Sport Horse Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

UMS_01

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Trailer Bearings Failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok , misspelled the flooring . . .RUMBER flooring: http://www.blueridgetrailer.com/blog...mber-flooring/

Dealing with trailer people (or house cleaners, or any other service people) --as I said, I live in the Trailer Capital of the World --Elkhart IN. There are trailer sales/repair places on every corner --but there is also a lot of turn over of employees. Like you, my trailer is really, really important to me. So I go to the trailer repair place that has been here the longest and has the least turn over --I know the repair people well --had their kids in class. Even so, I always keep a running list to take in with me on my once a year visit ---a check list. I have two copies --one for me and one for them. If you look on line you'll find a number of "things to check on a trailer" lists. I compiled mine and take it each year along with anything else that needs fixed or touched up ---missing screw --new drip guards --add a horse tie to the outside. Another suggestion is to buy your parts yourself. Take them in with you. The trailer repair guys charge me by the hour --if they need to go to Merhow to buy a part, I get charged for that time --if they have to search on-line and order a part, I get charged. So I have all the parts laid out for them to replace if needed. At $75/hr labor --I save a bit. When I pick up the trailer, we go over the list to make sure everything has been done and is working how I want it to --always check replaced lights that they work. Everyone is human and this is a busy place. I know a lot of the minor repairs get send "down' to the newest, least experienced person --so I want to check them out and make sure everything is right. Then always ask: Is there anything you found on the trailer that I need to watch? Usually the answer is no, but sometimes it's "Well, next year you'll probably want to replace the tires," or "We found some rust on a back corner --might have to patch that place next time . . ." --My trailer is 16 years old --it does have a couple of cosmetic issues I keep an eye on.

As to your tires --I don't know the answer --this is one area where I totally trust the "tire store" --again, local place, owner has been there forever --had his kids in class too ---I take my trailer there for tire repair and evaluation --please know that trailer tires are not car tires --no matter how far you drive on them, have them replaced every 4-5 years --do your research --it's not a complicated subject. I replace all tires and rims every 4 years and sell the old ones --never a problem because someone will buy used trailer tires for a boat trailer or hay wagon even though they have lots of wear. By selling with the rims (new rims are inexpensive), I get new rims and the buyer of the used tires can put them on himself ...anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Um, post was unapproved? Simply explained that RUMBER flooring is a rubber composite that has (I think) better qualities than my aluminum floor in my current horse trailer does. Secondly I suggested that OP make a list of what he/she wants done and looked at on the trailer --there are lists on the WWW for "what to have checked on a horse trailer." She should make her own, make a copy, and give it to the trailer repair person. When she picks up the trailer, review the list to make sure all items were checked, and fixed if necessary. Oh, I always ask for a call about how much it will be (estimate) before the work is done. When picking up the trailer, ask "Is there anything you saw that I need to be aware of?" --this sometimes lead to conversations about possible concerns --"may need new tires next year " or "the battery might need replacing," ---last --always try to acquire any parts that will be needed before the repair date as the time to locate and purchase such items may be charged to the trailer owner (my trailer repair people do that).

As to the tire question --I defer to experts who sell tires --never hurts to have two of them look at the tires in question. I reminded OP that trailer tires are different than car tires and expect to replace, regardless of mileage, every 3-4 years --said I replace tires and rims, then sell the old tires/rims used --people with hay wagons, boat trailers, etc will buy used tires and rims. That way I get some $$$ back and new rims with my new tires! My unapproved post was much more witty. FYI

Comment

So, Dexter recommends 3 months / 3000 miles, most folks will not do this mileage or service so do at least once per year or more

do not rely on greasing only thru an EZ lube ( you can over do and ruin your brakes if you push out the grease seal, that is something designed for boat trailers due to getting in water all the time )

On sealed bearings it sounds like a good idea BUT if you have a failure parts are harder to find without ordering AND you must use a press to remove and replace them, regular bearings may be a better idea as most any hand mechanic can do the job

IF you travel much or far it is a GREAT idea to carry at least 1) bearing kit for your trailer with you, if you have a failure on a weekend you might find that handy repair person and you would have parts that you likely would not be able to get in a hurry.

