Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Front - Main
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

I'm tired of buying hoses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm tired of buying hoses

Please tell me what kind of hoses you use around the barn. I am so tired of (even in the summertime) having hoses that split, have bad couplings, etc. with minimal use. My hose does hang where it gets sun about half of daylight hours. I'd be happy with a hose that lasts a FULL year, not just a season!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

have to laugh as I read this title as Tired of buying Horses... yeah me too

hoses... must have brass fittings, those plastic/nylon fittings just cross thread

also the more you pay for the beloved hose the greater the probability your favorite horse will stomp the end flat
    Not responsible for typographical errors.

Comment

I read it that way too Clanter ! LOL

Comment

Our barn uses the really heavy black hoses with metal ends. The one is at least 2.5 years old and going strong. We are just now replacing the cheap little plastic hose end that we shut on/off when watering. It has lasted pretty long and is all of $3 to replace. However they are all inside the barn. Would you be able to set it up so you drape a tarp over it when not in use or put it under a flipped over muck tub so that the UV lighting isn't beating on it so much?
        Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Craftsman black rubber hose. Been using them for 20+ years with no issues.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/craftsman-5...0Kyw&gclsrc=ds
          "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post

hoses... must have brass fittings, those plastic/nylon fittings just cross thread

also the more you pay for the beloved hose the greater the probability your favorite horse will stomp the end flat
            You just cut the flat bit off and put a barbed fitting back in after soaking that puppy in boiling hot water. Our hoses are all patchwork hoses haha.

I wonder what the longevity of it will be, but I love the feel and "hangability" of the Flexzilla hose someone brought out to the barn.

Side note - pet peeve - people who don't know how to put away water hoses/air hoses/cords correctly. Rotate your hand, people! It's like a lariat, damnit.

Comment

1. I also read "horses", lollol

2. Ditto rubber hoses. I don't have Craftsman brand but I do have 1" diameter, 50' rubber hoses from TSC that have lasted several years. I keep those fire hose style nozzles on the hoses, so the ends have stayed in tact.

They have been run over by vehicles of various weights and remain unscathed

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post
                ROTFL my dyslexia had me going all the way through the OPs paragraph...

Please tell me what kind of hoRses you use around the barn. I am so tired of (even in the summertime) having hoRses that split, have bad couplings, etc. with minimal use. My hoRse does hang where it gets sun about half of daylight hours. I'd be happy with a hoRse that lasts a FULL year, not just a season!
                huh? I had to read it a third time before the "R"s disappeared. <sigh>

Anyway - the one hose we've had for years and years that (until recently) proved to be indestructible, smoosh proof, and is always reliable is an Element Industrial Pro hose. My husband ran it over with the garden tractor a week ago - and it was in three pieces. So I used hose repair kits to stitch the poor thing back together. Can never have enough hose repair pieces at my farm! It has the heaviest solid brass fittings on both male and female ends of the hose. No way to smoosh them - even if you run it over with a Suburban.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Element-...00CC/202210372
                ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Heavy rubber hose that is rated for hot water. Ours is red and we bought it at TS. Pricey, but has paid for itself several times over.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Premium-...8070/100580705

Not the exact hose we have, but this is the type that will last.

Comment

I have a grey and yellow Craftsman hose that seems indestructible. It's crazy heavy and tough to coil when it's cold but the damned thing Just. Won't. Die. It's got to be a decade old, or close.

Also picked up this guy recently and it's been performing very nicely. Got tired of dragging the other one back and forth :-/

Comment

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post
                      Craftsman black rubber hose. Been using them for 20+ years with no issues.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/craftsman-5...0Kyw&gclsrc=ds
                      This is what my Barn Owner uses. Very durable. But... what's happening with Craftsman now that Sears is closing?
                      "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Originally posted by PeteyPie View Post
                        This is what my Barn Owner uses. Very durable. But... what's happening with Craftsman now that Sears is closing?
                        I was just in Lowe’s last week and they have the complete line of Craftsman. I don’t know if the Craftsman line was sold to them, but I doubt it will go away since the tools are such good quality.
                        "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

I have some craftsman hoses that I bought in the 1980s that are still perfectly intact. They are blue, rubber and have ten sides instead of being round. I did some research and have come to believe that they were manufactured by a hose company called Apex. Look for rubber hoses with ten sides and you'll find the best hoses on the market. They are pricey and heavy but will last forever. There is a company called Dramm that still makes the ten sided rubber hoses. Apex may as well--they do. It's called their industrial duty hose and can be used with both hot and cold water.
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apex-Indust...0AAOSwGM5dNYV1

Black and Decker/Stanley/Dewalt bought the Craftsman tool line. Whether they bought the hose line as well is a very good question.
                          "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                          Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Earlier this year I discovered that there are businesses that repair and replace hoses! I had the joy of going to Tipco to get new hoses for the tractor and discovered they have everything hose related, can replace fittings and are very helpful. I know the staff thought I was a lunatic being in awe of what they offered, It was a revelation to me and Mr. IF is happy that I like going there for parts that he needs.
                            Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
                            http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

I got a Zero G hose thinking it was going to be the Best Thing Ever. Damn thing didn't even last a couple months, the outer sleeve separated from the sprayer end and once that happened the inner rubber tube would swell if the hose was pressurized. A giant water balloon formed on the end and then it burst.
                              So I tossed it and went and got a Flexzilla hose, from Lowes I believe. ~6 months in, so far so good. It spins freely inside this outer plastic handle so it really never kinks, it's pretty easy to coil up although it doesn't have a lot of "memory" to it. That being said, it would probably function really well in an actual reel.

Comment

Originally posted by splitrockfarmnc View Post
                                I got a Zero G hose thinking it was going to be the Best Thing Ever. Damn thing didn't even last a couple months, the outer sleeve separated from the sprayer end and once that happened the inner rubber tube would swell if the hose was pressurized. A giant water balloon formed on the end and then it burst.
                                I really like the expandy hoses for easy of use and lightness, but feel pretty good if they last a year. I look for ones with okay reviews on Amazon and plan on just replacing when they blow up. Sometimes they come with a 12 month guarantee--and I did have that honored after contacting the seller They sent another hose, that lasted another 10 or so months!

Comment

Just about lost my coffee!!
                                  I read 'what kind of horses do you buy', also!! and I am so tired of horses that SPIT LOL

I bought yellow air hose and put my own ends on. It is a bit heavy but it has lasted for several years. The hose can get stepped on without damage. Rolls up without kinks.

Comment

Flexzilla hoses...no kinking that can't be unkinked with a sharp tug, the big sell for me! They're hard on the eyes (fluorescent limey yellow ) but once they dirty up not too bad. Ours are long so we don't hang them, just figure eight out of the way.

We're at the end of the second year of use. No problems.
                                    One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
                                    William Shakespeare

Comment

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post

I was just in Lowe’s last week and they have the complete line of Craftsman. I don’t know if the Craftsman line was sold to them, but I doubt it will go away since the tools are such good quality.
                                      Ehhhhh.... they were popular for the warranty, not the quality.

Comment

Eley hoses! Made of polyurethane, they are tough and drinking water safe. (Most hoses have lead in them or their fittings apparently.) https://www.eleyhosereels.com/collections/garden-hoses

Comment

Working...
                                        X