Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_1001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Best outlet/fan timers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best outlet/fan timers

I did a search but there was a lot to look through so I thought I'd just ask directly.

I am looking for the best/most reliable/cheap-ish outlet timers for the fans in my shed. The shed is the overhang on the barn so the outlets are on a switch (two outlets on either short side on one switch).

I would like to set the timer to have either a) two windows of time (like 6:30AM-9:30AM and 5PM-9PM) OR b) one window of time (6:30AM-9PM) where I can just switch the outlets off when I bring the horses in and turn it on when they go out and the timer resumes it's place in the cycle.

With the second option, I wonder if turning the outlet off will reset the outlet timer such that I'll have to manually reset it every time. I've never used outlet timers and I want to get the right ones the first time. They will be under a roof and out of reach of the horses but exposed to some dust. I've seen the analog "dial" ones and new digital ones.

What are you guys using?

I'd like to know too.

Comment

I'm going with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Woods-50015WD.../dp/B006LYHG42

Rated for outdoor use, digital with an internal battery backup, and can set on/off times.

Comment

1. Mine are older and similar to this, except they are 4-outlets, not two.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRIME-15-Am...-Timer/4740852

I hate these short cords. If you have to use an extension cord, buy a heavy duty contractor's extension cord.

2. Yes, if you shut the timer off or have a power failure, you have to manually reset this style timer -- I can't speak to other styles

Comment

I always wonder about the safety if these things. My electrician says anytime you plug one thing into another, you risk it heating up (note: that's my interpretation of what he said )

Comment

I have nothing to add, but my handy tip for when the power DOES go out... it really helps to use a sharpie to identify a few key time points (and the arrow on the moveable part of the dial) on the dial, because about the only thing I can see without my glasses (which are not with me when I am in the barn) is where it changes color at 6AM and 6 PM
            Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

I have found the cheap ones from Wal-Mart, the ones with the little pins, not to work at ALL for me. However, the cheap digital ones from Wal-Mart have worked great. They have two on and off times. I think about $13 each. I'm using one for a fan for the chickens right now, I typically use them for lights for the chickens come fall and winter to keep them on 14 hours of light a day.
              It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
                I'm going with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Woods-50015WD.../dp/B006LYHG42

Rated for outdoor use, digital with an internal battery backup, and can set on/off times.
                appears to be a very versatile timer that carries a CSA mark which is equal to a UL or ETL Listing

When I was working in manufacturing one of my duties was to accompany products to be tested by UL..The things they do to insure a product safety are pretty destructive like hitting electronics with 50,000 volts to see what occurs.

The first test is to see if it preforms as designed then they abuse it to a point that at times destroys the item... some survive and continue to function others just stop working without causing any unintended operations

Comment

Originally posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
                  I have found the cheap ones from Wal-Mart, the ones with the little pins, not to work at ALL for me. However, the cheap digital ones from Wal-Mart have worked great. They have two on and off times. I think about $13 each. I'm using one for a fan for the chickens right now, I typically use them for lights for the chickens come fall and winter to keep them on 14 hours of light a day.
                  Oh, tell me about your chicken fan! What are you using?

And clanter you know all sorts of interesting stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by Simkie View Post

Oh, tell me about your chicken fan! What are you using?

And clanter you know all sorts of interesting stuff!!
                    Just the $19.99 box fan on special at Wal-Mart. In purple I put it in the people door of the coop, on the floor, and it blows toward the pop door. I can't tell whether they're afraid of it or just prefer being outside, but by the time I get home from work they're all huddled in the slice of shade outside the coop I do think they stand in there during the heat of the day though. It makes me feel better. I left the timer set how it was for the lights, on at 5am and off at 8pm.
                    It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

Working...
                    X