IF you are interested here is a link to Dexter Axle videos, scroll down, this is a good intro / education - various parts and topics https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources/videos

Risa
        Happy Trails Trailers
        Balanced Ride Trailers
        HappyTrailsTrailers.com
        BalancedRideTrailers.com

Comment

My Merhow has never-lube hubs. My dad who does some maintenance like greasing the bearings, thought this was great! But, we do have them inspected every year. You're carrying some valuable possessions, it's worth it to have them checked out. But there do seem to be failure prone bearings out there. My parents were driving up to Minnesota with their boat and the bearing went on the trailer and they had to have it repaired. My dad did grease the bearings earlier in the year and this was only the second trip of the year. So I see that as sub-par manufacturing. If you know what you have you can be prepared for future failures.

Along the same lines of safety, you should have matching trailer rated tires all around. Ideally, you also want them manufactured around the same time as well. Now the mechanics/dynamics of trailer tires are different from those of your car. However, you are exerting significant forces on those tires especially when doing tight turns. Having different tires on the same axle could cause one or the other tire to fail prematurely. Having two different tires on the same side could also cause a premature failure. Again, why take a chance? I see dry rot on tires more often than not - especially on the spare tire! The worst thing for a tire is to not be used! A tire that travels over the road has forces exerted on it to keep the natural oils in the rubber consistent. So as the tire flexes and heats up and goes through heat cycles, it effectively prolongs the life of the tire compared to a spare. We rotated in our spare tire 2 years ago, and it only lasted 2 years before it looked suspect. The other tires had lasted 4 years before needing replacement for simple wear.

Now as to the difference between 8 ply vs 10 ply, you would have to ask the people that replace your trailer tires. The difference may not be significant for hauling but once you get a trailer manual, it may specify minimum requirements for the tires like ply, rating, load capacity, etc. There are very few manufacturers of trailer tires compared to car tires so specific tire knowledge is important. The trailer place can also tell you trends they have seen - like what brand doesn't last as long or fails more often. That being said for cost reasons, you could have a non-matching tire as a spare. It will work in a pinch till you can get the flat replaced. You just don't want to drive on it for an extended period of time.

Sorry if this was a bit long, but I used to race cars, so tires were all important. I learned more than I needed to know and applied it to my horse trailer! I would rather be safe. It's not worth the risk to me.

Comment

• Original Poster

An update, I need two new axles, a new tire, a new wheel, new brakes among other things. When they hooked up the electricity to it they couldn’t even activate the brakes. For such a new trailer I am very upset that all this needs fixing. This was the 2nd time apparently that the bearings failed on this trailer because there is evidence that the prior bearings were welded off without the axle being replaced so the axles have been ruined this entire time.

Comment

PS for big jobs try to get a 2nd opinion...Sorry for your troubles. Hope you are on the road again soon!
              R
              HappyTrailsTrailers.com
              BalancedRideTrailers.com

Comment

Hi Gardenhorse , I have a Brenderup trailer and yes, that's what I understood also - bearings were sealed. If you get other information, please let us know!

Comment

Originally posted by Foxglove View Post
                  Dexter Axle (made near me) have a sealed bearing axle ---something I will definitely look into if I ever part with my beloved Merhow --that and a RUMBLER floor! Until then, I take donuts to the trailer-fix shop when I take my trailer in --want those guys/girls to look forward to me coming in!
                  Never underestimate the power of donuts, especially upon people who's work is physical labor.

Comment

skydy --donuts are great, but even better are remembering names! As a retired teacher (40+ years) I learned that names are so important -and to use them! But the trailer industry is highly fluid with its employment --good workers are hard to keep --so donuts are a good second choice ---when the mechanics see my trailer is on the list for repair --I hope they think, "Yippeee!." OH and someone PMed me that the sealed axles might not be the best route --guess they can fail and when they do, it's a costly repair.

