Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Spratt_air 1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

came for the summer, ? staying for winter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• came for the summer, ? staying for winter?

I don't know how to approach this.
    I run a half dozen of my own horses on my farm. All teenagers or older (a lot older), so reliable to be around.
    A friend asked to board a two-year old for the summer, pasture board, leaving when the grass quit growing. So he should have been gone last week. I didn't ask for any payment, said she could coach my daughters in exchange. Turns out she is now pregnant, and really sick with it and unable to come out on a regular basis - hardly been out at all. She is having difficulty finding a new location for him as the original plan for the fall/winter fell through.
    He has kicked out at least one board in my outside shelter, is kicking a hole in the hay manger, and will need blanketing if he's here in winter. He is now eating hay - as it gets colder he will eat more (he's a big boy, will eat a lot) which will mess with my calculations for what i needed for the winter for my bunch. I plan my hay pretty close to run out in june when new crop is on. i can't afford to run out in april.
    I am physically unable to blanket a 16+hand horse, and especially a 2yo who as far as i know might never had had one on. He's well behaved, but i have no desire to be out there in 30below weather switching out a blanket because he's too cold. I'm also worried that if he does kick out the hay manger, he will catch a tendon in the splinters. I did tell her that he was doing this.
    I feel like a sh!t for insisting that she move him out, but I cannot change his blanket, she won't be able to, i will run out of hay before i had planned, and nowhere else would you get free board.
    Just looking for thoughts -- what should i do?

Tell her to move the horse. You feel bad about that but you will feel worse when he starts to suffer because you cannot care for him, and you will feel even worse if you run out of hay for your horses.

Don't feel like a shit. You aren't.

Comment

You need to give her 30 days' notice, and do that sooner rather than later. She will figure something out. You have been nice already. Let someone else have a turn.
      The armchair saddler
      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Stick with your plan • she must move him •
        Too many variables for you to deal with especially HAY !

Tell her in writing and follow up with a call ... she needs to move him by ? October 1st .... ? October 15th .?

Decide on the date you need .... in the mean time consult with an attorney to formulate step 2.

GOOD LUCK ...sorry you in this uncomfortable struggle

GET IT DONE !
        Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Hope he is gone before he injures himself, the way he is acting.
          You may be adding taking care of injuries for the foreseeable future.

It is really nice to help others.
          Not nice when they are not considerate of your needs.

She needs to move him, now.

Comment

"Hi, (name), I just want to touch base with you on (horse). I have not budgeted in having another horse for winter, and now I am starting to feed hay, I need (horse) to be out in the next (timeframe)."

And then if they counter by saying they'll help/buy hay/supply more hay, you can rejoinder with

"I appreciate the offer, but unfortunately I am unable to accommodate keeping him here in winter due to my own physical limitations."

It sounds like she's looked but hasn't found something - but the need to find something is always less urgent when you have a very nice fall-back that doesn't convey urgency in removing the horse from the premise. Add urgency to the situation, stick her feet to the coals a little (and you can be polite and kind as you do so, but be firm and insistent) and set a deadline. If she needs to pay board at a place for a month or two, so be it.

Her horsekeeping challenges should not be your problem - and I hope you do not let them become so.

Comment

• Original Poster

I just feel bad because she has been really really sick with this pregnancy. In and out of hospital for fluids every 3 or 4 days. Hardly even out of bed - so that's why i feel like a terrible person.

Comment

You are not a terrible person! You agreed to care for this young horse "for the summer, until the grass quit growing". The horse owner knew this was a temporary arrangement.

You have done that, and don't have the hay or physical resources to care for it through the winter.

As others have said, just be kind but firm.

"I can't give Young Horse the care he needs over the winter. I can keep him until (date) , if you can find him a new spot sooner that would be great!"

Now, if she can buy his hay AND pay a reliable person to do his care, AND if you're ok with a third party on your farm, that might be a solution - at least until she's feeling better and can make arrangements to move him.

In any case, you are NOT a terrible person.

Comment

• Original Poster

oh, thank you for the responses. I needed to hear from horse people -- I'm basically a baby sitter for my girls' horses -- Not complaining about that -- they help out as much as they can. As much as I love the horses, I depend on the girls to know when there is a problem that i need to take care of. So the last thing I needed is an extra mouth to feed....

