Sport Horse Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

THC_1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Things you wish you knew when you bought your first farm...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything everyone has said, and I'll add "manure disposal". I live on small acres and use a dumpster. Strategic placement is key for aesthetics (if you care) but removal and replacement.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

OH! One more very important, I think. If you are running water pipes and electric to barn from another source or any source --put down TWO --in other words --there is a pipe that goes from my well to my barn, about 400 feet away. There is an electric cable that goes from my house to my barn --again, about 400 feet. Both are buried about 5-6 feet. The wise person puts down TWO pipes (one capped at both ends), maybe even side-by-side and two electric cables --again, side by side or somewhat separated. WHEN (if) one pipe becomes "broken" --it is an easy fix to move water source to second pipe --no digging involved --same with electric --should the electric break --switch cables or wires --no digging. Might consider the same if you have water to your pastures or electric underground to pastures.

Comment

Lots of good lessons. With minis, may not matter as much, but as some have alluded to, layout matters!
        - Driveway access for hay suppliers, horse trailers, etc. - I'm shocked how many professional places don't think about that!
        - Storage - outbuildings for not only the horses, but where will you store hay, bedding, feed, equipment? We built a big pole barn and LOVE it.
        - Layout of pastures/barn - my place allows my horses to exit the barn directly into the sacrifice lot, and from there, pastures can be closed off to rest. Saves tons of time leading horses to/from turnout.
        - Run-in options - I added overhangs to my barn because that's what space allowed, and love not being stressed about weather changes. This kind of goes with above - minimizing the time horses are in, while still knowing they have shelter, makes life a LOT easier
        - Manure disposal - as others note, this is a big one. Some places compost/have a spreader, some contract out removal, I live near a landscaping company and have a dump trailer to remove it - but have a PLAN
        - Drainage - yep, mud is the enemy, avoid it if you can, or budget to at least make the areas around the barn mud-free
        - Dry lots - will minis need a dry lot? Will you need a horse to be on a restricted diet? I don't have this currently, so using grazing muzzle on the air fern, but it might be a nice improvement
        - Set-up costs/equipment maintenance - tractors, mowers, chainsaws, whatever. Tractors aren't cheap, but they hold value, so new is normally better than used. Some properties will roll in a deal on their equipment - if the owners are downsizing from a farm, they may not need their stuff - sometimes that can be a decent initial option
        - Safety - good electric in the barn, solid construction, good fencing/gates, etc.
        - Location - I love that I live in a horsey area, but not next to major agriculture - the dust from fields at harvest is horrific, and the chemicals used are scary! I'm also close to amenities
        - Barn improvements vs. house improvements - you'll get more return on investment in improving a house than a barn, so if the property seems ideal, except for the house, vs. a property with a great house and lacking horse amenities, buy the horse stuff you like, and fix the house

And when you get into it, prioritize the needed things, of course, but you CAN drive yourself nuts with everything you want to do. Remember to take time to enjoy it!!!

Comment

All good suggestions. I’ll second the availability of decent Internet access. That was a derailer for us on several properties. Really hard to work with any flexibility without it.

Also, building/renovating anything is crazy expensive these days. All things equal try to find nice horse facilities and be willing to renovate a house. That way if life intervenes and you need to move you might not lose your shirt. You’ll get some return for renovating the house, not likely the case for building or substantially upgrading horse facilities (in most areas).

Comment

More spigots than you ever think you might need

For minis, lots of systems of gates and paddocks/runs. It will help you with rotational grazing but minimizing as much grass as they get into their greedy little mini mouths. I planned out for my mini donkeys and they are doing dandy on just 1/3 acre year round.

Overbuild everything. Go ahead and expect you will have crazy/shitty neighbors, and learn fencing laws and trespassing laws. Buy signage regarding private property/trespassing/privately owned horses. Especially with minis. Read my thread I started about my former neighbors and their freakin cows.

But honestly, have fun! It's annoying at times and I cried more going through my purchase process (on BARE LAND even) than I did going through either of my divorces, because I had a horrible loan officer who I still wish bad things upon. Compared to that witch, dealing with contractors and the building process was a cake walk. I did just get a setback because the guy who was going to put in my arena had to push me to next year because his employee quit suddenly and with no notice, and now he's delayed and can't get to me before the wet season.

