Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Florida Living

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in Beverly Hills, FL (40min south west of Ocala). My Knabstrupper stallion is actually located in Newberry, Fl near Gainsville. I moved from the DC metro area about 14 years ago.

Bugs, snakes and humidity. The land is much flatter here too. Gopher holes aren't fun so watch out for those when riding your horses. Hay prices aren't cheap.

I do like that I live about 30 min from the Gulf but you can't swim there in Crystal River because of the bacteria in the water. However, the springs are nice and that is where we go. They get MAJORLY crowed though because of tourists and not being able to swim in the Gulf nearby.

Ocala traffic sucks but I can't wait until the WEC is done and that will be a great horse addition.
    Draumr Hesta Farm
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
    Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

Originally posted by btswass View Post
      For those with super sensitive to bugs horses how do you deal with that? Mine wears a full fly sheet with neck and belly plus mask plus leg wraps. Obviously it would be too hot in summer to do that. But I’ve never seen such a sensitive horse. A single fly near him and he’s throwing a fit. And when he stomps he angry stomps. Would it be cool enough at night In summer for fly sheets?
      Many keep inside during the day with a fan.

I’ve seen people fly sheet 24/7. It’s so hot they’re going to be sweaty anyway, so they don’t consider a big deal. Overnight might be not get sweaty if clipped. Luckily mine aren't sensitive and stay out 24/7 with no fly sheet. Lots of fly spray, and my pastures have lots of trees for shade.
      Custom tack racks!
      www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

Big industrial fans mounted inside the run-in sheds and barn also help blow some of the bugs away.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! We’re struggling with the job first or house first scenario. Think we might be leaning toward job first. DH can stay with aunt in Jupiter while both job and house hunting. Though we’re leaning more toward land and building. Any decent houses are too big and expensive for us. Building from scratch was always our original plan.
          Seems like some decent land closer to Okeechobee. 20 acre lots going for around $250k which isn’t terrible. 20 acres would definitely cut down on the amount of hay we’d have to buy if any.
          He’s adamant he doesn’t want to be further than an hour from the coat. Both for beach access and job opportunities.

In NY its hot and humid in the summer and cold rainy and miserable in the winter. I’d much rather hide from the heat in the summer and actually be able to enjoy the other half of the year.

For those with super sensitive to bugs horses how do you deal with that? Mine wears a full fly sheet with neck and belly plus mask plus leg wraps. Obviously it would be too hot in summer to do that. But I’ve never seen such a sensitive horse. A single fly near him and he’s throwing a fit. And when he stomps he angry stomps. Would it be cool enough at night In summer for fly sheets?
          DH and I are spending a "test drive" bit of winter in West Palm this year - my horses are in Loxahatchee at White Fences and we rented a house 35 minutes away in WPB that is a block from the water (DH is a water sports / boating fan and we both love the beach.) We actually had a great dinner out in Jupiter earlier this week! We've only been here a matter of weeks and have already agreed we will be spending winters here from now on. I see quite a lot of both raw land and new (planned) development on my way out to the barn each day. And lots and lots of small horse farms.

Now, there is obviously a difference between how pleasant it is here in winter vs. August so that is something to think about if you are moving to a new full time residence. We have significant heat and humidity at home so we are used to that, but I'd certainly plan for night turnout in summer if I were here year round. Most barns seem to have the nice big industrial fans running in the stalls and aisles, and many have really lovely covered arenas which obviously helps in terms of protecting from the sun as well as rain.

We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
          -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! We’re struggling with the job first or house first scenario. Think we might be leaning toward job first. DH can stay with aunt in Jupiter while both job and house hunting. Though we’re leaning more toward land and building. Any decent houses are too big and expensive for us. Building from scratch was always our original plan.
            Seems like some decent land closer to Okeechobee. 20 acre lots going for around $250k which isn’t terrible. 20 acres would definitely cut down on the amount of hay we’d have to buy if any.
            He’s adamant he doesn’t want to be further than an hour from the coat. Both for beach access and job opportunities.

In NY its hot and humid in the summer and cold rainy and miserable in the winter. I’d much rather hide from the heat in the summer and actually be able to enjoy the other half of the year.

Horses that are sensitive to bugs are miserable here. My coach bubble wraps her stud - he's always in a fly sheet/mask/boots, fans in his stall, stall picked multiple times per day. He's still miserable. He's more miserable without his fly gear. The flies never die here. They just hibernate when it gets a little colder at night, and come roaring back during the day.

Other fun things we deal with: summer sores, anhydrosis, fungus, mold. Humidity in the summer means you have to ride early in the morning. It doesn't really cool down at night - by the coast you get a breeze, which helps. Inland is different. I'm between Ocala and Gainesville. There's a reason they call it "The Swamp".

