Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Hooray It Is Raining!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooray It Is Raining!

Mid-Michigan here and it is raining today! A small blessing for us after almost 4 weeks without rain. It may not amount to much but we sure need it. Seems like the rain has gone north or south of us recently. My pastures are just "green looking dirt" nothing to graze, so we have been feeding hay. That expensive first cutting hay we got for winter!! We still needed some more to have our winter quantity, even before feeding out any of it. And the price is not going down, with most sellers at $6 bale for grass hay, first cutting.

After the early season, daily rain until late June, who would think things would go so far in the opposite direction, so fast? Obviously this is not drought as the Western states get it, but it has been hard to watch here. Most years we don't feed hay until Sept. But things are "not normal" any more! Guess I need to plan for more of these changes in the future. This rain ( and some more like it is welcome!) may help bring on hay growth to get a nice second cutting reasonably soon. We grow a lot of hay around here, so no rain has been a worry for growers and buyers.

I tilled and seeded some places in the pastures in early July, but with no rain there was no growth either. I WAS planning to till up more, sure glad I did not! Looking at the bare dirt has been dicouraging, to say the least. Horses have liked rolling there, because I had to open those fields for grazing as drought went on. "Soft dirt" I guess. Hauling water to the little trees in my fenced off corners to keep them alive. Not enough roots yet to be deep in the ground for the clay level water. Glad not to be a real farmer at times!! Very discouraging at times. Enough whining, it IS raining!

Anyway, hope those who need it are also getting some rain.

Rains here and August is our second wettest month have been spotty also.

Two days ago a neighbor had 1.2" and we had .04".
    It has been like this all year, we had enough rain, just light and spotty ones.
    We are not complaining, for us droughts mean months without measurable rain.

That is weather patterns for you, they don't truly have any pattern when it comes to local weather, you either are under a cloud or not.

Comment

Writing from Central Florida -- wish we could send you some of our rain. Daily downpours .... some of our pastures have turned into swamps and the pond is over flowing. 1.5"-2" per day lately. And we haven't even had any tropical storms yet .....

Comment

We've had two good hard rains here in Georgia the past couple of days. I'm glad y'all got some up north too, goodhors!

Rack on!

Comment

I'm South of you, NW IN.
          We got a good rain < steady downpour for more than 20min - last week.
          Back to bonedry now.

It has been a weird Summer.
          My hayguy got 1st cutting in late July.
          Looks like there will be a 2nd, but 3rd....{shrugs}
          I got my year's supply in the barn. Pastures are so-so, but enough growing so hay consumption is waaaaay down.

Corn is late too, just tasseling now.
          Beans look good, considering how late they got planted.

I'm waiting to see produce prices at the grocery.
          Could be high, along with meat as feed corn is what's being grown here.

On the bright side, my tomato plants just started ripening fruit.
          I do not mind being buried in tomatoes!
          Overage will become sauce for the freezer.
          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I live in the thumb of Michigan and we've only had 9 tenths of an inch of rain since early July. My pastures look like the desert and the grass crunches
            when you walk on it. I got first cutting of hay, but second cutting isn't going to happen. It seems like any rain in the area splits off and goes above and/or below our farm. We had all that early rain but once that quit we've had nothing. It's depressing and it doesn't look like we're getting any relief in the near future.

Comment

Western Michigan here, and I was SO glad to hear it raining last night! I CAN water the yard, as I am on "city (Lake Michigan) water", but that comes with a co$t. I am making sure my rose bush, some newly seeded grass (small area), and a few other plants are getting water, but the main yard is basically on its own.

I know my barn owner was having some problems finding hay. However, as I had to put down my gelding a few weeks ago, that's one less horse he has to worry about feeding.
              Last edited by RHdobes563; Aug. 16, 2019, 12:04 PM.
              "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Comment

Central/south TX and I'm jealous! Of course, it's August here with heat indexes of 101-108 the past few weeks. I guess I'm saving on diesel not having to shred pastures! But yikes......it's dang dry.

Comment

Please take some of Florida's rain. 6 inches in the last 24 hours. Non Stop downpour. The closest city to me is shutdown because the roads are flooded.

Comment

Originally posted by 4horses View Post
                    Please take some of Florida's rain. 6 inches in the last 24 hours. Non Stop downpour. The closest city to me is shutdown because the roads are flooded.
                    Yep nonstop here since Thursday night.

You'd think in this day-and-age we'd have developed some way to collect and transport rain water from places getting too much to places not getting enough. Like instead of oil pipelines, let's install water pipelines.
                    Custom tack racks!
                    www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post

Yep nonstop here since Thursday night.

You'd think in this day-and-age we'd have developed some way to collect and transport rain water from places getting too much to places not getting enough. Like instead of oil pipelines, let's install water pipelines.
                      There has been talk of that for decades, but at about a cost of a million a mile, who would be paying for that?

Pickens tried to sell water thru a pipeline to places East of here that could use more, but never could quite get financing to work for the cost of easements and building and maintaining such pipelines.

There may come a time where we will be using so much water we will have to find a way to provide for feasible water transport to where it will be needed.

Comment

Just got our hay in for the year and it is beautiful!

This year was just right to grow hay and put it up, could have been a bit more moisture to bale it, but the quality is excellent.

Comment

second year of drought here, a lot of farms are getting only 1/4 to 1/2 there normal hay yield again so prices have increased dramatically. Of course pastures are pretty sad too, so people are having to feed hay early to add insult to injury. Send us some rain if you can.

Comment

I wish we could send you rain sherian ! I think we have had 4 or 5 rain free days since the first day of summer. We have already had morning frost, and when it is decent out, we are plagued by a bumper crop of mosquitos. Our hay guy hasn't been able to bale any hay yet this year, and who knows when it will be dry enough to bale any, so getting a bit stressed about hay prices. (our neighbour's guy cut down their field on Thursday...it has rained every day since. Very sad to see the brown rows of wasted hay). Hard to be motivated to show or go on any outings this summer when it is constantly wet and cold.

I do think I prefer this to last years smoke from the forest fires, but with winter fast approaching, I really want to be able to teach outside again!
                            Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

I've had a circle of sunshine around my place all summer. Rain all around, just not here. Pure sunshine. Off to water some trees and bushes.
                              "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post
                                I've had a circle of sunshine around my place all summer. Rain all around, just not here. Pure sunshine. Off to water some trees and bushes.
                                we are the east side of downtown Ft Worth.... the high rise buildings in the core of downtown often deflect fronts coming form the west around us... we are in sort of a downwind area of a wind break.... disheartening when rain is needed but a positive for when tornado warnings are issued.
                                Not responsible for typographical errors.

Comment

Working...
                                X