• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Strange color cat

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really want a snow bengal. Or maybe a Savannah. I also want a Norwegian Forest Cat.

But all cost loads of money, and the free and needy cats always find me first. So no bengals, Savannahs or Norwegian Forest Cats for me. But I do REALLY want a snow bengal...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

See, you keep forgetting about checking for a microchip because you really want to keep the cute baby for yourself... and I can't blame you. What a cutie!

Kim, sending out the Catsignal to the universe herself
      I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Comment

Call and get her checked.. She seems loved.. i bet someone is worried sick about her if one of my boys was missing I'd be phoning shelters and vets all over the place.

Comment

• Original Poster

I sure hope somebody is looking for her, she is a doll!

So far we have an uneasy peace, each cat has a corner and nobody growls, when they get close they start up, but no fighting.

Comment

Ohhh! She is beautiful!!! Send her my way if you are in Texas!!
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?

Comment

• Original Poster

I loff that little cat, like she has been here all along...

Comment

Uh oh... looks like someone's got a new kitty!
                ~ Shannon Hayden ~

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                  What did I say?

She's a little darling.

Kim
                  I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Comment

Have you called around and/or had her scanned yet? I realize she's cute but come on....you don't usually find these as feral cats. She most likely belongs to someone else.

Comment

The cat is almost bound to be chipped. No one in their right mind spends that amount of money on that type of cat without having it chipped. I'd have caught it up the moment I found it and taken it to the vets to have it scanned, if no chip, then I'd have brought it home but would have called all vet practices, pet stores, animal rescue centers etc and then gone about making up flyers to pin on all these places noticeboards. It's been many days since you found the cat so you'd think by now it would have been reunited with it's owner. I know if it was my cat then I'd be beside myself with worry and would have called all of the above places the moment I realised the cat was definitely missing.

Comment

Did you call all the local SPCAs and vets? Our Ollie cat went missing a week or so ago and we were frantic. Turns out he had visited the Historical Society that shares a property line and gotten locked in! I was never so happy to see a little kitty face peering from a window. We had been calling everywhere and searching garages and looking up trees (he'd been stuck before) - I imagine a cat like this has a very worried family somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by lcw579 View Post
                          Did you call all the local SPCAs and vets? Our Ollie cat went missing a week or so ago and we were frantic. Turns out he had visited the Historical Society that shares a property line and gotten locked in! I was never so happy to see a little kitty face peering from a window. We had been calling everywhere and searching garages and looking up trees (he'd been stuck before) - I imagine a cat like this has a very worried family somewhere.
                          Yes one of my cats went missing for a week too, in the depths of winter. I searched and searched my farm, called him, checked in every barn on the property, went up into the forest, down the valley, around all the frozen ponds ... I could not find him. By the 6th day I honestly thought he would be dead due to -20 temps, but I still searched for him every day. On the 7th day I saw some dog prints outside my stable block. I went over to look more closely - coyote prints and a broken window pane. My heart raced but then I took stock and remembered I'd been in the stable block every day to no avail. I had hay stored in the stalls and I went in and called at every stable door. I heard a very quiet meouw, opened the door so quickly and climbed up the hay stack. There was a hole in the bales and up crawled my little cat. He had lost half of his bodyweight but had managed to survive by making a little nest in the hay. I wrapped him in my coat and whizzed back to the house. He was shivering and ravenous. I locked the catflap and did not let him out again till the spring.

It is very very upsetting when we lose one of our animals, particularly when the owner has no idea if they are alive or dead, and I'd imagine the owner of this cat feels like I felt that year.

PS. I don't own Bengals, I just own little tabby cats but all of my cats (and dogs) are chipped.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Cloverbarley View Post
                            The cat is almost bound to be chipped. No one in their right mind spends that amount of money on that type of cat without having it chipped. I'd have caught it up the moment I found it and taken it to the vets to have it scanned, if no chip, then I'd have brought it home but would have called all vet practices, pet stores, animal rescue centers etc and then gone about making up flyers to pin on all these places noticeboards. It's been many days since you found the cat so you'd think by now it would have been reunited with it's owner. I know if it was my cat then I'd be beside myself with worry and would have called all of the above places the moment I realised the cat was definitely missing.
                            It's been a few but right on through the weekend (justifying, I know)

I checked CL and the online version of the paper, no hits.

Comment

^You should take the cat to any vet to be scanned for a chip. They won't charge you to do that.
                              Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

Originally posted by Twisting View Post
                                You may want to pop by a vet or shelter and have them check for a chip. Bengals are expensive and most people who pay that much for a cat chip them. It's worth a try.

This.
                                It is entirely likely some owner is heartsick right now that their pet is missing.
                                "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

I checked CL and the online version of the paper, no hits.

Oh come on. Do the right thing and go get the cat scanned. Also, call local vets and the local shelters to see if anyone has reported her missing.

You have no idea if she belongs to a computer-savvy person or not, or if someone may have been on vacation or in the hospital and someone taking care of their house accidentally let her out or if someone was traveling through and couldn't stay to find her, or if she was stolen out-of-area and then let go near you.

There have been threads on here detailing the agony people who've lost a beloved pet have gone through. Please don't contribute to someone's misery.

Originally posted by spookhorse View Post
                                  Uh oh... looks like someone's got a new kitty!
                                  I hope not, because without making an honest effort to find the critter's owner it's effectively a stolen cat. And karma is a bitch.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh take it easy.

If that cat is that dearly loved I would figure the local paper had an ad in it.

Or it's not yet missed, sadly cats have that fate.

So, for now, my own vet has no scanner, I will call the other vet in the morning and see if they have one (oh poop that in the exact opposite direction)

First order of business - before you implore the famous COTH ED curses on me: the cat is here, in my house, safe, sound and fed.

Comment

If that cat is that dearly loved I would figure the local paper had an ad in it.
                                      Really? The first thing I would do is call animal control and my vet, the local shelters, not put an ad in the newspaper. We had a *lost* dog in my yard the other day; I called AC within 10 minutes. That's the first place I'd call if my pet was missing, not check Sunday's lost & found column or Craigslist.

Or it's not yet missed, sadly cats have that fate.
                                      Probably not $1000 cats, though.

You don't sound like you're trying very hard to return the cat. I'm sure it's lovely, but it's not yours [yet]. Sorry.

Comment

Think of Clairdelune and her missing GP... she turned heaven and earth to find her dog, travelled to a distant shelter when she thought it was her dog and adopted said dog, but is still looking and hoping.

Only after you have exhausted all avenues (and I mean posting ads yourself as well), then 'maybe' you could keep said cat.

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post

Probably not $1000 cats, though.
                                          Sadly it turns out that not all Bengals are valued at $1000 and probably would not really be missed if they went AWOL.

Seriously, I would not have expected it, but apparently some breeders will let these cats go for stupid cheap if they simply don't prefer the markings the cat ends up with (even if they are perfectly beautiful and legal in the show ring to boot).

Yes, she needs to be checked for a chip and yes, ads need to be placed, etc. Just cause there's some flippant "Someone's got a new kitty" and "She's loffly" doesn't mean that things aren't happening.

As for chips, well, if you can chip 'em all you want, but not all chips and readers "talk" to each other and not every vet office or animal shelter even has a reader at this point, believe it or not.
                                          ~ Shannon Hayden ~

Comment

Working...
                                          X