Winters are great, though. And you're never too far from a show or a good trainer. And Florida is still relatively cheap on other fronts (not hay, though) - depending where you live. And no state income tax - thumbs up from me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post

DH and I are spending a "test drive" bit of winter in West Palm this year - my horses are in Loxahatchee at White Fences and we rented a house 35 minutes away in WPB that is a block from the water (DH is a water sports / boating fan and we both love the beach.) We actually had a great dinner out in Jupiter earlier this week! We've only been here a matter of weeks and have already agreed we will be spending winters here from now on. I see quite a lot of both raw land and new (planned) development on my way out to the barn each day. And lots and lots of small horse farms.

Now, there is obviously a difference between how pleasant it is here in winter vs. August so that is something to think about if you are moving to a new full time residence. We have significant heat and humidity at home so we are used to that, but I'd certainly plan for night turnout in summer if I were here year round. Most barns seem to have the nice big industrial fans running in the stalls and aisles, and many have really lovely covered arenas which obviously helps in terms of protecting from the sun as well as rain.
              Yea we're really in love with that area. Definitely where we plan on moving and both have family in that area as well.

In terms of summer heat I'm either going to have to hide from the cold or hide from the heat half the year. I'd rather hide from the heat. We don't have the option to spend only winters in florida. Though hopefully one day we can have a place out west (thinking Montana) to spend our summers at.
              Hudson Valley's Premier Tack Shop www.argentoeq.com/

Life is happening for us not to us

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Mersidoats View Post

Horses that are sensitive to bugs are miserable here. My coach bubble wraps her stud - he's always in a fly sheet/mask/boots, fans in his stall, stall picked multiple times per day. He's still miserable. He's more miserable without his fly gear. The flies never die here. They just hibernate when it gets a little colder at night, and come roaring back during the day.

Other fun things we deal with: summer sores, anhydrosis, fungus, mold. Humidity in the summer means you have to ride early in the morning. It doesn't really cool down at night - by the coast you get a breeze, which helps. Inland is different. I'm between Ocala and Gainesville. There's a reason they call it "The Swamp".

Winters are great, though. And you're never too far from a show or a good trainer. And Florida is still relatively cheap on other fronts (not hay, though) - depending where you live. And no state income tax - thumbs up from me.
                I'll definitely be spending a lot of money on bug control. Will have a fly spray misting system in the barn plus fans and will be using supplement fly control and any other products I can find to keep the flies down. In summer he'll go out at night wrapped up in his fly gear and spend his days inside where I'm confident flies will be minimal in the barn. He'll adapt. And yea we will definitely not be in land. Looking at places about 30 minutes from the coast. I actually already have a trainer in the area too. A friend from back home we rode together in high school. She's now a trainer in the area.

We live in one of the most expensive counties in the state. And in a lot of places in the country. West palm area won't be cheap but it will still be cheaper than where we are.

Comment

I'll definitely be spending a lot of money on bug control. Will have a fly spray misting system in the barn plus fans and will be using supplement fly control and any other products I can find to keep the flies down. In summer he'll go out at night wrapped up in his fly gear and spend his days inside where I'm confident flies will be minimal in the barn. He'll adapt. And yea we will definitely not be in land. Looking at places about 30 minutes from the coast. I actually already have a trainer in the area too. A friend from back home we rode together in high school. She's now a trainer in the area.

We live in one of the most expensive counties in the state. And in a lot of places in the country. West palm area won't be cheap but it will still be cheaper than where we are.
                  I sympathize with you. I moved here from NYC. My first thought was “everything is on sale in Florida!” Board in Wellington area is still cheaper than board near the city. Once you and your horses adjust, it really is like living in paradise. Sweating beats freezing.

Comment

Around the Knoxville area you will find a bunch of "half backs." These are people from colder states up North who move to FL, find that FL weather does not suit them, and then move half way back up North. Thus, the term "half back."

Most of these folks in our area come from MI or OH, but I understand you'll find them in the Carolinas, too, coming from NY and New England.

Having live in in Pensacola, Jacksonville, and Key West I would not move back to FL (even my wife from Jacksonville likes it better here). We get four, real seasons (biased towards summer) and housing, along with general cost of living, is less than FL. So consider your desires before you make a big move.

G.
                    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Mersidoats View Post

I sympathize with you. I moved here from NYC. My first thought was “everything is on sale in Florida!” Board in Wellington area is still cheaper than board near the city. Once you and your horses adjust, it really is like living in paradise. Sweating beats freezing.
                      Right?! Board here is crazy. We won't be boarding but looking forward to the cheaper cost of living in general in a much more enjoyable environment.

