Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

DJI_0983
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

handling frustration (looking for tips)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handling frustration (looking for tips)

Hey there! I am having trouble staying calm. I’m getting very frustrated and angry.

First of all he won’t do a figure 8 anymore. Not like he doesn’t do a lead change. Like When I try to cross in the middle he completely goes off course. Let’s say I’m turning right to go through the middle, he will take a hard left no matter how much leg I put on. I have had trouble with this for a few weeks and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong or how to fix it. So I have had some trouble keeping calm when he does that.

Then yesterday at a show he saw minis pulling a cart and he was terrified. I wasn’t upset about that. I was upset because I tried to take him for a walk to settle him down and he was running circles and pushing me around. I put a chain on him and I still couldn’t get control. Then I tied him to the trailer where he couldn’t see the minis. I used the door to block them from his sight. Then he was pawing the trailer and swinging his butt at me. I think he just wanted a friend. So then my friend brought her horse over because he was freaking at the minis too. So they were a little bit more calm.

Alright so ‘how was I Acting?’ well I was yelling at him and I pulled on his face more than I should’ve. I knew I wasn’t acting right but I just didn’t know what else to do and I felt like I had no way to get a break and calm myself. So that was making me panic a bit too. I felt so out of control and I felt so stupid. Everyone was probably watching me act like a fool. I have some anxiety too so that didn’t help.

So we were waiting for the ‘ok’ to warm up and he had to go past the minis to get to the ring. And he was sidepassing and backing up and trying to rear. I was scared he was going to hurt someone or damage a vehicle. So I tried to get him past the minis and he trotted which wasn’t a big deal. So then we went into the warm up ring and the minis were in a ring right beside us. So we go into the ring and he was so worked up he wouldn’t slow down so we trotted around the ring but when he got to the side beside the minis he was side passing and backing up which was ok. I handled that ok. I just tried to keep him calm and walking past them. We passed the minis a few times and then he got out of control. He was backing into the fence which wasn’t a very sturdy fence not to mention the fact that there was people standing by the fence. So I was just trying to get him to calm down and my dad is yelling at me to ‘get him outta there’. So I tried to walk him out the gate but he was just backing up and trying to rear. One of my friends had to walk beside me to get him out. At that point i just cried of frustration and embarrassment. My dad was telling me to ‘stay calm’ and I felt so out of control and I felt trapped. I couldn’t get a break. I had to handle him. So I got off and walked him back to the trailer where he couldn’t see the minis.

I think I handled that ok. But I just got too overwhelmed. I felt like my dad didn’t understand. He was just telling me to do all this stuff but he didn’t know I was trying my best. I felt so out of control and angry at my horse. He is never like that. He is calm as can be. I get that he was scared but I need to have control even when he’s scared. I just felt stupid.

Then when we did our barrel run he wouldn’t go around the barrel closest to the minis. I was a little upset but I kept calm. I just kept asking him forward until he listened. He was ok with his runs for the rest of the day but when I tied him at the trailer alone he was pawing it. Which pissed me off.

I yelled at him to stop and he wouldn’t listen. I tapped him on his shoulder when he kicked but he didn’t stop. I took his saddle off and started loading him right away.

When I tried to load him he wouldn’t get In the trailer. My dad pushed his butt and he got on. But I was really upset with him. After his behaviour all day that was the last straw for me. I stayed fairly calm on the outside but on the inside I was so angry. I did everything I normally do but I just didn’t use a kind tone or kind words which probably didn’t help but I couldn’t stop it.

Anyways. I think my problem was that I felt out of control. I am looking for tips on how to stay calm. I am not good at it. I think my problem is, i feel like I can’t have a break to calm down. Like I’m trapped. Like There’s no choice but to keep handling the situation.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long read! I just thought I needed to explain things well.

Ok first take a deep breath.

Then give yourself credit for realizing your behaviour is making things worse for you. I'm assuming you are young, probably a teenager?

It sounds like this is a problem in other areas of your life too? Generally frustration and anxiety are signs we don't feel safe or in control of a situation.

If you have general anxiety in different parts of your life you might want to see a counselor who can give suggestions for calming that down.

With the horse I suggest taking a break from high pressure situations like competing.

You would learn a lot from doing some ground work lessons or clinics so you have more tools in your kit to solve problems, bomb proof your horse, and plan ahead for incidents.

How long have you had this horse? How experienced are you as a rider? Do you work with a trainer?

If this is your first season with this horse it is absolutely possible that you have managed to untrain or confuse or upset him.

