Sport Horse Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

Birman1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

New Ford F350 or Chevy 3500 dually?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ford F350 or Chevy 3500 dually?

I've had 2 trucks in the last 20 years. A '97 Ford, and a '09 Chevy. Both have been good trucks. The Chevy has had more (minor) mechanical problems. I'm buying a new diesel dually soon. What are you driving THAT IS ONLY 1 or 2 YEARS OLD, and what do you think about it? We all know that quality can vary year to year, so I'm looking for input into new trucks. Your 58 year old truck might run great, but I can't buy it!
    Thanks so much for your help!

Ford would always be my first choice in a truck.

Comment

trim level would be a concern as to just what options you want or need.... the Fords can easily add 50% from base F350 to the higher levels

going by OP's screen name of Fancy.Pants... the Platinum edition would be correct. but if for hauling horses we found the King Ranch package to fit our needs

Do not have a clue about Chevy (or GMC) ...but would look at the GMC before looking at Chevy

Comment

• Original Poster

Haha, clanter. Screen name or not, I like to buy my trucks without carpet (so much easier), so that tends to keep the trim level down. I guess what I'm looking for is people who say, Don't buy X truck, mine has broken down on my 12 times! I guess since I'm not getting that, no one here is experiencing it. Thanks all.

Comment

I have a 2018 GMC Denali 3500 dually and I love it. It has a crew cab, so lots of room. It is a diesel, so decent mileage all things considered. We have driven it from Michigan to Texas several times as well as all over the Midwest and haven’t had any problems at all. It pulls my trailer like a dream, has plenty of low end torque, and rides very comfortably.
          I would highly recommend it.

Comment

I have a 2 year old Ford F350 Dually and I love it! My diesel mechanic is a Dodge truck guy through and through and had been telling us for years that we needed to ditch our old Ford F350 SRW to get a Dodge. Due to time constraints on our truck search, we wound up with a Ford again, and though it was somewhat grudging, my mechanic said that he actually likes the new Fords as much as he's always liked Dodges.

Comment

When I bought my truck, I talked to several mechanics, and they said their experience was the GM trucks were more reliable, and far easier for them to work on than Ford. Realistically, when it comes to trucks, it comes down to personal preference. I mean, Dodge beats my Chevy like crazy on turning radius, but I find my Chevy is much steadier when hauling. I can feel what my horses are doing, but it's not as... pronounced as it was on a Dodge. Some people might LIKE feeling it to that degree, but I found it more unnerving going down mountain passes than anything.
              Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

just a note of warning, do not let your diesel fuel tanks get below 1/3rd full otherwise the Bosh CP4 duel pump would be subject to premature failure due to overheating causing metal fragments to enter the injector system

October 2, 2018 — Bosch CP4 fuel pump failures have caused a lawsuit that alleges General Motors, Ford, Chrysler and Bosch conspired to equip diesel vehicles with pumps the companies knew would fail.

The lawsuit alleges the CP4 pump is not compatible with American diesel fuel, something that causes the pump to run dry and destroy itself, further destroying the fuel injection system and engine.

Diesel fuel used in American vehicles is cleaner and allegedly provides less lubrication compared to European diesel fuel, something the plaintiffs claim makes American diesel fuel incompatible with the Bosch fuel pumps.

According to the lawsuit, the CP4 pump failures occur when diesel fuel is run through the high pressure pumps that are already struggling to maintain enough lubrication. The cleaner diesel fuel allegedly allows air pockets to form inside the pumps, causing metal to rub against metal and sending metal shavings throughout the fuel systems.

The plaintiffs claim the CP4 fuel pump failures typically occur when vehicles head toward 100,000 miles and will end up costing customers $8,000 to $15,000 to replace the fuel systems.
                https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

it was suggest to not let a fuel tank get below 1/3rd full not as a fix but to to keep the pump submerged in the fuel to aid cooling

Comment

My farm owners have had terrible luck with Chevy 3500s in the last few years (all purchased new). They are on their second in 3 years (failed enough that it was better to get a new one) and this one is also displaying issues. They tow a lot with 4-6 horses. From their experience, I'd try a Ford.

