Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Front - Main
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Please Critique My Idea of Boarding 1 Horse on My Farm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given your limitations and requirements I would not take in a boarder. It doesn't sound like your needs and a boarder's needs would match.

Comment

Originally posted by MsM View Post
      Given your limitations and requirements I would not take in a boarder. It doesn't sound like your needs and a boarder's needs would match.
      This is true. Places that charge 450/month in this area have big arenas (some covered), big paddocks or pastures, hot/cold wash rack, feed premium feed/hay included, and are full care with big nice stalls. That's this area though, where boarding is pretty easy to find so the barns have to stay competitively priced.

Comment

We still, I don't think, know where OP lives so her price might be spot on (or not, I may have missed it).

Just two thoughts and I'll go.

First, please don't get a donkey as a companion. I know you already said you won't, but I just need to poke my long nose in here about it. Sometimes, sadly more often than not, donkeys and horses do not get along well. Some horses, for whatever reason, take a strong dislike to donkeys and will run them. Donkeys like other donkeys. Also, donkeys are NOT cheaper to keep. They still need their feet and teeth done, they still need to see a vet, my boys get their sheaths done annually.... And they often need more maintenance in regards to fencing and limiting food.

As for references, a word to the wise: require the last TWO boarding facilities, vets, etc for references. I had the current BO of someone who was applying to board with me lie to me over the phone about what a great horse Dobbin was, etc etc, super nice to have around. For unrelated reasons, I passed, and later was contacted by that very same BO telling me what a bullet I dodged, the horse couldn't be kept inside any kind of fencing. I was gobsmacked. She told me she lied because she was desperate to get rid of her and was bummed I said no.
        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

If what you're looking for is extra income with not too much risk, frankly, I would just go get a part-time job. If your mom (thank you for helping her, BTW; that is wonderful of you) is mostly independent, maybe she would be okay if you took on alittle work off of the farm.

Comment

I agree with SharonA. Really, just about any other idea would be better than boarding 1 horse to make a little extra cash. Why not get a part time job doing something that you don't mind? You might get lucky and get the perfect person/horse, but even then it would not be a money maker once your time, effort, supplies, insurance, risk, annoyance were all factored in. IRL, smaller BOs are at a VERY high risk to get taken advantage of by unexpectedly crazy/difficult/reluctant to pay clients. It can potentially be a huge financial risk--what would you do if you had an elderly or sick horse abandoned with you? This kind of stuff happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Redemption3 View Post
              Three years ago I had a life changing event- needing to help my elderly mother. I had to move, give up some things and now stay on my small 12 acre farm most of the time but she is still independent. My farm is paid for. I've downsized my goats to focus my humble income on my 20 yr. old gelding. In the past Ive had two horses resident together but two were not affordable (in addition to dairy goats) and neither were safe/sound to ride. I say that because I know two horses do fine here.

So I've been thinking to offer full board for one mare so my Ol Man can have a companion and I can get a little extra income. I can divide his barn from 1 12 x 24 to 2 12 x 12 stalls. His paddock is 1/4 acre sacrificed most of the year and 1/4 acre wooded where it is cool and breezy.

I live off of a recreational trail and within 10 miles of state park trails so the area is a good horsey area. Also have a horse trailer and would offer to haul the mare to trails once a week if needed. Can also offer trailer parking and tack storage.

I don't have any special amenities. The full board would be without arena, without wash rack, without any training or lessons which I'm not qualified to offer, though I could find a reputable trainer to come out here if that were the case. Obviously they would pay for training. My area is primarily Western trail riding, btw.

My thoughts are to include a coastal bermuda roll of hay every three weeks (which is about the time it takes one horse to go through), offer fly mask, fly spray, blanketing etc. all included in the full board price. Additional feed would be owner's responsibility as would be farrier and vet, though I would be here to handle mare. And I could do the feed runs for her within reason.

Price would be around $450/ month.