If you've had your horse a year or two it is perfectly possible his hocks or back are starting to hurt from fast work and that's why he's acting up.

You need to first get your mood swings under control, probably with the help of a counselor.

Then you need to start problem solving why your relationship with the horse is falling apart under saddle. You need a trainer, a vet, and a saddle fitter on your team for this.

Finally you need to get educated in good ground work and bomb proofing skills. But you can't start learning those until you have your mood swings under control, because you can't do anything with a horse when you are scared and angry.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
      Ok first take a deep breath.

Then give yourself credit for realizing your behaviour is making things worse for you. I'm assuming you are young, probably a teenager?

It sounds like this is a problem in other areas of your life too? Generally frustration and anxiety are signs we don't feel safe or in control of a situation.

If you have general anxiety in different parts of your life you might want to see a counselor who can give suggestions for calming that down.

With the horse I suggest taking a break from high pressure situations like competing.

You would learn a lot from doing some ground work lessons or clinics so you have more tools in your kit to solve problems, bomb proof your horse, and plan ahead for incidents.

How long have you had this horse? How experienced are you as a rider? Do you work with a trainer?

If this is your first season with this horse it is absolutely possible that you have managed to untrain or confuse or upset him.

If you've had your horse a year or two it is perfectly possible his hocks or back are starting to hurt from fast work and that's why he's acting up.

You need to first get your mood swings under control, probably with the help of a counselor.

Then you need to start problem solving why your relationship with the horse is falling apart under saddle. You need a trainer, a vet, and a saddle fitter on your team for this.

Finally you need to get educated in good ground work and bomb proofing skills. But you can't start learning those until you have your mood swings under control, because you can't do anything with a horse when you are scared and angry.
      Yes, I’m a teenager. I have been riding for 6 years, competing for 4 and I have had this horse for 3 years. This year is the first we’ve shown a lot off property. I don’t think its pain as he is only 6 but I will for sure check that out.

This is sometimes a problem in other areas of my life but not like this. Not this bad.

I work with a trainer 2 times a week.

I do need to do a lot of groundwork. It is becoming clear there are some holes in our training and our relationship. Believe me, that breaks my heart. I love him more than anything and for that reason I will get myself under control and help him. I think we are getting our wires crossed. Some things are unclear so I need to clarify things for him and for myself. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Miscellaneous View Post

Yes, I’m a teenager. I have been riding for 6 years, competing for 4 and I have had this horse for 3 years. This year is the first we’ve shown a lot off property. I don’t think its pain as he is only 6 but I will for sure check that out.

This is sometimes a problem in other areas of my life but not like this. Not this bad.

I do need to do a lot of groundwork. It is becoming clear there are some holes in our training and our relationship. Believe me, that breaks my heart. I love him more than anything and for that reason I will get myself under control and help him. I think we are getting our wires crossed. Some things are unclear so I need to clarify things for him and for myself. Thank you
        A really good groundwork trainer can completely change how we understand our horses.

You have a 6 year old horse. That means you bought him at 3, when you had only been riding for 3 years, and you were probably only what, 12 at most?

I realize western world puts horses to work earlier than English riding, and people are more likely to give kids baby horses. But honestly you were a novice rider being given a green baby horse and absolutely there are going to be big holes in his training because you've been learning as you go along.

The good news is that there are things you can learn that will fix these problems.

As far as pain, a horse of any age can sustain an injury. Think of all the 3 year old race horses that break down. He could have pulled a muscle or ligament, especially if you've increased his activity level this year.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

A really good groundwork trainer can completely change how we understand our horses.

You have a 6 year old horse. That means you bought him at 3, when you had only been riding for 3 years, and you were probably only what, 12 at most?

I realize western world puts horses to work earlier than English riding, and people are more likely to give kids baby horses. But honestly you were a novice rider being given a green baby horse and absolutely there are going to be big holes in his training because you've been learning as you go along.

The good news is that there are things you can learn that will fix these problems.

As far as pain, a horse of any age can sustain an injury. Think of all the 3 year old race horses that break down. He could have pulled a muscle or ligament, especially if you've increased his activity level this year.
          About 12 yes. I am not the only one who has trained him. My coach helped a lot and one of my friends who is older than me. Yes, that’s one up side of this. I can fix him with time, patience and practice.

Yes, he could have pain but I really don’t think so. I was just thinking that joint pain and stuff is more common in older horses or ones that compete often at high levels. We are talking a local club show. No pressure. Basically practice away from home. I do not run him hard because he is still learning. He might have pulled a muscle or something like that but I doubt it. I will check into it though

Comment

About 12 yes. I am not the only one who has trained him. My coach helped a lot and one of my friends who is older than me. Yes, that’s one up side of this. I can fix him with time, patience and practice.

