Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_1001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Talk some Sense into me... or Don't ; )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk some Sense into me... or Don't ; )

Doing my usual daily COTH surfing & my eye was caught by a Featured RE ad.

So...... I rolled on over to the Marketplace & found my potential Dream Farm. In SC. Near Tryon.
    Things in my favor:
    #1-Asking price is very doable if I sell my Midwest farmette. I could almost pay cash and have a teenytiny mortgage if any.
    Bonus Points for a just-across-the-road neighbor with same acreage as me but much smaller barn & no indoor, who just sold for more than I thought the place was worth. Hence my property may have gone Cha-Ching$

#2-Already setup for horses (Duh!), minimal changes would be needed < fencing to expand pasture, etc.
    Ditto for house on the property

#3-No.More.Polar.Vortex.EVER!

Things I worry about:
    #1-Weather - Summer forecast for the area looks HOT, 90s & humid with Feels-Like 100
    As much as Winter is a royal PITA, I really do not care for hot & humid.
    Place has central air, so I suppose I'd hibernate much as I do here for the 3 or so months of Ugh.

#2-Friends - although I really don't have that tight a circle here that has any sort of longevity - close horsepals I've only known for 3yrs. Other friends are scattered all over the US or in the Big City - a 1h drive - and those are ever-changing.
    Guess if I haven't made any Die-For friends in my 15yrs here I may as well start in a new state, sans Winter

IIRC, there's a relatively recent thread here on moving to SC... or NC?****

While I look for that, please provide COTH input on pulling up stakes for the last major move I will ever make.

****OK - how the heck do I Search for that thread?
    I cannot, for the life of me, find the Search function
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

You can't go wrong as you get older to go from colder to warmer.
    You will be able to do more yourself into real old age in warmer, more questionable in colder.

As you say, hot you can stay inside other than a quick jaunt to do chores.
    Cold you have to prepare more and do more chores.
    It is also harder in cold to do maintenance and repairs.

That is why so many go South when is time to move and age starts making itself known.

Comment

• Original Poster

Bluey Agreed!
      At 69 I am more on the way than I've ever been.
      Each Winter gets just a bit harder to manage the farm by myself
      Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

I’m going to be an enabler. I’m younger but with many injuries and I can’t do cold. I love winter. I love skiing. But I want to visit it not live in it.

I would seriously consider the move.

mvp just moved to SC I believe.

Comment

pm eventgroupie2 for daily weather details ... tell her I sent you
          she moved from Va to Aiken .... now boards her horses has a house with pool ... I don’t think she misses the barn work.
          She will tell you everything you want or don’t want to know.

I don’t believe I could take the heat / humidity there ...even though last winter .. snow storms were back and spirit breaking.

I understand your interest .....
          Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

• Original Poster

Denali6298 & Zu Zu Thanks for the tips on relocated COTH peeps.

Honestly, I think I'd miss having horses at home.
            My Personal Measure so far has been the 40# bags of bedding & 50# bags of grain.
            When those become unmanageable, even with the handcart, that's when I'll reconsider.

Meantime, I will check with those 2 for info on things like hay prices & vet/shoer availability.
            Though I imagine with Tryon nearby, the pros s/b too.

​​​​​
            Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

I will enable you and say go for it! I am a few years younger than you, and five years ago we relocated from Pennsylvania to Tennessee for many of the same reasons you mentioned. We enjoy a lower cost of living, lower cost of real estate, lower taxes, plus much better weather.

We get the heat and humidity where we are, and we work around it. I ride either early or late, and enjoy the benefit of central air during the day. We have an extra long Spring and Fall compared to where we lived previously and enjoy them that much more.

I know a few few people who have relocated to Aiken over the years because of the great weather and horse situation , so you may find it easier to make friends there due to having more in common with people.
              "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

Many of the equestrian folks we know in the Aiken, Tryon area, leave in the summer. Heat can be intense. They come "up North" to enjoy summer weather.