Comment

New brakes? Trailer brakes are pretty simple and last for years and years. I would assume it's just a wiring issue.
                      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Equestrianette View Post
                        An update, I need two new axles, a new tire, a new wheel, new brakes among other things. When they hooked up the electricity to it they couldn’t even activate the brakes. For such a new trailer I am very upset that all this needs fixing. This was the 2nd time apparently that the bearings failed on this trailer because there is evidence that the prior bearings were welded off without the axle being replaced so the axles have been ruined this entire time.
                        PPE. Always on everything.

That said you have put some miles on the trailer since you bought it. I expect that the new wheel and tire are related to the damage done when the axles failed and perhaps the brakes too? Do you know if your trailer brakes ever worked?

When I got my new to me truck it had a pin socket for the trailer power cord but the pins were the wrong configuration and only some of the trailer electrical worked. The running lights wouldn't turn on. Had the socket replaced on the truck NBD. I did not pull the trailer with that truck until that was done.

But would you know if the trailer brakes ever functioned for you or if the truck has just been slowing the trailer for the past year? Do you know how to test the brakes driving? Do you have the adjustable force brake switch installed on your dashboard?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

PPE. Always on everything.

That said you have put some miles on the trailer since you bought it. I expect that the new wheel and tire are related to the damage done when the axles failed and perhaps the brakes too? Do you know if your trailer brakes ever worked?

When I got my new to me truck it had a pin socket for the trailer power cord but the pins were the wrong configuration and only some of the trailer electrical worked. The running lights wouldn't turn on. Had the socket replaced on the truck NBD. I did not pull the trailer with that truck until that was done.

But would you know if the trailer brakes ever functioned for you or if the truck has just been slowing the trailer for the past year? Do you know how to test the brakes driving? Do you have the adjustable force brake switch installed on your dashboard?
                          My mistake was having the dealership do the PPE and not an independent shop. They said everything was done, maintenance completed, etc etc.. The trailer has driven the same the whole year. I borrowed a friend's trailer this weekend to get to a show and her trailer DID have brakes and it was a HUGE difference. I can say no my trailer did not have brakes, but I've never had problems stopping. I do have a tow package in my truck with the manual trailer braking system to test it when I get it back. The gain indicator always went along with how much brake pressure I put on my truck, but it must have never reached the actual braking system on the trailer which is weird. The shop said I had no power going to my brakes but I also had none either, in that they were completely worn down and needed to be replaced. A long time ago, coming out of this particular feed store's driveway, my trailer hitch ripped out the emergency brake on the asphalt, perhaps that triggered the brakes and I kept driving? I don't know. I feel like I would know if it pulled different and it never did. I'm just glad I'm getting everything fixed.

Comment

Wow there was a lot going on. I think your use is fairly high mileage but definitely the issue was starting long ago. I just had my trailer serviced last summer after having it mostly sitting a few years (I know), and the mechanic said the bearings and the floor looked brand new so to call him in another 3 years unless I start using it a lot more. Ask your shop what they recommend. I think after the repairs I’d check a little often at first and then if that seems ok, with your mileage you are probably fine for once a year. The hardest thing for me to keep up with in my climate is the battery for the emergency brake system. I need to get a trickle charger for the winter so I don’t keep killing batteries.

I keep an automotive and marine use fire extinguisher in the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxglove View Post
                              skydy --donuts are great, but even better are remembering names! As a retired teacher (40+ years) I learned that names are so important -and to use them! But the trailer industry is highly fluid with its employment --good workers are hard to keep --so donuts are a good second choice ---when the mechanics see my trailer is on the list for repair --I hope they think, "Yippeee!." OH and someone PMed me that the sealed axles might not be the best route --guess they can fail and when they do, it's a costly repair.
                              Names are a given.

Comment

• Original Poster

Just an update.
                                I got my trailer back today. Two new axels, new brakes, etc. It cost a lot less than anticipated and although my brakes needed to be replaced the electrical issue was just a dead brake battery. All fixed! Happy to be back on the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X