Yes, he could have pain but I really don’t think so. I was just thinking that joint pain and stuff is more common in older horses or ones that compete often at high levels. We are talking a local club show. No pressure. Basically practice away from home. I do not run him hard because he is still learning. He might have pulled a muscle or something like that but I doubt it. I will check into it though
            Don't ever think that!! Joint problems and pain are **NOT** limited to older horses. I've seen x-rays of 2 y/o's with blown hocks, and have had my own young horse who had serious hock damage by age 4, for no good reason.

And good on you for knowing that you need to clarify things for both of you. That's a huge step in the right direction.

Comment

This may have been said already but .....he is young and you said you are doing a lot of showing. He could have ulcers from his own anxiety. Might want to check that out.

I didn't read everything so it's probably been mentioned already but if he's objecting to a certain movement he might be 'out' in a shoulder, hip, etc. Chiro is worth looking into.

Comment

Your horse does not believe that you are capable of keeping him safe when he sees something that frightens him. He does not believe that if you say it's OK means that it is OK and he should not be frightened. Shouting at him, "disciplining" him, isn't going to make him feel any better. You need to develop a more trusting relationship with your horse, over time. A relationship where he trusts you, and puts your decisions and input OVER his own. This is clear, consistent cues and releases, and pursuit of attainable goals, with associated rewards for him. It's a long term sort of thing, and a very different way of working with horses. "Anger" and "Frustration" on the human's part do not come into it. Until you can control your emotions, you need to limit what you do with a horse to the bare minimum because these are negative emotions that will only frighten your horse and make him even less likely to want to be your partner. The good news is that when attainable goals are organized for you, and the means to attain those goals are spelled out for you, "success" is the result, and "anger" and "frustration" are not as prominent as "happiness" and "understanding", and "softness" are.

Scribbler's advice is dead on. If you are not getting this sort of help from the people you are working with now, then you need different coaches and trainers, because you need different goals from what you are currently pursuing, and different tools in your toolbox to deal with the unexpected. You need to not be pushed into competition until you have mastered some of the basics of communication and relationship building with equines. You need to develop two way communication with your horse, and a relationship of mutual respect and understanding. When you have that, it all comes easy. You and your horse are "one" being, your thoughts and movements are coordinated. Your touch is soft and light, and your horse responds, because he understands, and feels safe no matter what is going on around him. And you understand that he is a horse, and is going to be fearful sometimes, as he is a prey animal, and is always looking for danger in order to avoid being killed by a monster. But your presence and input gives him confidence and makes him brave.

Good luck! Branch out in your quest for input into horse training and riding and competition, and in your own personal development.
                www.cordovafarm.weebly.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Obsidian Fire View Post

Don't ever think that!! Joint problems and pain are **NOT** limited to older horses. I've seen x-rays of 2 y/o's with blown hocks, and have had my own young horse who had serious hock damage by age 4, for no good reason.

And good on you for knowing that you need to clarify things for both of you. That's a huge step in the right direction.
                  Wow really? I will definitely get him checked just to be safe.

Thank you

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MzCarol View Post

This may have been said already but .....he is young and you said you are doing a lot of showing. He could have ulcers from his own anxiety. Might want to check that out.

I didn't read everything so it's probably been mentioned already but if he's objecting to a certain movement he might be 'out' in a shoulder, hip, etc. Chiro is worth looking into.
                    I will definitely look into that. Thank you very much for the suggestion

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by NancyM View Post
                      Your horse does not believe that you are capable of keeping him safe when he sees something that frightens him. He does not believe that if you say it's OK means that it is OK and he should not be frightened. Shouting at him, "disciplining" him, isn't going to make him feel any better. You need to develop a more trusting relationship with your horse, over time. A relationship where he trusts you, and puts your decisions and input OVER his own. This is clear, consistent cues and releases, and pursuit of attainable goals, with associated rewards for him. It's a long term sort of thing, and a very different way of working with horses. "Anger" and "Frustration" on the human's part do not come into it. Until you can control your emotions, you need to limit what you do with a horse to the bare minimum because these are negative emotions that will only frighten your horse and make him even less likely to want to be your partner. The good news is that when attainable goals are organized for you, and the means to attain those goals are spelled out for you, "success" is the result, and "anger" and "frustration" are not as prominent as "happiness" and "understanding", and "softness" are.