Other things to check out are prices on regular hay, not coastal, find a regular source of good stuff. Much of the hay is imported according to our friends, so it can be pricy. Do you want to buy hay out of town and haul loads home yourself? Lots of sand in those areas, could be an issue with your horses. Also I hear there are fire ants to deal with in fields. Sure they can be dealt with, but it is another farm job to stay on top of. You would need to learn a new way of managing things. Fun or work?

Next would be places to enjoy your equines. Lots of trails, places to ride there, but are they "local" to you in that new house? Or will you need to haul someplace, maybe a distance, everytime you want to get out of your arena space?

It does sound really tempting after last winter! We just got in our third load of winter hay, one more to go. Not going to get caught short next spring!

Comment

Do it!!

I'm a native New Englander. I moved to NC for work and decided I never wanted to leave.

Yes, summers are kind of miserable. But if you have a flexible job, or no job at all, and can ride everyone before 10am, you'll be fine. And not having to deal with winter (pushing wheelbarrows through snow, picking snowballs out of feet, breaking ice on water buckets and troughs, having to wear so many layers you can no longer move.... the list of things I do NOT miss could go on for pages!) is well worth the trade in my opinion.

Hay is surprisingly expensive, so definitely factor that into your budget. If the farm has suitable acreage, you won't need to feed as much or any hay for much of the year though. There are several good barns out there, and therefore I assume access to good vets and farriers, and quality trainers and shows, will be good.

I love having my horses at home, and there are hundreds of threads on that... but definitely horsekeeping in the south is easier than the north.
                  A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Make a quick trip to SC and see how it is. Check real estate prices and see if the place in SC will hold its value or increase like your place in the Midwest has (though that could change for both places). Don't forget to factor the cost of the move itself, closing costs etc. it can get quite expensive when you add up all the "other" costs involved with buying and selling. Check hay costs, cost of equine care, farriers, state and local taxes, property taxes, utilities etc. Don't forget SC can get hurricanes, so insurance might be higher. Otherwise, the change might be nice!

Comment

I agree with you, 2DogsFarm, having lived with the Polar Vortex here in lower MI. After living here the past 18 years, DH and I are now officially retired and are currently building a home in NC in Rutherford County, about 15 minutes from Tryon.

Winters in MI have been particularly brutal the past several winters with me getting some frost bite last winter when the temp in our barn showed 16 below. Feeding and cleaning stalls is miserable in that kind of weather. (You JUST can’t take off your ski mittens! I so know.)

We will be moving south once we sell our small farm. We love our new property, our neighbors, and knowing that winter will be much easier on our bodies. I don’t mind snow and ice - can plan ahead and can stay home until it eases up which will be much sooner than in MI where we get lake effect snow and lots of it.

I am worried about hay prices though. We just got a load of really nice grass/alfalfa mix for $5 a bale two weeks ago. My farrier sells his for $6 a bale so not looking forward to higher prices. DH said he would drive back to MI but then you’ve got to figure in the cost of gas. Time won’t be a factor though. Will see.

We are planning on trailering in for lessons and trail riding to a nearby horse farm/equestrian center and am looking forward to that. Humidity is something I don’t look forward to but can’t be worse than living in central KY for six years where humidity levels are/were truly horrible.

Leaving my family (sister and brother who live in my current area), well, that’s the hard part. (This is where I grew up.) It will be difficult getting back for major holidays. So, lots of pluses and minuses. But winter, plowing our long driveway, and my DH’s medical conditions are the deciding factors. I just hate moving and I hate moving horses too.

I agred with several other posters here. Go visit SC and look around and ask lots of questions. Living on your own and doing what you have to do in the winter make life very tough, especially after you hit 60. Good luck and happy exploring the possibilities of a new life!
                      Last edited by going gray; Jul. 13, 2019, 10:10 AM. Reason: syntax

Comment

I live in Charlotte, NC. If the place is very near Tryon in the mountains, you'd be in better shape with the heat than where I am. My only input is summer is not just three months around these parts. It's summer from May through October. I've been here 11 years now, coming from upstate NY and I'm still not ok with the heat.