That reminds me. If you aren't moving regions and are just looking at buying in an area you already know well, network! Everyone knows someone and having a name makes it so much easier. I met a friend, not sure how exactly but I think Facebook, and I bring him and his wife all my manure (they are organic growers), and through him I also had a place to put all my crappy topsoil when I built my runs and did my landscaping, and he will also happily take the topsoil when the arena guy does get to me. His wife helped me get my garden up and is always willing to answer questions. My hay guy is also a septic guy and has a dump truck for hire and brings me rock when I need a lot, instead of umptymillion loads with either my or my Dad's dump trailers, and he can get the rock at his bulk pricing to pass savings on to me, and the guy at the quarry was the one who recommended the guy who will do my arena, who incidentally was also the guy who did the dig out for my septic and also my driveway so he knows my land. I got a couple guys who I knew through building my house to come help my Dad put the roof on my equipment shed way cheaper than it would have been to get some unknowns. I know a guy down the road from me through work, and he has a big tractor and auger, and he's come over and done fence post holes and also dug a water line for me at some ridiculous price like $20/hr because he just likes playing on his tractor. Networking is the bomb
            COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post

That reminds me. If you aren't moving regions and are just looking at buying in an area you already know well, network! Everyone knows someone and having a name makes it so much easier. I met a friend, not sure how exactly but I think Facebook, and I bring him and his wife all my manure (they are organic growers), and through him I also had a place to put all my crappy topsoil when I built my runs and did my landscaping, and he will also happily take the topsoil when the arena guy does get to me. His wife helped me get my garden up and is always willing to answer questions. My hay guy is also a septic guy and has a dump truck for hire and brings me rock when I need a lot, instead of umptymillion loads with either my or my Dad's dump trailers, and he can get the rock at his bulk pricing to pass savings on to me, and the guy at the quarry was the one who recommended the guy who will do my arena, who incidentally was also the guy who did the dig out for my septic and also my driveway so he knows my land. I got a couple guys who I knew through building my house to come help my Dad put the roof on my equipment shed way cheaper than it would have been to get some unknowns. I know a guy down the road from me through work, and he has a big tractor and auger, and he's come over and done fence post holes and also dug a water line for me at some ridiculous price like $20/hr because he just likes playing on his tractor. Networking is the bomb
              This x100!!! My septic guy just finished installing insulation underneath my house for a good price after the "contractor" I hired did a shitty job and took my money. Network with everyone because you never know what will pop up. I've had a neighbor bushhog my field before we had a mower happily for a few dozen eggs.

Make sure you and your husband are OK with unfinished projects. That's my main problem right now, I'm completely fine with pretty much everything being half done but my bf isn't. It's caused some tension so I'm hurrying through a list of projects to finish so he's not as annoyed.

Comment

If you have well water, consider installing a hand pump for those times when you lose power. And definitely treat yourself to a generator as soon as the budget permits.

It sounds like a luxury, but surveillance cameras in the barn and outside the paddocks are worth the investment and the piece of mind. If you cannot afford the cameras right off the bat, at least considering having the electrician run the wiring for the cameras while they are there doing the main electrical work.

Oh. And be sure to add plenty of storage into your plans. Within a year of moving in to our facility, we were mapping out spots to add more closet space.

Comment

OP, you can spread manure directly onto your pasture with no ill effects. Just sprinkle a half cup of 21-0-0 per 1,000 lb horse after each stall if there is a wet spot. If no wet spot, every few stalls. I also add pelleted lime. When the spreader is full, I spread. It's not the manure that causes problems, it's the wood shavings. If you use straw or something not wood based, you probably don't need to add nitrogen.
                  "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

Be aware of the 100 year flood zones. It doesn't mean once in 100yrs, it means a 1% chance every year.
                    Ours flooded a few years after purchase. Then it flooded THREE times last year and wiped out a new fenceline!
                    People want creeks, ponds and road frontage, but they come with headaches. So do trees.
                    Creeks flood, erode and collapse in on themselves. Do not add fencelines near them! I have about 300ft of original fencing that is now teetering on vanishing during the next big flood, 100ft of it 1-4ft from edge of creek that used to be 5-7ft of space...Trees hold land together, until they don't and take out chunks of land and fencing, or even buildings...beware.
                    Ponds can have catastrophic wall failures, of its built into hills. Watch out for the runoff paths, into and out of the pond. With last year's near constant rain, the runoff from my pond caused the area to widen, deepen. I have a small section of pasture that needs to be fenced off soon because of UNDER GROUND shallow water tunnels! There were only 2 small holes 2yrs ago, now new ones open regularly. You've seen the videos of sheep, foals and alpacas dug out of impossibly tiny holes? Yeah, I fear that and broken legs.
                    Road frontage. General pollution, getting driveway buried in winter by tall, compacted ice/snow hills, chemicals they spray up into vegetation. What is it? No one could tell me. People are nosie, clean, open fenceline invites people to trespass and pet the pretty little ponies.
                    Trees love to crash down on all your expensive stuff. Willows are said to be trash trees, but the American Sycamore is far worse. ALL tree roots seek water in shallow ground.
                    Back to holes, check for groundhog damage! Our property was infested, luckil, adding a LGD convinced them to move along.
                    if you have cattle neighbors, build fencing strong enough to keep them out and keep your possibly spooked minis in, just in case a few steers escape and come wandering by.
                    Hills are nice, mountain sized hills are not. Flat is great, if it drains. A house on a hill can still flood.
                    This one is for everyone...Please put gutters on ALL if your buildings! Water erosion happens quickly and no one wants to deal with the huge, long ruts and flooding after you sell.
                    If the land is not virgin land, watch out for trash under the surface. I recently bought a metal detector and have found tons of nails, spikes, tpost sections, chains, wire, fencing, cans, odd sections of metal and cattle ear tags. Another section of property was used for glass and some metal cans.
                    I think that covers what others didn't, or at least all of my issues I've had to share. Heh.
                    Oh!
                    Mud grids! Install them now, before the mud starts to develop!