Scribbler's advice is dead on. If you are not getting this sort of help from the people you are working with now, then you need different coaches and trainers, because you need different goals from what you are currently pursuing, and different tools in your toolbox to deal with the unexpected. You need to not be pushed into competition until you have mastered some of the basics of communication and relationship building with equines. You need to develop two way communication with your horse, and a relationship of mutual respect and understanding. When you have that, it all comes easy. You and your horse are "one" being, your thoughts and movements are coordinated. Your touch is soft and light, and your horse responds, because he understands, and feels safe no matter what is going on around him. And you understand that he is a horse, and is going to be fearful sometimes, as he is a prey animal, and is always looking for danger in order to avoid being killed by a monster. But your presence and input gives him confidence and makes him brave.

Good luck! Branch out in your quest for input into horse training and riding and competition, and in your own personal development.
                      Ok. I will definitely get help for myself and for him. The last thing I want is for him to not be comfortable around me and I want him to have as few bad experiences as possible. Like I said, it absolutely breaks my heart that I’m in this situation so I’m going to fix it. Thank you

Comment

Hey there! I am having trouble staying calm. I’m getting very frustrated and angry.

Anyways. I think my problem was that I felt out of control. I am looking for tips on how to stay calm. I am not good at it. I think my problem is, i feel like I can’t have a break to calm down. Like I’m trapped. Like There’s no choice but to keep handling the situation.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long read! I just thought I needed to explain things well.
                        You need to take the next 6 months and go through a comprehensive program so that you understand how horses react to their surroundings and process information. This is not something that can be answered in a post. You truly are clueless about horse psychology and if you can't control your emotions, you should not be riding, much less competing. You are going to get yourself hurt.

I've subscribed to Warwick Schiller's video library for years now, and spend a lot of time in the winter watching them over and over. Horses do things the way horses do things, and if you don't understand the "why," then you will never learn how to control their behavior and get them to do what you want them to do. It's $25 or $30 a month unlimited viewing.

www.warwickschiller.com
                        "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post

You need to take the next 6 months and go through a comprehensive program so that you understand how horses react to their surroundings and process information. This is not something that can be answered in a post. You truly are clueless about horse psychology and if you can't control your emotions, you should not be riding, much less competing. You are going to get yourself hurt.

I've subscribed to Warwick Schiller's video library for years now, and spend a lot of time in the winter watching them over and over. Horses do things the way horses do things, and if you don't understand the "why," then you will never learn how to control their behavior and get them to do what you want them to do. It's $25 or $30 a month unlimited viewing.

www.warwickschiller.com
                          Ok......thank you? Can’t tell if your insults were helpful or not..... but yes, I do need to research horse psychology. And FYI I am not here looking for a life-changing solution, I want tips. I am not going to stop riding, I’m going to learn how to handle my problems with him. Leaving him isn’t going to fix much. It will set him back. I know my horse. It won’t work. And I should stop riding due to a set back? Are you outta your mind? Riding is and always has been the only thing in life I could always count on to make me happy and it kept me sane when my best friends of 10 years up and left. I’ve been through hell and back with him, I’m not giving up now. But thanks anyways.....

and im a barrel racer, the fear of getting hurt doesn’t hold me back. The only thing I’m concerned about is my horse and bystanders. I don’t care if I fall off. Bones heal and blood clots. We have shit to work out and wires to uncross so if you’d be kind enough to let me get back to that, it would be greatly appreciated. I know I shouldn’t be upset with you. I asked for an opinion and you gave it. But it seemed a little harsh since you don’t know me or anything about me besides what you read In one post on the internet.
                          Last edited by Miscellaneous; Oct. 4, 2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Miscellaneous - just so ya know, Palm Beach is a cranky one. Take what you can from whatever is posted and roll your eyeballs at the rest.

Comment

and im a barrel racer, the fear of getting hurt doesn’t hold me back. The only thing I’m concerned about is my horse and bystanders. I don’t care if I fall off. Bones heal and blood clots. We have shit to work out and wires to uncross so if you’d be kind enough to let me get back to that, it would be greatly appreciated. I know I shouldn’t be upset with you. I asked for an opinion and you gave it. But it seemed a little harsh since you don’t know me or anything about me besides what you read In one post on the internet.
                              Well, think of how your post reads to us.

At 12 you bought a 3 year old horse and you have been training it along with 2x week coaching. It is now only 6 (still young) and you're having problems. The chances that you have missed some steps along the way are pretty big.

And then you post that when the horse was reactive to an unknown stimuli while at a show - your response was yelling and in your own words "you couldn't stay calm, you're getting frustrated and angry." You were "pissed off" that the anxious horse was pawing in the trailer. And you feel trapped by the situation.

