• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lesson Only Facility - Viable Business Plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson Only Facility - Viable Business Plan

Once we get our small horse facility up and going, I will have room to board a couple horses. To be honest, I really don't want to be in the boarding business. If I come across a really great client, then I would not mind boarding. It is a very time consuming venture, that can put a lot of stress on a small facility. Both hubby and I work other jobs - I am a school teacher, and he is a paramedic that works 24 hour shifts - one day on, with two days off.

On the other hand, I would love to begin a lesson program - small at first - and see where it goes. What I envision is offering lesson services on our property, and perhaps instruction at the client's location, depending on the situation. We live in a rural area in western NC that does not boast of many stables where a person can obtain good, quality, basic riding instruction locally. I myself travel at least one hour to ride with an FEI level trainer, and in the past have had to travel up to 2 and a half hours, one way, to work with a quality instructor.

In addition to offering lessons, I would like to be able to host clinics with credentialed industry professionals. There are a few interested riders in my area who are willing to travel for clinics and such. Like myself, due to job or time constraints, or simply lack of knowledge, they have not been able to seek out quality instruction that is sometimes far from home.

So I guess my questions is this - how realistic would it be to develop and base a business model, on a horse business that offers lessons, and educational events to clients - and relies less on boarding and training to make income.

Could this type of plan provide a moderate level of income for a person who is looking to start up a small horse business, to supplement income from another job - at least for a while? It seems that most facilities offer the boarding/training as primary services - just wondering how much good, quality instruction and providing educational opportunities would stand on its own. Any thoughts?

Actually, with the right school horses and a summer camp (programs during school holidays would be an added extra...think daycare with horses), you should be able to do quite well. Boarding is almost always just break even and a hassle.

I

Good luck. Sounds like fun.

Comment

Where I used to board in AZ, the primary function of the barn was beginner lessons. Every afternoon during the school year, the minivans would arrive!

September would start out with "hold the reins like an ice cream cone" and by April they would be ready for a mini event and an open-type show (just the lesson kids and maybe a couple of extras from down the road.)

She would also do a "lesson lease" where for a fixed amount, the kid would get to call a particular horse their own, though they were generally not allowed to ride outside of lessons. It depended on the age and ability though, some of the kids were allowed extra rides, but always supervised.

There were horse camps (like LauraKY said, daycare with horses) with both riding and other activities.

She also hosted local scout troops getting various badges, and every few years would teach a community college horse management class. (She was also a teacher, and had done Pony Club through her B rating.)

It worked out well, because the horses were borrowed from the summer camp up in the mountains that she also worked at. So they were down in the valley during the school year, and when it got miserably hot, she and the horses headed north.

Like you, she didn't really want or need boarders, but if you came through word of mouth you could get in.

I think there's definitely a workable business model in there.
      --
      Wendy
      ... and Patrick

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey - thanks for the great ideas! I should of said in the OP that I would also like to target adults - espec. beginners or those with years of "experience" that maybe never had formal instruction. Any suggestion for tapping into that segment of the population?

I was thinking that where I could tie in the adult learner is through carefully planned clinic/educational events on the farm. I am primarily a dressage rider, although I would not market the farm's programs as "dressage only". My personal philosophy in planning my educational programs would be to teach from a balanced seat approach, founded on really solid BASICS, that could be applied to any discipline. Clinics would include dressage for me, with instructors that I am interested in working with, but may not be possible to ride with in regular lessons (due to distance, time, etc.). My hubby is interested in reining and western disciplines, and so we could tie in some really good regional clinicians that focus on communication, building confidence, with maybe a tad of natural horsemanship thrown in for good measure. That would target a lot of local interest around here. I would not be opposed to bringing in event instructors, from time to time, to target those who are interested in some jumping instruction, etc.

My familiarity are with lessons in successful dressage barns, so that is why I'm coming here asking for "ideas". My experience with dressage, the riders generally have their own horses that they trailer into to a trainer's facility for lessons, etc. Its just a one-shot focus. I am trying to think of ways that the focus could be expanded a bit.

I have 15 years of experience as a classroom teacher, and so educating others in something that is my passion (good horsemanship - regardless of discipline) is something that I would love to share with others. I think it would bring me a great deal of satisfaction. It would be wonderful to see a strong educational program grow here in my neck of the woods.

Over the years, I have had quite a few kids that I teach at my middle school approach me about their interest in horses, wanting to learn more about them. Many of them have seemed more interested in just having a place to come and spend time with them, and learn about them, even more than riding! That surprises me a little bit. Then again, I think back to when I was a horse-crazy little girl, and I can totally identify with them. There definitely were no barns in my area back then where I could of gone to hang out and just learn.

Thanks so much for the ideas! Looking forward to hearing from others too!