I loved the cold and snow when I was a kid. Now each year the winter gets harder and harder. My body does not do well in the cold. I will happily sweat

Comment

Night turnout works if they are not too sensitive to bugs- the mosquitoes are voracious at dusk, one of mine couldn’t handle it. The lightning can be a problem, I knew a couple to lose horses. I had lightning alerts on my phone and had countless midnight pajama runs to the paddocks.

a vet quoted that 25% of horses that move to south Florida stop sweating. I had 4 horses, 3 struggled with sweating, one so miserable it was hourly alcohol bathes just to be able to breathe in the stall with 3 fans on.

Hurricanes. Get a concrete barn or worry yourself ill 4 months of the year.

Hay $$$

pros: no mud! Sand drains fast (Flip side- sand clear! Friend lost a horse to sand colic). Rarely need to blanket. No ice to break. Loads of vets, farriers, horse shows, people dining in breeches everywhere. Grass year round. Kind of a ghost town after April, but that cuts down on traffic.

signed- someone who was not a beach or a hot weather person, and sold the farm (Wellington) after 2 hurricanes and a job transfer. I miss it this month, but definitely not most of the year.

Comment

OK - how likely is a person to do something stupid that everyone who grew up in Florida would know not to do, but someone from New Engand wouldnt think twice about and get themselves hurt or killed?
                          For example, I might walk out of my house in the evening to go check on a horse and not think there might be a poisonous snake or an alligator out there in the dark?
                          Or scooping up loose hay from a hay shed and maybe seeing a garter snake up North, but a rattler down south.
                          Growing up in New England, you have NE common sense. Do you develop Florida common sense?
                          I mean my inlaws found a gator in their garage and needed to be careful about pygmy rattlers in their lemon tree.
                          Being a farmer in Florida would be too much for me.
                          www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Sancudo View Post
                            Night turnout works if they are not too sensitive to bugs- the mosquitoes are voracious at dusk, one of mine couldn’t handle it. The lightning can be a problem, I knew a couple to lose horses. I had lightning alerts on my phone and had countless midnight pajama runs to the paddocks.

a vet quoted that 25% of horses that move to south Florida stop sweating. I had 4 horses, 3 struggled with sweating, one so miserable it was hourly alcohol bathes just to be able to breathe in the stall with 3 fans on.

Hurricanes. Get a concrete barn or worry yourself ill 4 months of the year.

Hay $$$

pros: no mud! Sand drains fast (Flip side- sand clear! Friend lost a horse to sand colic). Rarely need to blanket. No ice to break. Loads of vets, farriers, horse shows, people dining in breeches everywhere. Grass year round. Kind of a ghost town after April, but that cuts down on traffic.

signed- someone who was not a beach or a hot weather person, and sold the farm (Wellington) after 2 hurricanes and a job transfer. I miss it this month, but definitely not most of the year.
                            I've been reading about the lightning. That doesn't sound fun.

Odd about the fact that horses stop sweating. Honestly I've been struggling a lot with my horse. I'm hopeful I can turn things around but at this point it wouldn't kill me if Florida isn't for him and I have to sell him.

Anyone know about donkeys in florida? He doesn't sweat much but they are desert animals so it has to be very hot for him to sweat.

Definitely planning on a concrete barn. Even if it means it has to be smaller than I would have liked. Just not worth it any other way.

Question about hay. I know its expensive. Does price go up in the winter or is it pretty consistent? Here I have to get a full years worth of hay at a time. But I'd prefer to not have to store that much hay. If its not a big price difference I'd rather just get enough for say 4 months at a time and not have to build as big of a barn.

Comment

purlsnponies
                              I actually have a tack shop up north but before we decided to move already planned on converting it to a new style of business that will be remote. DH is in construction management so will need to be near a larger city for the most job opportunities. Ocala seems really nice. Just wanted to be closer to the ocean. So many little details about a town I’m not sure how we would figure out where to live without living there first. Although boarding is so much cheaper than here that we could afford to board. I’d just prefer not to...I’m a little ocd about their care since they’ve been home. I feel like I couldn’t trust someone else to take care of them!
                              The bugs, hurricanes and humidity are a fact of life anywhere in coastal Florida. It’s the price you pay for no snow. If you have family in Jupiter and want to stay involved in the horse industry, then the Wellington area does seem to make the most sense. Have seen a number of nice looking, reasonably priced properties in Loxahatchee advertised recently. If you have room on the property for a guest cottage or barn apartment, seasonal rentals are always in demand there - potential income generator for you.

Comment

I've been reading about the lightning. That doesn't sound fun.

Odd about the fact that horses stop sweating. Honestly I've been struggling a lot with my horse. I'm hopeful I can turn things around but at this point it wouldn't kill me if Florida isn't for him and I have to sell him.

Anyone know about donkeys in florida? He doesn't sweat much but they are desert animals so it has to be very hot for him to sweat.

Definitely planning on a concrete barn. Even if it means it has to be smaller than I would have liked. Just not worth it any other way.