Where was your trainer at this show? What were they suggesting you do? What does the trainer recommend going forward to introduce your horse to new situations?

I agree that I would back off competition until you bring the horse along better - it sounds like you're having problems under saddle and on the ground. And I agree that I'd rule out pain based on the comments about your horse not doing figure 8s or lead changes like it used to.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Obsidian Fire View Post
                                Miscellaneous - just so ya know, Palm Beach is a cranky one. Take what you can from whatever is posted and roll your eyeballs at the rest.
                                Ok. Thank you. I thought I was being a little dramatic

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by S1969 View Post

Well, think of how your post reads to us.

At 12 you bought a 3 year old horse and you have been training it along with 2x week coaching. It is now only 6 (still young) and you're having problems. The chances that you have missed some steps along the way are pretty big.

And then you post that when the horse was reactive to an unknown stimuli while at a show - your response was yelling and in your own words "you couldn't stay calm, you're getting frustrated and angry." You were "pissed off" that the anxious horse was pawing in the trailer. And you feel trapped by the situation.

Where was your trainer at this show? What were they suggesting you do? What does the trainer recommend going forward to introduce your horse to new situations?

I agree that I would back off competition until you bring the horse along better - it sounds like you're having problems under saddle and on the ground. And I agree that I'd rule out pain based on the comments about your horse not doing figure 8s or lead changes like it used to.
                                  Yes, I will back off competitions until I can work on and fix the things that are going wrong. I was a little pissed off because I didn’t understand what his problem was but I have been informed he isn’t comfortable with me and like you said he was anxious. I think it was also that I’m not use to handling that behaviour. I need to get myself use to handling new situations. My trainer was not at the show and I haven’t had a chance to talk to her yet. I talked to a few of my horse friends and they just said ‘stay calm’ which wasn’t much help because that was the problem.

Also, is there anything I can do to get him to stop pawing at the trailer? We borrow it from a friend and I don’t want him to damage it

Comment

Also, is there anything I can do to get him to stop pawing at the trailer? We borrow it from a friend and I don’t want him to damage it
                                    If the horse is pawing because it is anxious, the solution is to reduce the anxiety. If the anxiety is being produced because it is encountering new, scary things in an unfamiliar place - the solution is time and exposure. There isn't really going to be a "quick fix" about the pawing - it's the symptom, not the problem.

How much has the horse been off the property? You said that this is the first year you've really done it. How often does the horse go to new places? How many shows has the horse been to total?

You can't make a young horse not react to new things by anything other than just continual and gradual exposure to new things. Can you trailer out to new places just to school your horse? Sounds like that might be a useful thing to work on, because the issues under saddle may also be related to being in new places and having distractions, or even that the horse relied on other cues rather than cues from you (if you typically school in a certain way he may anticipate a lead change, for example, rather than respond to your aids.)

Comment

I will give you some of my opinions and I hope you take it to heart and don't get all huffy and insulted because I mean it to help you and your horse.
                                      Too many young people that do games have zero skills in good horsemanship. You've learned to jump on a horse and
                                      try to go fast and furious to win at something.
                                      You urge the horse to go as fast and furious as he can by slapping or whipping or spurring and then jerk on their face to turn fast and yank on their mouth. No good horsemanship here.
                                      Many, many barrel horses get so anxious and soured and get their brains fried so that even outside of the competition area they don't trust their rider not to whomp on them with mistreatment and anger and temper.

What a great way to screw up a horses brain.
                                      What you need to do is stop riding barrels, stop all competition and learn the basics in training your horse using kindness,
                                      understanding and patience.
                                      Try some obstacle training, do some Western Pleasure, go on calm trail rides. Do some trick training.

Your horse isn't the problem here, YOU ARE. The horse is just mimicing his training and his rider. Yes you should be
                                      embarassed how he acted at the show. Because you hadn't properly prepared your horse and he was overfaced.

Take a break from what you're doing and have some empathy for your horse. Otherwise your horse will end up like
                                      many barrel horses with a fried brain. Ruined.
                                      Get a new trainer in a new discipline. Stop the barrels and games. Become a better rider/trainer. Learn to control your anger.
                                      I wish you luck in your riding and with your horse, but you desperately need to change direction.
                                      "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

Ah, just realized that OP is the poster who also revived an older thread about having problems loading their horse, and horse being herdbound.

This thread gives a better picture of the whole situation, so any of our responses on that thread should be modified by our responses on this thread

Comment

Working...
                                        X