Comment

Absolutely not a horrible person. To be frank, her personal situation is not your problem. It's her horse, and her responsibility to find appropriate accommodations for. You have been a more than generous friend, you have no obligation to continue, especially when it means a considerable amount of additional effort and stress for you going into winter. Give an inch and they'll take a mile, every.single.time. I was reminded of this recently as well, having given someone (I thought was a friend) eight months free board only to be shat on in the end. Such is life.
                    Custom tack racks!
                    www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

Not that it is in any way your responsibility, but would you be able to help her source out a new boarding option and arrange hauling? It's an awkward situation, but if she is really that sick, she may be unable to do the leg work herself and are you prepared to enforce a time line? And I would start charging her for hay + damage + your time if you aren't already.
                      Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                        Not that it is in any way your responsibility, but would you be able to help her source out a new boarding option and arrange hauling? It's an awkward situation, but if she is really that sick, she may be unable to do the leg work herself and are you prepared to enforce a time line? And I would start charging her for hay + damage + your time if you aren't already.
                        An addition to this: When "damage" is being mentioned, don't just factor in the raw materials required to repair (or pay someone to repair), but the time spent doing so. Having to source material, transport it, or contact someone and arrange a schedule around being available for them to come and do repairs... I think boarders often forget that fixing things is never "just" the cost of a few boards. It is more than fair to set a price for this that compensates you for the material, the time, and the inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunwaukin View Post
                          oh, thank you for the responses. I needed to hear from horse people -- I'm basically a baby sitter for my girls' horses -- Not complaining about that -- they help out as much as they can. As much as I love the horses, I depend on the girls to know when there is a problem that i need to take care of. So the last thing I needed is an extra mouth to feed....
                          So her horse has been at your place for free all summer, and she did not coach the girls as she agreed to because she is sick from being pregnant, and her horse is destructive? You are much kinder than most people would be. Charge her NOW for keeping the horse. I understand that things did not turn out as planned for her, but she needs major motivation to get out, and a bill should help. He is eating hay, she needs to pay for it, and also the damage. But make sure you witnessed him causing the damage, or can somehow prove it. So give her a bill that is in line with board in your area for this month and don't feel bad about it.
                          "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

How about charging her for the winter? Enough that you're happy (which will be more than you actually expect to spend, including repairs). Why blanket? - he'll grow hair. This way you're helping her out but you're not put out. You are in a tough spot but you have to do what works for you or no one will be happy.

Comment

I wonder if that friend doesn't has the money, why staying there without paying all summer and not getting the horse moved asap when realizing friend can't really keep it any more and he is a problem?

That one friend may need to see first if she even needs to own such a horse, in her situation, or move it to some trainer that will get it ready to sell and sell it to someone that can take care of it properly?

Just more to wonder, with the information given.

Comment

• Original Poster

Winter is not an option -- i'm too old (>60) to take a chance of ending up on the ground. My guys are dead calm, and are a hand , to hand and a half shorter. I can change their blankets no problem. But I can't reach over a 16+ guy.
                                I was just out to the shelter, and there are three boards broken off the hay box. Can I prove it was him -- no, but the box has been there for 5 years until now with no damage, and i have seen him standing with front feet in it. circumstantial evidence, i know.
                                You have helped me decide. Gone at end of September. No ifs ands or buts.

Comment

Maybe offer to help her sell this horse if you can. It doesn’t sound like her current life is going to allow her to enjoy having a horse.

Comment

Originally posted by jonem004 View Post
                                    Maybe offer to help her sell this horse if you can. It doesn’t sound like her current life is going to allow her to enjoy having a horse.
                                    That's a whole 'nother train wreck.
                                    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

Been there done that more than once. In the past I have "helped" people out. Let them board here for free while they fix their barn or get a stall ready, etc. Then fall rolls around and they are still here. I am in the same boat. I put in X amount of hay for X amount of horses. The extra horses are going to cut into my stockpile and I am going to run short. And here's the thing... I don't get to keep my horses here for free. I have to pay for the feed, bedding, electric, etc. So when I run short I am scrambling around to get hay. Are they there helping me find it, or load it, or pay for it?

Long story short I don't do favors any more. I can't afford it.

Just like our eyes, our hearts have a way of adjusting to the dark.--Adam Stanley

Comment

OP, what did you decide?

Comment

Working...
                                        X