Naturally I'm thinking of a perfectly behaved, healthy mare but I would require prior references, vet and farrier reference, etc. to weed out difficult situations . One thing: I don't know how this would affect my insurance. They didn't bat an eye when I had two at the time they visited for the initial application. Horses weren't even mentioned by them.

Advice?
              Originally posted by Redemption3 View Post
              I would be offering it at $450. If that isn't possible I would rethink it but I'm basically available 24/7 at that price. There are pasture boards around me for $250.
              You mention pasture board in your area is $250. What is board in your area for the type of arrangement you describe above? If $450 is the going rate, your plan might be doable after considering all the caveats posted above.

I wouldn't offer to haul the boarder as part of the "included" board price. But I would offer it at an additional modest/competitive rate. You don't want to include something in board, only to find you must deny the boarder said amenity because she wants to trail ride on the same days you work, for example. If including grain in the cost of board is the norm for your area consider doing the same and just make sure your board rate is set at a level that accommodates grain/feed.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by OneTwoMany View Post

You mention pasture board in your area is $250. What is board in your area for the type of arrangement you describe above? If $450 is the going rate, your plan might be doable after considering all the caveats posted above.

I wouldn't offer to haul the boarder as part of the "included" board price. But I would offer it at an additional modest/competitive rate. You don't want to include something in board, only to find you must deny the boarder said amenity because she wants to trail ride on the same days you work, for example. If including grain in the cost of board is the norm for your area consider doing the same and just make sure your board rate is set at a level that accommodates grain/feed.
                Thank you. Grain is not always included in boarding prices here. Prices are very variable. Pasture board here has no shelter or hay and is all grass, all the time with nothing additional. Hay is extra cost in the winter months. I've only boarded with training which was $600/ month included alfalfa pellets and a coastal hay roll in the field. The turnout that was sparse grass. The arena was corral panels (which incidentally I could do here).

Elite boarding begins at $550. That is a dressage/eventing stable with high dollar horses living a cushy life. Full amenities. They get turned out, grain and hay in the stall. That is the boarding price only.

Around $375 pasture board with hay in the field and maybe grain (which could be 10% sweet feed). No special services.

I think $450 is reasonable, especially for a retired horse that needs care, in the sense that what I don't offer is balanced by what I do offer. I'm almost always here unless I'm out on errands which is about once or twice every couple of weeks. I'm outside observing and hanging out with my Ol Man throughout the day. That's me. I like to do that and I would do that with a boarded horse as well.

Currently I'm thinking to include grain and maybe buy the corral panels to make an round pen (you got me thinking). I'd have to detail the grain type and amount- or customize the rate if owner describes the grain type and amount, to make the rate workable for me. Trailer parking included and tack storage also. It seems quite do-able for my area.

All of this would be written down and passed by a lawyer. I know it is a risk but everything carries a risk. Relatively speaking the risk is not a great one. Still many months to think about and consider.
                Last edited by Redemption3; Aug. 14, 2019, 11:47 AM.
                Caring for Clifford, my big red dog and assorted monkeys, I mean goats. Protected by a few loyal Anatolian Shepherd Dogs and Kangals.

Comment

There seems to be a vast jump in services in your area if $550 gets you top of the line care and $375 gets you pasture board with hay. If you are going to charge me $450 for what you've described initially, I'm coming up with another $100 in my budget to board at the elite barn.

Agree with the others, you're probably better off just looking for a part time job instead of taking on a boarder.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lah0808 View Post

Agree with the others, you're probably better off just looking for a part time job instead of taking on a boarder.
                    I can't be away like that. I'm a caregiver for my mother. If it were so simple, I would have chosen that route already.
                    Caring for Clifford, my big red dog and assorted monkeys, I mean goats. Protected by a few loyal Anatolian Shepherd Dogs and Kangals.

Comment

What makes your 1/4 dry lot with a run in stall worth $200 more than the $250 pasture board? Most people I know would prefer to have more pasture. Also, is it fair to cut your geldings very limited space in half?

Comment

Working...
                      X