Comment

I am trying to come up with a list of things we should know about
                      get a full length mirror then stand in front of it to practice saying No

No, I do not need you dog
                      No, I do not need your cat with its eight kittens
                      No, you can not ______ (insert nearly every word that is currently in the Webster's dictionary)

practice your smile as you learn to pronounce No with authority but not condemnation
                      Last edited by clanter; Sep. 25, 2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Clanter is so right. No pony rides, no trespassing, no boarders, no picnics, no touching or feeding the horses.
                        You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Originally posted by JanM View Post
                          Clanter is so right. No pony rides, no trespassing, no boarders, no picnics, no touching or feeding the horses.
                          but, unicorns ... they cost $500 to be present at your kid's birthday party

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6950.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	10485015

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all SO MUCH for this feedback so far.

We are actually looking into moving to the Aiken area (or a little outside of it) from Western NY, so it's definitely a long way away for us in terms of distance, so it's definitely going to be a little bit harder to figure it out.

Comment

For me, I never realized how little I actually knew how to do when I bought my farm. There is so many little things that were a big big learning curve for me the first year. It was also the first time I owned a house instead of renting. Definitely make a budget, then double it. There were so many miscellaneous expenses that I didn't account for.

I wouldn't trade having the horses at home for anything. But I've learned a lot. I think my vet is on speed dial on my phone now.

I still don't have a barn but the horses have plenty of tree cover. Make a list of everything that you want then prioritize. That has been a huge help for me.

Comment

Originally posted by horsegal301 View Post

We are actually looking into moving to the Aiken area (or a little outside of it) from Western NY, so it's definitely a long way away for us in terms of distance, so it's definitely going to be a little bit harder to figure it out.
                                If it's an option I'd suggest moving first, renting for a bit while you look to buy. You'll be able to understand the land much better if you have time to visit your potential properties many times and are familiar with the general area during different seasons. If not, then maybe take an extended vacation or two in the area first.
                                If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Don't underestimate how much it will cost for all of the work tools you'll need. Everything from rakes, garbage cans, barn equipment, pasture and yard maintenance, and a basic tool kit for home and barn maintenance can get pricey.
                                  You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

I've never been there, but I understand it's pretty horse friendly. You should be able to find something and evaluate it wrt all the above concerns with no problem. Good luck!
                                    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

keep the snow shovel, when we moved from northern Kentucky to Texas we kept our snow shovel to use to strip stalls

Comment

Did the people who built your arena raise it above surrounding land or will a river run through it when it rains hard?

Did you know that a well can freeze if it's not far enough underground?

Did anyone insulate the pipes in the walls?

Do the drain tiles still work?

Our aisle is 12 feet wide. You can pull a truck and hay wagon all the way down from end to end and put hay in the loft right off the wagon. It's brilliant.
                                        http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by OneTwoMany View Post

It sounds like a luxury, but surveillance cameras in the barn and outside the paddocks are worth the investment and the piece of mind. If you cannot afford the cameras right off the bat, at least considering having the electrician run the wiring for the cameras while they are there doing the main electrical work..
                                          Oh how timely Just caught my neighbor and his daughter/granddaughter on my driveway this morning while waiting for the school bus, and he was being all snarky about my "flerers" are all dead because I didn't take care of them (it's end of Sept bro) and how he never sees anyone riding my horses. Different than the cow neighbors. People are so friggin' weird, cameras are the best. Mine are WiFi connected and wireless, so I can move them around as I need or want, I have five: one covers the front walk leading to the front door, one to the back deck and slider, one covering the front of the garage, one in the barn aisle, and my floater that just goes where I fancy... the garden to spot birds, a run in to try to catch a horse somehow opening a gate, and now at my gated entrance, actually just to see what was digging in the aforementioned "fler" bed.
                                          COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Working...
                                          X