Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Away Shows/LQ Trailer/Camper/Stall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Away Shows/LQ Trailer/Camper/Stall

So as I'm adding more away shows to my calendar and affordability.... I need some help and advice on deciding on weather I should invest in a LQ horse trailer or a cheap camper or if allowed pitch a tent or stay in a stall. depending on weather though i'd rather be in a LQ trailer or camper. or is it best to just stick with the good ol hotel and/or Air B&B? just would be easier and nicer to stay at the show grounds with the horse and not have to travel back and forth. Also looking for the cheapest option as well.

The cheapest option has to be just sleeping in the horse trailer. Pick out the poop, add some extra shavings if you want. Did that last week, horse camping. The one thing I would add next time is to get a big canvas psinters drop cloth and cover all the shavings wall to wall. We shut the ramp and went in and out the escape doors. You could also sleep on the back seat of a crew cab pickup truck.

Definitely more comfortable than s tent.

If you are worried about the weather you can get a pop up shelter for your cook stove and camp chairs.

The other thing to lower your cost is to seriously pack all your meals and snacks because show concessions are pricey for what you get.

Some facilities have showers, and you could always hose off in the washrack otherwise.

Comment

It depends on the kind of showing you are doing. Back when I looked at h/j camper spot costs and just said Nope. It might have made sense for people who are there all week (or 2 or 3 weeks), but when you factored in the cost of the LQ and the $225/week (10 years ago) for me to stay Fri/Sat night... I decided I would rather have ice cold A/C and a maid for what would work out to be less money.

Fast forward to present day and I now show CDE and some dressage. Camping spots are by the day and it makes more sense to pay for that instead of hotels (which are rarely close to the venue). Many CDE competitors do semi-primitive camping in their trailer (or insanely luxurious RV living, depending on your $$ level) and I decided to join their ranks (the semi primitive ranks, that is ), but if you want a GN and you need to move 2 (eventually) carriages plus horses... that is a lot longer/more expensive rig than I want to deal with. So I went with a BP with room in front of the horse for the carriage (2nd carriage goes in the truck bed). That area becomes my LQ at away shows. I had it insulated and wired for outlets/30amp plug in. I thought about adding A/C but decided to save $$$ with a portable A/C unit and a space heater instead (which is a bit of a PITA, but then again I will NEVER be repairing an a/c roof leak so there is that).

So I have an inflatable air mattress/cot, a camper toilet (a friend had the brilliant idea to empty it in the porta potty before you leave), coleman stove, yeti type cooler, room for my navigator's cot, a pop up tent (soon to be replaced by an awning) and I may add a cowboy shower in the back, but all the facilities I've been to have showers so even if I had the option, I'm not sure how often I would use it. My beloved McGuinn tack box that lives in the trailer has now been converted to a camping supply box. Oh how the HP has fallen! It also becomes the "coffee nook/wine bar" when camping, and let's face it, in its 25 year lifespan, that may be its finest role yet.

It's a new trailer and I'm religious about cleaning it out, but since it is one big open space with no formal DR, I do what most people do, just put a tarp over the shavings after cleaning it out (and then an outdoor carpet because I have one). So that's the budget/practical (for my purposes) approach.

You may want to join a fb group called HORSE TRAILER-Bumper Pull CONVERSION TO LQ. Some are a little over the top, but a lot of really good ideas for making LQs in small spaces
      Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Originally posted by DMK View Post
        It depends ... I decided I would rather have ice cold A/C and a maid for what would work out to be less money.
        me too after two years of camping in Asia really did not want to go through that again.

These days I would lean toward the full LQ with all the stuff
        Not responsible for typographical errors.

Comment

The biggest benefits of the LQ are you have all your stuff in one place; parking is usually very close to where horses are tied/stabled/pastured (if you forget something "in the room" it's not a problem); you don't have to eat "show food" (of course some folks like show food; go figure ); you can take a nap in relative peace and quiet during the day if you want; you can drink and schmooze after hours and don't have to drive anyplace. But, it is expensive, as you have to tie up a lot of capital in the trailer and a truck to pull it. Mileage will not be something you want to talk about. Big trailers sometimes have big tax, registration, and/or maintenance bills. Neither the pro nor con list is really complete but you get the idea!!!