Comment

For engine: dodge. It's going to out grunt anything on the market by design (inline 6, harmonically balanced).
                    For transmission: Chevy/GMC.
                    For looks: none of them, they're all hideous right now (can we make the tail badge ANY BIGGER RIGHT NOW guys?! or how about those OMG MONSTER HEADLIGHTS that cost 600+ to replace?!)
                    For interior: probably Ford, but I like dodge too

Ford has a sordid past of "yes this year but no not that year".

Question - are you planning to delete or leave stock? (do you have to smog/pass emissions?)

Comment

We have had many, many duallys and have a 2019 Dodge right now. It was just traded in a few month ago and we had a 2019 Chevy High Country. My in law had a 2019 GM Denali. We both tow large trailers, hers is a camper trailer that weighs 18,000lb and our horse trailer is 23,000lb.

Of course the GM and Chevy are the exact same truck, just the interior packages were different. The only reason my husband wanted to go back to Dodge was the Longhorn is sooooo much nicer than the High Country, and the trucks cost the same.

Now for towing, the Chevy was wayyyyy better when kept in the cruise control (my husband loves driving in crusie control almost all of the time on the highways). It kept speed (even up mountains!!), never seemed to work hard and was a towing machine!

The Dodge has tons of power but the cruise control is really crappy. It looses speed (even on the flats) and has to rev up to get back up to speed. But even doing this, the fuel milage is acually way better than the Chevy, which was really surprising! The fuel tank is even smaller than the Chevy (which worried my husband as its hard to fit our 52' trailer into most gas stations!), but it gets way better fuel milage and even with the smaller tank, we hit up the gas stations much less. In fact, my husbands dually gets close to the same milage as my 2018 1500 Chevy. Its crazy!

I don't have any info on the Ford, but I had several 1500 and loved them. We were going to look at a Ford Dually but my husband really liked the Longhorn so we went with that.

Good luck with your search!

Comment

Originally posted by piedmontfields View Post
                        My farm owners have had terrible luck with Chevy 3500s in the last few years (all purchased new). They are on their second in 3 years (failed enough that it was better to get a new one) and this one is also displaying issues. They tow a lot with 4-6 horses. From their experience, I'd try a Ford.
                        Several years ago I was at our local trailer shop and there was a guy in there with a HUGE LQ trailer behind a 3500 RAM. To my naked eye he was grossly overweight. And he was complaining the RAM made a crummy transmission as he was on number three or four. The idea he was grossly over-stressing the tranny did not seem cross his mind.

What are these Chevy people towing with (gearing, set up, etc.) and what are they towing these horses in? Light weight AL or steel Sundowner? It makes a difference!

Unfortunately there is no "consumer reporting" I can find on 350/3500 trucks that is relatively objective. Consumers Union stops at the 2500/250 mark as the larger trucks are considered "commercial." IMO one could argue this point with them but so far that seems to be their rule. What I have found does not begin to approach "objectivity." The manufacturers certainly do not put out anything that would be negative to their brand and anything they say about other brands has to be taken with a BIG grain of salt. So in all of this we stuck with anecdote.

On that note I'll say that I've owned one Ford F-350 (1992 crew cab dually, 7.3L engine, auto-tranny). It was OK except that it ate transmissions. When towing the transmission oil cooler was inadequate and caused overheating and failure. When I added an auxiliary tranny oil cooler the problems went away.

I later swapped for a '98 Chevy crew cab, dually, big gas engine, 4WD. Except for the mileage it was a good truck. If finally let me down at about 120,000 miles returning from a trip with the horses and I swapped it for '08 model with the same general features but also with the Duramax engine. It has been a champ across the board for 108,000 miles. The Grand Plan is to re-store this one in a few years when it starts to show signs of aging. That will likely cost me in the neighborhood of $30,000 but a new one by then will push $100,000. As we are approaching the end of our equestrian activities due to age and infirmity I'm not going to put 100Gs into a truck.