Question about hay. I know its expensive. Does price go up in the winter or is it pretty consistent? Here I have to get a full years worth of hay at a time. But I'd prefer to not have to store that much hay. If its not a big price difference I'd rather just get enough for say 4 months at a time and not have to build as big of a barn.
                                I knew 3 mini donkeys in the neighborhood, all seemed ok, two lived out 24/7 with a shelter next door to me.

I bought hay bi weekly, didn’t have a large space to store, and the price was the same pretty much year around, and within a dollar to two for the same bale (3 string Timothy) at all feed suppliers. In the winter rush sometimes they ran out, and you might have to try a different cutting, but it wasn’t a huge deal.

I think my biggest recommendation would be to visit farms after a huge deluge when farm shopping. Best way to see how the property drains! This is almost daily June to October.

Comment

Yes lightning is a killer. A friend just lost a horse due to lightning from a small line of rainstorms. I didn't hear much thunder and left mine outside because it was such a small line of showers... Same storm killed her horse.

Expect to lose several trees from lightning strikes. My dad was hit by lightning twice and survived. I try to get my horses in early if it looks like a storm is coming because it's not safe to be out there. Some of those storms pop up fast and it's hard to get everyone in the barn in time. Even worse if you are on a trail ride far from home and a storm hits.

Comment

Just want to say that the land near Okeechobee was probably everglades (read: swamp/marsh) before it was drained. Pretty much all of the middle of FLorida south of Orlando is part of the historic Everglades. The higher land is actually closer to the coast. Be very careful about the land you buy - look at the plant communities. Cypress or skinny pines? It floods occassionally. Rich black soil? It was Everglades and that's muck soil. BIg pines and sandy soil? be cautious with your pasture management - or you will have a sand pit. Loxahatchee WAS everglades within my memory,and Wellington did not exist.....

You will still buy hay. The types of grass Florida grows in pastures is not very nutritious (bermuda grasses, and I have seen St Augustine grasses in some pastures further south). Growth slows considerable during the winter, and you really need to be careful IRT pasture management.
                                    Edited to add that no one I know buys a year's worth of hay at a time. You will lose it to mold. And no the price stays pretty steady year round - between $550-$650/ton for T/A, O/A, or straight A.

Ocala is about an hour from each coast.

Fly sheets? hot and humid even at night in the summer. So it depends on which fly sheet.... some are more breathable.

You might consider the Palm City area (west of Stuart) or even further north towards Vero, Melbourne or Titusville. . Just a bit further up the coast but there is an equine community and it's probably less spendy.....

Comment

Originally posted by dotneko View Post
                                      OK - how likely is a person to do something stupid that everyone who grew up in Florida would know not to do, but someone from New Engand wouldnt think twice about and get themselves hurt or killed?
                                      For example, I might walk out of my house in the evening to go check on a horse and not think there might be a poisonous snake or an alligator out there in the dark?
                                      Or scooping up loose hay from a hay shed and maybe seeing a garter snake up North, but a rattler down south.
                                      Growing up in New England, you have NE common sense. Do you develop Florida common sense?
                                      I mean my inlaws found a gator in their garage and needed to be careful about pygmy rattlers in their lemon tree.
                                      Being a farmer in Florida would be too much for me.
                                      I moved to TN from PA, and while PA has rattlers and copperheads, I don’t think I ever saw any in my 47 years there. We have been here almost 6 years and we killed 2 rattlers this year, and saw just 1 in all the previous years.

I think it is just like anything else- you learn what the hazards are and learn to work around them. Down here I know that you will see more snakes in general during warm weather, and rattlers particularly in August and September. I was tramping through the woods pretty carefree yesterday, but would have been watching every step in warm weather. Most snakes would prefer to slither off rather than strike.

In PA, I worried more about things like ice. The last winter we were there was terrible, and my husband always seemed to be working away from home during the worst of it. I was more concerned about slipping and falling on the ice, knocking myself out and dying from hypothermia than I ever have been worried about snakes.

I think that no matter where you live, there are always positives and negatives, and you adapt.
                                      "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

[QUOTE=lorilu;

You might consider the Palm City area (west of Stuart) or even further north towards Vero, Melbourne or Titusville. . Just a bit further up the coast but there is an equine community and it's probably less spendy.....[/QUOTE]

Stuart (Martin County) Area is very nice, my parents lived there for many years. It’s on our radar screen for retirement. Growing equine community.

And I’m paying $600 ish a ton here in Southern Pines NC for orchard/alfalfa.
                                        www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

• Original Poster

So about lightening. People seem to be saying they don’t turn out at night because of storms but I thought the storms occurred more in the afternoons? We plan on having stalls lead right out to the paddocks. Are horses smart enough to go in on their own during a bad storm?

Comment

Working...
                                          X