Comment

Two things to embrace before coming south: our new normal is hotter and more humid for longer portions of the year (it's our version of the polar vortex) plus... Hurricanes. And hay costs more every year. And with all the rain in the Midwest it's going to get more expensive this fall, I'm certain.

If you can cope with that, what's not to like?

Oh right... How do you feel about really larger flying cockroaches? Aka palmetto bugs...
                          Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

I still contend that, in the cold everything is harder and more work than in the heat.

In the worst of a very hot, humid spell you can manage and wait.

In the worst of a cold spell, more goes wrong, there is more to do, for longer stretches of time and it can't wait.

Hurricanes, blizzards, those just add trouble, so do earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, etc.

There is no perfect place, but some are better than others when it comes to caring for a place and it's critters.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                              I still contend that, in the cold everything is harder and more work than in the heat.

In the worst of a very hot, humid spell you can manage and wait.

In the worst of a cold spell, more goes wrong, there is more to do, for longer stretches of time and it can't wait.

Hurricanes, blizzards, those just add trouble, so do earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, etc.

There is no perfect place, but some are better than others when it comes to caring for a place and it's critters.
                              I agree with this 100%. We raised pigs in the Northeast, and I had a fear of falling and knocking myself out on the ice and no one finding me until I was frozen to death. In the heat, you can plan accordingly and be out and about at the cooler times of day. It is not that easy in cold freezing weather! And there is nothing worse than frozen waters, hoses or water lines!
                              "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

I can up with a motto years ago...."In my old age...I can't go fast enough to stay warm....but I CAN go slowly enough to stay COOL!!
                                www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

FWIW...we are also headed back to the Carolinas after 12 years in Ok. and 2+ in NE Texas. I prefer to die with sand between my toes than MUD!!
                                  www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                  Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Do it! I've lived in GA, now have horses in MA, and it's so much easier to manage them in the south.

I found it pretty nice in the early AM and late PM in the south - you can get all the chores down between 5:30am-8am, and do night check in shorts at 9pm pretty comfortably. Not true in the North - where early and late horsekeeping hours are brutal.

I think what horses down south need the most is deep shade and fans, to keep the bugs off. Keep us posted!

Comment

Aiken area is very sandy. Tryon area has real dirt. Tryon should be cooler than Aiken. I just showed in Aiken mid week and it was pretty miserable. Hot and sultry. The Tryon area is booming right now for horse people. Not too far from Greenville, SC, Asheville NC and about 2 hours to Charlotte NC.
                                      RIP Mydan Mydandy+
                                      RIP Barichello

Comment

I guess I will be one of the few dissenters. I don't do well in heat. Even dry heat. I grew up in southern California. Near the coast wasn't too bad. But in the hot parts of summer, during show season, I had to be very careful because I was prone to heat-related illness. I actually blacked out while on horseback during a clinic once. Not fun. As a young adult I moved inland towards the more desert-like climate near Galway Downs. It is 90+ degrees from June through October there, and usually 100 or more in July, August, and often September. I spent the majority of my time in the summer inside in the AC. If there was added humidity from monsoon season, forget going outside at all. Yeah, winter is nice there. So November through May I could go outside without worrying about dying.

Fast forward many years. I am married to a guy who was born and raised in Wisconsin. After visiting his hometown many times, even during the frigid winter, I began to dream of being able to go outside and enjoy spring, summer, and fall. Winter made me nervous, but I reasoned, I can always dress up more to stay warm. There are only so many layers you can take off to stay cool before it starts being illegal, at least in public. So, we decided to move to frozen Wisconsin (weather was only one consideration, of course).

Yes, winter sucks. But it's really only very bad in January, February, and sometimes March. The rest of the time I can handle being outside. We are in western Wisconsin so don't get the crazy lake effect snowfalls. I LOVE LOVE LOVE summer here. Only a few weeks of bad humidity and high heat. I can handle that. Fall is gorgeous. December is so fun when it's cold and snowy for Christmas. Then January hits and I want to fast forward to spring. But that's the trade off.

But, I am also relatively young and healthy. I can understand how age might change that opinion, especially if you're also trying to take care of horses in the winter.
                                        Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

Comment

Working...
                                        X