As you drive down the highway look at what people, particularly RVer's are pulling. Some are REALLY impressive in size (and weight) and likely are beyond the legal limits of the truck. You'll see it, too, at horse shows where you have huge, 6 horse LQs behind trucks that are likely not rated for those loads. If you broach the subject with them they'll tell you "it works just fine." But if you start talking about general maintenance and quality you'll often get complains about "quality" in some aspect of the engine and drive train. Again, the idea that they are grossly overweight will not even be a possible cause of their issues.

If you want to pull a lot you have to have a properly equipped truck to do it. If you don't you'll have trouble. Simple as that.

G.
                        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Comment

I know this was not asked but if looking at a F350 OP may want to look at the F450... rated towing is 25% greater...cost is neatly the same ...less luxury options but OP says they are not that inclined

but check your insurance as the F450 is considered a commercial truck by most insurers

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post

Several years ago I was at our local trailer shop and there was a guy in there with a HUGE LQ trailer behind a 3500 RAM. To my naked eye he was grossly overweight. And he was complaining the RAM made a crummy transmission as he was on number three or four. The idea he was grossly over-stressing the tranny did not seem cross his mind.

What are these Chevy people towing with (gearing, set up, etc.) and what are they towing these horses in? Light weight AL or steel Sundowner? It makes a difference!

Unfortunately there is no "consumer reporting" I can find on 350/3500 trucks that is relatively objective. Consumers Union stops at the 2500/250 mark as the larger trucks are considered "commercial." IMO one could argue this point with them but so far that seems to be their rule. What I have found does not begin to approach "objectivity." The manufacturers certainly do not put out anything that would be negative to their brand and anything they say about other brands has to be taken with a BIG grain of salt. So in all of this we stuck with anecdote.

On that note I'll say that I've owned one Ford F-350 (1992 crew cab dually, 7.3L engine, auto-tranny). It was OK except that it ate transmissions. When towing the transmission oil cooler was inadequate and caused overheating and failure. When I added an auxiliary tranny oil cooler the problems went away.

I later swapped for a '98 Chevy crew cab, dually, big gas engine, 4WD. Except for the mileage it was a good truck. If finally let me down at about 120,000 miles returning from a trip with the horses and I swapped it for '08 model with the same general features but also with the Duramax engine. It has been a champ across the board for 108,000 miles. The Grand Plan is to re-store this one in a few years when it starts to show signs of aging. That will likely cost me in the neighborhood of $30,000 but a new one by then will push $100,000. As we are approaching the end of our equestrian activities due to age and infirmity I'm not going to put 100Gs into a truck.

As you drive down the highway look at what people, particularly RVer's are pulling. Some are REALLY impressive in size (and weight) and likely are beyond the legal limits of the truck. You'll see it, too, at horse shows where you have huge, 6 horse LQs behind trucks that are likely not rated for those loads. If you broach the subject with them they'll tell you "it works just fine." But if you start talking about general maintenance and quality you'll often get complains about "quality" in some aspect of the engine and drive train. Again, the idea that they are grossly overweight will not even be a possible cause of their issues.

If you want to pull a lot you have to have a properly equipped truck to do it. If you don't you'll have trouble. Simple as that.

G.
                            Not too sure if I 100% agree with you here. We have towed VERY large trailers (43' toy hauler at 18,000lb and our current 52' tripple axel 23,000lb trailer- with LQ) and have had no issues with it. The trucks are rated to tow 30,000lb (Dodge) and 23,000lb (Chevy/GM).

I don't think there are many other trailers on the road that are much heavier than ours. But we go to CAT scales to get an accurate weight on our trailers. We have them fully loaded (with the carriages, harness, hay, ponies etc) to ensure we are ok to tow.

In fact our current 52' trailer tows better than our old 42' horse trailer double axel at 19,000lb. I believe the 3rd axel does really help with this. And my husband HATES towing the 43' ft toy hauler(also a tripple axel) as it has a large nose and sits up a lot. It really grabs the wind and makes towing that much harder. So it really also depends on the trailer....

OP - what are you planning on towing with the truck?
                            Last edited by DiamondJubilee; Nov. 14, 2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Comment

52' trailer - wow, you got my attention !! Gorgeous !

Comment

Holy smokies, no kidding, that's a LOT of trailer. I'd probably pee myself if I had to haul that.
                                  COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Working...
                                  X