Like clanter, I don't find sleeping on the ground very "uplifting." I was Navy, not Marine, for many reasons!!!

Still, at the end of the day, spend your money in ways that give you the most pleasure.

G.

Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

The comfort level camping would definitely depend on the climate and weather. if you are in the super hot parts of the USA where it never cools down at night even outside, you might really need AC. If you are prone to multiple rainy days in summer you might find camping miserable.

What keeps me away from a adding a camper onto my truck is (1) expense for something I am not going to use that much over any given summer; (2) adding weight to my truck, I now have a Ford F250 which is great for towing a 2 horse bumper pull up the mountains but I'm not sure about adding a camper too; (3) losing the storage space in the truck bed. When we go off with horses, the only place for hay and extra big gear is the truck bed. The tack room/dressing room is pretty much maxed out with tack, and I am not sure I could realistically manage with putting roof racks for 120 lb bales of hay on top of the trailer or truck. Plus honestly having another home away from home with a kitchen that I need to keep clean and tidy! I might try one some day and decide I love it and can't live without it, though.

Anywhere I go outside the city is going to be through mountains, so I really need truck power.

Comment

We have done them all! But the most expensive of course would be to own a trailer with LQ and use that at shows - this is what we do now as it works best for us, we enjoy it the most and it makes us happy.

Its a pain to have a hotel off the grounds. We never liked it for several reasons. 1: You never really feel like a "part" of the show as you don't have anywhere really to hang out when you are done or once you arrive. When you get there early in the am to feed, braid etc you may have several hours before you show, so where do you "hang" out? 2: If its hot out, you have no where to cool down really for the day 3: If you have any pets, this can be an issue of course 4: I hate being away from my ponies in case there's an issue.

Now I can wake up, roll out of bed, feed early if needed (I was up last weekend at 4:45 to feed) and then go back to bed for an hour or so and then start my day! We can make lunches in our kitchen, hang out in the AC if needed, I can put my dog in the trailer if its too hot for him or raining out. I have a shower and toilet = heaven! We can watch movies and tv at night.

So for us, a trailer with LQ is totally worth it. You may not have to go too crazy on a trailer, depending on what you do (we do pleasure driving shows, line shows, hunter shows, dressage shows, combined driving shows and need a large trailer. We do have a custom 52' trailer with 12' LQ, but not everyone needs one this size of course!).

Comment

I love camping and have spent a lot of time backpacking and roughing it, but.... at horse events, the AC and the shower in my LQ are freaking amazing. Not to mention a real bed. Most of the events I do (endurance, CTR) you have to camp with your horse and I spent several years either in a tent (if DH came along) or sleeping in the dressing room of my GN. My last straw that prompted my decision to get an LQ was a night I spent in the dressing room where it was pouring, the roof was leaking, the battery quit so I had no lights and there was a giant ant nest that some how got in.
                "Traditions are basically just peer pressure from dead people"

Comment

You don't have to go full blown LQ. I have a DR with an 8' short wall and have managed to make that into a relative comfortable area with L-shaped patio furniture and a large cabinet for toaster oven with small fridge w/separate freezer comp. Water is in the upright corner units with a camping toilet in the horse compartment. I had plugs and a/c added when I bought the trailer. Just remember insulation is the key to comfort but you can manage a less expensive version of a full blown LQ if you choose.

Comment

My weekender package trailer is 23 yrs old and we've gotten every penny out of it. The #1 thing for me is the insulation. It stays cooler and drier. You can leave it packed up, zero mildew in all those yrs. We got a good camp type mattress that has no sag - it's air but firm. No roll and pitch. A regular mattress was too thick for the low ceiling height in the GN. We have portable cots to add in the horse area. I don't need all the kitchen - but like plugging in the under the counter refrigerator when possible, esp for longer stays. An awning and a table and an electric skillet work fine. NEED the AC! A supply of baby wipes do duty some times. We use a portable electric heater when needed. No one died.
                    The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

Working...
                    X