Comment

My trainer has very few boarders (me and one other person at the moment), takes the occasional select horse in for training, and the rest of the time does ship-in lessons. She also lets a local jumper trainer teach ship-in lessons (she has an indoor, so most of the students are people who keep their horses at home, thus don't have an indoor or a trainer on hand). Some weekends she has "workshops" where a dozen regulars ship in to do a long morning session on a specific topic (usually as much a fun social event for all of us as anything). Now and then she hosts a clinic. There's a good amount of demand from the type of student I described above - keeps horse at home and doesn't have an indoor, but wants to work on their own or their horse's skills in preparation for competition, or just for the sake of it.

Comment

barns make their money off of training and lessons. boarding rarely yields a profit. Having a couple of your own horse sthat you do a couple of lessons on a day/week sounds like the ideal way to make the horses pay for themselves and possibly have some extra on the side.
            I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
            My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
            She Ain't No Small Potato!

Comment

The most important thing...if you plan to teach adults is your experience and qualifications. What level do you ride, are you certified and are you good enough to generate interest in trailer ins?

Comment

• Original Poster

Laura - I have had horses most of my life, and for the past 12 years I have had the great good fortune to work with some excellent FEI level dressage instructors. I have also participated in quite a few clinics with FEI level instructors, a couple of them being internationally known. I have started young horses, and brought them along to good solid citizens under saddle. I do not show much, as I live in a rural area, and it involves a good bit of travel to get to shows. I'd rather invest in my own education going to excellent trainers, and clinics where I can contribute to my own education. I would not begin to instruct higher level dressage riders or even bill myself as a dressage instructor, but I can certainly hold my own where teaching beginner riders are concerned, and even intermediate riders who need a set of good, competent eyes on the ground to help occasionally. I also have 15 years of experience as a classroom teacher, so I understand how people learn, and have a good grasp on a variety of teaching methods.

Comment

I am basically doing what you are planning. Its great! What I learned from working for others - those that were successful were true "people" persons along with being good horsemen (or women!). Great personalities that are warm and welcoming to their customers no matter the day or weather or mood they are in. That is what I strive for, along with good, solid, correct instruction. You must be ready for truly difficult children, timid fearful adults, and the occasional know-it-all parent. But, all in all, I have my dream job - I don't get rich and I work my tail off, but I also truly enjoy it.

Comment

• Original Poster

WendellsGirl - thank you for a truly nice post! I love it! Its ironic, but as a public school teacher, I have had to learn to have a lot of tact and diplomacy in dealing with upset parents. I pride myself on the fact that there have been very few people over my career that I just simply could not work with. Most come around when they see that you are honest, fair, and truly interested in their child and in themselves as a person. I can totally identify with the fearful adult - there are times when I am fearful, and have been fearful, and have worked HARD to over come those fears. As for difficult children, well, safety is a big focus of mine. If they are so difficult that they will not take instruction and direction, and follow barn rules, then they are off the horse - period. If they and their parents get mad, they can take their business elsewhere. I don't need un safe situations going on.

Comment

I have a smallish barn (max 30 horses), so do training, some board (up to 10 horses) and lessons.

The "risks/costs" of lessons you may not have considered:
                      1) insurance costs. For me they depend on the number of horses I have AVAILABLE to use in lessons. it doesn't matter that most are used only a few days per week, and that there are only 1-3 people in a lessons.
                      2) Your main asset is an animal: As well as the difficulty in finding good lesson horses, you have to deal with the fact that they: go lame (needing time off and accruing vet bills), eventually need to be retired, sometimes go sour or just don't work out in a lesson type environement, and can be hard to find.
                      3) Really hard to budget how much a lesson horse may cost when vet bills can really run to whatever...when you have 6 horses that are supposed to be EARNING money, you may have to make some hard decisions.

I have found the barns that truely make money teaching lessons with lesson horses, have large programs with 3 - 4 hours of group lessons a night, and 12-20 horses doing 10 or so lessons a week, and instructors that are thrilled to make $20.00 an hour to teach them. Volume is somewhat key to a lesson program.

Although I suppose if you are a truely above average teacher and can charge bigger bucks, then you would also be ahead of the game, but you would still need to make sure you have lesson horses and a back up plan in case one (or two) go lame.

That said, I love teaching. I do think I make more on board and training than teaching as I teach more to share the joy of riding than to make the big bucks, but I am sure someone with more business sense than I could make some money at it!

One risk with not having room to board though, would be that you may be discouraging students who want to one day own a horse from coming to your barn.

To answer your other question, I do teach mostly adults (mostly returning riders who used to jump and either want to get back into jumping or want to learn the basics of dressage), and I think that is in part because I will not teach anyone under 12 years old and adults appreciate that. I also have a pretty forgiving cancellation policy that is inviting to professionals who sometimes just can't get out of work on time to make their lesson. I have also found that adults appreciate someone who can teach them why not just what.

Good luck!
                      Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Working...
                      X