. Living with like minded people and being able to walk down the road without idiots flying past me sounds lovely.

For those in south Florida is it even possible to get a halfway decent house with 4-5 acres and barn for less than $500k? Doesn’t seem like it...unless for some reason a lot more properties go for sale after WEF ends. It’s insane how much home prices have increased in just the past few years. They’ve pretty much doubled
                                Congrats on selling the business!

We looked at a farm in Loxahatchee with a nice 4/2.5 house, 9 acres and a 6 stall barn. It was listed for $600-something but sold for $565k and it was turnkey. The same place in the village of Wellington would be double or more, though.
                                We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                -PaulaEdwina

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TBKate View Post
                                  You sound pretty set, and certainly winter in Florida is FAR preferable to the NE. (My parents are in Maine. I know of what I speak.) However, for what it's worth, we have an "off season" here too--summer. You may think you understand heat/humidity. You have NO IDEA. You may think you understand wet, and bugs--you don't. I lived in Gainesville for seven years, then southwest FL (same latitude as WPB) for 8, and now am thankfully back in the northern part of the state. You couldn't pay me to go back below Ocala. Between the sand and the wet, their feet fall apart in the summer (good luck keeping shoes on). From July-September it's too hot to ride unless you ride at night (when it will still be 90 degrees, just not with direct sun) or have a covered arena. When I say too hot to ride, I mean both you and the horse are in imminent danger of heat stroke from walking. Heat indexes are regularly around 115-120. For a non-sweater, increase that danger about a thousand-fold.

I've had a $500 vet bill for a horse who was bitten in the face by a snake in his pasture.

Yes, horses frequently get struck by lighting. They can also be injured when lightning strikes near them-- a friend's mare was not directly struck, but was in the pasture, and the charge traveled through the ground and shattered the mare's coffin bones. I've never met one yet that was smart enough to go to shelter on its own, and lightning strikes outside of the rainy area. A horse that reliably goes inside during rain can still get struck.

In all honesty, I've met a number of northerner horse people who moved here....and wish they hadn't. I'd strongly encourage you to plan to spend time here in August, before buying anything. What looks great in February is VERY different in the midst of a Florida summer.
                                  I guess it comes down to how important it is for us to be close to family and friends. All our family and friends are in the west palm area. We’ve never lived closer than two hours from family and it gets lonely. We’ve spent 6 years in the hudson valley and we still don’t have any close friends. I’m sure I would much prefer north Florida for the weather and the much cheaper homes and better area for horses but I’m pretty set on staying close to family. I think it will make our lives more enjoyable and is worth the cons of the area.

Comment

Another vote for Central Florida vs South Florida. Way cheaper. Not as bad in the summer. Many accessible show venues if that's your thing. Traffic continues to get worse but still WAY better than South Florida, especially near the coast. Easier horse keeping. Just an hour and a half from the beach. And a quick shot down the turnpike to visit family.

Comment

We moved to be closer to family in the end it's not all we thought it would be . I'd say being within 1-2 hours of family would be plenty close; however, traffic in FL can be a pita so might need to factor that in.

Also, in the Southern parts of FL there can be issues with gators, so try to avoid properties with ponds or near water, not as much a threat to horses as small pets, though large animals can be at risk also.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by happilyretired View Post
                                        Another vote for Central Florida vs South Florida. Way cheaper. Not as bad in the summer. Many accessible show venues if that's your thing. Traffic continues to get worse but still WAY better than South Florida, especially near the coast. Easier horse keeping. Just an hour and a half from the beach. And a quick shot down the turnpike to visit family.
                                        My husband won’t live further than an hour from the beach. And no further than an hour from Jupiter which would put our other family in Delray close to 2 hours away. Preferably we’d like to stay in the middle between Jupiter and Delray. Also better jobs in that area. There’s got to be a reason prices are half as much in Ocala...we can’t get stuck with what we have now which is rural with very limited job opportunities. I think thats all Ocala would be

Comment

Still say I’d rather deal with it being too hot than too cold.

No frozen pipes, no cracked windshield from ice, no digging out of snow, no slipping on ice, no frozen water buckets or frozen hoses, no cold hands and feet and noses and everything, no hibernating and getting fat all winter, no mud. I could go on. I know there are plenty of cons to living in Florida but right now the pros outweigh the cons
                                          Completely agree with this. I detest winter, personally. It annoyed me to no end when people went all coo-coo when I'd say I wanted to move to Florida. "It's so hot, it's so humid, the bugs, oh my!"
                                          Look, everyone deals with temps differently, and if you'd rather be hot than cold, then go for it. It's really. Not. That. Bad. In my opinion, anyway. In one place, like Ohio, you have a dumb-hot-humid summer, a horrendous winter with snow+ice+below freezing temps, and a cold, wet spring with knee-deep mud. In the other place, you have a dumb-hot-humid summer that's a bit longer, and an absolutely gorgeous winter and spring. (Autumn no longer exists, really). I'm absolutely LOVING the latter. Hands. Down.
                                          All three summers I've been here I've had no problem riding 5-6 days per week all summer without a covered, but I am a bit north of where you're looking. I stick to the formula:
                                          Real temperature (°F) + Humidity %
                                          <120 = safe to ride
                                          120-150 = ride with caution
                                          >150 = don't ride

The sand and wet are a bit of a downside for their feet through the summer, but none of mine, at least, have completely fallen apart. Turpentine, Coppertox, and Iodine help a ton.

I saw a nice property on Zillow in Okeechobee the other day. 3/3, 6 acres, barn, $499k. An hour to Jupiter.
                                          Last edited by mmeqcenter; Feb. 6, 2020, 07:18 PM.
                                          Custom tack racks!
                                          www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

Working...
                                          X